• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 46493

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Most women would find it weird/creepy because if you're really interested in a random strange woman walking around then you're only interested in her for looks first and foremost. This is why it's off putting to immediately be asked out based on just how we look. Beginning with a series of small talk, networking, going through acquaintances, etc, are all much more natural.

Then why are so many people okay with it in a club or a bar? Neither gender approaches the other for anything other than physical attraction. It's more like, some people don't want to be approached outside of social settings.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
What's the consensus on sliding into DMs?

If you mean you see their insta on a dating app and decide to say hey, there is nothing wrong with that. If you don't get a reply then obviously there is nothing there for you.

But I'm not sure what a woman's goals are when they do that, if that is something they are expecting?

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
- Thread created to ask Era women how they feel about being cold approached.

- Drexion enters thread and makes post about how these discussions are responsible for Incel communities growing.

- Gets mad for people being upset with him and storms out of thread.

Ok.

Waddle Dee

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
California
Did I say that? I said in a normal society occasionally a man or woman will approach another person for the purpose of gauging romantic interest. That doesn't make them terrible people.

Have some tact if you're going to do that, and quite frankly most men do not cold approach. It's not some simply thing, for most men it's quite frankly terrifying to try and approach a woman out of the blue that they're attracted to especially outside of a bar/nightclub and even in a bar/nightclub.

You don't have to be a woman in order to see that it's clearly more terrifying for them then it is for a man. What do you fear? Rejection? A lot of woman fear much worse than that when being randomly approached by someone that is clearly hitting on them.

It's also clear that far more men cold approach woman than vice versa.

sabrina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
newport beach, CA
Then why are so many people okay with it in a club or a bar? Neither gender approaches the other for anything other than physical attraction. It's more like, some people don't want to be approached outside of social settings.
In a club or bar you have time to get a sense of someone before approaching them. Also, you have time to get to know one each other.

The guy who hit on me in the grocery store? He knows I'm not sticking around longer than I half to. He chose to be an asshole anyway.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Actually thinking on it more I should probably note that my first instinct on getting cold-approached as a guy is "oh great, here comes someone who's just after my 12 16 digits"

EDIT: 16. There are 16 digits in a credit card number.

Deleted member 23381

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Depending on the circumstances and as long as you're receptive to them wanting to be left alone. It's not a simple blanket yes or no thing, people acting like it is makes me wonder if they've ever stepped outside of their house.

Kisaya

Oct 25, 2017
I don't like being approached, but I'll deal with chatting with a random just because I'm a pretty passive person. It shouldn't be expected that I give my phone number though.

sabrina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
newport beach, CA
Depending on the circumstances and as long as you're receptive to them wanting to be left alone. It's not a simple blanket yes or no thing, people acting like it is makes me wonder if they've ever stepped outside of their house.
People acting like there's significant wiggle room make me wonder if they've ever tried to empathize with women for more than three seconds.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You don't have to be a woman in order to see that it's clearly more terrifying for them then it is for a man. What do you fear? Rejection? A lot of woman fear much worse than that when being randomly approached by someone that is clearly hitting on them.

It's also clear that far more men cold approach woman than vice versa.

That's also a social construct, men are expected to take the lead in initiating interest. There's lots of women that complain about not getting approached and bemoan men for being so passive and reserved.

I have sympathy for both sides to some degree, I have a fiance who attracts a lot of attention and I understand sometimes there are uncomfortable interactions with men.

I also know for a fact there are a lot of guys, probably a large majority at that, where asking them to go cold approach an attractive woman would make them break out into a cold sweat that borders of being forced into confronting a phobia or something. And some guys will work up the courage to get past that and do it anyway, but most don't.

Aya

Lots of side discussions here, some of which I didn't get to read, some of which I strongly disagree with (such as wondering how else would one meet someone otherwise...)

To the point, NO, this is basically and usually unwanted attention. I'm speaking for myself and for probably *most* women (at least the ones I personally know) when I'm saying that I'd rather men have generally more manners and less an air of entitlement rather than accosting us on the street or in the bus when hornyness seeks a target and dictates. When a woman wants or seeks attention from someone, the man who she wants it from will know it and if that ain't the case -> there are bars, clubs, single-events, parties, friends who know friends etcetera not to mention meetup, tinder, okcupid, grindr and so on.

Deleted member 19003

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Because that's generally the expectation in clubs/bars. But a rando woman walking around in Costo just trying to do shopping? Not so much. I mean, you could try, but I don't think odds would be good. I know personally I would rather get to know a guy a little bit more before agreeing to go out on a date with them, or at least know him through other friends that can vouch.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Not a girl, but as long as your being polite and fuck off if the woman says they arent interested in conversing or being courted, i dont really think its that big a deal.

