Status
Not open for further replies.

adam387

Nov 27, 2017
Dewine should have attempted to cancel the fucking thing Friday. Or Saturday. Or Sunday.
Why he waited until literally the last minute makes zero sense.

Edit: Apparently, there's another case about delaying that might go to the Ohio Supreme Court tonight.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
I'm curious if this is going to be more Katrina or more 9/11 for Trump.

With Katrina, the poor Federal response and the poor optics from the Bush administration absolutely destroyed his approval rating and never really recovered.

Whereas with 9/11, the Bush administration missed early warning signs but ultimately the country rallied behind him and he came out of it with a huge amount of political capital.

It definitely seemed COVID-19 was heading the way of Katrina for Trump. However if this outbreak begins to be perceived as unavoidable and you have a ton of other countries screwing up too, Trump might actually be able to escape a lot of the blame. I wonder if it's that thinking which caused him to have a change of tone today. If he can act more "Presidential" and somber, a good chunk of the public may forget it was this administration's f*ck ups that caused this virus to spread to every state within a couple of a weeks with no real visibility of how many people have it.

Then again, if we do start seeing a lot of people dying even in red states and people get kicked out of their house/apartment because they can't make mortgage/rent, and there are mass layoffs, then people are going to want someone to blame, not rally behind.

It's just not obvious how this whole thing plays out.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017

With Katrina, the poor Federal response and the poor optics from the Bush administration absolutely destroyed his approval rating and never really recovered.

Whereas with 9/11, the Bush administration missed early warning signs but ultimately the country rallied behind him and he came out of it with a huge amount of political capital.

It definitely seemed COVID-19 was heading the way of Katrina for Trump. However if this outbreak begins to be perceived as unavoidable and you have a ton of other countries screwing up too, Trump might actually be able to escape a lot of the blame. I wonder if it's that thinking which caused him to have a change of tone today. If he can act more "Presidential" and somber, a good chunk of the public may forget it was this administration's f*ck ups that caused this virus to spread to every state within a couple of a weeks with no real visibility of how many people have it.

Then again, if we do start seeing a lot of people dying even in red states and people get kicked out of their house/apartment because they can't make mortgage/rent, and there are mass layoffs, then people are going to want someone to blame, not rally behind.

The fact that you think Trump will be able to remain somber for more than 24 hours lol

Deleted member 283

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Ohio sounds like a complete mess right now. There's just going to be mass confusion as a result of this of whether people can vote or not, if the primary's delayed or if it's tomorrow, and even if people themselves keep on top of it and actually know the answers (which many won't) there's the matter of poll workers actually being able to get things ready due to they themselves getting mixed signals which almost certainly will result in delays and the like even if it does go ahead and people try to vote. Just a complete mess all around. And that all comes down to Dewine waiting so long to try this. The intent was good for once, trying to minimize the spread of the virus, but waiting this long just made a complete mess of it.

Like stuff like this is just pure irresponsible. Dewine did not announce that. He announced that's what he would like, that's what he wants to happen and is trying to make happen, but it was in no way official. Firing off an e-mail like that like it was a done-deal with he himself admitted he didn't have the authority to actually do so... Just a huge mess.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis

Eh, I think no matter what happens the economy crashing is lethal for Trump. It was the only thing keeping him in the game.

I know anyone who follows politics at all around here hates this, but Bush at least appeared presidential. When 9/11 happened, he didn't go out and say stupid shit, and complain about the stock market and fake news, his administration gave all the appearances of career professionals rolling up their sleeves and answering the call. He got the benefit of the doubt from the American people because they kind of already trusted him to handle something like this.

Trump came into office a disgusting maggot and held a net positive approval rating for like three days. Everyone's opinion of him is pretty much baked in at this point, and if all he can do is get some of those "well, I hate him, but at least my 401k is good" voters to stick it out with him, that's not enough.

Grexeno

Sorry for your ineptitude
Oct 25, 2017
There's just no way it's going to be feasible to do anything other than mail voting after tomorrow. It's already not really feasible tomorrow anyway.

Deleted member 283

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's just no way it's going to be feasible to do anything other than mail voting after tomorrow. It's already not really feasible tomorrow anyway.
All I'm going to say on that particular point is there is one person, that there's one person in particular who can doing something very simple, something that that person has to inevitably do anyway at some point or another and could just decide to do that something earlier rather than later to make this all irrelevant and so people can stay at home and all this becomes entirely beside the point (local and special elections aside, of course).

The question is, will that person actually do so or not...

