• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Where Does Your Loyalty Lie?

• Kyrian

Votes: 143 20.2%
  • Necrolords

Votes: 127 17.9%
  • Night Fae

Votes: 247 34.9%
  • Venthyr

Votes: 191 27.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bregor

Oct 27, 2017
again, you're conflating justice with vengeance, they are not the same thing. I haven't seen any messaging with the quests that justice is wrong, the messaging is more in the lines of "vengeance is wrong/dangerous, and will consume you" which tbh is a pretty common trope in story telling so not really surprising it's used here as well.

I'll ask again, what would you consider justice.

Paganmoon

Oct 26, 2017
I'll ask again, what would you consider justice.
I don't see how that's in any way relevant, or what sort of reply you'd want?

The choice presented was "vengeance or renewal", justice is still to come from that wording, and if it's biblical justice you're looking for with eye for an eye, and Syvlanas demise that's also a way of doing but nothing I expect will happen.

But again, the the choice was never between renewal and -justice- for Tyrande.

Bregor

Oct 27, 2017
I don't see how that's in any way relevant, or what sort of reply you'd want?

The choice presented was "vengeance or renewal", justice is still to come from that wording, and if it's biblical justice you're looking for with eye for an eye, and Syvlanas demise that's also a way of doing but nothing I expect will happen.

But again, the the choice was never between renewal and -justice- for Tyrande.

I'd like a reply to that shows what you would consider a Just fate for Sylvanas.

Because there will be no Justice. Any sort of punishment will be labeled as "vengeance" by Blizzard in an effort to villainize the victims. Blizzard is working as hard as they can to establish a scenario where Sylvanas suffers no consequences at all for her actions.

I maintain that her victims have a right to pursue punishment of Sylvanas. Her crimes are irredeemable. Even if she were to now save the universe by herself, that would not change the fact that she caused the death and suffering of an incalculable number of innocents. That suffering cannot be erased. And Sylvanas should not be allowed to escape punishment for it.

Of course, Blizzard will probably have even her victims cheering for her at the end.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Sylvanas arc is literally just Angel / Angelus from Buffy. He too did unspeakable acts when he had no soul (as Angelus when he was "evil"), and his "punishment" as Angel (aka when he had a soul and was "good") was having to live with the guilt.

Sylvanas will most likely be the same shit. It's wholefully unoriginal but there's no conspiracy here as you are trying to paint (wtf is this "blizzard wants the victims to be the villains" shit?)

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
Strongly considering a resub. I played about a month-ish after this expansion launched and then got heavily involved in other hobbies.

Does anyone have a decent Youtube video that can catch me up to to where things are gameplay wise? The signal to noise ratio out there is insane. I don't give a shit about the story, I just want to know a nice current gear path for my balance druid. Looks like I was ilvl 159?

Thanks for any help steering me in the right direction!

Sabin

Oct 25, 2017

And here it is.

Can't agree more with preach what he is saying. BFA and Shadowlands both ended up being awful and also ultimately made me quit the game and that after i loved Legion to Death.

FF14 is great tho and the Devs actualy care about player feedback.

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017

And here it is.

Can't agree more with preach what he is saying. BFA and Shadowlands both ended up being awful and also ultimately made me quit the game and that after i loved Legion to Death.

FF14 is great tho and the Devs actualy care about player feedback.

But that's the thing, on some level, the WoW devs -do- care about feedback. Shadowlands wouldn't have so many catch-up mechanics and quality of life features for alts if people didn't complain about it during BfA. The devs just don't address everything because they have particular disagreements with a lot of the playerbase regarding design philosophy.

And I would play FF14, but I really dislike the aesthetic and the first 30 to 50 levels are... not good (IMO).

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure if Blizzard really grasps how shit BFA was and how long lasting that damage is going to be if they keep with their obsession of systems for the sake of systems. Really hoping whatever they have cooked up for the next expansion they really take their time with it and save a bunch of time and effort in player systems no one likes.

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
But that's the thing, on some level, the WoW devs -do- care about feedback. Shadowlands wouldn't have so many catch-up mechanics and quality of life features for alts if people didn't complain about it during BfA. The devs just don't address everything because they have particular disagreements with a lot of the playerbase regarding design philosophy.

