McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
I'm not sure how to even approach this. Sony and Nintendo have a proven track record of crafting excellent exclusive experiences and working with third party developers to make an exclusive game. Microsoft's record isn't particularly good. Even so, the only way to even hazard a guess is knowing or suspecting when game releases are. Even if we assume the best from their newly acquired studios, will Ninja Theory and Obsidian release a game in the same year? Who knows.

Short answer is maybe one year during the next generation, but honestly? Probably not even that. It takes time to grow studios and establish yourself.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Really hard to say, because even if they do fantastic in a given year, they may be outshined by Sony or Nintendo anyway? Past ~2021 seems like when they can seriously start competing though.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
That's, uh...I don't know about that. Forza Horizon 2 and Sunset Overdrive were great, but the only other big XB1 exclusive that I can think of was the Master Chief Collection and its infamously-botched multiplayer. (It's finally a fully-functioning game in 2019, at least...)

I personally would give 2014 to the Wii U. Mario Kart 8, Hyrule Warriors, Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze, Bayonetta 2, Super Smash Bros. For...that was a hell of a lineup. It was arguably the one year where that console absolutely crushed it.
2014 was a weird year. The console with the worst lineup sold the most while the console with the best was in serious trouble.

Kinda goes against the whole "only exclusives sell consoles" narrative that is pushed so often here.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
I more excited for Ori than any other game on any platform. I only played Blind Forest for the first time last year as I hadn't owned an Xbox this gen before the X launched. Let's just say it blew me the fuck away!

Come to think of it, Ori is that one game I'm most excited to play this year. The first game is my favourite Metroidvania.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
Yes, well it's my favourite in my favourite genre. And that's saying something given how much I loved Axiom Verge and Hollow Knight too. I just need a release date already.

Hollow Knight is an incredible game. It was part of my top 10 last year - I've spent roughly 50 hours in this game.

I hope we get a release date for Ori soon, it needs to come out in the first half.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm sure Ori and the Will of Wisps will be an excellent game, but let's be real here, it's not going to be consensus GOTY, not in a year where we'll have had titles like Resident Evil 2, Kingdom Hearts 3, Sekiro, Nioh 2, Dreams, Gears 5, Metro Exodus, Pokemon, DOOM Eternal, Devil May Cry 5, and potentially the big one, The Last of Us 2.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Will it though? Nintendo also mucked up this gen and they recovered nicely with the Switch.

But it still made great games, Zelda, Mario, Pokemon, Smash etc, those games have built in audiences that fuel hype to the extreme.

Microsoft at the moment has Halo, Forza and Gears, which while doing good, especially so in Forza's case, are beginning to wear thin and aren't hitting the same high's they used to, again minus Forza to a certain extent

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It doesn't matter if you have new studios what matters is if those games create a narrative of hype like Zelda and Kratos did. If all these new studios put out low scoring games then nothing improved. Imagine if sony put out things like Drive Club and 1886 and Days Gone. No one cares about those.

What we care about are the Uncharteds, Last of Us, God of Wars, Blood Bornes, Horizons, and Spidermans level games. These get you the GOTY disccusions.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
I'm sure Ori and the Will of Wisps will be an excellent game, but let's be real here, it's not going to be consensus GOTY, not in a year where we'll have had titles like Resident Evil 2, Kingdom Hearts 3, Sekiro, Nioh 2, Dreams, Gears 5, Metro Exodus, Pokemon, DOOM Eternal, Devil May Cry 5, and potentially the big one, The Last of Us 2.

I don't see it winning consensus GOTY but it'll most likely be in a lot of top 10 lists. If the trailers are anything to go by, Will of the Wisps is going be another masterpiece from Moon Studios.

TheNAC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
It doesn't matter if you have new studios what matters is if those games create a narrative of hype like Zelda and Kratos did. If all these new studios put out low scoring games then nothing improved. Imagine if sony put out things like Drive Club and 1886 and Days Gone. No one cares about those.

What we care about are the Uncharteds, Last of Us, God of Wars, Blood Bornes, Horizons, and Spidermans level games. These get you the GOTY disccusions.

Nothing is a hit until it is. You're already listing Days Gone as a dud when it could be a 10.

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
Without knowing their release schedule or the projects that their newer teams are working on I'm not sure how I could answer this. I could throw out some fanboy wankery about how bad their potential line-up will be or how great it will be but we have close to nothing to go on. So I'll wait patiently and see what happens. I hope they kill it though because even though I didn't play any of their games this gen (aside from the KI free character on PC) more good games is always better than less good games.

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
"When" is irrelevant. All you can do is look for the "How" and how many they are done.

Deleted member 35598

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain
Before even anything has been shown? How can anyone have the faintest idea on what kind of games MS are working on? Acquisition of studios is the easy part, getting them to churn out a quality title is where the challenge lies. How many studios knock it out of the park in their first attempt? I would suggest caution and patience before making a claim like that.

Considering TLOU2 will drop in one of these years, I think it'll take all the accolades and limelight in that particular. Also, there is a small matter of a new IP by Kojima which is intriguing to say the least.

Of course we haven't seen anything. But Microsoft seems very focused for Next Gen and I expect big things from them. The Initiative seems to be a drean team of devs, so I trust then to deliver the goods. Playground games is probably working on a Open World Fable game. Looking the great they've done with Forza Horizon, I'm
curious to see what they'll do on an RPG.

I said 2021. I don't think TLOU 2 will come out that late. At worst it will be a launch cross gen PS5 title, so late 2020.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
I do think Halo Infinite, Fable and the new Ninja Theory game will be launch titles for the next Xbox. That could be a big thing, problem is Sony will probably have Horizon Zero Dawn 2 and port over The Last of Us 2.

I do think Xbox will have great years after that. Imagine that The Outer Worlds, The Bard's Tale IV, Wasteland 3, Pillars of Eternity 2 were all coming to Xbox exclusively this year. Fast forward to 2021/2022 with more budget and manpower, I can see Microsoft's Xbox becoming a very good console for everyone who likes western RPGs and shooter alike. And studios like Ninja Theory, Compulsion Games and Obisidan excel in narrative, too. There's always a chance Microsoft rediscovers some of Rare's past, too. It will be interesting to see what they do next.

Also, Halo and Gears trailers at E3 showed quite a different approach to the games than before. Narrative and world-building was more important.

They're on a good track but probably one or two years late.

Last edited:

Matty H

Oct 31, 2017
I don't even think they need a year like that. We'll wake up one day and hear news that more people are playing via Xbox than they are PlayStation or Nintendo and nobody will believe it, or they'll shrug it off as just meaningless casuals or tricky accounting. Microsoft will be happy though.