IggyChooChoo

Oct 25, 2017

This is a good question. It is certainly true that community spread and a whole lot of death was unavoidable whatever the administration or even the health system. That said, Trump waited sooo long to reset expectations that it's going to be extremely hard to come back from that reversal. And we have yet to even glimpse the full health and economic impacts. In the context of a recession, I think the persuadable public will not give him the benefit of the doubt.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
This is a good question. It is certainly true that community spread and a whole lot of death was unavoidable whatever the administration or even the health system. That said, Trump waited sooo long to reset expectations that it's going to be extremely hard to come back from that reversal. And we have yet to even glimpse the full health and economic impacts. In the context of a recession, I think the persuadable public will not give him the benefit of the doubt.
I'll worry about that later. People hold leaders responsible for this shit even when they did their best.

But the questions as to why he gutted our ability to prepare for something like this won't go away. Especially not when South Korea have done so well (no new deaths today). They were ready.

We weren't. Lessons from previous years weren't just not learned, they were UNDONE.

Even if Trump could keep his shit together for more than two hours, I don't think I'd waste any mental health worrying about that right now.

Oct 26, 2017
I know anyone who follows politics at all around here hates this, but Bush at least appeared presidential. When 9/11 happened, he didn't go out and say stupid shit, and complain about the stock market and fake news, his administration gave all the appearances of career professionals rolling up their sleeves and answering the call. He got the benefit of the doubt from the American people because they kind of already trusted him to handle something like this.

Trump came into office a disgusting maggot and held a net positive approval rating for like three days. Everyone's opinion of him is pretty much baked in at this point, and if all he can do is get some of those "well, I hate him, but at least my 401k is good" voters to stick it out with him, that's not enough.

Totally true on the difference Bush handled the situation.

I just think we're far more polarized and you got a whole media arm Fox news and satellite conservative media outlets acting as near propaganda outlets for Trump. All those bad things you mentioned about Trump, about 40% of the country never hears them. That's why until about 72 hours ago, you still had people on Fox News and Republican officials trying to spin a cot dam outbreak as a nothing-burger.

Bush never would have survived what Trump got impeached for. So I just think the bar has lowered significantly from 20 years ago and conservative media will grasp at any straws to maintain an alternate reality for 40% of people. Like I said, job loss and losing your home has a way of the Real World breaking through but I've just been amazed over the last 3 years what Trump has been able to survive with his approval rating never leaving the range of 38-44%

adam387

Nov 27, 2017
One thing I have always learned, vote the first day of early voting. Because you never know when shit will hit the fan. That way, if you end up not being able to make it on day one...you have a bunch of other days in there. Although, I get it's not always accessible for folks.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Ohio sounds like a complete mess right now. There's just going to be mass confusion as a result of this of whether people can vote or not, if the primary's delayed or if it's tomorrow, and even if people themselves keep on top of it and actually know the answers (which many won't) there's the matter of poll workers actually being able to get things ready due to they themselves getting mixed signals which almost certainly will result in delays and the like even if it does go ahead and people try to vote. Just a complete mess all around. And that all comes down to Dewine waiting so long to try this. The intent was good for once, trying to minimize the spread of the virus, but waiting this long just made a complete mess of it.

Like stuff like this is just pure irresponsible. Dewine did not announce that. He announced that's what he would like, that's what he wants to happen and is trying to make happen, but it was in no way official. Firing off an e-mail like that like it was a done-deal with he himself admitted he didn't have the authority to actually do so... Just a huge mess.

Like I've been saying all day though, Dewine's announcement itself was irresponsible. Yeah, people come back and say" it was clear in the announcement he didn't have authority and was just a recommendation" but that isn't how it was reported. They didn't do anything to set the record straight once the press ran with the 'Ohio delays election' story. I watched a whole interview with Dewine a couple of hours ago on CNN and, despite being aware of this confusion going in, I still left the interview having no clue whether they were holding elections. After that I heard it was officially canceled but then comes this which says they are back on...

Even still at this moment I feel there isn't a clear answer

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017
This bill is sailing through compared to the bailout, the first iteration of which actually failed - in my memory the only vote Pelosi ever lost. The first TARP vote failed and caused the market to plunge.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
One thing I have always learned, vote the first day of early voting. Because you never know when shit will hit the fan. That way, if you end up not being able to make it on day one...you have a bunch of other days in there. Although, I get it's not always accessible for folks.
Vote by mail. CA makes it so easy (and we finally have automatic registration).

And you don't have to worry about it. Send it in the month before. The week before. The day before. Drop it off anywhere you want or get it to the post office on the day of.

I have no idea what people are thinking going to a polling place these days.

adam387

Nov 27, 2017
Vote by mail. CA makes it so easy (and we finally have automatic registration).

