Oct 25, 2017
Andor yes, people were saying Mando flopped but when the numbers came out it was doing okay.
Was that finalized about Andor? I remember a major streaming ratings* guy announced that it was doing badly and then after a whole news cycle about Andor underperforming he announced he'd gotten his math wrong and it was actually doing fine. That was reported on much less.

*It's not actually ratings, but trying to judge impressions in other ways from data he can access.

Oct 8, 2019
So many hyped up movies bombing. Flash, Indy and TLM were all seen as 1 billion+ contenders at one point. Now here we are.

The main problem with The Little Mermaid is that instead of audiences seeing live action remakes as this prestige film for Disney Classics. Disney has flooded the market with poorly thought out remakes like Dumbo, announcing remakes to films even Disney didnt think highly of like Robin Hood, and the Aristocats, bad sequels, and their response to Little Mermaid's slightly underperforming (despite getting better reviews than both Aladdin and Lion King) was to announce a remake of Bambi.and they are threatening to make a third Maleficent movie despite the second getting horrible reviews and not a particularly great box office.

Disney looked at the flood of Disney direct to video sequels and decided that the problem with Little Mermaid 2: Return to the sea was not the script, but simply that it should have had the budget of the original, give Ursula's Crazy Sister the full Disney magic baby.

Oct 25, 2017
Outer Heaven
Indy is going to bomb. I checked when the last Indy thread was posted and I checked again now, we have tickets to the first regular showing and we're still the only people with tickets. 4 people have tickets to the next showing and none for the final showing.

Oppenheimer on the other hand, for the IMAX showing has basically all decent seats taken throughout the initial weekend.

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
Sony actually made a good business decision

Who've thought, eh?

Yeah Sony is probably laughing all the way to the bank having sold their streaming rights to other companies instead of starting their own.

Haunted Mansion 2023 got a 158m budget, which is surprisingly high as well. Pandemic probably bloating it.

I know it's end of July, but I've not been hearing anyone speak about it at all. That said, could also be Disney hasn't done most of it's marketing push for it yet because they've been doing Little Mermaid, Guardians of The Galaxy Vol 3, Elemental and Indiana Jones first...

Sheesh, 5 films in 3 months, that's a lot.

I love the Haunted Mansion ride so much and I'm really hoping this movie is good and doesn't bomb but I'm probably going to be disappointed.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Also important to note that Man Of Steel dropped hard after its opening, it opened to 128m but couldn't even reach 300m domestic. A new movie series shouldn't open to legs like that, WB likely recognized that so they attempted to "fix" it by bringing in Batman… only for that movie to have even worse legs and well, here we are.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Also important to note that Man Of Steel dropped hard after its opening, it opened to 128m but couldn't even reach 300m domestic. A new movie series shouldn't open to legs like that, WB likely recognized that so they attempted to "fix" it by bringing in Batman… only for that movie to have even worse legs and well, here we are.

The DCEU is a prime example of this mentality:

FBXD1B-WQA4Wfvb.jpg

Whether we like to admit it or not, Marvel managed to build a strong brand that's able to take hits.

DC has done nothing but take hits sine MoS

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
You could argue it's starting to happen to Marvel. (Besides Guardians)

Not at all. You can't argue anything after 1 certified flop out of 30+ movies.

Being able to "take hits" means being able to walk from flops, not that flops won't ever happen.

Star Wars is strong enough that it somehow manages to walk after every single new entry since 1999 is the worst thing ever created (and has tanked underperformances like Solo or the baffling theatrical release of TCW)

Others, like Transformers take a big hit, fall but they can slowly get back up.

Last edited:

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania says hi

You replied to this: "DC has done nothing but take hits sine MoS."

With this: "You could argue it's starting to happen to Marvel. (Besides Guardians)"

Quantumania is one movie that came after a year of box office successes, which came after a decade of box office successes, which was immediately followed up with another huge hit. No, you can't actually use Quantumania to argue that Marvel is starting to take "nothing but hits."

Unless we have to, for the 10th time this week probably, debunk the idea that the MCU is doing poorly at the box office.

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Ah, I misread the post.

Man of Steel was… it didn't even get a super positive response.

Not sure how it generated the cult following for Snyder it did

Feb 9, 2018
Here's an update to GOTG3's weekly domestic performance, plus how Across the Spider-verse stacks up to the same films I compared GOTG3 to:

gotg3atsv-vs-others-1.png

GOTG3 continues to do well for itself domestically, having one of the strongest sixth weeks in the history of the MCU. In nominal terms, its sixth week was bested only by those of Endgame (barely), No Way Home, Black Panther, Infinity War, The Avengers, and Captain Marvel. It continues to have one of the lowest drop-off rates of any MCU film to date, and in absolute terms is well on its way to having the highest post-Week 2 gross of any post-Endgame MCU film besides No Way Home (its gross after just Week 1 will probably fall short of Wakanda Forever's due to that film getting a big boost from the Thanksgiving holiday in its second week). Outside of North America, it has apparently already exceeded GOTG2's lifetime gross in most major markets, with the only notable places it's lagging behind being China and Japan.

