Status
Not open for further replies.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
Hmm... the rumor around town seems to be that WB-Discovery is going to put HBO into Discovery+ and that they're building up the Discovery brand in case they want to sell WB later on (while keeping HBO I presume). I've long called for Microsoft to get WB-Discovery as a whole, so this move would be interesting for that dynamic.

View: https://twitter.com/GraceRandolph/status/1554558043010072577?s=20&t=8dhnzcyzygHboYkgWy726A

WB's gonna be a corpse by the time it's up for grabs 💀 still a ton of valuable IP though

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
Damn Marvelous & Xbox, Mineral Town needed more promotional pushes really.

None of these smaller Japanese games are hitting game pass lately, which limits their visibility and overall sales. As you said in the other thread, seems like they stopped after Danganronpa.

Maybe saving for TGS? Hard copium here lol.

Gojo Satoru

Apr 19, 2022
Hmm... the rumor around town seems to be that WB-Discovery is going to put HBO into Discovery+ and that they're building up the Discovery brand in case they want to sell WB later on (while keeping HBO I presume). I've long called for Microsoft to get WB-Discovery as a whole, so this move would be interesting for that dynamic.

View: https://twitter.com/GraceRandolph/status/1554558043010072577?s=20&t=8dhnzcyzygHboYkgWy726A

I think the game division will be sold soon.

AImalexia

Prophet of Truth
Aug 31, 2021
i know this is not the thread at all but la liga is really, really good. hopefully this deal makes it more marketable and the next tv deal is closer to the premier league so not only madrid, barça and atleti can sign good and hyped players.
for sure, the disparity between la liga and premier leaguer or even serie A is insane, basically only those three have money to spend, the rest, even sevilla, struggle to buy any player for more than 20m. i could go on about barcelona's spending but like you said not relevant to this topic 😂

W.S.

Honest Work
Oct 28, 2017
None of these smaller Japanese games are hitting game pass lately, which limits their visibility and overall sales. As you said in the other thread, seems like they stopped after Danganronpa.

I'm hesitant on what to expect from TGS Gamepass lineups.

They should be exciting and capitalize on JP games for the Japanese market as well as worldwide but Xbox has only just recently gotten more into saving some of these announcements for that particular venue. I'm hoping there's more along the lines of last year's Scarlet Nexus and AI Somnium Files in effort and surprise.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
King had a great quarter considering the drop in mobile spending

View: https://twitter.com/BenjiSales/status/1554471523985068035?t=NVrx72npaqt5STOz1XH7gg&s=19

Among the best-selling and most played games across all platforms in the second quarter were:
  • Among Us
  • Angry Birds 2
  • Bingo Blitz
  • Call of Duty: Warzone
  • Candy Crush Saga
  • Candy Crush Soda Saga
  • Clash of Clans
  • Coin Master
  • Diablo Immortal
  • Elden Ring
  • Evony: The King's Return
  • Fortnite
  • Grand Theft Auto V
  • Homescapes
  • Kirby and the Forgotten Land
  • LEGO Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga
  • Madden NFL 22
  • Mario Kart 8
  • Minecraft
  • MLB The Show 22
  • Pokémon GO
  • Roblox
  • Royal Match
  • The Sims 4
  • State of Survival.

MLB The Show, huh? That's surprising and impressive. Is it normal to see that game doing so well or is this partially attributable to Game Pass? That's kinda awesome, I always thought it would get overshadowed by other games. Good to see it's holding its own. Interestingly, the only PlayStation 1st party game on this list, meanwhile Minecraft is the only Xbox 1st party game on the list. Nintendo has 3 of its properties represented on the list.