I'm a pretty insular type of guy, so while i'm not gonna try and go out of my way to talk to others, i'm not opposed to people trying to make friends with me. That kind of thing is always sort of spontaneous

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's super context dependent. It not then this basically just devolves into, don't talk to anyone in public unprompted.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I'm mostly chill with it when on public transport and surrounded by folks or working a shift at the gym when I'm not teaching Aerobics. If their approach is respectful and they strike up a decent conversation then I'll happily natter away for the duration of the trip or for a few minutes at work. Met some good friends, and had a handful of long-term relationships through dudes coming forward with cold approaches. If I'm walking to and from places though, then I just politely shut approachers down.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Because that's generally the expectation in clubs/bars. But a rando woman walking around in Costo just trying to do shopping? Not so much. I mean, you could try, but I don't think odds would be good. I know personally I would rather get to know a guy a little bit more before agreeing to go out on a date with them, or at least know him through other friends that can vouch.

The odds are low, most men know that. Your odds are maybe 5% really that that's gonna work out for you, most men are terrified of approaching in a situation like that for that reason.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
I also know for a fact there are a lot of guys, probably a large majority at that, where asking them to go cold approach an attractive woman would make them break out into a cold sweat that borders of being forced into confronting a phobia or something. And some guys will work up the courage to get past that and do it anyway, but most don't.
The odds are low, most men know that. Your odds are maybe 5% really that that's gonna work out for you, most men are terrified of approaching in a situation like that for that reason.
Why do you keep coming back to this same anecdotal point over and over again?

I've been out and about with women where there would sometimes be several unwelcome advances/catcalls in just a span of a few hours.

Waddle Dee

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
California
That's also a social construct, men are expected to take the lead in initiating interest. There's lots of women that complain about not getting approached and bemoan men for being so passive and reserved.

I have sympathy for both sides to some degree, I have a fiance who attracts a lot of attention and I understand sometimes there are uncomfortable interactions with men.

I'm lucky enough that I didn't need to try too hard to get into a relationship, so a lot of aspects of dating is lost on me but considering how much we read and hear about woman being stalked, assaulted, or worse, and often not being able to even get any justice out of it, I think woman have it far, far worse, to the point where men complaining and being afraid of rejection sounds kind of petty and weak in comparison.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why do you keep coming back to this same anecdotal point over and over again?

I've been out and about with women where there would sometimes be several unwelcome advances/catcalls in just a span of a few hours.

As have I, happens to my girlfriend, but generally it's in a nightclub or vicinity.

She has some attractive friends, same thing. That's just my experience, but with guys also, I've met maybe 1 or 2 men total in my life that would (quite frankly) the balls to go just talk to an attractive woman even in the supermarket.

There's not that many guys that can pull that off, and if they try they usually get shut down pretty damn quick if they come off poorly. Getting the old ego torn in half usually is a pretty good deterrent from it happening again.

Kapus

Oct 27, 2017
Under your bed
I'm okay with people striking up idle chatter if the context is alright (i.e. waiting for a train, waiting in line for something, etc.). I've been on both ends of it before, despite being a very introverted person. Making friends and acquaintances is fun.

If someone is just approaching to get in my pants, though, I'm not very comfortable. It's flattering, but I have been groped a few times in public places, it's scary and makes me very nervous.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Ok, this shows that you should always read the OP.

so a discussion came up in the dating thread about making "cold approaches" on women going about their day

in non-PUA terms, what this means is striking up conversations with random women you happen to see on public transport, at the shop, in the town square, in the library or whatever, with the intention of getting a date, or at least a phone number. rather than reserve this to people who have given signals they're interested, the idea is to it enough times that just by sheer numbers, eventually you'll hit up people that are interested
WTF, why isn't it possible for women to ride a bus without having a dude hit on her?

Parenegade

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Reverse it for a moment, would you want to be approached many times a day by thirsty individuals?

d189bte.gif

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm okay with people striking up idle chatter if the context is alright (i.e. waiting for a train, waiting in line for something, etc.). I've been on both ends of it before, despite being a very introverted person. Making friends and acquaintances is fun.
I mean yea... This is how you make connections and network. Obviously it has the potential for romantic relationships too. But it's always suprising the connections you can make just chatting with people generally. Obviously if they're giving off social queues as to I'm not in the mood to chat. Just stop. But it's pretty much a key component to being successful.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure lots of straight dude would love to get unwanted advances from thirsty gay dudes.
Ego boost and flattering. If they were agressive hell no.

I.E I'm sure people here feel about this quite differently based on their disposition. Let's not put a blanket over everything. Base it on the situation. I do hate the keep trying till you make it mentality of guys hitting on girls though. That's just some low level game theory crap.

FUME5

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Everytime we have one of these threads, the vast majority of women who comment basically say they'd rather not have random dudes coming up to them on the street trying to get their digits, which sets off a shitload of dudes responding with 'what if...' scenarios and "but my fiend..." anecdotes.

Given how many pages this thread is I'll assume the same thing has happened here.

