Status
Not open for further replies.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
Everyone is
Tons of marketing roles just popped up, a lot related to Japan

careers.microsoft.com

Integrated Marketing Manager, Gaming in Tokyo, Tokyo-to, Japan | Marketing at Microsoft

Apply for Integrated Marketing Manager, Gaming job with Microsoft in Tokyo, Tokyo-to, Japan. Marketing at Microsoft

also:

careers.microsoft.com

Consumer Channel and Partner Marketing- Xbox in Tokyo, Tokyo-to, Japan | Marketing at Microsoft

Apply for Consumer Channel and Partner Marketing- Xbox job with Microsoft in Tokyo, Tokyo-to, Japan. Marketing at Microsoft
careers.microsoft.com

Xbox Category Manager - Content & Services in Tokyo, Tokyo-to, Japan | Marketing at Microsoft

Apply for Xbox Category Manager - Content & Services job with Microsoft in Tokyo, Tokyo-to, Japan. Marketing at Microsoft
careers.microsoft.com

Xbox Category Manager - Devices in Tokyo, Tokyo-to, Japan | Marketing at Microsoft

Apply for Xbox Category Manager - Devices job with Microsoft in Tokyo, Tokyo-to, Japan. Marketing at Microsoft
Interesting.

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017

careers.microsoft.com

Integrated Marketing Manager, Gaming in Tokyo, Tokyo-to, Japan | Marketing at Microsoft

Apply for Integrated Marketing Manager, Gaming job with Microsoft in Tokyo, Tokyo-to, Japan. Marketing at Microsoft

also:

careers.microsoft.com

Consumer Channel and Partner Marketing- Xbox in Tokyo, Tokyo-to, Japan | Marketing at Microsoft

Apply for Consumer Channel and Partner Marketing- Xbox job with Microsoft in Tokyo, Tokyo-to, Japan. Marketing at Microsoft
careers.microsoft.com

Xbox Category Manager - Content & Services in Tokyo, Tokyo-to, Japan | Marketing at Microsoft

Apply for Xbox Category Manager - Content & Services job with Microsoft in Tokyo, Tokyo-to, Japan. Marketing at Microsoft
careers.microsoft.com

Xbox Category Manager - Devices in Tokyo, Tokyo-to, Japan | Marketing at Microsoft

Apply for Xbox Category Manager - Devices job with Microsoft in Tokyo, Tokyo-to, Japan. Marketing at Microsoft

Wonderful news.

Also folks: grab Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom if you haven't already:

View: https://twitter.com/FDG_Games/status/1554070119168491526?t=kE3KrQvytEbBcFP1HWTttA&s=19

View: https://twitter.com/FDG_Games/status/1554535576484909060?t=a9a3m35YGPHtoSRWdOBnZg&s=08

Oct 25, 2017

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
I could use a little discount. Really want this, especially now that it's play anywhere, but it's so expensive here in Brazil.

Yeah, I waited for sale too. Already got 1000/1000 but really nice to see small devs coming back and fully supporting Series X and even a free PC play anywhere.

The Shape

Nov 7, 2017
Brazil
Finished Exo One last night. Fantastic game. Killer soundtrack, beautiful visuals, great and addictive gameplay. A very chill experience that is sometimes haunting and even scary, there's a particular setting that gave me a huge feeling of anxiety, it was
an entirely ocean planet, like the one in Interstellar.
Recommend it to anyone looking for a short Game Pass game, took me 1h40 minutes to finish.

Oct 25, 2017
This one ain't new, right?

careers.microsoft.com

Strategic Partner Manager in Tokyo, Tokyo-to, Japan | Business Development & Ventures at Microsoft

Apply for Strategic Partner Manager job with Microsoft in Tokyo, Tokyo-to, Japan. Business Development & Ventures at Microsoft

Microsoft Xbox Asia Creator Partnerships (ACP) team seeks a Strategic Partner Manager (SPM) for game publishing/development partners in Japan. Our key mission is to evangelize Microsoft's Gaming Vision and Initiatives and to create Win-Win relationships with our gaming partners. This would include acquiring, supporting, and releasing premium gaming contents from our partners onto Microsoft platforms such as Xbox Series X|S, Windows, Game Pass and Cloud Gaming.

btw, the director of japan creator partnerships role is already closed for applications

Montresor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This one ain't new, right?

careers.microsoft.com

Strategic Partner Manager in Tokyo, Tokyo-to, Japan | Business Development & Ventures at Microsoft

Apply for Strategic Partner Manager job with Microsoft in Tokyo, Tokyo-to, Japan. Business Development & Ventures at Microsoft

btw, the director of japan creator partnerships role is already closed for applications

I would kill at that role. Basically, give Spike Chunsoft, Arcsys, Atlus, Falcom, Capcom, NISA, and Bandai Namco and Sega whatever they want. Easy peezy.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
Tbh I still think that MS should go to the various Japanese publishers and offer to partially fund remasters of their more cult classic PS1/PS2 era games, particularly JRPGs, in exchange for Game Pass launches.