And I would play FF14, but I really dislike the aesthetic and the first 30 to 50 levels are... not good (IMO).
I design software and at some point as a software developer you have to swallow the idea that something you came up with isn't good. Modern blizzard doesn't seem capable of that and we see that with BFA and SL as the issues have compounded. Blizzard has consistently and constantly under or overcorrected even when given feedback that said "this isn't working".

There are only two reasons this could be happening that I can think of.

1-Blizzard thinks what they've designed is better than the feedback they've received and what they designed will just "work" even if it demonstrably does not.

2- They are designing things specifically to a metric we don't have access to and that metric is guiding their design philosophy entirely.

Bonus! 3- The systems wow uses, their components and their architecture could be brittle meaning they are difficult to update/ change. So once Blizzard lays down a foundation for the expansion, making changes to those systems is really fucking difficult. Ripping them out is even harder because any of those changed causes other things to collapse or become non functional.

It could be a combination of these 3 factors. It does seem like blizzard's design philosophy has moved towards keeping you logged in longer by focusing more on time gating and system upon system upon system, multiple currencies, etc.

On an individual level, blizzard can get all this feedback and if their PMs, leads, and directors aren't getting that feedback or are disregarding it then you get what you get.

Last edited:

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not sure if Blizzard really grasps how shit BFA was and how long lasting that damage is going to be if they keep with their obsession of systems for the sake of systems. Really hoping whatever they have cooked up for the next expansion they really take their time with it and save a bunch of time and effort in player systems no one likes.

I wonder how much of this system bloat is Ion and his team. He become game director in 2016. I know there are lots of working pieces to bring an expansion together, but he had the helm for everything after Legion.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how much of this system bloat is Ion and his team. He become game director in 2016. I know there are lots of working pieces to bring an expansion together, but he had the helm for everything after Legion.

I mean it's impossible his influence doesn't play a major part. Interviews with him this past year highlights what he thinks of the systems players don't like. They learned the wrong lessons from Legion and keep running with it. I think they genuinely need a change in design philosophy. Scrap extra systems, make players feel good/powerful as their class and just make content. While I like the Zones in shadowlands, it does hurt that they are so isolated from one another on top of how isolating the Covenant system can be.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
Sometimes I feel like I'm the only person out there absolutely loving Shadowlands. 9.1 has had me fairly hooked for weeks. It's fairly easy for me to see past the shitty core story and still love the rest of the game. I've never had that much of an issue with the covenants, not compared to the frothing mobs who seem to loathe this kind of system. I actually kind of like the flavor and choice it forces on you. And otherwise, Torghast, legendaries, fun raid encounters, a really great world-building from 50-60 with maybe my favourite leveling experience ever, the other overhauls to the main game with 9.0...its like, some of the most I've ever enjoyed this game. Lol. Oh well. Everyone hates it.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Sometimes I feel like I'm the only person out there absolutely loving Shadowlands. 9.1 has had me fairly hooked for weeks. It's fairly easy for me to see past the shitty core story and still love the rest of the game. I've never had that much of an issue with the covenants, not compared to the frothing mobs who seem to loathe this kind of system. I actually kind of like the flavor and choice it forces on you. And otherwise, Torghast, legendaries, fun raid encounters, a really great world-building from 50-60 with maybe my favourite leveling experience ever, the other overhauls to the main game with 9.0...its like, some of the most I've ever enjoyed this game. Lol. Oh well. Everyone hates it.

I love it too but I have a core mythic plus group which is my favorite content in the game. If I didn't, I'm not sure how I would feel.

Cort

Nov 4, 2017

Replace Torghast with literally anything else and it would be an A tier expansion for me.

I hate Torghast. I hate that they added a ranking system to Torghast. I hate that you can beat the par time, have a 95% completion, and get 0 deaths, and still only 3 star because the ranking system says I need to use my extra action button ability.

I hate Torghast.

