• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

OrangeAtlas

Oct 25, 2017
This is ResetEra's weekend box office thread. While the OP focuses on the popular weekend tallies, we typically discuss box office throughout the week as well when notable films are playing. New threads are are posted each Sunday morning, between 8-10am PST.

pztNxNK.png

VsfKyfR.png

5KkNS2d.png

mZbgoL7.png

SR0M7Pd.png

'Dumbo' Doesn't Soar With $45M Opening; Matthew McConaughey At Bottom With $1.8M 'Beach Bum'

Disney's Dumbo didn't leave a big footprint with a meh $45M opening after a $17.5M Saturday, which, next to Friday-plus previews, is +16%. This is not one of the better openings for a tentpole-conceived live action remake of a Disney 'toon from a marquee director. After shelling out $170M to make a movie based on a 78-year old Disney cornerstone character, this can't be celebrated as a grand slam in the wake of Beauty and the Beast, Jungle Book, Cinderella, and Maleficent. Sorry, Dumbo didn't soar, but he wasn't completely grounded either. Disney is calling Dumbo at $45M, which is under the $50M+ start they hoped for and the crazy $60M estimates a couple of B.O. analysts were seeing.

As we said in the previous update, Dumbo wasn't a case of the studio fumbling marketing, he's just an old, melancholy elephant, even if he does fly, and, well, that's not a sell-out.

When it comes to their brands, Disney likes to emphasize how their properties (like the tired Cars) go well beyond the big screen into theme parks and merchandising sales. Their characters' lives don't end at the big screen. That said, it's fair to say that the so-so stateside performance of Dumbo won't shorten lines for the ride at Disneyland parks, or send his plush animal sales into the tank. But it's probably unlikely anyone will be dressing up as Jumbo Jr. at Halloween, a la Elsa a year after the massive Frozen was released. Whether critics liked Dumbo or not, Disney entrusted Burton to make the most authentic Dumbo as possible, and, in the end, the pachyderm pic isn't so horrible that he's tarnished his brand. Essentially, the studio can check off a box that they made a Dumbo live action film and branched out a 78-year old property. And Disney can take such gambles on live-action family fare, like Wrinkle in Time last year, since they have a slate of Marvel fare to bail them out.

Also, Dumbo skews way younger: 51% of those between 7-9 made up the majority of kids under 12 in PostTrak exits. Fifty-nine percent were under-25, with 41% under 17 years old. The mix was 53% Caucasian, 24% Hispanic, 14% Asian/Other & 9% African-American. Dumbo played best in the West, Mid & South-West. Nine out of the top three runs came from there, with one in NY. IMAX & PLF accounted for 20% of the BO, while 3-D made up only 12.5% (some of which was included in the IMAX & PLF). Hopefully, the A- CinemaScore pans out for the pic's word of mouth in weeks to come.

Pure Flix for a while released their movies without distribution partners, i.e. Freestyle with the 2014 Lent sleeper God's Not Dead, which opened to $9.2M and did a 6.6 multiple for a final $60.7M. But among their own distributed product under their faith-based label, their challenged, anti-abortion film Unplanned turned out to be PureFlix's second-best opening of all-time with $6.1M, after 2016's God's Not Dead 2 ($7.6M). Remarkable, considering that the film was rated R, still pulled in its faith-based followers, with the distributor boxed out from running TV spots on most major cable networks and Christian radio.

Bleecker Street/ShivHans' Hotel Mumbai made $3.1M with the wider audience in weekend 2 rating the film at 77% positive with a 50% recommend,which won't get the film very far in the long run. Those who showed were 52% Female and surprisingly 63% under 35 years old with the largest quad being 25-34 at 30%. The mix was 51% Caucasian, 25% Asian/Other, 17% Hispanic, & 7% African American. Hotel Mumbaiplayed best the coasts where 9 of the top 10 runs came from and the big cities clearly lead the way.

<Click on the Article Headline to read more>

DOMESTIC WEEKEND BOX OFFICE

*Click the chart to view the full source

WORLDWIDE BOX OFFICE UPDATES

Captain Marvel - $990M
Bohemian Rhapsody - $896M
How to Train Your Dragon 3 - $501M
Spider-Man: Into the Spiderverse - $372M
Alita: Battle Angel - $402M
Green Book -$295M
The Lego Movie 2 - $183M
Ruben Brandt, Collector - $0.1M

Weekend Box Office Archive and Appendix

Thread Archive

Web links to box office resources

Explanation of Box Office Terms, Abbreviations, and Concepts

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
No way unplanned cost 6 million dollars unless they were laundering money. It looked Lifetime movie level and those are made for a million dollars in 2 weeks

jmood88

Oct 28, 2017
I wonder when Disney is going to give Feige his billion-dollar lifetime contract.

May 10, 2018
So bohemian rhapsody is really going to make $900 million. I haven't seen it but damn.

CM should hit $1 billion by Tuesday I guess.

Interested to see how Shazam does in its OW. Saw it already and it's really good.

Christian

Oct 25, 2017
That 11 Metascore with a 53% Tomatometer is mystifying. (Not really, some people probably just gave it a zero, which dragged it down. But I can't remember seeing such a disparity on the "Rotten"/low score side.)

Oct 30, 2017
So far Jordan Peele's movies have grossed over $300 million domestic and growing from just 2 films with the combined production budget of some rich executive's couch cushion change . Man can pretty much do whatever the hell he wants!

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
I think that's the same budget as Alita, and I think people said Alita's breakeven was probably around 450 mil

Yeah, Dumbo's probably gonna bomb. Also, how the fuck did it cost that much to make? It has great production design, but that doesn't explain where the budget went. Also, Dumbo himself looks servicable, but the CGI isn't amazing (certainly not near something like Alita in quality or quantity).

Oct 27, 2017
So does Captain Marvel have another $160 mil in the tank to beat Aquaman or is that completely out of the question at this point?

MisterHero

Oct 25, 2017
Is Unplanned the one where Ms. Calendar comes back to Giles and they kill all the vampires and live happy forever

I'd watch it if it was

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Captain Marvel is going to join the billionaire club soon.

Absolutely amazing.

(Us is also doing real well. Peele is definitely going to keep making the kinds of movies he wants to make, and I am here for it.)

admataY

Oct 25, 2017
" Dead babies" is a shoe in for an acting razzie this year I think, completely lifeless performance ,

DMVfan123

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
Can't wait to make $30 off my two friends who thought Captain Marvel wouldn't make a billion dollars! Gonna put it towards pre-ordering Days Gone
Glad Us is killing it as well, great movie!

higemaru

Nov 30, 2017
Dumbo was made to renew copyright so Disney will just eat the costs. You're gonna get Lady and the tramp directed by Kenneth Branagh in 2026 and you're gonna like it even if it grosses 40 million on a $160m budget

less

Oct 25, 2017
Captain Marvel doing so well.

McConaughey...what happened to this guy? I can't remember the last truly good thing he did. Interstellar?

spookyduzt

Drive-In Mutant
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
We live in a world where a live action Gunnm film making $402 million isn't good enough to get a sequel. :(

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
Seeya

"How did you feel about US?"

I liked it a lot, though it wasn't the punch that Get Out was. More traditional horror, but well done.

Wish they'd explained less, though. Weakest aspect of the movie.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
5 weeks in, madea family funeral made more than beach bum, lol

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Captain Marvel hitting $1b during the week Shazam gets released seems oddly quaint.