Stuff like Star Ocean, Valkyrie Profile, Shadow Hearts, Xenosaga, Suikoden and more. These games presumably wouldn't be worthwhile for the publishers to remaster on their own (I remember someone involved with Xenosaga saying that Bandai said an HD remaster wouldn't be profitable) but they're quality games and would definitely be a relatively cheap way to get a great library of JRPGs on Game Pass/Xbox while building up an audience and making Xbox more of a JRPG machine

Fabtacular

Jul 11, 2019
I'd like to think that, but absolutely nothing indicates that there's anything going on. They came out with Advanced Installs nine months ago, and more-or-less haven't touched anything with them since. You still can't add PCGP games to driver-utilities for things like custom mouse profiles, or add them to Steam. Being able to add PCGP games to Steam, and have things like the overlay, controller rebinding, remote play, so on, would basically invalidate most issues with the service being barebones. It's literally one thing they need to do, and if they're aware of the service's issues, they should be aware that they could easily piggy-back off of Valve and address a ton of complaints, like everyone else already can. But they won't.

I've been keeping track of updates and PR for a while, at this point the PC app only gets one update a month with 2-3 minor, often game-specific fixes each. Or things to do with cloud. Microsoft has never communicated the state of their PC gaming side in the same vein that they do for Xbox, it's more-or-less the same "We promise" stories they've come out with every year since 2007. They didn't even include anything PC-related in that big 20th anniversary metaverse thing; For some reason they didn't even track any of my hours on recent PC Gamepass stuff, but they did have my info for my time in Fallout 3 with GFWL? It's like the PC gaming side of Xbox doesn't actually exist as a part of Xbox. The nonexistent communication and very iffy "PCGP is part of Xbox except when it isnt" image really gives the feeling that they aren't actually doing anything with the service, that there's basically a skeleton crew just trying to keep it afloat.

On the buying things route, I think nobody is ever going to use Microsoft's offerings as a means to buy PC games, specifically because of Gamepass. Why would anyone buy a game there when there's a couple hundred on this subscription service I've been loading up for free through Bing searches?
I think it's a fair point to say that we have no evidence that they're working on revamping the store. But if they're revamping the store from the ground up, you wouldn't see it in the form of updates to the existing store. In fact, the scant updates to the existing PC app are arguably an indication that they've de-emphasized development of the PC app in favor of a separate solution. (This is all speculative, obviously.)

As an aside, it's funny to hear everyone's perspective on Xbox's console vs. PC focus. Console players bitch and moan about how Xbox isn't supporting them enough because they're not forcing certain PC titles to release day-and-date on console. The PC players, OTOH, bitch that Xbox is ignoring their needs and only cares about console. Just goes to show how our worldview is shaped by our perspective.

My understanding is that the biggest issue that the existing store faces is that it wasn't built for PC gaming, and was instead built for UWP apps like the iOS App Store, with the idea that Windows tablets / convertibles would function like iOS devices, and that this is why they can't "just do what Steam does" with the current store.

Putting PCGP on Steam is an absolute non-starter, IMO. You think Steam is going to shoulder all the overhead and expense of administering the Game Pass library without taking their 30% pound of flesh? No chance. And Microsoft certainly isn't going to give away 30% of their Game Pass revenue. Remember, MS' costs are fixed. So if they currently make $10 profit on every $100 annual PC Game Pass sub, giving Valve 30% of revenue would take them from a $10 profit to a $20 loss. It simply doesn't make sense, and certainly not when you're the market leader in the subscription gaming space. It's WAY cheaper to just sort your PC app issues. [Counterpoint: Consider whether they might make "Steam Support" a benefit of Game Pass Ultimate, essentially requiring PC players to pay $180 annually instead of $120. That would put MS at a net $126/sub for Steam users, netting them a minor increase in revenue for those players.]

And while purchases from the Microsoft Store currently aren't going to be material due to availability of games on Steam, Microsoft is contemplating a world where a material population of gamers is primarily gaming via Game Pass. Once you have people who mostly play via Game Pass, I don't think it's out-of-the-question to think that they might prefer to stay in the ecosystem for other purchased content. And that's going to be especially true if/when streaming starts to mature.

I think that's the big point of all of this. When you're running a billion-dollar business you have to be simultaneously planning for tomorrow, next year, and five years from now. You have to take different actions to address your goals within those different timeframes. Shoring up the PC experience should be part of a long-term plan to make the Xbox ecosystem something people want to spend time in rather than a necessary evil required to enjoy Game Pass benefits.

Gojo Satoru

Apr 19, 2022
Apparently MS will going to invest in Japan according to the list of jobs. Curious if MS is gonna show something at TGS.

Eira

Jun 3, 2021
Halo Infinite gets less and less inspired even in the shop. They are cycling armors which were before for buying.