Rokal

Oct 25, 2017

Not to be rude, but I remember seeing similar posts from you during BFA. I think you might just be an uncommonly positive person and may be more willing to see past the many problems in the game than others.

I have way less issues with SL than most, I think. I liked Covenants and I liked that it felt like a hard choice to make for every one of my characters. I haven't felt like I needed to make a "specialization choice" in WoW since they moved away from the old talent trees. I thought the SL zones were really inspired and I liked Castle Nathria and the dungeons (not an M+ person though).

I find it very hard to overlook the atrocious story and am more than done with the Maw/Jailer aesthetic which is 90% of the game in 9.1. The quality of Korthia and the 9.1 story drip feed is also very difficult to look past. It really feels like they expect us to just repeat the exact same weekly "obligation" content in 9.1 that we did for 7 months in 9.0 and that's not going to fly with most of the community.

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
My Legendary is still 210 because the thought of entering Torghast, even with the 9.1 changes, just makes me look at all the other games I have to play which are actually fun.

Intraxidance

Oct 25, 2017
My Legendary is still 210 because the thought of entering Torghast, even with the 9.1 changes, just makes me look at all the other games I have to play which are actually fun.

Have you considered running with a group? It's stupid easy, and you get full cinders regardless of score. You could also just plow through a Level 9/10 solo real quick.

Mine is still at 235 because I don't feel like spending 180k gold on a minor damage increase, since the powers don't scale up with item level.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
Replace Torghast with literally anything else and it would be an A tier expansion for me.

I hate Torghast. I hate that they added a ranking system to Torghast. I hate that you can beat the par time, have a 95% completion, and get 0 deaths, and still only 3 star because the ranking system says I need to use my extra action button ability.

I hate Torghast.
I don't fully jive with how the rating system works, either. I imagine there'll be tweaks. I can have what I feel is a great fucking run, nearly flawless, and still get 4-stars sometimes. Eh. Small gripe.

Torghast in general didn't feel like it reached its potential in 9.0. The novelty wore off quickly for me. But all the changes in 9.1 pretty much made it A-tier stuff for me. Eliminating a floor, spicing up the powers, Box of Many Things (esp. Auto-loot of phantasma, so good), dramatically increasing the Soul Ash rewards, making it repeatable, adding cosmetics, it's so fun to me. lol. I just started trying it out with my alts and I find it super fun. Every time we've gone in there as a group, the fun has been plussed due to the chaos of our various combined anima powers. I kind of hope it's always part of the game somehow, or that each expansion has its own roguelike dungeon system like this that's endlessly repeatable. Great content as far as I'm concerned.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
Not to be rude, but I remember seeing similar posts from you during BFA. I think you might just be an uncommonly positive person and may be more willing to see past the many problems in the game than others.

I have way less issues with SL than most, I think. I liked Covenants and I liked that it felt like a hard choice to make for every one of my characters. I haven't felt like I needed to make a "specialization choice" in WoW since they moved away from the old talent trees. I thought the SL zones were really inspired and I liked Castle Nathria and the dungeons (not an M+ person though).

I find it very hard to overlook the atrocious story and am more than done with the Maw/Jailer aesthetic which is 90% of the game in 9.1. The quality of Korthia and the 9.1 story drip feed is also very difficult to look past. It really feels like they expect us to just repeat the exact same weekly "obligation" content in 9.1 that we did for 7 months in 9.0 and that's not going to fly with most of the community.

You're not rude, don't worry, haha. Yeah, I definitely am someone who sees past faults more. I acknowledge my bias. This is and probably always will be my favourite GOAT. That said, it feels like the core story that so many are furious with (and that I'm very disappointed with, too) is such a small part of the overall game and experience. It's a couple of scenes in a campaign quest each week. It's quite secondary to my overall experience with the game, and yet, seems so primary to others. I can't fault anyone. Everyone's experience is different. The story could be even worse and I don't think it'd be impacting how much I enjoy M+, raiding, world pvp, leveling, Torghast, etc, which are 90% of my experience with the game. And then, the 9.0 stories in the Shadowlands, the world-building, the Cov campaigns, all of that I thought was actually excellent. All of the stuff independent of the core Sylvanas storyline. It was the most thrilled I've been during 50-60 leveling in a long time, perhaps even more than my previous GOAT leveling experiences, Mists and Draenor.