And you don't have to worry about it. Send it in the month before. The week before. The day before. Drop it off anywhere you want or get it to the post office on the day of.

I have no idea what people are thinking going to a polling place these days.
We do vote by mail mostly. In 2016, I wanted to vote in person for Hillary. It meant a lot to me for some reason. But, this primary, we voted via mail. Probably will do the same for the General. I still hate that they don't pay postage on mail ballots. It's a tiny little poll tax.

Oct 25, 2017
We do vote by mail mostly. In 2016, I wanted to vote in person for Hillary. It meant a lot to me for some reason. But, this primary, we voted via mail. Probably will do the same for the General. I still hate that they don't pay postage on mail ballots. It's a tiny little poll tax.
CA started paying for them in 2018 after a lot of complaints.

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
1. Ohio's primary results should be invalid. This is a complete disaster.

2. The US government needs to start sending people money immediately so they can get through this time. So many are out of work and so many are going to lose jobs as a result.

Oct 26, 2017
So it looks like under the cover of the coronavirus the DoJ is dropping a legacy Mueller case against the Russian firm responsible for financing parts of the 2016 election interference.

I'm just shocked at the news.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
So it looks like under the cover of the coronavirus the DoJ is dropping a legacy Mueller case against the Russian firm responsible for financing parts of the 2016 election interference.

I'm just shocked at the news.

Yeah, WaPo article here.

Assistants to U.S. Attorney Timothy Shea of Washington D.C., and Assistant Attorney General for National Security John C. Demers cited an unspecified "change in the balance of the government's proof due to a classification determination," according to a nine-page filing accompanied by facts under seal.
Prosecutors also cited the failure of the company, Concord Management and Consulting, to comply with trial subpoenas and providing a "misleading" affidavit by Yevgeniy Prigozhin, a co-defendant and the company's founder. Prigozhin is a catering magnate and military contractor known as "Putin's chef" because of his ties to Russian President Vladimir Putin.

SwordsmanofS

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Arizona is in play... as long as Biden is at the top of the ticket.

Like I said, job loss and losing your home has a way of the Real World breaking through but I've just been amazed over the last 3 years what Trump has been able to survive with his approval rating never leaving the range of 38-44%
This is totally true... but the thing is, a recession and losing your shit as in 2008 means something that transcends partisanship. It's part of the reason we're in this mess right now; Trump doing everything he can to avoid one (and ironically accelerating towards a worse one).

Many folks won't ever vote Democrat... but hit them hard enough and they won't circle the wagons and go out to vote Republican either.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
CA started paying for them in 2018 after a lot of complaints.
It's glorious.

In Ohio, you have to pay for postage, but they tell you how much. You also have to print out your own request for an absentee ballot, or pick one up...unless you happen to get sent one by the county (which doesn't always happen.) It's a mess.
Garbage. CA makes it so easy to become a permanent mail voter.

You just check a box and all your ballots come in the mail from that point forward. You still get the sample ballot, but it tells you that you're a permanent vote-by-mail voter and don't need to do anything beyond waiting for your ballot to arrive in a few weeks.

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
So is the reason they dragged their feet on testing because they wanted to guarantee Kushner's brother's company a hand in everything? I've seen that story around the last couple days but haven't been able to find many details.

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017
LOL someone smart on Discord just floated the possibility of Pelosi demanding their tax cuts be repealed in exchange for any bailout Trump wants.

That would be utterly amazing.

Deleted member 283

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In Ohio, you have to pay for postage, but they tell you how much. You also have to print out your own request for an absentee ballot, or pick one up...unless you happen to get sent one by the county (which doesn't always happen.) It's a mess.
Here in Michigan, I believe it's pretty much the same IIRC, you have to pay for postage. Alternatively, of course, you can just drop them off at your city clerk's office instead of mailing them in, which obviously won't be an option for everyone and isn't a solution at all, but nonetheless is an option (and is what we did, my dad just took all of our ballots down to city hall since the Warren city hall is like, literally down the street from me so I'm lucky in that being no big deal for me either way).

But yeah, I definitely agree that postage on that type of thing should be pre-paid, absolutely.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Polarization has love or hate for Trump so deeply baked in at this point that I wouldn't be surprised if it was neither Trump's 9/11 or Katrina, and was just another day/week/month/stretch of months in the Trump era, where the same 50something percent disapprove and 40something percent approve.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017

yeah I worry about this too. It will be important to remind people of how trump and right wing news minimized things for two weeks and didn't prepare when they should have.

Status
Not open for further replies.