apocat

Oct 27, 2017
This feels like the sequel to the Scorsese, Coppola and Loach trilogy. And even here there are some people cheering Disney on.

It's baffling.

Oct 31, 2017
Hulu Is the thought.

Not all of them, methinks. Blue Sky, Anastasia, Home Alone, Alvin and the Chipmunks, Avatar, etc will go to Disney+. Aliens, Die Hard, Predator, 28 Weeks Later, Fly etc will go to Hulu.

The most important question though is where will Planet of The Apes go? And will I get a PoTA TV show about Bad Ape? And a sequel trilogy helmed by Matt Reeves?

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Well, I'm glad I caught Alien on the big screen . . .

Seriously, if a theater wants to put on a special showing of a film, Disney should let them.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
You really think they blindly acquired fox without having a plan in place?

Yes-ish.
I think they just wanted content to add to their streaming service and prevent anyone else from getting it. There seems to be a lot of behind the scenes conflict going on that makes me think they didn't have an in depth plan for most of Fox's stuff, just the stuff that fit best with their brands (Marvel/Nat Geo) or is huge enough they needed to find something to do with it (Simpsons). They'll dig deeper in the coming years but I don't get the sense they fully looked at how to integrate in anything other than broad strokes.

Not all of them, methinks. Blue Sky, Anastasia, Home Alone, Alvin and the Chipmunks, Avatar, etc will go to Disney+. Aliens, Die Hard, Predator, 28 Weeks Later, Fly etc will go to Hulu.

The most important question though is where will Planet of The Apes go? And will I get a PoTA TV show about Bad Ape? And a sequel trilogy helmed by Matt Reeves?

If they do make more POTA films, I think it'll pop onto + for more visibility. I don't think they're significantly more violent than POTC or Star Wars/Marvel films are, and genre wise they fit Disney branding ok.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Incredibly selfish and misguided.
They're just movies, man. You can watch them at home. Especially now when the internet records and offers everything that ever existed in media. It just doesn't really matter. A lot of you are acting like they're enslaving populations and murdering children. It's just entertainment.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Stupid, if I go to the cinema to watch some old film it is because I want the cinema experience. Offering it streaming isn't gonna make me sub instead, chances are I own the film on DVD or Blu Ray already anyway for home viewing.

KingM

Oct 28, 2017
Of course.

You don't need to watch these old movies at local run-down theater that can barely afford to pay for a cleaning staff. Buy one of the million of DVDs out there sitting at bargain bins if you really want to.
Seeing a film in the format it was intended to be seen is a treat. Some of my favorite experiences in theaters is going to a packed showing of stuff like The Exorcist and Alien near Halloween or seeing The Lord of The Rings in a theater again. Not to mention stuff I wasn't even around to see like Lawrence of Arabia and The Godfather when they first ran in theaters. It has always been a great experience put on by staff who want to keep the appreciation for these older films going. Even on my 70inch 4k UHD TV I can't get the majestic feeling the theater provides.

Dabanton

Oct 27, 2017
Seeing old films I never got the chance to see at a cinema has been a revelation. To see Disney throwing their weight around is disgusting but expected.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
They're just movies, man. You can watch them at home. Especially now when the internet records and offers everything that ever existed in media. It just doesn't really matter. A lot of you are acting like they're enslaving populations and murdering children. It's just entertainment.

And you've completely missed the point.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Are you kidding? Where do you think brand loyalty comes into play? People were flipping their shit going nuts about Disney acquiring fox just so they could see Deadpool saying naughty words in the mcu. They actually think the acquisition of these characters was the driving force behind acquiring fox. So yes fanboys fiercely protecting Disney and it's gross practices is being driven heavily behind their love of Disney IPs and their image- star wars, MCU, the mouse himself.

Check the threads on this very forum on when Amazon or Google do something along these lines vs. when Disney does it. It's amazing how many Disney defenders come in to explain why what Disney is doing is fine.

Again, beyond message board shitslinging.

Are people actually going to try to do something about this? Call their representatives to do something about media monopolization? Vote for people like Sanders and Warren that have explicitly said they want to break up conglomerates like Disney? Or is every thread about this topic going to have the same dumb ass posts where the same keyboard warriors can repeat the same dumb ass point about the X-Men?

Apr 4, 2019
Greater Toronto Area
I personally don't think Disney knows what to do with most of what it got from Fox. Planet Of The Apes and Avatar, two franchises they've specifically said they're excited about continuing, aren't in the + line-up.