And yeah, I had a fun time with BFA despite the story blowing there, too. I enjoyed the world, zones, vignette stories, allied races, music, M+, etc. Had a good time. I never felt the pain of the Azerite Power grind like others b/c I just didn't pursue it. Was still viable and able to complete most content just fine. I think a lot of players KILL themselves grinding to inhuman levels feeling like they're absolutely obligated to to be viable, and you just don't have to do that. I'm able to contribute very well to my guidl/runs right now despite not being tier 6 in Korthia yet, and I could probably never get to tier 6 and be fine, too. I never got Ve'nari to Exalted in 9.0, so I never had sockets there, and we were fine.

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Have you considered running with a group? It's stupid easy, and you get full cinders regardless of score. You could also just plow through a Level 9/10 solo real quick.

Mine is still at 235 because I don't feel like spending 180k gold on a minor damage increase, since the powers don't scale up with item level.

I hadn't, in fact I forgot it was groupable. I'll check that out!

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
While a lot of people aren't playing WoW right now (myself included), I do want to at least use this thread for news updates.

Jeremy Gaffney, who is the former President of Carbine (WildStar) and one of the creators of Asheron's Call, has joined the WoW team.

Wubby

Oct 27, 2017
Japan!
Man what happened with Veiled Augment Rune prices. I get them off the mission table missions then sell them on the AH. Was able to sell them for 300-400 gold each before 9.1 but lately they are down to 50-100gold max.

daedalius

Oct 27, 2017
While a lot of people aren't playing WoW right now (myself included), I do want to at least use this thread for news updates.

Jeremy Gaffney, who is the former President of Carbine (WildStar) and one of the creators of Asheron's Call, has joined the WoW team.

oh man I played so much AC back in the day, Darktide represent

Wild star seemed pretty neat while it lasted too

Fireatwill

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I was waiting for 9.1 and flying to work on my 4th alt so I could have 1 of each covenant. The renown catchup is no joke. I went from ding, fresh 60 to 30 renown in 5 hours. Finishing the campaign quests, and some dungeons and I'm already 50 renown.

Venthyr zone and story line is still my favorite of the 4.

From a casual standpoint, i still hate the amount of grinds and time gating Shadowlands has. I'm sure Legion and BfA also had them. However, I started BfA so far into the expansion that I never noticed any time gating stuff.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
even tho it doesn't affect me this time, reminder that I think this system where different soulsbinds access upgrades at different renowns (thus in different RESETS) is absolutely ridiculous

Renown 61: 1st Row of Conduits Enhanced for Kleia, Emeni, Dreamweaver, and Theotar
Renown 62: 1st Row of Conduits Enhanced for Mikanikos, Bonesmith Heirmir, Koryan, and Draven

Unfortunately for Pelagos, Marileth, Niya, and Nadjia, you'll have to wait until next week to get your first Empowered Conduit.

Cort

Nov 4, 2017
even tho it doesn't affect me this time, reminder that I think this system where different soulsbinds access upgrades at different renowns (thus in different RESETS) is absolutely ridiculous

Renown 61: 1st Row of Conduits Enhanced for Kleia, Emeni, Dreamweaver, and Theotar
Renown 62: 1st Row of Conduits Enhanced for Mikanikos, Bonesmith Heirmir, Koryan, and Draven

Unfortunately for Pelagos, Marileth, Niya, and Nadjia, you'll have to wait until next week to get your first Empowered Conduit.

This whole system is a half baked mess. Battle pass systems is supposed to reward players, not have more chores for them to do. No one wants an unlock in their battle pass to be just doing more of the really terrible story.

FloBoJo

Nov 5, 2017
I guess a minor thing but it makes a conduit like +2% in most cases. Not exactly make or break, if you're that cutting edge I'd think you would be done content now.

Anyone else now having the problem of a glut of anima? I've been spending a lot just to not cap and now the only things left seem to also be hidden behind achievements or that additional WQ currency (Grateful Offering?).

