• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017

Tamanon

Oct 25, 2017
I think anger and disbelief are the right ways to message against conspiracy nonsense. Joe's passion has always been one of his most appealing features.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
The only 3 things that I need Biden to say against Trump at the debate stage are:

*The whole world is laughing at you, you have made a joke out of the office of the presidency.

*The American voters know that I am going to beat you like a DRUM!

*Anytime Trump says anything "You are a damn liar!"

KidAAlbum

Nov 18, 2017
Biden starting to get cocky and acting like he got this nomination wrapped up with the way he is speaking.

Side topic:

I think the M4A pivots largely have to do with that many people who originally signed on to it didn't realize that it abolished private insurance. Many people understand M4A as... well medicare for all... not medicare for all and also abolish the private insurances. That's pretty much the Buttiegeg pivot too, when he was asked about M4A that's probably what he thought in his head.

Warren explaining the plans in detail on debate made people realize slowly that M4A abolishes their current private insurance. I honestly feel like even now if you ask people now what M4A means they won't say that it's a single payer system that abolishes private insurance.
I want polls to be done where Medicare for All is properly explained to people

as opposed to
1. Do you support Medicare For All?
2. Do you know that Medicare for All takes away your private insurance? Do you still support it?

To instead be
1. Do you support Medicare For All?
2. What do you like about your private insurance? Do you know that Medicare For All lets you keep that? Do you still support it?

The first framing makes you feel like a victim where M4A takes something away that you like. Those are terrible questions.

Dec 31, 2017
>

Marc Caputo @MarcACaputo

"You're a damn liar" Biden tells a New Hampton Iowan at a town hall who said Biden "sent" his son to work in Ukraine at Burisma.

Biden then angrily told him to get his facts right and, because the man said he was too old, challenged him to a push-up contest or an IQ test

12:48 PM - Dec 5, 2019

Matt Viser @mviser

The Iowan also challenges Biden over his age.

"I'm not sedentary," Biden says, growing agitated. "You want to check my shape man, let's do pushups together here, man. Let's run. Let's do whatever you want to do. Let's take an IQ test. Ok?"

Not the first time this happened. In 1987, Biden challenged a New Hampshire voter asking a contentious question.

"I think I probably have a much higher IQ than you do, I suspect...I'd be delighted to sit down and compare my IQ to yours."https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=4&v=D1j0FS0Z6ho&feature=emb_logo …

1:03 PM - Dec 5, 2019

God damn this Biden would absolutely demolish trump at the polls. He's just not as sharp as in his prime, but if he's the nominee I'm hoping he can bring that confidence and fire.

I mean, I don't blame him at all. It's made up bullshit.

corasaur

Oct 26, 2017
Honest question: Could a Democratic controlled house and Senate change these terms to less than lifetime to kind of course correct this bullshit?
We'd need either a constitutional amendment or a packed supreme court willing to radically reinterpret article3 and "shall hold their offices during good behavior" or however the constitutional phrasing goes.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
I hope Steyer and Bloomberg use their war chests for the general election nominee and mute out the RNC and Trump with ads.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
2nd question is not accurate but under M4A it's not guaranteed that you will get the same doctor.

So if your voter's response is "my favorite thing about my insurance is that I can go to my favorite doctors and nurses" and then they find out that their doctors don't take Medicare...

Though in a single payer system things would be so dramatically different that it's hard to say. But its still disegenous to claim that you would be able to keep the same doctor under Medicare. Even though most would under single payer, it's not guaranteed.

The issue with all of this is simply lose aversion. I don't like my current insurance (not me specifically but a general "I") but I would take my private insurance over other ones due to X reasons. I can't trust 100% that a government run insurance system will be better than my current one.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure Joe looking unhinged and challenging a voter to an IQ test looks as bad for us who are online as it does for reasonable people elsewhere.

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, a lot of people in this country would probably find that appealing. Hell, calling Trump's lies bullshit during the debates would probably peel Republican voters away from Trump since he'd be "telling it like it is."
You can't be nice/diplomatic with trump. It won't win anyone over. And trump doesn't speak that language.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Biden should absolutely call Trump out on his bull shit as long as he isn't bumbling and stumbling through his words. He also shouldn't completely stop talking when the time runs out, at least finish your sentences man.

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017
Why is it pandering and not just what she believes in? Pretty much every politician has some number of "morally correct but politically toxic" positions. Her "plan" is not likely to come into fruition but it actually seems like the best plan to transition to single-payer if that's what you eventually want to do. What it looks like to me happened is that by actually trying to find a way to do it, she pissed of leftists who want/expect the President to wave a wand to get single-payer through and she revealed herself as more left than some White liberals expected/were willing to tolerate.

FWIW, corruption and democracy reforms are more important and without them improving healthcare will be hard/impossible. I wish more of the primary was focused on that and Warren has some of the best plans for dealing with corruption and democracy reform.

Hmm, looking at an article from the Washington Post, healthcare approach seems like THE defining issue.

There's one framing of Medicare-for-all that leads to division. When we presented it as the outright elimination of private insurance, rather than leaving it to respondents to define it, a sizable split among Democrats emerged. Thirty-nine percent supported "abolishing private health insurance and replace with government run health insurance" while 33 percent opposed it, and the rest were unsure. This policy was more popular among supporters of Sanders or Warren than Biden or Buttigieg, but responses to it were lukewarm across the board: Only 49 percent of Sanders supporters favored it. (Seventy-six percent of Democrats in our sample support a "public option," however.)

Warren getting associated with the elimination of private healthcare and not Sanders is... Interesting. The 50% of Sanders's supporters that clearly don't understand the basics of his Medicare for All proposal is... Interesting.

