The future of stadia:

• It will be a success

Votes: 286 13.4%
  • It will fail

Votes: 1,855 86.6%

• Total voters

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
How would anyone even know? I doubt google will release any real numbers that are useful. If they say "10 MILLION hours of games were streamed in the first 30 days!!!" thats a meaningless stat, and I seriously doubt they will break out how many units sold, how many hours per user, etc. It'll get even more murky once the free version is out in 2020.

I do agree though that unless they release a "killer game" in 2020 that only works on stadia and has a good reason why it only works on stadia, I don't see how the service just doesn't limp on and devs slowly stop porting to it unless Google pays them off.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
How would anyone even know? I doubt google will release any real numbers that are useful. If they say "10 MILLION hours of games were streamed in the first 30 days!!!" thats a meaningless stat, and I seriously doubt they will break out how many units sold, how many hours per user, etc. It'll get even more murky once the free version is out in 2020.

We'll know how successful it is based on third party support.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I both think it will fail and want it to fail. I don't want Google in the gaming sphere, I don't want a 5th Column of platforms, and I definitely don't want anyone to get the idea that a streaming only future is possible.

Error 52

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I think Stadia will fail, and I say that independent of whether or not cloud gaming will succeed. (I'm 50/50 on that)

Google just seems clueless.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
long term: success, but it'll go through several iterations, may not even be "stadia" some years later. i could see it getting engulfed into Google Play and/or some subscription service or whatever. there will be success but it won't be a straight, upward trajectory

short term: it has a few rough years ahead. "launch" will be a bomb by traditional console standards.... it'll be something that's just kind of there. everybody will jump to proclaim it as an epic failure but in reality it's something that's just incubating

Last edited:

kirbyfan407

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe I'm weird, but I don't count next month as the launch that will determine its success. I think once the service is available to people who aren't "founders" is when we'll see if it's a success or not.

I guess the questions that I see as needing to be answered are: "How many people out there want to game enough that they'll pay $60 for a game and buy a controller but didn't want to game enough that they bought a console or PC?" and "For how many people is streaming more preferable to having dedicated hardware?"

My guess is it'll be a moderate success (disappointing by some metrics), and there won't be enough people in either category for it to truly take off. However, if Google comes out with a Game Pass like service...I think we could see things change. (We'll see how successful their PS+/XBL Gold approach works in the meantime.)

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
Given the already half-baked launch (not fully featured out the gate plus "early access" approach), bandwidth and capacity limitations from ISPs, and Google's eagerness to just ditch projects on a whim...

Yeah, this thing is super dead.

And I say this as someone who owns multiple Google products and has used their services daily for years.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
It's not going to be a success or failure on day one. Most new technology isn't. My money is on, in 5 years time, we'll know whether it was/will be a success, or not.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
Neither, this is the soft launch, you can't judge the Stadia success by that.

You need to wait for when Stadia will be available to everyone...

Fliep

Banned
Feb 13, 2018
I want streaming to succeed, but I want Google to fail eventually. I will try out their service to play Cyberpunk in 4k and to look if streaming itself could be worth it, but I do not like Google enough to want them in the gaming sphere (outside of mobile, which I don't care about). Streaming on the other hand is something I would wish to be the standard in a few years - I hope MS and other competitors outside of Google will establish a market for this.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe I'm weird, but I don't count next month as the launch that will determine its success. I think once the service is available to people who aren't "founders" is when we'll see if it's a success or not.

it's not weird at all, it's common sense. it's a new(-ish) medium and the "blockbuster opening weekend" doesn't make much sense as a metric. it's like being in 1985 and arguing millions of people not rushing out to buy an NES makes it a flop.

don't get me wrong they could be very "google" about it and trash it soon after, but maybe they're playing the long game. it's not too out there

X-Peaceman-X

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
I both think it will fail and want it to fail. I don't want Google in the gaming sphere, I don't want a 5th Column of platforms, and I definitely don't want anyone to get the idea that a streaming only future is possible.
This is such a toxic attitude, we need much less of this in game culture in general. Let gaming grow in every way possible. Give people more choices to fit whatever style they prefer. Streaming EVENTUALLY will be the future and physical and local digital media will be a niche, Physical is already really close to that in fact.

And ya know what? thats totally ok as long as we always make sure things WORK how we want before we throw money away thats all that matters.
Keep an open mind to how everyone consumes media.

Your attitude IMO is the gamer version of a Hardcore conservative.

Dinoegg_96

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
As someone living in a third world country, I don't even know how many people are actually interested in this thing.

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is such a toxic attitude, we need much less of this in game culture in general. Let gaming grow in every way possible. Give people more choices to fit whatever style they prefer. Streaming EVENTUALLY will be the future and physical and local digital media will be a niche, Physical is already really close to that in fact.

And ya know what? thats totally ok as long as we always make sure things WORK how we want before we throw money away thats all that matters.
Keep an open mind to how everyone consumes media.

