Oct 31, 2017

This list is bizarre. What is the metric that they are using? It's not revenue, profits, assets, or market value. Is it an algorithm of sorts from Forbes? Even then I have to ask why AAPL is 6, MSFT 16, GOOG 17, and AMZN 28.

Aside from being the 70th biggest company in the world, as already mentioned, I also can't find any other purely entertainment oriented companies ahead of Disney on the list above. So unless I'm missing one, I guess they're the biggest entertainment company in the world.

Warner is owned by AT&T which is larger than Disney by all relevant metrics, i.e. market cap, EV, revenue, and profit. I guess you can make an argument that they are a lot more diversified than Disney due to their telecom business, but I would still say from an objective measure they are the biggest entertainment company in the world.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
This sounds like Disney is being hella fucking sloppy with the new catalogue of franchises they acquired.

I dunno if this is being done on purpose, or if this is logistics idiocy, but either way, it's a pretty horrible look.

If I look past my cynicisn, though, couldn't it be possible that they're just trying to figure out how to go forward with the Fox catalogue now, and how it can and will mesh with streaming before figuring out Cinema distribution? How are Touchstone film rereleases being handled, for example?

From what I can tell, all the Vaulting bullshit Disney pulls has mostly been related to their animated features, no?

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I wonder what is going to happen to licencing of Fox films to boutique labels like Arrow and Criterion?

Just looking at my blu-ray shelf I can see Fox titles licenced to Arrow (My Darling Clementine, Big Trouble in Little China, Inferno, Zardoz), Eureka (Fixed Bayonets!, Forty Guns, Pickup on South Street)) and Indicator (Little Murders).

I wonder if releases like these will start going out-of-print soon?

This is what I'm most worried about... time to get to fixing my FOX backlog when it comes to Eureka and Arrow releases.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
It's weird. For these older titles you'd actually think regular availability through small chains would keep the franchise alive in people's minds - may actually increase Disney+ subscriptions

Oct 25, 2017
No way 70th you say ? Maybe don't frame your argument like Disney runs the world. This thread is very definition of outrage culture without using common sense. This is obviously just rights / license issues that are being worked out.

Disney doesn't run the world, but being one of the 70 biggest company gives them pull. Companies much smaller than Disney have done more for their employees, so what is Disney's excuse?

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
NO PUNISHMENT is too great for this violent assault on our cultural inheritance! Has anyone looked into the possibility of capital punishment for these vandals?

tenor.gif

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Just read the article, this shit is abhorrent. Fuck Disney.

From what I can tell, all the Vaulting bullshit Disney pulls has mostly been related to their animated features, no?
Pretty sure the Vaulting bullshit is for their entire catalogue. It just so happens that nobody ever wants to see the awful live action Disney films from before they bought up a few companies and actually started to make worthwhile live action films, so it's not as noticeable.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Just read the article, this shit is abhorrent. Fuck Disney.

Pretty sure the Vaulting bullshit is for their entire catalogue. It just so happens that nobody ever wants to see the awful live action Disney films from before they bought up a few companies and actually started to make worthwhile live action films, so it's not as noticeable.

But that would also include Touchstone films, and I don't think any of those were vaulted? I guess I'm just trying to be positive before panicking and getting my pitchfork. This shit goddamn sucks, and I can't believe it never dawned on me. Mostly because of what you said, but also because I never noticed Disney doing that with their other studios.

Last edited:

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
But that would also include Touchstone films, and I don't think any of those were vaulted? I guess I'm just trying to be positive before panicking and getting my pitchfork. This shit goddamn sucks, and I can't believe it never dawned on me. Mostly because of what you said, but also because I never noticed Disney doing that with their other studios.
I don't know about Touchstone movies being vaulted, but I don't think Disney ever actually treated Touchstone Pictures as a true part of the Disney catalogue and it still doesn't really. For instance, even though Touchstone was basically just a pseudonym for Disney and it has a few super popular PG-13 and under films, there are currently zero Touchstone Pictures films launching on Disney+ (incidentally, also no Straight Story by Lynch). You would think that especially with Disney+ launching around the Holiday period, you would think that The Nightmare Before Christmas would be a no-brainer, but here we are.

They seem to treat FOX overall way different than other Disney subsidiaries in the past. They're very aggressively inserting themselves into the production and distribution pipeline at Fox. I know a guy who works at FX and he at one point said that the only reason FX hasn't really been touched is because they're kind of their own thing even within FOX.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I don't know about Touchstone movies being vaulted, but I don't think Disney ever actually treated Touchstone Pictures as a true part of the Disney catalogue and it still doesn't really. For instance, even though Touchstone was basically just a pseudonym for Disney and it has a few super popular PG-13 and under films, there are currently zero Touchstone Pictures films launching on Disney+ (incidentally, also no Straight Story by Lynch). You would think that especially with Disney+ launching around the Holiday period, you would think that The Nightmare Before Christmas would be a no-brainer, but here we are.

They seem to treat FOX overall way different than other Disney subsidiaries in the past. They're very aggressively inserting themselves into the production and distribution pipeline at Fox. I know a guy who works at FX and he at one point said that the only reason FX hasn't really been touched is because they're kind of their own thing even within FOX.

See, that's what I was hoping for Fox. That they'd just keep pushing their stuff like they do Touchstone. I guess Fox is getting different treatment, because they want their franchise Money and will eventually treat them like Star Wars. It's just disappointing to see that they'll likely be picking the cherries out of Fox and throw the rest to the wayside.