ABK alone is on here 4 times XD - and Activision/COD, Blizzard, and King are all represented haha.

lol these are on every store. Windows store was a nightmare for these for a very long time. I actually think the problem is far better on Xbox than on Switch or PlayStation. That said, it's not illegal to make a "parody" of all of these, right? Wonder how murky the legal ground is to actually reject these games, actually XD

Finished Exo One last night. Fantastic game. Killer soundtrack, beautiful visuals, great and addictive gameplay. A very chill experience that is sometimes haunting and even scary, there's a particular setting that gave me a huge feeling of anxiety, it was
an entirely ocean planet, like the one in Interstellar.
Recommend it to anyone looking for a short Game Pass game, took me 1h40 minutes to finish.
It's definitely a cool game. A lot of people have mixed feelings on it, but there were a few times when I got up into the upper atmosphere for whatever reason and was speeding around at full bore where it was just a really great feeling. That one level with the asteroids, though..

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
There's no way anyone is buying WB Games without the IPs. Maybe they sell off WB entirely.

Batman Arkham Asylum is like, the dark souls of today's AAA games. They have so many talented devs.

I'd get them with or without any IPs in a sec but this industry cares more about silly movie IPs than talent.

My bet on Embracer or NetEase to get them even without IPs.

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
Batman Arkham Asylum is like, the dark souls of today's AAA games. They have so many talented devs.

I'd get them with or without any IPs in a sec but this industry cares more about silly movie IPs than talent.

My bet on Embracer or NetEase to get them even without IPs.
The rumored price was rumored to be ~$4B.

I think at the very least the deal needs to include exclusive rights to use WB IPs in video games in perpetuity. Although, I'm not sure how much Microsoft will like not fully owning the IPs. Might be why it fell through the first time?

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
I feel like we'd hear something, though. We'd get more PC-specific communication, maybe a roadmap, or always some juicy leaks. But it's been just about as quiet as it was when they were trying to get people to use the Windows Store.
Not necessarily. Remember how the Xbox store was refreshed in August of 2020? The earliest leaks of that happened when a codename was accidentally revealed to insiders in May or something. And then we got a few pictures in June. And it was out to people in public testing 2 months later. They had been working on it for years, by that point.

There's no reason to think we should hear anything about it until it's damn near ready to ship out. Especially if it's being led by Windows team (kinda hope it's not, though).

bb1173

May 1, 2022
With the way Zaslav is attacking the film/tv part of WB, how long till he goes after the game side? Honestly i woudlnt be surprised if he sells them off one at a time (MS get rocksteady, Sony buy Monlith etc)

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
The rumored price was rumored to be ~$4B.

I think at the very least the deal needs to include exclusive rights to use WB IPs in video games in perpetuity. Although, I'm not sure how much Microsoft will like not fully owning the IPs. Might be why it fell through the first time?
And streaming and stuff, but that's probably a huge hurdle for a company like WB that is also exploring streaming from a different angle. The overlap between games and video are blurring rapidly. How do the rights shake out that way?

Judge

Vault-Tec Seal of Approval
Oct 25, 2017

It's only been like 2 months haha stuff takes time

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
I'm hesitant on what to expect from TGS Gamepass lineups.

They should be exciting and capitalize on JP games for the Japanese market as well as worldwide but Xbox has only just recently gotten more into saving some of these announcements for that particular venue. I'm hoping there's more along the lines of last year's Scarlet Nexus and AI Somnium Files in effort and surprise.

I'd take anything at this point. Even games I already own like Tales of Arise. Anything to spice up the service, you feel?

My dream will always be all of Falcom games but that's a dream for now.

Well, there's Persona 5 which I'm super excited to experience for the first time on Xbox but that's in October.

Gotta buy Soul Hackers 2 this month because I don't see it hitting Game Pass anytime soon.

TiagoCosta

User requested ban
Banned
Aug 3, 2018

I feel for whoever takes those marketing spots at Japan, there's barely anything jp left on GP and nothing joins.. drop after drop after drop. JP guys liked GP a lot, what a waste.. nothing new tho, sad how it got to this point yet again.

Do you still remember May 2021? It was the last time they did it with jrpgs.

