Votes: 286 13.4%
  • It will fail

Votes: 1,855 86.6%

• Total voters

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No, I know exactly what I'm talking about. The free portion of their service is coming next year but that is not the launch of their service... November 19th is. There is no "Founders launch", you are making up that term, hence me saying you making up shit. At launch there will only be founder editions available and buddy passes from it... But that is still their launch. Launching in different countries absolutely have costs and requirements, wtf. Lol.

Sure, whatever you say. It's totally not a Founder's launch even though that's literally the only way you have access to the service in Nov. Man you're dense.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
Sure, whatever you say. It's totally not a Founder's launch even though that's literally the only way you have access to the service in Nov. Man you're dense.
You are making up a term that doesn't exist...just because that's the only way you can access the service doesn't make it a "founders launch"...go look at any article talking about Stadia's launch...

Oh better yet, let's see what Google says:

Google said:
Play Stadia in November with Founder's Edition.
Get access to Stadia at launch.​

Does it say anything about a "Founder's Launch"? No.
You are trying to make it sound like they have 2 launches...No, they don't. They have one launch and updates to the service. That is it.

Last edited:

DiceHands

Oct 27, 2017
I think its gonna stick around for awhile, but will play fourth or even fifth fiddle to PC/Switch/Xbox/PS5 etc. It will be that awkward option that is out there, but not preferred.

rezuth

Nov 5, 2017
It will find lukewarm success and be quietly killed within two years after launch, like most Google projects.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
No, I know exactly what I'm talking about. The free portion of their service is coming next year but that is not the launch of their service... November 19th is. There is no "Founders launch", you are making up that term, hence me saying you making up shit. At launch there will only be founder editions available and buddy passes from it... But that is still their launch. Launching in different countries absolutely have costs and requirements, wtf. Lol.
That's what's known in the game industry as a "soft launch", when they artificially restrict the number of people who can play for a time to make sure everything is working as expected, figure out how real people use a service/game so it can be tweaked for the mass-market, etc. This is not like launch shortages of consoles, because the developer made as many as they could and continue to release them, while Stadia clearly has a limited number of founders. Note how when they sold out of founder units, the "Premier Edition" that replaced it doesn't come with a buddy pass nor does it ship until sometime later than the Founder Editions; this is because they want to limit the number of people who play at the soft launch.

Normally a soft launch is held by limiting purchasers to a certain small country (often New Zealand), since that's an easy way to restrict it, but Google couldn't do that because the service depends on close proximity to their servers.

Last edited:

IamFlying

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 6, 2019
They are limiting sale, it's quite obvious. People from UK can't order for more than a week.

Its obviously a beta launch, strangely a beta were first adopters have to pay for.

Anyway Google probably doesn't want to many people for this at the beginning, because the whole concept will show its weakness when many people at once want to play in the evening and not equally distributed over the day. They would need practically a "gaming pc hardware" ready for every user, or just reduce image quality when many users at once want to play.

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You are making up a term that doesn't exist...just because that's the only way you can access the service doesn't make it a "founders launch"...go look at any article talking about Stadia's launch...

Oh better yet, let's see what Google says:

Does it say anything about a "Founder's Launch"? No.
You are trying to make it sound like they have 2 launches...No, they don't. They have one launch and updates to the service. That is it.

The only one dense here is you making up shit.

If the only people who can play it on Nov. 19 are founders then its a founders launch. Don't be ridiculous. You acting like it's a full launch when the overwhelming majority of people have no access to it is just ignorant.

It's a soft launch...for founders. You getting all hung up on semantics and pissy because you can't understand that isn't my problem.

That's what's known in the game industry as a "soft launch", when they artificially restrict the number of people who can play for a time to make sure everything is working as expected, figure out how real people use a service/game so it can be tweaked for the mass-market, etc. This is not like launch shortages of consoles, because the developer made as many as they could and continue to release them, while Stadia clearly has a limited number of founders. Note how when they sold out of founder units, the "Premier Edition" that replaced it doesn't come with a buddy pass nor does it ship until sometime later than the Founder Editions; this is because they want to limit the number of people who play at the soft launch.

Thank you, jesus, it's not rocket science. Dude's being intentionally obtuse.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
It will find lukewarm success and be quietly killed within two years after launch, like most Google projects.
Most Google projects that are killed last 4-8 years, not two. Even total flops, like the recent Google Clips camera - that one isn't having its support terminated until December 2021.

kdm

Oct 30, 2017
Got any examples of this? People flocking to a Google service and Google pulling the plug on it?

Google is notorious for deprecating services and hardware - after many years. I mean just look at Google+, launched in 2011, very few people ever actually used it, is finally getting shut down in 2020 primarily because of a data leak (they don't want to continue to risk people's data, nor spend money to make it more secure). Almost always, when you see Google services canceled in a short time, it's not really canceled, but rebranded or merged into/replaced by another service. And when they do cancel something people paid money for, they don't render it unusable.

Most recent example: Google isn't producing or supporting Google Daydream anymore, they officially killed it, since the average mobile-phone VR user uses their VR headset only twice. But the Daydream app store and the apps for it aren't going anywhere, people who bought apps or games for it can still play them, as long as they keep the compatible phone. Another recent example: Google Clips was a total, total flop, a $250 poor quality camera that took its own video clips. So now after 1.5 years they are removing it from the store - but it's going to remain supported until December 2021, giving people more than two additional years to get full use of it and then get their data off the camera.

Honestly a bunch come to personal mind, yes. From hardware specifically, the Google TV set top box. I had several that died on the vine with exceptionally poor support. I'd venture to say that Valve has better hardware support than Google, in my experience.

DeusOcha

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Japan
I don't believe the US (or the West in general for that matter) has the Internet infrastructure to support gaming via streaming. Maybe one day but that day/future isn't the present.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
I don't believe the US (or the West in general for that matter) has the Internet infrastructure to support gaming via streaming. Maybe one day but that day/future isn't the present.
Aside from the US, what other major market dues not offer unlimited internet of at least 35mbps?

Obviously rural areas almost everywhere will fall into that category as well

DanSensei

Nov 15, 2017
I voted fail because it's definitely not going to be a roaring success out of the gates, but I don't necessarily think it's going to die off overnight. It's going to exist in its own little bubble for a few years until they get it integrated into other services, like Youtube letting you start a demo immediately after watching an ad.
So like those obnoxious mobile games that force you to play a demo for 30 seconds? I wanna vomit.

Stadia will be line VR. People will say it's a major step technologically, but they'll get over it leaving a small fanbase