I hope it's not that way, and they're just trying to figure out how to place Fox movies. I hate what they do to theatres with this shit.

Not sure if Comcast would have been any better, but it sucks regardless.

BlinkBlank

Oct 27, 2017
The streaming era kind of sucks for classic movie fans - the Criterion Channel helps, but still. And I have zero confidence Disney cares enough to make their classics available that way, outside the obvious moneymakers.
yeah man. I am totally for digital for ease, but there are just some movies or TV that I want in a physical format so that I can keep it forever.

For example, Fox stopped releasing Its Always Sunny on BluRay, and only on DVD now. What the hell? If this is a show that I always want to watch on a regularly basis, it sucks having to subscribe to Hulu to watch, especially if it is just for that show. And if you get the cheap plan with ads, it is unbearable to watch.

I am all for options, but I am really against intentionally tanking physical formats with hooking the general public with cheap subs at first, and then jacking subscription prices up along with the number of services you need to subscribe to if you want to be able to watch a handful of shows on different platforms. At least I have on DVD with

Froyo Love

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
No way 70th you say ? Maybe don't frame your argument like Disney runs the world. This thread is very definition of outrage culture without using common sense. This is obviously just rights / license issues that are being worked out.
so to review, your position is that a company has to actually run the world before they have an obligation to pay non-shit wages​

Froyo Love

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
maybe read the OG post I quoted and you won't be confused
Okay, sure. Let's review the whole exchange:

Imaging stanning for Disney. A company who pays their theme park workers less than a living wage while their CEO is rolling in money.

The Happiest Place on Earth
what stupid post considering nearly every company pays their employees shit wages
And Disney, being one of the largest companies in the world, should be responsible for leading the charge to fix this. It's not complicated.
they really aren't though lmao
The 70th biggest company is pretty big.
I think it's pretty obvious that you're snap-replying to every post in the sequence without any larger argument or even remembering your own post content. You replied to someone mocking stanning for an exploitive company like Disney by stanning for Disney with a lazy whatabouttist justification. When you were called out on being obviously wrong about the size of Disney as a company, you shifted the goalposts to literally saying that Disney would have to run the world for you to accept the "framing" that as a large company they have some social responsibility. You are an outrage poster who is more interested in retorts than common sense.

Mar 9, 2019
Okay, sure. Let's review the whole exchange:

I think it's pretty obvious that you're snap-replying to every post in the sequence without any larger argument or even remembering your own post content. You replied to someone mocking stanning for an exploitive company like Disney by stanning for Disney with a lazy whatabouttist justification. When you were called out on being obviously wrong about the size of Disney as a company, you shifted the goalposts to literally saying that Disney would have to run the world for you to accept the "framing" that as a large company they have some social responsibility. You are an outrage poster who is more interested in retorts than common sense.
Wrong about the size ? In what fucking world does 70th by some unknown metric on Forbes make them one of the largest ? They're no where near the top or even anywhere as big as time warner

Outage poster with no common sense ? Lmao that's literally this whole thread of screaming fuck disney , fuck Iger and pay your employees when this is nothing but a rights / license issue over old catalogs And until proven otherwise I will reserve judgment like a normal fucking person

¡Hip Hop!

Nov 9, 2017
A lot of those Fox films will never end up on Disney+. Pretty sure they said nothing gets on there if it's R-rated. At best, those movies/shows go to Hulu.

It really does suck that Disney owns so much of Hollywood.

Oct 25, 2017
Wrong about the size ? In what fucking world does 70th by some unknown metric on Forbes make them one of the largest ? They're no where near the top or even anywhere as big as time warner

Outage poster with no common sense ? Lmao that's literally this whole thread of screaming fuck disney , fuck Iger and pay your employees when this is nothing but a rights / license issue over old catalogs And until proven otherwise I will reserve judgment like a normal fucking person
how does that boot taste?

Oct 25, 2017

woof

you okay? lol

Critch

Banned
Dec 10, 2017

Unlike the rest of Fox's back catalog that only gets into theatres through things like Fathom events, and will be even easier to access through Disney+, Rocky Horror brings in shitloads of money every single week, almost fifty years after its release. Along with that, its fanbase is incredibly devoted and would very vocally fight back.

HomokHarcos

Jul 11, 2018
Canada
I went to a film noir festival in Detroit and the host of the event worried that Disney wouldn't care about those old movies and stop showing them.

Barahir_mjh

Feb 18, 2018
yeah man. I am totally for digital for ease, but there are just some movies or TV that I want in a physical format so that I can keep it forever.

For example, Fox stopped releasing Its Always Sunny on BluRay, and only on DVD now. What the hell? If this is a show that I always want to watch on a regularly basis, it sucks having to subscribe to Hulu to watch, especially if it is just for that show. And if you get the cheap plan with ads, it is unbearable to watch.

I am all for options, but I am really against intentionally tanking physical formats with hooking the general public with cheap subs at first, and then jacking subscription prices up along with the number of services you need to subscribe to if you want to be able to watch a handful of shows on different platforms. At least I have on DVD with
I kinda miss the Netflix DVD service. You could watch almost any movie with it if you waited 2 or 3 days, and with extras. But the selection and service time steadily went downhill; I think Netflix just wants to quietly just kill it off by making people leave. I held out on my subscription longer than most people but finally cancelled as its quality declined.