• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Was Cuphead as hard as a FromSoftware game for those of you who played it?

• Yes

Votes: 840 63.4%
  • No

Votes: 485 36.6%

• Total voters

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I also vote that Cuphead is way harder than From games, which pretty much any persistent person can complete given time.

With cuphead you get really high walls of difficulty.

Ohnooni

Oct 27, 2017
I'll never get why the difficulty in Souls games is such a big topic. They are very punishing and require more skill than the average action game, but the
games itself always present some loopholes to overcome any obstacle without relying on skill alone.
Grind souls/runes, cheese strats, switch to different (OP) builds, magic sniping, dupe/XP glitches, Co-Op and what not. All these things can make the game so much easier, not easy but less difficult.
Cuphead, on the other hand is just grueling hard without ever giving you any form of hope or silver lining. It really feels old school and sadistic in a charming way, so much that I was happily willing to bend over and over again just for the gorgeous aesthetic alone.

Voodoopeople

Oct 29, 2017
I was more than happy to support the devs but got absolutely nowhere with the game. I'd love it if they just shared cheap codes or something. Otherwise I'll never see any of the game.

Aug 14, 2020
I think they're two different types of difficulty. Cuphead, Returnal and Sifu are in one camp (you need good reactions, one true way to play the game, etc).

From games require more strategy and they're a lot more flexible in how you can approach situations. The difficulty from these often comes from working out the right approach and having the patience to perfect it.

But in answer to the question, I find From games harder than the others.

CerealKi11a

Chicken Chaser
May 3, 2018
Same here. I have a really hard time empathizing with the results so far. To me Cuphead is just so, so much more accessible than the average FromSoft game. But maybe it's because I just outright refuse to grind in games, and everyone keeps saying that the ability to do so is what makes Dark Souls games "easier" by comparison.

That's why I could beat Sekiro but not any of the Souls games. Grinding and accidentally disadvantageous builds were removed from the equation, so I could finally just tackle the game's many boss fights within the balanced parameters that the game designers set. It also helps that I just flat-out liked Sekiro more than their other games thanks to its snappier combat and Shinobi trappings.

But for my particular gaming skillset it's just the opposite, I guess. Pretty interesting how that works.
I'm in the same boat. Bounced off of two Souls games before beating and enjoying Sekiro. I did beat Elden Ring, and a key difference was that I constantly wondered if I was just not skilled enough or not a high enough level to beat a boss. Every single time it was the level.

It's a lot more straightforward to me in Cuphead and Sekiro. I just need to be patient and learn the patterns to a precise degree.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
From games aren't even hard. They maybe get a hard boss or two per game and even then they're only hard by modern standards. I haven't even played Cuphead and can say it's harder from what I've seen alone. Returnal was far harder than From games. They ain't all that as far as difficulty goes. If anything they're pretty easy because there's very little punishment for actually dying and you have control over what you may or may not lose.

Small Red Boy

▲ Legend ▲
May 9, 2019
It's way easier, at least from what I've played (left it at the train guy cuz I got bored). It's in 2D and u can clearly see the projectiles comming, there are straightforward fights (no ambusses etc.) and the attacks are easy to predict even on a first try.

Rubblatus

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Cuphead has a very satisfying difficulty curve that feels like a perfectly tuned Mega Man game. The game would be hard hard if it wasn't for how Cuphead is over-equipped to deal with all the bullshit the game throws at him, the telegraphs are mostly on point and give you enough information to commonly be able to intuit what's going to happen next, and everything on the player's side simply works consistently.

That, and most boss encounters being two minute fights with instant-retries takes a lot of the edge off of Cuphead's difficulty.

From Software games meanwhile have this heavy, front-loaded difficulty that then weaves back and forth with difficulty spikes that are functionally random. You'll breeze through two bosses, have trouble on one, and breeze through another three or four before getting snagged on another with a brutal segment through a prison in there somewhere that just destroys you.

I dunno. I can't say one game is harder than the other. Different skill sets and all. But I CAN say Cuphead has better quality difficulty than most From Software games I've played.

Oct 31, 2017
I'm not sure why are we even reading so many comments about the "different skillsets" involved. I don't feel like it's particularly true.

Every single skill you can leverage to progress in Cuphead (timing, precision, ability to read a boss' moveset) is useful to get by even in the entire line-up of the Souls games, except the latter are orders of magnitude more forgiving than the former in how much they allow you to screw up before sending you back at the starting point.