I'm not not concerned, but I feel like they're just shifting all their policy to reflect what they had for their original films, without realising the consequences. At some point they'll realise "The Omen" is not "Cinderella" and adjust, I would hope. I'd imagine there are important film fans in Hollywood itself that would complain to Disney once this impacted them.

(I'm someone who suspects over time Disney will sell off a good chunk of Fox properties they can't make bank with, though)

They had a clear plan when buying Fox. It was all about making sure these films, TV shows, and IP would be exclusive to Disney+ and Hulu. Disney wants to enter the streaming wars with the biggest push ever seen. The theater stuff and closing down two Fox studios are the sacrifices Disney is willing to take to ensure the Fox purchase reaches profitability as quick as possible.

nachum00

Oct 26, 2017
They had a clear plan when buying Fox. It was all about making sure these films, TV shows, and IP would be exclusive to Disney+ and Hulu. Disney wants to enter the streaming wars with the biggest push ever seen. The theater stuff and closing down two Fox studios are the sacrifices Disney is willing to take to ensure the Fox purchase reaches profitability as quick as possible.
Nah this has absolutely zero to do with streaming. This stuff with the theatres is something Disney has been doing with their movies for a long time, now it just extends to everything from Fox.

Oct 31, 2017
If they do make more POTA films, I think it'll pop onto + for more visibility. I don't think they're significantly more violent than POTC or Star Wars/Marvel films are, and genre wise they fit Disney branding ok.

Future Apes movies were confirmed by Emma Watts earlier this year IIRC.

I heard they sacrifice babies every Sunday. They then bury them where Walt is buried in PoTC ride at Disneyland. Heard they started doing something similar at WDW, but I can't confirm.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
That's a shame, Alien & Aliens are better than any Disney movie by a mile & people deserve to see them on a big screen at least once.

JABEE

Oct 25, 2017
Watching movies in theaters is a cool thing to do. This is bad for that communal experience.

Froyo Love

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
maybe Disney should stop acting shitty since lol it doesn't matter who cares?

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
Again, beyond message board shitslinging.

Are people actually going to try to do something about this? Call their representatives to do something about media monopolization? Vote for people like Sanders and Warren that have explicitly said they want to break up conglomerates like Disney? Or is every thread about this topic going to have the same dumb ass posts where the same keyboard warriors can repeat the same dumb ass point about the X-Men?

I think most of us talking about it are voting for sanders or warren. The point of posting here is to try to get people to understand WHY disney is wrong here. It won't make a difference I understand that, but I've seen some normally intelligent people on this very message board say disney is clean they've done nothing wrong.

Speaking to the message board shitslinging my point wasn't about just message boards. The brand loyalty speaks volumes about the sheer amount of people who either don't give a shit or come rapidly to defend disney at every turn. The point is they've built up an unbelievable following which isn't just looking the other way, it's actively doing PR for them. This is the voting public, the vast majority of people feel this way about disney it seems.

Dyno

AVALANCHE
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
No. This is just Disney's policy with all their movies, now it just includes everything from Fox as well.

It has absolutely nothing to do with Disney+.

It is? I just cant really make any sense of it from a business point of view. The article itself is what mentioned the disney+ bit. The other theory of just holding more screens for new movies doesnt really make much sense either though, as that only translates to more sales if you're already selling every seat of every showing.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
even here there are some people cheering Disney on.

giphy.gif

May 24, 2019

Did you miss the quotes from rep theater people saying without Fox movies they'd have to close?

Last edited:

nachum00

Oct 26, 2017
It is? I just cant really make any sense of it from a business point of view. The article itself is what mentioned the disney+ bit. The other theory of just holding more screens for new movies doesnt really make much sense either though, as that only translates to more sales if you're already selling every seat of every showing.

Yes
Fox, and the movies in its storied library of motion pictures, is now part of Walt Disney Co., which has long placed tight restrictions on when and how cinemas can screen its older titles. Disney's long-standing policy is to not allow first-run theaters or commercial discount cinemas to screen movies from its library, whether it's an animated classic such as "Lady and the Tramp" or a more adult-oriented film such as "The Sixth Sense."

That policy now will apply to Fox's vast catalog, according to exhibition sources who were not authorized to comment.
https://www.latimes.com/entertainme...ill-disney-let-theaters-screen-old-fox-movies

Disney has just always been extremely controlling of their IPs.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
I realised today Disney own the Rocky Horror Picture Show now, and was incredibly bummed out.