Ashes of Dreams

Fallen Guardian of Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
The Temple of Light immediately brings to mind the name Ariana.

jnaizvxc8byueoavkasn.png
light.jpg

ehehehehe, Men have wasted away before it, entranced by what they have seen, or been driven mad, not knowing if what it shows is real or even possible

I'll never truly feel satisfied in my life because of this right here. It changed me forever. I've been a shell of a person ever since.

LinkSlayer64

One Winged Slayer
Jun 6, 2018
LinkSlayer64 you were right on the money! Had no idea we had the original render this whole time. Spent all that time fixing the colors for nothing. ;(

Still makes me wonder why the colors in the leak are so weird.
Wooooooooooooooo lol! I'm getting so lucky XD
Might be that some of the color data got lost?
I'm a bit ashamed to admit I followed the updates to that story religiously and even tried some of the things they suggested to do. I was so naive...
I'll never truly feel satisfied in my life because of this right here. It changed me forever. I've been a shell of a person ever since.
I'm sorry to both of you, but all I can say is loooooooooooooooooooool XD It's amazing, wait how did no one call out the fact it was called "Temple of Light" instead of "Light Temple?"

Ashes of Dreams

May 22, 2020
I'm a bit ashamed to admit I followed the updates to that story religiously and even tried the things they suggested to do. I was so naive...
It was a daily ritual of mine for awhile to check the internet and see what ridiculous new "rumors" (lies) were posted and try to recreate them in-game. I remember one that was very adamant it was based on a secret in the Deku Tree, one that claimed you had to do something with the clock in the Hyrule Castle Courtyard, so many things. When this one came around, it really felt like it had to be the one! lol

I'm sorry to both of you, but all I can say is loooooooooooooooooooool XD It's amazing, wait how did no one call out the fact it was called "Temple of Light" instead of "Light Temple?"
In my defense I was like 9.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Tbf to the people who created the hoax (and the naive me lol) it is actually called Temple of Light in the game itself, it's just that it's not a place you can actually explore.

It was a daily ritual of mine for awhile to check the internet and see what ridiculous new "rumors" (lies) were posted and try to recreate them in-game. I remember one that was very adamant it was based on a secret in the Deku Tree, one that claimed you had to do something with the clock in the Hyrule Castle Courtyard, so many things. When this one came around, it really felt like it had to be the one! lol
Another famous one I tried is the pyramid in the Haunted Wasteland. Shit was so dumb but it was kinda fun in a way.

LinkSlayer64

One Winged Slayer
Jun 6, 2018

oh yeah, no ill intention meant towards either of you lol, can't remember the last crazy thing I was sure of, but I know there had to be one.

Tbf to the people who created the hoax (and the naive me lol) it is actually called Temple of Light in the game itself, it's just that it's not a place you can actually explore.

oh yeah, duh, you're right, thanks.

GlassCup64

Dec 16, 2017
So I originally thought this peach stained glass render was a simple cutout but out of sheer luck I ended up opening it into Photoshop as opposed to Illustrator and a background popped up! It's looks like Peach's glass is in some sort of ice cave? It certainly explains why her skin was shaded blue which perplexed me a little bit.

2CjZoVj.jpg
That's certainly interesting. Not sure what to make of it though.

Ashes of Dreams

May 22, 2020
Another famous one I tried is the pyramid in the Haunted Wasteland. Shit was so dumb but it was kinda fun in a way.

omg yessss. There HAD to be a secret path through the wasteland to get the the pyramid! Even though I also had a gameshark and moonjumped there and it was nothing, that doesn't mean there's really nothing!

LinkSlayer64

One Winged Slayer
Jun 6, 2018
yooooo another video has surfaced that shows the equipped medallions!!! (or rather, one I hadn't seen before.)

at 4 seconds in, blink and you'll miss it!
EeEAlHkXgAAddWd

The cameraman looking away as soon as the horse thing ends is KILLING ME, I wanted to know what happened after because that's clearly a race of some kind but in Hyrule field!

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
omg yessss. There HAD to be a secret path through the wasteland to get the the pyramid! Even though I also had a gameshark and moonjumped there and it was nothing, that doesn't mean there's really nothing!
'''No no you just not doing it right! You have to go through this extremely convoluted trading quest to make it accessible! Also you got to beat the running man with 0 seconds!''

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
yooooo another video has surfaced that shows the equipped medallions!!! (or rather, one I hadn't seen before.)

EeEAlHkXgAAddWd

The cameraman looking away as soon as the horse thing ends is KILLING ME, I wanted to know what happened after because that's clearly a race of some kind but in Hyrule field!

And that vid also has the beta link voice... I still really want those voice files to be found.

Imran

Oct 24, 2017

When I was a kid, I ran a fansite dedicated to "investigating the triforce rumors" and would basically play through whatever Triforce quests people said lead to it and would update the site to go "Nope! This one didn't work!"

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
Fascinating! Thank you.

Man, it's moment like these that I wish games were more easily delayed by companies to make sure the whole vision is implemented. MGS2 is the other game that comes to mind, and for that one, it's painfully obvious where the cut content was (the second core of the Big Shell; everything after the harrier boss fight).
Not everything is cut due to time. Even ideas that sound cool can be scrapped if the developers decide it's not actually good for the game.

Ashes of Dreams

May 22, 2020
When I was a kid, I ran a fansite dedicated to "investigating the triforce rumors" and would basically play through whatever Triforce quests people said lead to it and would update the site to go "Nope! This one didn't work!"
That's awesome! When I was like 10 or 11 I remember getting on the staff for a Zelda fansite (there were so many back then) and my main contribution other than random lore articles (which I'm sure were written amazingly at that age) was I ran a section where I just updated my many journeys through the "Beta Quest" (which for anyone who doesn't know was a terrible misleading name given to a bunch of gameshark codes that put you into jumbled up states of the game).