Not even close imo. It's challenging but I don't think I was ever hit a wall as bad as I have in some of the souls games.
I never even struggled particularly to complete any From Software game, and I'm far from considering myself a paragon of skill.
Sekiro was possibly the one that took most learning to beat the final boss, but even that was nothing that went anywhere near to the point of frustrating me.

Conversely, I went back to Cuphead three or four times at this point and I keep giving up before even gaining access to the final area.

Last edited:

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
Cuphead is much harder, but the bosses are well designed and have a competent progression, so replaying them you truly get better and learn more. I feel like a majority of the From Software bosses, you just kind of wait for a play through where the boss bugs out or you get a lucky hit etc.

On the eve of the long-awaited release of The Delicious Last Course, I've been reading through some threads here and elsewhere about the base game. Cuphead is no doubt one of the biggest indie-game success stories ever, and IMO its success has been wholly deserved. The two things that seem to always come up when pretty much anyone discusses Cuphead are its gorgeous art/animation and its challenge level.

Even the opening tutorial can trip up some players, as hard as that is to believe. ;)

Mannn, I was just thinking back on this video and was like, people were overly mean to this person for being so bad, they weren't THAT bad. Rewatching it however, it's truly pathetic and I don't understand it at all. My gf is not a super avid gamer and hates platformers, but barely struggled with the tutorial and managed to get through the first stage decently. I don't even think my dad would be this bad, I'm gonna put it to the test one day.

TGB86

Jan 27, 2021
Cuphead expects more from the player in terms of dexterity and reflexes. I imagine everyone that's played both Cuphead and a Souls game died much, much more often in the former, despite it being a much shorter game. But Cuphead can feel less frustrating due to how it treats defeat. Retries are not instantaneous the way they are in Celeste or Super Meat Boy, but they are very fast. You don't lose anything on death, and you're told exactly how far into the boss/level you made it, which provides a useful and satisfying way to chart your progress. The game feels like it's on your side, like it wants you to succeed but expects you to earn it.

Death happens a lot less frequently in Souls games, but is more frustrating. Save points can be sparse, so you can at times lose a lot of progress in terms of how deep into the area you've gotten (you can generally just sprint past enemies to get back to where you were, but that may not be immediately grasped by inexperienced players). There's the risk of losing quite a bit of XP. Rather than a cute graph showing your progression, you're instead treated with "YOU DIED" in giant lettering, as if the game is gloating over your defeat. And the games tend to be full of troll-y enemy placements, gank squads, and booby traps that either make you laugh or rage when they cause you to die. Cuphead is harder, but Souls feels more adversarial, and as a result I think it can be more frustrating to play (at least for unseasoned players).

BuryAllen

Oct 28, 2017
I had to learn to actually get gud to beat cuphead

I've only played elden ring and the bosses weren't hard because I didn't limit myself to not use the spirit or not level or not use OP items so everything got 1-2 shot

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Cuphead requires a level of twitchy reflexes that I was blessed with. FromSoft games require patience and careful strategy [unless you cheese it,] things I was not naturally blessed with.

Juryvicious

Oct 28, 2017
Harder. So yes.

Also, Cuphead is such a well designed game with incredibly, impeccably designed bosses, it would make any Souls based game blush with envy.
And no, this isn't hyperbole.

Doubly also, all this e-peen being tied to any and every single Souls game being this difficult journey, doesn't, and shouldn't, hold any sway or significance as Cuphead has mastered, yes, mastered difficulty settings and still produced an incredible difficult setting that wasn't watered down, or lessened the significance of the game due to it having a difficult setting. What a crock of shit that argument was, and continues to be.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ScOULaris

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
Cuphead requires a level of twitchy reflexes that I was blessed with. FromSoft games require patience and careful strategy [unless you cheese it,] things I was not naturally blessed with.
This post neatly describes my situation with these games. Cuphead's main skill requirement of dodging on-screen projectiles in 2D comes very naturally to me. Like, to the point where I don't even consider Cuphead to be a particularly challenging game compared to so many others.

The patience aspect of Souls design, on the other hand, is always at odds with what my monkey gamer brain wants to do.