The full article is below. My take away is that the Democratic electorate doesn't really care about what they say they care about, and that they just want an old white man to sweep up the Trump mess.

MetalGearZed

Oct 30, 2017
"Get your words straight, JACK!"

"Let's do push-ups..."
*applause ensues*

The hell is happening? All I know is that if Biden makes it out of the primary, this shit better still work in the general lmao

I definitely heard "Look, fat-". Joe forgot he wasn't on the schoolyard for a sec lol.

Dec 31, 2017
Honestly, a lot of people in this country would probably find that appealing. Hell, calling Trump's lies bullshit during the debates would probably peel Republican voters away from Trump since he'd be "telling it like it is."

I agree, there's no point in going to civility route with trump.

Obviously don't stoop to his level, but call out bullshit when you see it.

In the video, it seems that Biden was about to call him a "fatass" or something lol. You just hear "look fat-" then he goes off.

LMAO that would have been wild.

PantherLotus

Oct 27, 2017
I do tend to think Biden would humiliate Trump in debate, not that debates matter. I just want him to completely ether Trump like he did Paul Ryan.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
Biden should absolutely call Trump out on his bull shit as long as he isn't bumbling and stumbling through his words. He also shouldn't completely stop talking when the time runs out, at least finish your sentences man.
This is the problem. As he gets frustrated or agitated, he bumbles his words as he struggles to limit his stutter.

*Sigh*

Dec 31, 2017
I do tend to think Biden would humiliate Trump in debate, not that debates matter. I just want him to completely ether Trump like he did Paul Ryan.

We'll see, he is less sharp compared to even a few years ago, but with some luck I think he can keep it together and speak clearly/confidently. His stutter is a bit more prominent these days.

JVID

Oct 25, 2017
Chicagoland
I'm sure Joe looking unhinged and challenging a voter to an IQ test looks as bad for us who are online as it does for reasonable people elsewhere.
Was Nancy "unhinged" when she shot back at that reporter this morning over that "Are you impeaching Trump because you hate him" question? No. Bullshit like that
should be clapped back on.

Oct 25, 2017
oh my god pete what are you doing

I mean, the Speaker of the House was talking pay-as-you-go just recently, so I think it's just a thing that Democratic politicians say to voters who are really worried about spending money on blacks, browns, single mothers, etc., but who phrase it as "OH NOEZ, THE NATIONAL DEBT."

And I think Buttigieg is a total piece of shit and refuse to vote for him for POTUS (I live in WA, not FL or some other purple state, thank God, or I would), so that's not me letting off a favorite lightly.

MetalGearZed

Oct 30, 2017
Biden: "And another thing folks, the secret to the Krabby Patty formula is-"

Maddow: "Time."

Biden: (...)

KidAAlbum

Nov 18, 2017
2nd question is not accurate but under M4A it's not guaranteed that you will get the same doctor.

So if your voter's response is "my favorite thing about my insurance is that I can go to my favorite doctors and nurses" and then they find out that their doctors don't take Medicare...

Though in a single payer system things would be so dramatically different that it's hard to say. But its still disegenous to claim that you would be able to keep the same doctor under Medicare. Even though most would under single payer, it's not guaranteed.

The issue with all of this is simply lose aversion. I don't like my current insurance (not me specifically but a general "I") but I would take my private insurance over other ones due to X reasons. I can't trust 100% that a government run insurance system will be better than my current one.
If it's single payer system, which is what medicare for all is, then you do get to keep your doctors unless they move (which can happen regardless), retired (happened to me), etc.... Everyone accepts medicare in that system because they have to as no other can legally compete with it. And as it stands now, your private insurance plan can change due to your employer.

Whatever your private insurance provides, single payer system can provide in what it can control.

The problem with the polls is that they don't properly explain these things so the framing is terrible to gauge what people really want. It attempts to simply everything without properly explaining what the plan is. So if the question is just "you lose your private insurance", while still correct, it doesn't seek to properly find out what people actually think of it.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Was Nancy "unhinged" when she shot back at that reporter this morning over that "Are you impeaching Trump because you hate him" question? No. Bullshit like that
should be clapped back on.
Absolutely not! It was a great response from Nancy is the difference here. She didn't challenge a dummy to a push-up contest or an IQ test. Biden looks insane to me.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
If it's single payer system, which is what medicare for all is, then you do get to keep your doctors unless they move (which can happen regardless), retired (happened to me), etc.... Everyone accepts medicare in that system because they have to as no other can legally compete with it. And as it stands now, your private insurance plan can change due to your employer.

Whatever your private insurance provides, single payer system can provide in what it can control.
I know all of this and I am a proponent for single player (eventually, not as soon as possible) or a systen where Medicare is the primary means of health care and private insurance is supplementary. The progressives don't have to make the case to me, they have to make the case for the electorates. They have to sell it like Trump sells *checks notes* wall on the border.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
Well, I guess CNBC decided to quote that Biden exchange a different way:
Democratic presidential contender Joe Biden on Thursday called a man in Iowa a "damn liar," "fat" and "too old to vote for me" after the man accused Biden of getting his son Hunter a job with a Ukrainian gas company in exchange for access to the Obama administration.
"You do not hear that at all," Biden said. "Look, OK, I'm not going to get into an argument with you, man."

When the man said, "I don't want to either," Biden said, "Well, yeah, you do."

"But look, fat, here's the deal," Biden said.

The man then said, "It looks, it looks like you don't have any more backbone than Trump does."

Biden said to the crowd then: "Any other questions?"

Slim Action

Jul 4, 2018
That VP debate was really cathartic because Ryan had been treated like a wonderboy for years by the media and then he just got clowned like the clown he is.

Status
Not open for further replies.