Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
Flash will be lucky to limp over 300m WW at this point.

It's amazing how much this is bombing.

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Impressive.

Well, at this point, this movie will come out digital in 2 weeks or so like Shazam.

I mean, great for me because I'll see it again, but that's terrible overall.

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
What puzzles me is that Flash is having a BvS-level collapse with both box office and general audience.

Yet its critic reviews are much higher than BvS. I wonder what critics saw in this to give it that bump?

For the most part, critics seem to agree that the film has some solid stretches. I'm actually not hearing much criticism when it comes to the story. It's just the presentation and overall feel is so abominable for some that it overtakes it.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
The-Flash-With-Legs-Cut-Off-in-Comic.jpg
Slayven has the better one.

When you barely make back Quantumanias OW, yeesh.

Oct 30, 2022
London
we are going to be seeing MAJOR changes to Pixar, Lucasfilm, and internal Disney in the next few months.

Disney+ has been the best / worst thing to ever happen to them.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
Sony must be laughing all the way to the bank not getting involved in its own streaming service.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
These motherflippers need to learn how to reign their budgets. All the movies doing good recently have range of $100m budget and it's a gargantuan difference in breaking even point. Barbie and Oppenheimer are going to be another test.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Haunted Mansion 2023 got a 158m budget, which is surprisingly high as well. Pandemic probably bloating it.

I know it's end of July, but I've not been hearing anyone speak about it at all. That said, could also be Disney hasn't done most of it's marketing push for it yet because they've been doing Little Mermaid, Guardians of The Galaxy Vol 3, Elemental and Indiana Jones first...

Sheesh, 5 films in 3 months, that's a lot.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
O/U: The Flash's box office vs its production budget

Over as it'd have to have some of the worst legs ever to not get there. But it doesn't seem like it'll make much over its budget.

No joke Indy Bombing spectacularly would be the one thing I can see actually firing Kathleen Kennedy

The budget is the killer there. Nearly 300m is insane for an Indy movie. It has a higher budget than any MCU movie with the exceptions of Ultron, IW and Endgame. And those are movies in a billion dollar franchise, and where they have to pay a bunch of popular actors for the roles.

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
They rushed BvS because MoS underperformed critically and financially for them.

I'm not sure what has and hasn't been said about this officially, but it made almost $700 million at the box office and for a property that has been dormant in films for almost a decade that seems pretty solid so their expectations were probably way too high. Like had the movie done better, would WB have actually slowed down and built up their stuff and not rushed into JL? Kind of find that hard to believe, honestly. I think they just wanted to skip directly to their Avengers regardless.

zaxil456

Aug 4, 2020
So many hyped up movies bombing. Flash, Indy and TLM were all seen as 1 billion+ contenders at one point. Now here we are.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I don't know if Indy bombing will force KK's leave, she's been a producer on duds before Disney, happens in the business. Star Wars is still very successful on D+ and she can claim some credit for that. Maybe I'm wrong though and Disney is getting nervous with their string of flops and streaming struggles.

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
Who would even want the job running LucasFilm (not that most people know any Disney execs besides Iger, Feige and Kennedy).

S1kkZ

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know if Indy bombing will force KK's leave, she's been a producer on duds before Disney, happens in the business. Star Wars is still very successful on D+ and she can claim some credit for that. Maybe I'm wrong though and Disney is getting nervous with their string of flops and streaming struggles.
its a bit more than indy: willow was a huge failure, andor had a mega budget but not enough views & mando season 3 underperformed. thats still not enough to get her fired but if ahsoka underperforms...well, its not getting easier for her.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think that was it or they were very wrong. MoS did $670m ww and that's great (at the time) for a reboot/first in dcu, etc.
It came after a 1 billion Dark Knight,1.1 Billion Dark Knight Rises and 1.5 billion Avengers,
The hated Spiderman movies(3, Amazing and Amazing 2) all made more money.
Iron Man 2 made that much

WB was not happy with what that for Superman.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
its a bit more than indy: willow was a huge failure, andor had a mega budget but not enough views & mando season 3 underperformed. thats still not enough to get her fired but if ahsoka underperforms...well, its not getting easier for her.
Do we know that Andor and Mando 3 underperformed?

Embiid

Banned
Feb 20, 2021
You're gonna see studios be way more selective at what tentpoles they greenlight from now on. $300 million for Indy, $200 mil for Flash, $200 mil for Elemental… all of these got the go ahead years ago and they're all spectacular bombs. 300 mil for Indy… jesus christ. Movie goers are starting to see through the shit and have become a lot more picky — studios are gonna have to follow suit.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Andor yes, people were saying Mando flopped but when the numbers came out it was doing okay.
I'm not gonna pretend to be an expert on reading the tea leaves for what companies want from streaming services, but I have a hard time believing Disney greenlit a gritty adult drama Star Wars spin-off with zero marketable characters thinking it would bring in tons of viewership comparable to their earlier shows. That's the kind of show you make to give your streaming service critical credibility and satisfy adult fans.

Rest of the article is paywalled, but while it's probably true there is some SW saturation on D+, it's still one of the biggest incentives for people to subscribe in terms of new content along with MCU shows. So I don't see this as Disney feeling Kennedy's LF days are coming to an end, but rather they probably need to rethink their whole approach to streaming.

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
It came after a 1 billion Dark Knight,1.1 Billion Dark Knight Rises and 1.5 billion Avengers,
The hated Spiderman movies(3, Amazing and Amazing 2) all made more money.
Iron Man 2 made that much

WB was not happy with what that for Superman.
I get it but they were very wrong thinking that was a bad box office #. As evident by how they fucked up with BvS and JL. At least first Wonder Woman was good.