• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
January 2009.
ZIZTLuu.jpg

Can't imagine why.
I mean, I guess. But my question is, they got slightly more conservative on the margin after Obama. But it wasn't a significant shift. So my confusion is, if the median Republican got slightly more conservative due to Obama, how the fuck did the kooks high jack the party?

For example, below. Clearly Bernie and Progressives moved the Democrats significantly leftward. But Republicans barely moved a smidge. Yet the Democratic Party hasn't been overrun by Progressives yet Romney can't run for President again despite most Republicans being around as conservative as they were.

www.people-press.org

The shift in the American public’s political values

Interactive chart that illustrates the shift in the American public’s political values from 1994-2017, using a scale of 10 questions asked together on seven Pew Research Center surveys.

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I guess. But my question is, they got slightly more conservative on the margin after Obama. But it wasn't a significant shift. So my confusion is, if the median Republican got slightly more conservative due to Obama, how the fuck did the kooks high jack the party?

For example, below. Clearly Bernie and Progressives moved the Democrats significantly leftward. But Republicans barely moved a smidge. Yet the Democratic Party hasn't been overrun by Progressives yet Romney can't run for President again despite most Republicans being around as conservative as they were.

www.people-press.org

Interactive chart that illustrates the shift in the American public’s political values from 1994-2017, using a scale of 10 questions asked together on seven Pew Research Center surveys.
Because the entire Republican Party has been about racism and hurting PoC since 1968; Trump merely made the quiet part loud. Now their white supremacist base can no longer be placated by dog whistles and vague promises to "cut spending" (keep the blacks on welfare from getting your white money).

Rag

Oct 30, 2017

www.people-press.org

It's tribalism. At a certain point, the only people who could win primaries were the furthest to the right... and that makes a feedback loop of crazy. I'd place the blame on McCain for picking Palin. Palin awoke something in the party and they weren't going to quit until they got someone that scratched that itch. Tribalism comes in where people on the right make the same kind of calculation that you and I do right now when we say that Biden isn't ideal, but we'd take a Dem trifecta and his Supreme Court picks over someone that could narrowly win, or lose. My mom hates Trump, but not as much as she hates abortion, and not as much as she loves the tribe.

TheAbsolution

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Because the entire Republican Party has been about racism and hurting PoC since 1968; Trump merely made the quiet part loud. Now their white supremacist base can no longer be placated by dog whistles and vague promises to "cut spending" (keep the blacks on welfare from getting your white money).
Correct. Once you've opened to the door to the Kingdom of White Supremacy, you can't just close it again.

It's also why I'm skeptical of the fears going around here of the GOP being able to nominate a competent woman that could turn the tides for them regarding suburban women. If it were possible for them, they already would've done so!

Status
Not open for further replies.