Beardlini

Oct 28, 2017
It's not about cutting edge players, its for people doign prog, which is why its so timegated (besides revenue reasons) to give prog players a boost over time. V lame lol

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
According to Towelliee, Patch 9.1.5 will have "changes the community has been asking for for years," but what they are is a mystery.

Sain

Nov 13, 2017
Most impactful thing for me is if they could finally relent on cross-faction guilds/raiding. It is dire Alliance side right now finding a legitimate Mythic raiding guild.

Paganmoon

Oct 26, 2017
I mean, we already know it'll have more Nightborne/Lightforged customization and solo Expeditions, which are things the community has been asking for, for years.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Most impactful thing for me is if they could finally relent on cross-faction guilds/raiding. It is dire Alliance side right now finding a legitimate Mythic raiding guild.

this please. If only for lore / nerd reasons, for years now the split makes zero sense and I would love to:

A) see horde chars in like random dungeons while lvling

but more importantly

B) I could faction change and still play with my posse, I want to play horde bad for years now but my posse is alliance and I dont want tolive the pug life.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
E90GFVRUcAccHW_

no cross faction but timewalking mythic+

Hixx

Oct 25, 2017
timewalking m+ is incredible

im sure it'll be a shitshow for a while but its such a great addition in the long-term imo

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
Here you go High-Elf fan club. You win.

DHD325TG7H0F1630028044715.jpg

There's a lot of stuff in here.

https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-gb/news/23716422/915-content-update-preview

"Introducing Legion Timewalking

Delve back into Legion Dungeons with Legion Timewalking and take on the challenges within, including access to Legion Mythic+ dungeons. This event will run for two weeks the first time it runs within the game and then will resume a regular one-week schedule for subsequent bonus events.

Maw Introduction Skippable

Players who have completed the introduction in the Maw on one character will be able to speak to Highlord Darion Mograine in the capital cities to skip it on their alternative characters on their account.
Island Expeditions: Queue Solo or with a Party

Players who want to take on Island Expeditions are now able to queue for them solo or with a party to enter Normal, Heroic, or Mythic difficulties. There are a bounty of awards just waiting to be plundered.

Talent and Ability Improvements

In 9.1.5 we are working on additional updates to a variety of class talents and class abilities including Conduits, Runecarving, and Covenant class ability tuning.

Allied Race Unlocks

Allied races such as the Kul'Tiran humans, Mechagnomes, and Dark Iron Dwarves, which had a dungeon requirement to unlock them, will no longer need to complete the associated quest to gain access to these races. Players will be able to skip it instead.

Additional Travel Points in The Maw

Players will be able to take advantage of additional fast travel options from Ve'nari's Refuge to Perdition Hold and Desmotaeron within the Maw by unlocking access to them.

Remote Anima Turn-Ins

Completing quests from Archivist Roh-Suir will provide access to an Anima Diverter within Korthia where Anima can be directly deposited.

Transmogrification Linking

Show off your complete transmog outfit to chat or online by easily sharing a link to it from the Dressing Room. Players will be able to mouse over these items to see how they can be collected, if they've already collected the appearance, or if it's an appearance that is accessible to the character viewing it.

Alt Leveling Improvements

A variety of improvements will be introduced in support of a smoother experience leveling alternate characters through Shadowlands, such as an additional rank of Heirloom upgrades, and improvements to Threads of Fate such as the addition of Torghast as an option and Renown gains for completing bonus objectives.

PvP Gear Power Adjustments

Lower item-level PvP gear will now scale to a higher item-level in PvP situations than before. This should reduce the power level gap so that new characters can feel that they're able to compete in Battlegrounds and Arenas more readily. This change will not affect high item-level PvP gear.

Runecarving Recipes

Drop rates for Runecarving recipes will be increased to 100% drop rate in any dungeon difficulty.

Battle for Azeroth Legacy Loot Rules

Legacy loot rules will be enabled for players at level 60 in all Battle for Azeroth raids and dungeons, causing encounters to drop the number of items as they would randomly drop for a 5-player dungeon party or a 20-player raid."

Status
Not open for further replies.