Your attitude IMO is the gamer version of a Hardcore conservative.
Streaming will never become primary over local play unless someone can invent a faster than light internet that never drops connection. It's just not possible.

As well, streaming is the ultimate abrogation of ownership and consumer rights. Digital is pretty bad as-is, but with streaming the control is 110% in the hands of the distributor, which is terrible for the art and preservation of games.

X-Peaceman-X

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Streaming will never become primary over local play unless someone can invent a faster than light internet that never drops connection. It's just not possible.

As well, streaming is the ultimate abrogation of ownership and consumer rights. Digital is pretty bad as-is, but with streaming the control is 110% in the hands of the distributor, which is terrible for the art and preservation of games.
So you dont believe that any of that will happen in the future, near or far?

Edit: And who cares if you "Own" the media per say as long as you have access to it whenever and are able to do what you need with it?
Obviously there are caveats to that but for the larger portion of gamers all we need is access.

Deleted member 52407

Banned
Jan 23, 2019
It will fail.

I tried Playstation Now on a 115Mbps(14MB/s) wifi connection and the latency and image quality was still terrible. It was equivalent to playing a 360p Youtube video. I played God of War for 45min and just completely gave up on it after that.

Feb 10, 2018
It will fail.

I tried Playstation Now on a 115Mbps(14MB/s) wifi connection and the latency and image quality was still terrible. It was equivalent to playing a 360p Youtube video. I played God of War for 45min and just completely gave up on it after that.
What?
360p youtube?

It's not 4k or anything, but it looks HD still.
I played killzone shadow fall on it and I could easily play the whole game that way..
I actually get way more lag using remote play on my phone.

Deleted member 52407

Banned
Jan 23, 2019
What?
360p youtube?

It's not 4k or anything, but it looks HD still.
I played killzone shadow fall on it and I could easily play the whole game that way..
I actually get way more lag using remote play on my phone.

I'm sure it was just a hitch somewhere and not typical for most, but it did sour my experience with streaming because my internet is capable of streaming 4k60 on multiple devices simultaneously but for whatever reason it looked like a 360p Youtube video.

Feb 10, 2018
I'm sure it was just a hitch somewhere and not typical for most, but it did sour my experience with streaming because my internet is capable of streaming 4k60 on multiple devices simultaneously but for whatever reason it looked like a 360p Youtube video.

How odd, for me I was actually surprised how good it was, however killzone sf looked and played well better then RDR1, which had bad delay and looked like a PS1 game.

EVA UNIT 01

Oct 27, 2017
CA
strong presence first 3 months with fucked reports about functionality and dead before 2 years.
id like to be wrong because its just an option...but its google so i cant be confident

Kawngi

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
I had initially pre-ordered the founder's bundle when it first went up, as I'm a hopeless early adopter. Then after they released a bit more info, and I thought about it more, it just isn't for me at all. I cancelled the order a while back. I just can't picture it being a big success. I'm far more interested in MS and Sony's next gen offerings.

Vibed

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
A moderate success, but in the long term it'll fizzle out after a couple years. It's too early for streaming

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Google doesn't seem to give a shit when their stuff fails, so I doubt it will sell much beyond the launch period.

Poison Jam

Nov 6, 2017
Depends on the timeframe. I think it'll do okay for a while, but I question its longevity. It'll be interesting seeing where Stadia is at in a couple years.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
It will fail because it's not practical. Most internet providers have internet caps. Playing games for hours on end everyday will eat that cap pretty easily on top of the regular youtube and other streaming. Also I was a beta tester for project stream and the Image Quality was definitely not comparable to PS4 or Xbox release. It felt like I was watching someone stream the game on twitch or youtube. Streaming artifacts were everywhere and I was actually using 1 Gbps connection at the time. Input lag was acceptable for AC Odyssey, but not for anything that requires more response. I bet that FPS will feel unplayable IMO.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
With its current planned business model it will fail. Just imagine if with next-gen Sony and/or Microsoft come out and give everyone who purchases a digital game through their respective online stores a streamable copy as well, RIP Stadia if that happens. Fully expect it to shut down in 2022/2023 unless they make some big changes.
Yeo this. It needs to be netflix style subscription to work, not buying games to stream.
This so much. And to ensure a good amount of quality exclusive content they need to open or acquire a bunch of studios.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
With its current planned business model it will fail. Just imagine if with next-gen Sony and/or Microsoft come out and give everyone who purchases a digital game through their respective online stores a streamable copy as well, RIP Stadia if that happens. Fully expect it to shut down in 2022/2023 unless they make some big changes.

This so much. And to ensure a good amount of quality exclusive content they need to open or acquire a bunch of studios.
Being able to play your games on local hardware is what limits PSnow and xcloud compared to stadia

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
It will stumble but eventually become a success once Google figures out how to sell it to folks.