Meanwhile stadia and luna are rocking those falcom games, yup.. zero excuses.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
I feel for whoever takes those marketing spots at Japan, there's barely anything jp left on GP and nothing joins.. drop after drop after drop. JP guys liked GP a lot, what a waste.. nothing new tho, sad how it got to this point yet again.
I'm increasingly convinced Xbox just doesn't have what it takes to be a global brand, even with Phil. They just always fumble outside the Anglosphere.

Jan 31, 2022
Xbox not having console VR makes buying Resident Evil 4 Remake with announced PSVR2 support awkward for a multiple platform owning customer who prefers building my multiplatform library in the Xbox ecosystem like me. I'm in a privileged minority of a minority, and who knows what deals Sony may have struck for RE7, post-launch Village PSVR2 support and RE4R where those modes wouldn't exist otherwise without exclusivity (PCVR this time around?). But yeah, one of those cases where Xbox might ultimately lose some multiplatform game engagement from me, even if I still go Xbox first for my unique game-sharing reasons at launch.

Slightly bummed at the thought of Double Fine maybe not doing VR with Microsoft - feels like it's a bit of Psychonauts' DNA now after Rhombus of Ruin, and that's presumably done for now. Ninja Theory's history with VR too; not that we quite know what Project: MARA is, but what if it could have been optional-VR first person psychological horror on console Game Pass? Sheesh. I'm not a Bethesda fan, but I know they have Skyrim and DOOM VR and such too, right?

Never did get to playing the Halo VR attraction at the Halo: Outpost Discovery Philly stop I attended. The line was long and I invested my camp out time on the Covenant escape room.

Anyway, despite how similar people claim these consoles are - outside of console-exclusives - it's neat that the different platform holders really do invest in and stunt hard with unique ecosystem features (Play Anywhere while Sony offers no cross-buy/save for PC, console-VR while Xbox remains flat, native portable gaming with Nintendo).
I don't think it means that Xbox won't have their own VR console in the future I just think there isn't that high of a demand for one at the moment. There are a lot of great groundbreaking VR games such as Resident Evil and Half Life Alyx and others but even though they are great they still don't sell as much compared to the PC/Console market.

I do think that if VR continues to become more successful Xbox will eventually have their own VR console but it probably won't be until next gen. Since it would be awesome to see what Microsoft and Bethesda could do with VR games.
One of the better decisions MS made.

They need to spend this gen reestablishing 'traditional' gaming which I feel they have been doing. And that includes gaming through the cloud.

Creating a peripheral one that would have to be very expensive and supported by your studios would have been MS taking their eye off the ball. A few years in maybe they'll let us use other VR options

I suspect Sony thought MS would also do a VR option. Happy they didn't.
I agree I think right now Microsoft should focus on traditional gaming and then once they have games and they are coming out on a regular basis then I could see Microsoft look towards VR as an option for the future. Since it's hard to imagine that if the VR market keeps growing that there won't be an Xbox VR down the line.
That's the good decision in my eyes. Especially with the VR market struggling to get mainstream and people now cutting in their spendings. And it won't drain first-party resources and budgets by developping games for a (imo niche) peripheral/product.
I don't think that VR is struggling to be mainstream and that it is a niche peripheral/product but VR could definitely be much better. I think VR needs more games like Half Life: Alyx, Elite Dangerous, Resident Evil 4, and more that push the boundary of VR before it becomes more mainstream. And it will be interesting to see what happens with VR this generation since if it is successful then it is possible Microsoft could look to VR as an option for the next console generation.

TiagoCosta

User requested ban
Banned
Aug 3, 2018
I'm increasingly convinced Xbox just doesn't have what it takes to be a global brand, even with Phil. They just always fumble outside the Anglosphere.

It was way better with Peter Moore, like a billion times better. Like it was properly a great place for jp fans.

When he left.. it started the jp downhill.

Spencer hasn't proven anything in regards to jp games, a 5 minutes section at ''E3'' after years on the job, sure ain't it.

W.S.

Honest Work
Oct 28, 2017
I'd take anything at this point. Even games I already own like Tales of Arise. Anything to spice up the service, you feel?

My dream will always be all of Falcom games but that's a dream for now.

