leafcutter

Feb 14, 2018
Summer vacation when I was 9, I saw Halloween, Speed, the Alien trilogy, and Terminator + T2.

Judging by some of the responses here, I guess I'm lucky that I never watched horror movies before then.

XL Hoodie

Oct 25, 2017
U.S.
You know how small children watch shit like Frozen or Finding Nemo every day? That was me with The Nightmare on Elm Street.

jmizzal

Oct 27, 2017
The only movie I can remember seeing in theaters when I was young that was R is Juice

But I seen a bunch of R rated horror and action movies as a kid on video and cable

Mihos

Oct 28, 2017
I remember seeing Jaws in the theater, but I don't remember what it was rated back then. The Omen came out the year after that. I remember being bored.

twentytwo22

Oct 25, 2017
I remember seeing Terminator 2 and True Lies when I was pretty young. The first R-rated movie I saw in theater was Me, Myself, and Irene, which was pretty terrible. I think I was 14 or so.

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
All of them. My parents didn't restrict them.

Childs Play, Living Dead movies, Basket Case, Die Hard, Terminator, Segal films...

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
I remember sneaking into my parents bedroom and watching Harlem Nights on the HBO enabled box they had setup in there.

Downhome

Oct 27, 2017
I saw The Texas Chainsaw Massacre on VHS when I was six or seven. My sister and her bf at the time took me to the rental place, they got that and I got some Disney cartoons, and when they watched TCM they let me watch it with them. It's why the scene with the kill with the big hammer and then the guy has convulsions on the floor hit me so hard, why it still hits me just as hard.

Then my sister took me to watch Hear No Evil, See No Evil in the theater when it came out in 1989. My sister let me watch pretty much anything when I was little, haha. I watched pretty much anything, especially when my sister was around. I saw all the horror movies through the 80s and on when I was little.

Heck, the first movie I ever saw in a theater period was Return to Oz when I was five years old. Not rated R of course, but surely enough to hit hard for a little five year old kid.

CyrilFiggis

Nov 3, 2017
Pennsylvania
My first was Passenger 57, the Wesley Snipes plane hijacking movie. My mom tried so hard to keep me from watching it but all of my friends did and eventually I watched it at one of their houses.

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I rented Robocop when I was, like, 7 and it really fucked with me. I barely made it passed Murphy's execution.

Deleted member 17658

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Child's Play.

I was at least 5. I saw it in the living room with a bunch of other family members (teens and adults). That movie scared me for life. I cannot look at that doll and not feel uncomfortable. Any doll in fact just makes me feel eerie.

Monkey D.

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
was at my grandmas house. It was very late and everybody was sleeping but the tv was on. So i changed the channels until Robocop came on. Didnt know what that was at the time. I turned it on during the warehouse scene. I was like 9 maybe. Thats 20 years ago hahaha. lets just say, after they ( spoiler ...:P ) shot him to pieces i turned the tv off and was trying to fall asleep. Didnt work.

Oct 27, 2017
I had older siblings that took me to many R rated movies in the late 70s from age 3 on. I even saw Star Wars: A New Hope, Superman, Close Encounters in theaters when they first released. Some of the R rated movies I saw during that time were:

Alien
Saturday Night Fever
Halloween
Mad Max

Then in the early 80s I'd sneak into whatever movie was popular (after buying tickets for something else) and see movies like:

Friday the 13th

Porky's
The Sword and the Scorcerer
Losin' It
Christine
Escape from NY
The Shinning
Ghost Story

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All i could get my hands on. Aliens, Terminator, Robocop, etc. I grew up with Freddy Krueger.

Kayla

Oct 28, 2017
Night of the demons
IT
Terminator 2
Alien
Robocop
Blair Witch Project

I saw a lot of horror as a kid..

Rolodzeo

Nov 10, 2017
Spain, EU
Akira, Predator, The Shining, The Exorcist, The Day of the Beast, Child's Play, etc... I started liking movies at a very young age.

Creepy Woody

Nov 11, 2017
Australia
Saw both Terminator's when I was about 7 years old. T1 felt so hopeless and scary, it made me realize if someone really REALLY wants you dead, there isn't much you can do to stop them.

T2 was less thriller, more action so just cool and stylish, but the nuclear blast dream just burning flesh and leaving skeletons, burning those kids at the playground to dust was nightmare fuel.
We had Japanese as a class in our primary school at the time and naturally WWII and the atomic bombings were part of the teachings. I just remember realizing that this is the type of bomb they used, so this actually happened to people and can happen again.
Robert Patrick was also pretty scary, more so than Arnie in T1. Just that steely blank gaze and he can run as fast as a motorbike. Fuck. God he was so fucking good in that movie.

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
I remember being like 6 or 7 and my younger brother, older cousin and i were spending a week at our uncles place. We went to the videostore and we selected two movies, and he selected two..

We had problem child and ernest scared stupid. His were one film i cant recall and Chuck Norris' The Hitman which was brutally violent and definitely not something three kids under 12 should have watched.

I think the only other film i had seen at that age that was r rated that stuck with me was walking in on family watching the repair/self surgery scene in The Terminator at my grandparents house and being terrified of the T800 cutting his arm open and my cousin telling me not to watch until it was over. I didn't get into horror until i was a teenager.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
True Lies was probably my first R-rated movie, but I'd never have known it as a kid. Most of it feels about on par with James Bond.