Llyrwenne

Hopes and Dreams SAVE the World
Oct 26, 2017
People are saying "never approach in any situation outside of a bar or unless you're 100% sure said person will like you". Is that really practical or realistic? I don't think so, but if you do, great. It's not something I would do, but I understand why it happens.
Nobody in this thread is arguing that all or nearly all social interactions between men and women should be banned, dude. People are arguing that you should not make a habit out of approaching women who are minding their own business, who are complete and total strangers to you, and who have given you no signal at all that they would want to interact with you in any way, with the intent of getting them to start a romantic or sexual relationship with you. That you see no difference between that and 'an effective ban on all social interaction between men and women' is absurd. Your Taliban quip was entirely out of line.

Kapus

Oct 27, 2017
Under your bed
I mean yea... This is how you make connections and network. Obviously it has the potential for romantic relationships too. But it's always suprising the connections you can make just chatting with people generally. Obviously if they're giving off social queues as to I'm not in the mood to chat. Just stop. But it's pretty much a key component to being successful.
Completely agree.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think a lot of dudes need to empathize more and realize that your privilege to not get mugged, attacked, or raped by women blinds them from seeing a real issue many women face daily. Like, imagine you are in a hurry to meet some friends and you just wanted to get some beer before meeting up and some dude tries to make "small talk" with you. You'd be put off too.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Everytime we have one of these threads, the vast majority of women who comment basically say they'd rather not have random dudes coming up to them on the street trying to get their digits, which sets off a shitload of dudes responding with 'what if...' scenarios and "but my fiend..." anecdotes.

Given how many pages this thread is I'll assume the same thing has happened here.

This time with Taliban references and implications of this is why white men get recruited by incels and fascists.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania

Your guess couldn't possibly be more accurate. Lol. That is exactly how this unfolded.
This time with Taliban references and implications of this is why white men get recruited by incels and fascists.
Except worse for the reasons stated above.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017

Yes. It has turned into "well I guess we'll all just live alone because no one is comfortable with communication", which is a gross exaggeration of the OP.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User banned (1 month): Using the "both sides" rhetoric to rationalize sexual harassment and assault. Ban extended upon review.
And I'll be honest, it's a bit nerve wracking for us as well. We don't know you, we don't know your intentions, good or bad.

Exactly I can see both POVs. The funny irony is the guy usually is the one who is more terrified than the other way around.

The "dick who just goes around cold approaching everyone and keeps doing it even though he gets rejected all the time" is kind of a very, very rare breed.

I had one friend who was a "bar star" who was pretty good at starting up conversations in that context, but really only in a bar. And even then he was terrified of ever approaching a woman who was even an inch taller than him. Couldn't do it, would go totally silent, just completely intimidated, which to me was always kind of funny.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
I'm sympathetic to both parties. Women have to deal with men constantly hitting on them, and as men, we kind of have to get out there (either in person or online) and fight to find a partner (not saying women don't also have to do this) and get use to constant rejection. Both things, the creepy approaching and rejections can get to you eventually.

Still, guys should around the "shit on the wall" approach. Use apps, or only try to make a move after building up a rapport, etc.

I might be lucky, but often times, the women I have dated in my life make the first move.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Ego boost and flattering. If they were agressive hell no.

I.E I'm sure people here feel about this quite differently based on their disposition. Let's not put a blanket over everything. Base it on the situation. I do hate the keep trying till you make it mentality of guys hitting on girls though. That's just some low level game theory crap.
If we're going to get the parallel with the way things happen for women, you know it's gonna be mildly agressive most of the time
because-of-the-implication_o_150451.jpg

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'll offer my services:

Anyone who is thirsty and feels like striking up some small talk with a stranger, hit me up. This way you get someone to chat with (who agrees to) and someone else goes about their day unbothered.

Free service. Open 24/7. No anime conversations.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Women of Era, how about on election day?

Let's say I'm in line waiting to vote and you're a few people ahead of me... if I walk up to you while you're filling out your ballot (nice hand writing btw I always struggle to fill in my circles completely!!! isn't that so funny), casually brush up against your leg in your polling booth, how do you think that'd go? I'm assuming because we both love democracy (trust me I love all of the issues, I'm very passionate, why else would I be voting) that you'd see that we're fellow travelers on this same cosmic journey and maybe we could get a drink. Plus, I overheard you mention where you live to the poll worker. I seriously live only a couple blocks from you, what are the odds that two lost connections end up at the same random spot on a Tuesday in November and just happen to live mere blocks from one another? I'm walking your way anyway, let's walk together.

What do you mean you're not interested?

Well what the fuck you just told your name to that old crusty fuck sitting at that table and you're not going to tell me your name? What's better about her than me? Why'd you tell her you were independent then? Don't you realize that when you tell A STRANGER that you're independent that most GOOD GUYS LIKE ME take that as a signal that as you're not currently seeing anyone and interested in meeting new people?
Lol, this is good.

Deleted member 19003

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think a lot of dudes need to empathize more and realize that your privilege to not get mugged, attacked, or raped by women blinds them from seeing a real issue many women face daily. Like, imagine you are in a hurry to meet some friends and you just wanted to get some beer before meeting up and some dude tries to make "small talk" with you. You'd be put off too.
This. A lot of people don't seem to grasp the underlying power differences between the two sexes. It creates different reactions and situations.