I wouldn't mind if GP gets games I own already like FUGA & Tales of Arise if it's accompanied by a few other JP games I don't have on Xbox like Disgaea games and Ys. Hell even if the GP lineup is all stuff I own at least it would make JP users excited for the service with games from local publishers/developers.

It'll be quite the uphill battle again, the consistency with JP/Asian games just isn't there at all.

GING-SAMA

Banned
Jul 10, 2019
imo MS should invest more on their iteration/support infrastructure or overall Portfolio business model rather than looking for big acquisition again.

If they do well they can drastically transform Activision portfolio, same for Blizzard, same for King same for Zenimax.

They need to have coherence & consistency in the overall portfolio, E-Rated, Teens, Mature content, Then the genres etc...

CubeApple76

Jan 20, 2021

W.S.

Honest Work
Oct 28, 2017
There's no way anyone is buying WB Games without the IPs. Maybe they sell off WB entirely.

They would be a hard sell without them but on the other hand getting more studios would greatly help Microsoft with development of dormant franchises as well as new IP.

Definitely comes in spurts. Fits and starts. Well, we'll see.

Yeah I wished they were able to fix that, it's not great for Gamepass to only offer western/indy stuff only for large amounts of time. There is Persona and Wo Long but outside of those there's not much else there for fans of Japanese/Asian games outside of what's already there. Fighters in particular are lacking in the service.

CubeApple76

Jan 20, 2021
MLB The Show, huh? That's surprising and impressive. Is it normal to see that game doing so well or is this partially attributable to Game Pass? That's kinda awesome, I always thought it would get overshadowed by other games. Good to see it's holding its own. Interestingly, the only PlayStation 1st party game on this list, meanwhile Minecraft is the only Xbox 1st party game on the list. Nintendo has 3 of its properties represented on the list.
The show was the 9th best selling game in NA last year. In 2020 it was number 18. So still really good numbers but obviously going multiplat and GP helped it climb the charts. I expect this year it'll be even bigger since it's on Switch

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
Play anywhere continues to be such an amazing feature. Every time I can hop between PC/console/cloud with one save it feels like the future.

Smart delivery, play anywhere, unlimited cloud saves etc. Just fantastic and forward thinking. OS team nailed the core things that people take for granted since day 1.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
Tbh I still think that MS should go to the various Japanese publishers and offer to partially fund remasters of their more cult classic PS1/PS2 era games, particularly JRPGs, in exchange for Game Pass launches.

Stuff like Star Ocean, Valkyrie Profile, Shadow Hearts, Xenosaga, Suikoden and more. These games presumably wouldn't be worthwhile for the publishers to remaster on their own (I remember someone involved with Xenosaga saying that Bandai said an HD remaster wouldn't be profitable) but they're quality games and would definitely be a relatively cheap way to get a great library of JRPGs on Game Pass/Xbox while building up an audience and making Xbox more of a JRPG machine

Agree, and add on to it the handful of those remasters that already exist / are announced but skipped / are skipping Xbox, Like Star Ocean: First Departure R, the Mana remakes and the upcoming port of Valkyrie Profile Lenneth.

Also I'd say equally important are the spiritual successors to those kind of classic series that some new indie studios are making like Monark and others I'm sure I'm forgetting. More JRPG comfort food, in every flavor.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
It was way better with Peter Moore, like a billion times better. Like it was properly a great place for jp fans.

When he left.. it started the jp downhill.

Spencer hasn't proven anything in regards to jp games, a 5 minutes section at ''E3'' after years on the job, sure ain't it.
I keep saying they need to copy Sony on this, or at least how they were. President in Europe and Presidents in Asia/Japan that literally focus on driving engagement in those markets while also signing Gamepass deals and funding exclusives. You can grow a service like this without appealing to every market in someway. Netflix does this. Whatever they're doing now isn't working.

W.S.