Last edited:

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Most of Cuphead is a knowledge check, once you've memorized the bosses attacks and their tells the actual manual dexterity to dodge them isn't that high.
This is just flat-out not true. Cuphead requires very high precision and solid reflexes in addition to memorizing the patterns.

Imo not even close, Sekiro is all about understanding the rhythm of attacks and even then spamming parry is viable, in Cuphead you not only need to have perfect understanding of the bosses you also need to have perfect awareness of your surroundings not only because of Bullet Hell but also the bosses having patterns that might span over the entire screen
Agreed

Hoa

Jun 6, 2018
Cuphead was easier, but I usually play From games armorless and shieldless so that raises the difficulty there. Plus I'm just better at 2D games.

Neither are as hard as the games I normally play though, at least they don't require years of practice to get through (shmups, rhythm games).

SlayerSaint

Jan 6, 2019
Cuphead was way easier for me. My biggest issue with From games though is my lack of attention span for repeating entire sections when a boss kills me. Cuphead I got right back into the action and it was great.

Oscarzx n

May 24, 2018
Santiago, Chile
You dont have to re do shit again if you wanna fight a boss again In Cuphead, so it's like a million times easier in my book (talking about pre Sekiro games)

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Stop using FromSoft games as a benchmark for difficulty when the roguelike genre exists as an immensely deeper abyss of punishing game mechanics.

From games aren't even that hard.

Oct 31, 2017
You dont have to re do shit again if you wanna fight a boss again In Cuphead, so it's like a million times easier in my book (talking about pre Sekiro games)
You have to re-do basically all there's to do in the game when you die in Cuphead.

No matter how far ahead you were in a boss battle or a run and gun level, you'll have to repeat all from the beginning.
And as already pointed by many the skill bar to clear is way more demanding in Cuphead.

What a weird contrived argument to use.

Oscarzx n

May 24, 2018
Santiago, Chile
You have to re-do basically all there's to do in the game when you die in Cuphead.
If you die in Cuphead you re do the boss, they may be a little long but nothing too crazy, you don't have to re do one of the run and gun levels if you die or something like that, which is what happened in the pre Sekiro From games, you can't just re fight a boss inmediatly if you die.

Oscarzx n

May 24, 2018
Santiago, Chile

No matter how far ahead you were in a boss battle or a run and gun level, you'll have to repeat all from the beginning.
And as already pointed by many the skill bar to clear is way more demanding in Cuphead.

Plus even if that's the case, I just find really exhausting re doing stuff before bosses on From games, or at least the one I played, bosses on Cuphead may be harder and longer I guess but re trying inmediatly makes the learning process easy and the penalty minimum, if you die agains a boss in a From game you can't do any of that and that makes it waaay harder for me, if you don't agree with that cool, I don't care.

Oct 31, 2017
Case in point: for the love of the good old "Show, don't tell", this is an old video of me finally beating the final boss of Sekiro (SPOILER, I guess?) after a bunch of attempts:

This was the first time I did it and it's a rather clumsy attempt where I made mistakes in spades all over the fight, which contributed to drag it in length more than necessarily (you'll easily find videos of people way more skillful than I was, dispatching this guy under the two minutes mark).

If this was Cuphead, I'd be sent back to the starting point a million time, since I'd be allowed to be hit or to fumble A LOT less.
There are STARTING BOSSESS in Cuphead that are less forgiving of a player mistake than the "notoriously difficult Isshin" shown in this clip.

Last edited:

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
Cuphead has a baseline that's far more demanding than any Souls games, but they occasionally spike over that, and for me that max struggle is what really defines difficulty. To be specific, I've been stuck several hours on some bosses in Dark Souls, BB, Sekiro and Elden Ring, but I don't think we were ever stuck even close to an hour in Cuphead.

(Cuphead was in coop, Souls always solo)

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
As long as I've sufficiently leveled up my health From games tend to let me get away with more mistakes, I'm error prone even if I have a enemy pattern down but I can often get away chug an estus and stay in the fight. And these games tend to let you build up a good stock of healing items by the end. Yes there are some exceptions to that with certain bosses OP attacks but largely that's how it feels.

Games like Cuphead with thier limited hit points tend to feel harsher. Old school platformers with often even more limited hit points where always a major challenge to me, I didn't beat many.

