boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018
No family has money to take all their kids to the theater anymore. Disney+ subscription is all they need

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
I do think it's being proven 100% true Black Adam would have done probably significantly worse without The Rock (but he's also the only reason a Black Adam movie was made with such a ridiculous budget)

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, they did have that 2.3 billion dollar movie. And they've made a lot of money off No Way Home. Sure Sony has made a lot more, but Disney ate well off that one too (They did cofinance that movie unlike the other Spidey films).

*Looks at Avatar: The Way of Water* *looks back at you puzzled*
That's why I said outside of Marvel (and, well Avatar too I guess). Their animated studios (WDAS, Pixar) used to be consistent big releases but they haven't in three years. Yes there was the pandemic, but they still haven't recovered unlike many studios have.

And the looks of Haunted Mansion, I don't except much from their in house live action either. Right now it's just the IP they purchased that are doing any numbers.

HMS_Pinafore

Oct 25, 2017
Straya M8
This has been a really brutal year at the Box Office. At this point I'm wondering if anything can overtake Guardians of the Galaxy for the 2nd biggest movie of the year.

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
Longer the summer goes on the more impressive Vol. 3 and Spider-Verse look. Are those the only films to open over 100M$ domestic since May?

Think TLM got over 100M$ too

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Longer the summer goes on the more impressive Vol. 3 and Spider-Verse look. Are those the only films to open over 100M$ domestic since May?

Think TLM got over 100M$ too

Are those also the three most well regarded big summer movies so far?

I'm sure I saw someone else saying it, but people are happy to go see movies that are supposed to be good, but aren't bothering with anything else (especially since it's much easier to catch it on streaming/digital rental versus buying it on disc or waiting for it on tv).

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
Are those also the three most well regarded big summer movies so far?

I'm sure I saw someone else saying it, but people are happy to go see movies that are supposed to be good, but aren't bothering with anything else (especially since it's much easier to catch it on streaming/digital rental versus buying it on disc or waiting for it on tv).
Yep, it seems like for whatever reason audiences have become more discerning about what they go see. Which is good for everybody because now Hollywood will have to rely on just more than CGI and IPs

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
Yep, it seems like for whatever reason audiences have become more discerning about what they go see. Which is good for everybody because now Hollywood will have to rely on just more than CGI and IPs

The most successful films have still been CGI franchise films

less

Oct 25, 2017
Oof at Flash's performance. Movie looked ass in the trailers and I'm not really surprised to see audiences rejecting it though even I didn't expect this much weakness.

Witness

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I feel bad for Keaton coming back for one movie that was unceremoniously canned and then dragged by WB execs publicly, and then this one that has all the Ezra issues, delayed for years, and bombs. Dude should have held out for a true Batman multiverse movie with Bale, and if that couldn't happen then doesn't do it.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
The Flash under performing does give me hope that maybe the bloom is off the rose a bit on stunt casting. I've more than had my fill of "Hey it's _____! Deep cut!" That well is thoroughly dry now.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Oh. This is about to be really funny.

FyzCuEvakAAoKS_

Yep, audiences have finally developed a visual effect standard

Rvaan

Oct 25, 2017
Stunt casting is fine. I love a good stunt casting. Hinging your whole movie around it is a questionable call because if people aren't in on the joke you are F.U.C.K.E.D.

Rvaan

Oct 25, 2017
deadline.com

‘The Flash’ Falls Down With $55M 3-Day Opening: Here’s Why

'The Flash', in the wake of its star Ezra Miller's tabloid problems and lack of press, opened to a dismal $55M
WBD lost Anthony from Deadline and I mean lost him.
The studio is still expecting the Juneteenth holiday to deliver and get the film to $70M over 4-days (if that's the case, that's the first time the Federal holiday, which has not proven itself to be a big moviegoing day yet, has yielded a daily gross for a movie north of $10M; last year Universal's Jurassic World: Dominion made only $8.6M on the Juneteenth Monday holiday). The pic did $24.5M yesterday (which includes Thursday previews). Other studios see these figures lower. Given the $9.7M previews last night, at a glance, it looked like Flash had the potential to over-deliver and beat its weekend estimates, and that's looking less likely now. Should the movie have gone straight to Warners streaming service Max? Absolutely not. They need to make as much money as they can, and that's through windows.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017

Schwowsers

Aug 29, 2018
I'm trying to give away 2 Fandango codes that expire 6/30 (7/1/2023 6:59:59 AM GMT, to be precise) for $13 off a movie from a Disney-owned studio. So that includes movies like Elemental, Little Mermaid, The Boogeyman, and Indiana Jones. If someone who will actually use them wants one or both, PM me and they're yours. I just don't want them to go to waste.

Claimed!

Last edited:

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
the legs on this are going to be super interesting to watch.

The already weak multiplier, crazy gender split, and bad CinemaScore could lead to some stunning drops.

GardenPepper

Oct 28, 2017

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Hilarious to see WB still contending with fallout from the Snyderverse after all this time. Nolan picking this guy for Man or Steel has fucked them for a decade.

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
Hilarious to see WB still contending with fallout from the Snyderverse after all this time. Nolan picking this guy for Man or Steel has fucked them for a decade.
Man of Steel is the best thing to come out of it though and did really well box office wise. Issue was WB fast tracking JL to try and compete with Avengers and the complete trash that was BvS.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
deadline.com

‘The Flash’ Falls Down With $55M 3-Day Opening: Here’s Why

'The Flash', in the wake of its star Ezra Miller's tabloid problems and lack of press, opened to a dismal $55M
WBD lost Anthony from Deadline and I mean lost him.

There's an updated PostTrak as well

But there's something else going on here with The Flash, billed by co-DC Boss James Gunn back in January as "probably one of the greatest superhero movies ever made," and that's that moviegoers disagree, giving it a B CinemaScore and 77% on Comscore/Screen Engine PostTrak exits with a 59% recommend. That buzz, coupled with the fact that The Flash is very male-heavy, and not pulling in as many women as Aquaman and Wonder Woman is slowing it down.

Down from a 60% recommend.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What puzzles me is that Flash is having a BvS-level collapse with both box office and general audience.

Yet its critic reviews are much higher than BvS. I wonder what critics saw in this to give it that bump?

I love how they're like "Well they aren't sure if this is a big money movie weekend" and then give the examples of the worst JP movie and The Flash.

I maintain that Fallen Kingdom is worse than Dominion. A LOT worse...