Across the Spider-Verse is also doing very well for itself. It has already far surpassed the lifetime gross of Into the Spider-Verse. Like GOTG3, it had a relatively soft drop in Week 2. It will definitely do well over $300M lifetime domestically, possibly somewhere in the $330-350M range. I noticed some unusual behavior it has in its daily box office, namely that it hasn't had the best weekends relative to the other films in the chart, but it has much stronger weekdays, resulting in the weekends having a noticeably lower share of the total weekly gross for its first two weeks. While its opening weekend was noticeably lower than every other movie on that graph aside from GOTG3, its first Monday-Thursday period easily bested all the others. Its second weekday period likewise bested all of the films on the chart, except for Wakanda Forever, which as mentioned got a boost from the Thanksgiving holiday in its second weekday period and third weekend. If ATSV continues to exhibit this behavior, then if its weekends drop off at a similar rate to GOTG3, then the strong weekday periods could actually propel it to a good bit over $350M. It will be an interesting showdown between ATSV and these other films, and I'm sure Sony is more than happy with its performance.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Ah, I misread the post.

Man of Steel was… it didn't even get a super positive response.

Not sure how it generated the cult following for Snyder it did

Exactly, Man of Steel started a universe with a middling film that split the fanbase over it's controversial portrayal of Superman.

The foundation was a sand castle

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
Here's an update to GOTG3's weekly domestic performance, plus how Across the Spider-verse stacks up to the same films I compared GOTG3 to:

gotg3atsv-vs-others-1.png

GOTG3 continues to do well for itself domestically, having one of the strongest sixth weeks in the history of the MCU. In nominal terms, its sixth week was bested only by those of Endgame (barely), No Way Home, Black Panther, Infinity War, The Avengers, and Captain Marvel. It continues to have one of the lowest drop-off rates of any MCU film to date, and in absolute terms is well on its way to having the highest post-Week 2 gross of any post-Endgame MCU film besides No Way Home (its gross after just Week 1 will probably fall short of Wakanda Forever's due to that film getting a big boost from the Thanksgiving holiday in its second week). Outside of North America, it has apparently already exceeded GOTG2's lifetime gross in most major markets, with the only notable places it's lagging behind being China and Japan.

Across the Spider-Verse is also doing very well for itself. It has already far surpassed the lifetime gross of Into the Spider-Verse. Like GOTG3, it had a relatively soft drop in Week 2. It will definitely do well over $300M lifetime domestically, possibly somewhere in the $330-350M range. I noticed some unusual behavior it has in its daily box office, namely that it hasn't had the best weekends relative to the other films in the chart, but it has much stronger weekdays, resulting in the weekends having a noticeably lower share of the total weekly gross for its first two weeks. While its opening weekend was noticeably lower than every other movie on that graph aside from GOTG3, its first Monday-Thursday period easily bested all the others. Its second weekday period likewise bested all of the films on the chart, except for Wakanda Forever, which as mentioned got a boost from the Thanksgiving holiday in its second weekday period and third weekend. If ATSV continues to exhibit this behavior, then if its weekends drop off at a similar rate to GOTG3, then the strong weekday periods could actually propel it to a good bit over $350M. It will be an interesting showdown between ATSV and these other films, and I'm sure Sony is more than happy with its performance.

dang those BP2 legs were solid

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
They cast fucking Angela Bassett in Green Lantern to play Amanda Waller.

I don't think they had a plan (has the DCEU ever?), but they definitely hedged their bets that Green Lantern was gonna be the new start of something.

kowhite

May 14, 2019
They cast fucking Angela Bassett in Green Lantern to play Amanda Waller.

I don't think they had a plan (has the DCEU ever?), but they definitely hedged their bets that Green Lantern was gonna be the new start of something.

Huh. I remember Bassett being in that movie, but I don't think I recalled at all that she was playing Amanda Waller.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if Muschietti still gets Batman after this

Gunn might have to yolo Superman AND Batman to get this thing off the ground

Or, you know... just let Reeves keep cooking.

Feb 9, 2018
dang those BP2 legs were solid
It did get a big boost from the Thanksgiving holiday, hence the strong performance in Week 2 and Weekend 3, but even beyond that it did do decently. At nearly $454M lifetime, it still out-grossed all but six other MCU films in nominal terms. So much for "Marvel fatigue." Sure, that's a lot less than BP1, but BP1 far exceeded all expectations. Nobody expected it to get anywhere close to $700M domestic. Chadwick as T'Challa was the right actor for the right character & film at the right time. The hype was as huge and the film was excellent. It'd be hard to replicate that, especially with the tragic loss of Chadwick.

kowhite

May 14, 2019
Actually, they were going to make that in 2004. Wolfgang Petersen was going to direct. The. They split it into Batman Begins and Superman Returns.

