• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rvaan

Oct 25, 2017
Shazam! is going very well in the US. Should hit $50M+ this weekend

Meanwhile in China...

I guess Shazam! needed a longer, more "cinematic"/spectacular action scene like Wonder Woman and Aquaman. Or have that SSS tier marketing campaign that Venom had.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I guess Shazam! needed a longer, more "cinematic"/spectacular action scene like Wonder Woman and Aquaman. Or have that SSS tier marketing campaign that Venom had.
A goofy character-driven comedy about a kid with super powers was never really going to play that well in China. Not enough spectacle.

How did Deadpool fare in China?

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
No worries about Shazam. It being done in a much lesser budget helps a ton.

Plus it's having great word of mouth from my side. Happy to see it get a great response. Real charming film

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
I had Spider-Verse levels of enjoyment with Shazam. I was grinning and my jaw dropped multiple times.

Just like Spider-Verse, this movie deserves to be loved.

Phoony17

Oct 27, 2017
Narangba, AUS
Shazam! is going very well in the US. Should hit $50M+ this weekend

Meanwhile in China...

Before OW I thought $500m would be great for Shazam! But WW has been softer than expected. It's going to struggle to make $400m

xaosslug

Oct 27, 2017
Dumbo was always going to underperform as will Toy Story 4 and Artemis Fowl. The rest of Disney's slate is A1 though.

Can't wait for next week to see how Shazam and Pet Sematary performs.

y'all getting crazy. And then when it hits $400-$500m dom, and 1b ww peeps are gonna act shocked. xD

DUMBO flopped because it's not 1:1 like Jungle Book was and Lion King will be. It tried to make humans happen, and peeps didn't care. As an aside Aladdin seems 1:1, so regardless of the wonky Genie it's gonna smash on the a songs alone.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Based on the audience reaction I had in Shazam that movie is gonna have fantastic wom and legs. It's awesome it deserves it. Detective Pikachu and Godzilla continue to get good reactions from their trailers.

kitzkozan

Oct 25, 2017
Before OW I thought $500m would be great for Shazam! But WW has been softer than expected. It's going to struggle to make $400m

I think it can do 400M without problems, but 500 isn't happening because of Endgame. A gross similar to Bumblebee would be a big win for WB and something to build upon and that seems to be the intention. Let's not forget that several kids are involved in this and they will grow fast so they will probably act quickly if they want to do a sequel.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
Shazam was always going to be a hard sell

If it manages to only make a small profit, I think WB would still count that as a win because of the strong reviews