Sinah

Jun 2, 2022
Well i gave up after more then an hour trying to beat the first boss.
Never really had this much trouble in From soft games not even in Sekiro which i consider the hardest game i've ever beaten

Vormund

Oct 27, 2017
I like hard games, but I FUCKING LOATHE the difficulty in Cuphead. And it mainly stems from the art design that is attractive to kids. My kids wanted to try it and at worst they can watch me. But it is way too hard for what it is. It really needs a proper, not gimped easier mode.

At least From games even by their appearance you know what you are up for.

Last edited:

Tandemo

Oct 28, 2017
Cupheads difficulty is so frustrating

To the point where I'd love to pick up the dlc but if I can't actually finish the base game there's no point.

Just make a dang super easy mode, I'm too old for this shit 😅

wellpapp

Aug 21, 2018
Gothenburg
Last boss of Sekiro remains unbeaten for me, but I've finished Cuphead on regular. I'll never beat you, Sword Saint. King Dice was a frustrating nightmare though. As others pointed out and I agree with, it's more that Cuphead requires twitchy reflexes and it being a flat 2D platformer that makes the difference. I cheese through 50-75% of From's bosses (it feels like) with plain old str/dex builds. Nothing fancy.

Last edited:

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
I've returned to Cuphead and it's even harder than I remember, in 2020 when I played it first I A Rank'd all the hard bosses(not all, didn't have much time) like Dr Kahl and the Devil and King Dice, now... I'm getting destroyed even in the first 2 isles lmao

OP
OP
ScOULaris

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
After hopping back into Cuphead for the first time in years to play the DLC last night, I'm even more confused by the responses in this thread. Even as rusty as I am I'm still steamrolling every new boss, with only the hardest of them taking me upwards of 5-6 tries. Even in that scenario that amounts to like, what? 15-20 minutes at worst to beat the hardest ones?

How anyone in here can claim to struggle with any of the early-game Cuphead bosses while also having beaten the likes of Orphan of Kos utterly confounds me. I don't see how that's remotely possible.

There's something very interesting happening here with Cuphead's design I think. Either that or my experience with shmups makes Cuphead significantly easier to me than most people. Because the hardest FromSoft bosses are SOOOOO much more punishing and demanding to me than anything in Cuphead. Most of them take like 20 hits or more to kill while being capable of one- or two-shotting you in the blink of an eye, and each attempt takes much longer than a Cuphead boss as well.

Oct 27, 2017
Depends on the From game.

I've finished From games but I ultimately rely on the ability to either summon help or grind in order to do so.

I would compare Cuphead to Sekiro, neither of which enable any sense of grinding or being able to quickly draft in experienced help. Those are two games that I'd just never be able to beat on my own steam.

Zimmiwood

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
There's something very interesting happening here with Cuphead's design I think. Either that or my experience with shmups makes Cuphead significantly easier to me than most people.
i mean that's really been the big takeaway in this thread, people with backgrounds in schumps genearlly having a much easier time with cuphead

Oct 31, 2017
After hopping back into Cuphead for the first time in years to play the DLC last night, I'm even more confused by the responses in this thread. Even as rusty as I am I'm still steamrolling every new boss, with only the hardest of them taking me upwards of 5-6 tries. Even in that scenario that amounts to like, what? 15-20 minutes at worst to beat the hardest ones?

How anyone in here can claim to struggle with any of the early-game Cuphead bosses while also having beaten the likes of Orphan of Kos utterly confounds me. I don't see how that's remotely possible.
Yeah, you are somehow very good at Cuphead. Congratulations.

it doesn't change a thing. Any skill that can be leveraged to be good at Cuphead gives you an edge in the "Souls games" as well and the latter are far less demanding/punishing than the former.
I can have the pattern of a Cuphead boss down to a T but I need just to be hit THREE paltry times across the entire battle (five with a specifically dedicated upgrade) to be send back to the menu.

I can go through an average Souls boss fumbling and stumbling like a mad man for entire minutes and as long as the mistakes aren't back-to-back in the span of few seconds and I don't get entirely nuked, I can keep chugging down healing items and stay into the battle.

TGB86

Jan 27, 2021
Because the hardest FromSoft bosses are SOOOOO much more punishing and demanding to me than anything in Cuphead. Most of them take like 20 hits or more to kill while being capable of one- or two-shotting you in the blink of an eye, and each attempt takes much longer than a Cuphead boss as well.

Kind of sounds like you're playing under-leveled or with poor build optimization. Bosses shouldn't be one shotting you.