Then they made very real development progress on Justice League Mortal in 2007-2008. Script was there. George Miller directing. He cast the whole movie. Then it got put on ice, I think the huge success of Dark Knight made them second guess the idea of an alternate Batman.

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Then they made very real development progress on Justice League Mortal in 2007-2008. Script was there. George Miller directing. He cast the whole movie. Then it got put on ice, I think the huge success of Dark Knight made them second guess the idea of an alternate Batman.
Yeah, I think everyone said Bale's Batman wouldn't work in a Justice League universe.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
It did get a big boost from the Thanksgiving holiday, hence the strong performance in Week 2 and Weekend 3, but even beyond that it did do decently. At nearly $454M lifetime, it still out-grossed all but six other MCU films in nominal terms. So much for "Marvel fatigue." Sure, that's a lot less than BP1, but BP1 far exceeded all expectations. Nobody expected it to get anywhere close to $700M domestic. Chadwick as T'Challa was the right actor for the right character & film at the right time. The hype was as huge and the film was excellent. It'd be hard to replicate that, especially with the tragic loss of Chadwick.

Yeah exactly. It's funny how the narrative shifts when you have a sequel that surpasses the original (Spider-Verse), vs a sequel that is lower than the original (Wakanda Forever), even though the numbers are pretty much the same.

Wakanda Forever was at $340 million domestic by day 15, Across the Spider-Verse is at $260 million at the same point, yet all we heard was MCU FATIGUE MCU IS KILL

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
The writers' strike also affected it... oh hey, speaking of.

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah exactly. It's funny how the narrative shifts when you have a sequel that surpasses the original (Spider-Verse), vs a sequel that is lower than the original (Wakanda Forever), even though the numbers are pretty much the same.

Wakanda Forever was at $340 million domestic by day 15, Across the Spider-Verse is at $260 million at the same point, yet all we heard was MCU FATIGUE MCU IS KILL
True, but Wakanda Forever also had no real competition till Avatar.

At least not that I can recall

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if Muschietti still gets Batman after this

Gunn might have to yolo Superman AND Batman to get this thing off the ground

Or, you know... just let Reeves keep cooking.

I'm not sure if they'd do it because there's a question of how much of this is really his fault in the first place. But if they're then they nee to just rip the band aid off as soon as possible. There's enough negativity around DC without having questions about a director. With that said, pulling him off might reek a bit of what's gone on with Lucasfilm and how successful directors seemed to be removed from Star Wars movies simply because they have one movie that doesn't do well.

VinylCassette64

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I think a major Indy bomb could result in Kathleen Kennedy leaving. Meanwhile the WB execs responsible for Flash are already out so I'm going with the former right now.

Post-merger WB-Discovery inherited Flash when that was still in post-production. New management couldn't had actively changed the film from what it started as by that point; but there was pressure/rumors on whether the new heads would instead junk the film or redirect it on HBO Max at the height of Miller's controversies. They instead pushed hard to continue whipping the film into theaters; even when they made a point of cancelling or writing off several other films and shows (that in some cases certainly cost much less) for the sake of cutting costs/reducing debt.

Though if any layoffs happen for Flash's failure, I'm sure it's mainly going to be people on the lower ranks of WB-D; rather than any executives up top that called the shots.

These motherflippers need to learn how to reign their budgets. All the movies doing good recently have range of $100m budget and it's a gargantuan difference in breaking even point. Barbie and Oppenheimer are going to be another test.

Some of these films with colossal budgets wouldn't even have to suffer such drastic brinkmanship if the studios would pick quieter release periods. Sure, a September or January month gives you less chance for drawing in crowds compared to the summer or winter holiday seasons, but at least you're not having to compete against other heavyweights releasing around the same time (if not the same weekend).

That said, at least most of the other big studios are still willing to release some mid-budget films in the theater. I will say it again that thanks to Iger's direction, Disney (outside of the Fox divisions) is a hardcore addict towards releasing nothing but films with $100M+ blockbuster budgets, even in scenarios where the films in question really don't need them. I can't imagine a new Haunted Mansion film adaptation needed even a $100M budget, let alone $158M, even when counting the budget being possibly inflated by COVID restrictions. Same goes for the recent pre-COVID Disney adaptations like Artemis Fowl, Nutcracker/Four Realms, and A Wrinkle in Time.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
I personally don't think the movie looks good and I am pretty sure I can tell what's going to happen beat by beat just from the poster.

"Elements do not mix!"
"...Oh fuck me, Elements DO mix! Wow!"
"The end"
Lol.

But yeah the trailers weren't too hot but apparently the movie was fine.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
Disney is having a rough summer. Little Mermaid will do decently but Elemental and Indy are looking to bomb.

Wonder how this will effect the restructuring.