It is my favorite franchise but... :(

Capt Sensib1e

Banned
Jun 4, 2022
Very good chance Fallout 76 outlasts Halo multiplayer, like it did Red Dead Online. Fallout has more of the branding/cosmetics inherently to it, no one wants to buy a gold plated horse buggy or a different gold plated Master Chief helmet.

Fabtacular

Jul 11, 2019
That's the good decision in my eyes. Especially with the VR market struggling to get mainstream and people now cutting in their spendings. And it won't drain first-party resources and budgets by developping games for a (imo niche) peripheral/product.
Yep. There's a dozen things that Xbox should be prioritizing over VR.

VR might be the future, but it reminds me of the early-90's BBS internet at this point. It's inconvenient and the utility is limited. I used my Quest 2 for maybe a month, but by two kids and my wife were done after a week or two. And the graphics weren't the issue. The problems with VR right now are more fundamental than that.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
RE: VR on Xbox

I will say it again and pretty much anytime I get the chance to, Just allow any VR headset to be used on this thing if it can connect. Though I do think MS was a bit dumb not to put USB-C on this for easy Quest 2 connection, but still, if it can connect, let it.

Brot

Oct 25, 2017
the edge
ah so he was actually right about the overabundance part
Thank you for the confirmation.

We really couldn't be sure whether the information from the former Bethesda Game Studios employee, who has been confirmed and verified by the mods, admins and Jason Schreier to be working on Starfield until they left the studio, was true or not. Despite sharing footage with the mods and/or admins here, I'm glad you came forward to confirm it. We really needed this.

YozoraXV

Oct 30, 2017
Tbh I still think that MS should go to the various Japanese publishers and offer to partially fund remasters of their more cult classic PS1/PS2 era games, particularly JRPGs, in exchange for Game Pass launches.

Stuff like Star Ocean, Valkyrie Profile, Shadow Hearts, Xenosaga, Suikoden and more. These games presumably wouldn't be worthwhile for the publishers to remaster on their own (I remember someone involved with Xenosaga saying that Bandai said an HD remaster wouldn't be profitable) but they're quality games and would definitely be a relatively cheap way to get a great library of JRPGs on Game Pass/Xbox while building up an audience and making Xbox more of a JRPG machine

I don't think remastering those games are as cheap and easy as you think, they would literally have to remake all the textures from scratch or they would look terrible. They would need a remaster on the level or FFX to be acceptable in this era and that would probably be a big undertaking and will likely on interest long time fans, unless they were releasing a new entry as well.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
I don't think remastering those games are as cheap and easy as you think, they would literally have to remake all the textures from scratch or they would look terrible. They would need a remaster on the level or FFX to be acceptable in this era and that would probably be a big undertaking and will likely on interest long time fans, unless they were releasing a new entry as well.
I don't think they would need to remake any textures or anything. Admittedly I haven't played all the games I listed, but I know that Xenosaga on PCSX2 looks absolutely incredible with just a boosted resolution. It's not like perfect or anything but they still look pretty damn good.

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017

captain-america-i-understood-that-reference.gif

Cool stuff that Sarah tweets about those games.

She's a treasure.

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
Hmm... the rumor around town seems to be that WB-Discovery is going to put HBO into Discovery+ and that they're building up the Discovery brand in case they want to sell WB later on (while keeping HBO I presume). I've long called for Microsoft to get WB-Discovery as a whole, so this move would be interesting for that dynamic.

View: https://twitter.com/GraceRandolph/status/1554558043010072577?s=20&t=8dhnzcyzygHboYkgWy726A

Why would MS want to get into the entertainment industry, though?

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
Why would MS want to get into the entertainment industry, though?
Cross media seems to be the future. Nintendo is getting into it. Sony is getting into it (even Bungie got acquired for it). Microsoft/Bethesda are getting into it with Minecraft movie, Halo, Fallout TV show. Sega has made Sonic relevant again with it. EA wants to merge with an entertainment company.

Spreading your IP across mediums is a great way to make them stronger and more popular. Also being able to utilize WB-Discovery IPs in video games. Getting WB game studios.

Lastly, their fellow big tech competitors (Apple, Amazon) are going hard with Prime Video and Apple TV+. Google is also making a bid for NFL Sunday Ticket.

Just seems like everyone is getting their fingers into entertainment whether thats gaming, cinema/TV, or both.

solis74

Jun 11, 2018

careers.microsoft.com

also:

careers.microsoft.com

careers.microsoft.com

careers.microsoft.com

very interesting.

Jul 22, 2022
Hmm... the rumor around town seems to be that WB-Discovery is going to put HBO into Discovery+ and that they're building up the Discovery brand in case they want to sell WB later on (while keeping HBO I presume). I've long called for Microsoft to get WB-Discovery as a whole, so this move would be interesting for that dynamic.

View: https://twitter.com/GraceRandolph/status/1554558043010072577?s=20&t=8dhnzcyzygHboYkgWy726A

It remains to be seen in what way they are gonna sell WB. Their huge debt is the problem and their DC IPs are heavily mismanaged, but I don't believe WB/D will be willing to sell DC or movie production capability.

Bengraven