Looking back I don't think many people went to that site. lol

Sir Hound

Oct 28, 2017
That's awesome! When I was like 10 or 11 I remember getting on the staff for a Zelda fansite (there were so many back then) and my main contribution other than random lore articles (which I'm sure were written amazingly at that age) was I ran a section where I just updated my many journeys through the "Beta Quest" (which for anyone who doesn't know was a terrible misleading name given to a bunch of gameshark codes that put you into jumbled up states of the game).

Looking back I don't think many people went to that site. lol
What was it called? I used to run one called Zelda Elements so this feels like it rings a bell.

The Wind Waker test rooms was a phenomenal discovery too. Plenty of time screenshotting and documenting those.

LinkSlayer64

One Winged Slayer
Jun 6, 2018
What was it called? I used to run one called Zelda Elements so this feels like it rings a bell.

The Wind Waker test rooms was a phenomenal discovery too. Plenty of time screenshotting and documenting those.
Yo... Nexus Zero, thank you for your site, it still has one of the best summation articles of beta elements, if you use the wayback machine of course to get the images! It's because of that site that I always think of beta Deku Tree as having a cold!

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.
I remember being under the impression the Beta Quest *was* the actual beta.

My one and only gaming discovery was discovering the hidden floor underneath the Big Boo Haunt merry-go-round in Mario 64 via Game Shark -- true to that game's insane physics, someone actually found a way to reach that with long jump shenanigans. (I *think* there's even a YouTube video out there.)

Zelda Elements! That and The Grand Adventures were my jam back in 2004.

Ashes of Dreams

May 22, 2020

I'll be honest, I was so young and it was so long ago I don't remember it's name. Sounds like people here remember that one though so my instinct is to say it isn't it but maybe it got more traffic than I remember or assumed. I recall a few personal details of the people who ran it but I don't wanna say them openly for obvious reasons. It would be insane to run into one of them again twenty years later so we can figure it out in DMs if you want, though I'll just assume it wasn't the same site for now. lol

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
A few MM areas being unused OoT leftovers helps to explain the super speedy turnaround for that game (on top of all the other reused assets, I mean).

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's super interesting to see those Majora's Mask locations finally be in Ocarina of Time. I remember that they confirmed that one of the scrapped locations of OOT was reworked into MM, and speculation was that it was one of the two spider houses. Guess this confirms that they basically ported it straight over.

Sir Hound

Oct 28, 2017
Yo... Nexus Zero, thank you for your site, it still has one of the best summation articles of beta elements, if you use the wayback machine of course to get the images! It's because of that site that I always think of beta Deku Tree as having a cold!

Thanks man! Someone took the expired domain and dug up the most recent version of the site from Wayback Machine, put it up and start posting about fucking bongs or something 😅

All this had me going through it on there too, no one should have access to shit they wrote aged 13.

Zelda Elements! That and The Grand Adventures were my jam back in 2004.

Ah man, the original TGA. I remember them having great beta archives too.

bomma man

Oct 25, 2017
This. We're so used to seeing Ocarina run at resolutions many times greater than it did 20 years ago, that it's easy to forget those pre-rendered backgrounds looked incredible on a CRT at the the N64's native resolution. They offered a level of detail and gravitas that real-time graphics couldn't achieve alone.

Nah. They were called out as looking shit at the time, compared to disk based systems could produce.

Adam_Roman

Oct 25, 2017
Fixed it! 1:1 4K Cart Label Render

DOFvbVP.jpg
For some reason in your gigapixel upscales, it adds a red tint to the shaded areas on Mario's pants. It looks like it did them with the upscaled renders here too.

Figured out how uncorrupt the image/render files and have been trying my hand at gigapixeling for the first time! These renders are very tiny so I couldn't enlarge/enhance them by too much but I think they turned out ok. I'm assuming these were used in the manual? Otherwise I don't really recognize some of them.

3FMrnC0.png
EznMflK.png

3lRM8OS.png
84ybXhj.png

zVylAmR.png
cQgh569.png

EOuYMpl.png
7RHL9Lm.png

wf126pb.png
jiZwcAE.png

ojQH2qA.png
59DeICf.png

wzD1frn.png
n4NffIr.png

RqadgMU.png
Td315ij.png

k00VBqE.png
D7Mqvpf.png

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
So I originally thought this peach stained glass render was a simple cutout but out of sheer luck I ended up opening it into Photoshop as opposed to Illustrator and a background popped up! It's looks like Peach's glass is in some sort of ice cave? It certainly explains why her skin was shaded blue which perplexed me a little bit.

2CjZoVj.jpg
It's not in an ice cave, it's just a weirdly tinted version of this render:
EOW3HlIUcAA0nT7

Eblo

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, so the swamp spiderhouse might have been the kakariko spiderhouse originally?
I'm not sure if it was hacking responsible for it or the data, but the video does show it having the same background music as the Kakariko spider house in the final game (which happens to be the same music used inside the Great Deku Tree). Also supporting your theory is the fact that it actually resembles a somewhat large house befitting the rich family, unlike the lone circular room in the final game.

VB32

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure if posted, but well-known modder skelux was actually able to compile sm64 from the leak.

More goodies should be coming from him soon

andresmoros

Oct 29, 2017
Houston

EeEAlHkXgAAddWd

wait, so the medallions where like the fire and ice arrows equivalents??? I wonder what the other ones did then 😯. I always wanted to know all this shit. I find this so fascinating!