The first R rated movie I felt the rating was Aliens. My cousins were watching it and I caught the scene when all the marines died.

Clowns

Oct 25, 2017
Terminator 1 when I was 4 or 5.
I threw a blanket over myself to hide.

Last edited:

Fanuilos

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Child's Play scarred me for a couple years. I think I was pretty young, like 3 or 4 when I saw parts of it. It's not rated R, but the Night on Bald Mountain segment of Fantasia terrified me as a kid. I would run out of the room as soon as it started.

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
We had a pirate box when I was younger so I saw all kinds of movies and boobies I was not suppose to

Oct 25, 2017
The only two I can remember the most seeing as a kid were The Rock (That Alcatraz movie with Sean Connery) and BASEketball.

The latter of which was the first movie my family and I ever walked out on because of how gross its antics were.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Pretty much allll the classics. It was a much more laid back time.

Alien, Aliens, Terminator, Robocop, Nightmare, Child's Play, Critters, etc. etc. Not counting tonnes of Comedies for older audiences.

Funny story about Terminator actually, we always had access to English speaking channels, as well as Dutch TV, one day Dutch TV had Terminator on, and my mom and I watched it together. I remember how we both simultanouesly snickered at the scene where he loses his eye in the drain while fixing himself.

I'm glad my mom is such a laid back person.

NekoFever

Oct 25, 2017
I know I was still in primary school (so age <11) when I saw Robocop, Predator, Nightmare on Elm Street, Terminator 2, probably others. And I really got into horror around the time Scream revitalised the genre when I was 11-12, so I'd seen basically all the big ones by the time I was about 14.

It used to be a mark of honour that you'd managed to convince your parents (usually your dad, let's be honest) to let you see them. It's why I laugh sometimes about how strict some people on here get about age ratings.

Lupercal

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
I think I saw all the 80 & 90s greats by the time I was 6-7 (Alien, Nightmare on Elm Street, Halloween, ..)
The only movie they forbid me to see what Silence of the Lambs though, my mother's scariest movie she'd ever seen.
Off course when I did see it at the age of 18-19 or something it seemed kinda tame considering everything I'd seen before.

Oct 26, 2017
My biggest memory is Jerry Maguire and having a hand slapped audibly over my eyes at the sex scene.

Oldest is Terminator 1 when i was 5.

Best is when I was officially allowed to watch any movie I wanted at 10, the birthday movie I requested was Demolition Man. What a pick.

Deleted member 27246

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Hellraiser at a kids birthday party (lol...wtf) and Predator with a friend. We 'stole' the VHS from his dads room and watched it while he was at work. Both when I was 11.

I also saw Total Recall in the theatre with a mate of mine. But considering the year it was released...I must've been 13, so the theater really didn't give a shit about certifications apparently

Staf

Nov 7, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden
My brother, who is 4 years older than me, watched a nightmare on elm street with a mate when i was 10. I remember sneaking a peek. Big fucking misstake.

Shogmaster

Banned
Dec 12, 2017
Our family bought our first VCR around 1983. And the first movie that the 11 year self rented from Block Buster video for me and my 8 year old sister was John Carpenter's The Thing. She didn't sleep for solid 2 weeks afterwards. I don't think I did either.

Nakenorm

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
5139OpPUynL.jpg

Barb Wire sticks out as the one I remember seeing completely by myself when I was alone at home.
I used to watch most R rated films at a friend because my mother wouldn't allow me to see them at home, stuff like Halloween, Alien, Elm Street etc.

mangopositive

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I saw Halloween when I was 2 or 3 because my dad didn't know that all three of his kids were awake and behind the couch while he watched it. I remember that very clearly. I'm not sure when it happened, but I never really had an R filter growing up. I do remember when my parents wanted to watch the George Carlin special with the 7 words you can't say on TV, so they sent us to watch TV in their bedroom. We just turned on the same thing and watched it in there. Next thing you know, I'm 9 years old seeing Aliens in the theater with my whole family. We used to go to video stores and find the most fucked-up covers in the horror section and our parents would rent them for us. That's how I saw Evil Dead 2 for the first time. Now, my wife is talking about putting filters on shit for my 3 year old son and I'm very conflicted. I think he'll let us know when he's ready to see R rated stuff. I've been amassing classic horror in my digital collection for when he's ready and we're going to have a ball going through it all when he's old enough.

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My parents really didn't mind at all. My mum used to take me to Blockbusters and i'd come home with Hellraiser, Nightmare on Elm street, Halloween etc from like 8 years old. I was just crazy into horror movies. And my nan loved action movies so we always watched Predator, Rambo, Best of the Best etc. Same goes for games, my mum never really minded about what a games age rating was. Remember her getting me GTA London when there was a tonne of controversy.

hjort

Nov 9, 2017
I watched Robocop at a friend's house and was especially shocked by the scene where ED-209 shoots up the guy in the boardroom. My friends who were there laughed at me when I looked away, and that kind of scarred me more than the scene itself, I think.

Soupbones

Oct 26, 2017
My parents took me and my brothers to see Poltergeist when we little - and even though that was rated PG, that shit should have been a HARD R!