Honest Work
Oct 28, 2017
I keep saying they need to copy Sony on this, or at least how they were. President in Europe and Presidents in Asia/Japan that literally focus on driving engagement in those markets while also signing Gamepass deals and funding exclusives. You can grow a service like this without appealing to every market in someway. Netflix does this. Whatever they're doing now isn't working.

Seems like a good idea, hope all the hiring they are doing there are to address these things.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
Not necessarily. Remember how the Xbox store was refreshed in August of 2020? The earliest leaks of that happened when a codename was accidentally revealed to insiders in May or something. And then we got a few pictures in June. And it was out to people in public testing 2 months later. They had been working on it for years, by that point.

There's no reason to think we should hear anything about it until it's damn near ready to ship out. Especially if it's being led by Windows team (kinda hope it's not, though).
That raises a good question, who actually works on Windows Xbox stuff? I'd hope by now they'd have figured out that having the Windows team involved makes things worse. That does seem to be a consistent thing, with whatever fresh hell Windows is trying to push not being made for gaming.

Frieza

Oct 25, 2017
I tend to agree. What makes it funny is they are supposedly trying to reach billions of people yet can't even support traditional gaming markets.

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
Think it's most notable in their translations. Jez Corden brings it up but even from what I've read I've seen that they don't really try and mostly use machine based translation. A funny example I can think of is Halo Infinite in Spanish would say "User left the fireteam" but the left was the direction left, not the action to leave. 😂

And that's Spanish…. I cannot imagine other languages and their over-reliance on machine based translations.

EDIT:

kwhezxpi5ke81.png

Last edited:

Leonberger

May 3, 2021
Canada
You're contradicting yourself, people play third party games and nobody is releasing 1st party every month.

Sorry if I wasn't clear the first time. I know 1st party doesn't release every month but people won't keep/be interested in a subscription if there isn't big 1st party releases in addition to
You're contradicting yourself, people play third party games and nobody is releasing 1st party every month.

The most buzz for Game Pass games always seems to be when first party releases. It's also when we all get interested in how many subs there are to the service. The same thing doesn't happen when Far Cry gets put on it. Sorry if I wasn't clear before I was just simply trying to say that first party is the wow factor for Game Pass and it's what drives subs more so than third party.

Last edited:

Vico

Jan 3, 2018
I feel like bad translations are part of the fun.

In Halo 4 the lightrifle, a weapon that shoots energy beams, so... hard light, is actually called "fusil léger" in french, which would mean "lightweight rifle".

It never stops making me laugh.

Judge

Vault-Tec Seal of Approval
Oct 25, 2017

Do you still remember May 2021? It was the last time they did it with jrpgs.

Meanwhile stadia and luna are rocking those falcom games, yup.. zero excuses.
The post I quoted is saying they "stopped" after Danganronpa 2. That was only two months ago. Idk what else you are talking about but that's all I'm responding to

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
I wonder if when Microsoft absorbs ABK they'll still report MAUs of the various branches lol.

00Quan[T]

Banned
May 12, 2022
imo MS should invest more on their iteration/support infrastructure or overall Portfolio business model rather than looking for big acquisition again.

If they do well they can drastically transform Activision portfolio, same for Blizzard, same for King same for Zenimax.

They need to have coherence & consistency in the overall portfolio, E-Rated, Teens, Mature content, Then the genres etc...

I believe so as well, achieving consistency and good quality/healthy studios should be a priority.
Xbox is growing rapidly and they need do a QoL upgrade in suport for the studios, leadership and marketing.

GlobeGamer

Aug 26, 2021
New Perfect Dark Job listing :Systems Designer, Enemies

Promote collaboration amongst designers and directors, objectively breakdown AI design principles and provide feedback when appropriate

Work closely with AI Engineers to produce clear, concise and fun enemy behaviors and rules that support the combat systems that a wide variety of players can relate to

Coordinate closely with AI programmers and Combat Level Designers to communicate the goals and specific needs of AI and combat design and provide regular updates to all related gameplay systems

Design, adapt and scope features to the needs of production, the technical constraints of the project and the overall gameplay goals

Status
Not open for further replies.