Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2017
Only one poll showing hung parliament territory and its still in a CON government favouring area. We gotta hope the polls are wrong on a historic level.

Wouldn't have to be on an historic level. An overestimation of the front runner in line with 2001 or 1997 would easily do. Or 2005, where the closest poll in the last month of the campaign (5% Labour lead) was out by 2% from the result (3% Labour lead).

Xevross

Oct 28, 2017
So if the NI math is:

DUP = 8
SF = 7
SDLP = 2
Alliance = 1

Plus the Speaker, how many seats can the Tories win and still not be able to form a majority with the DUP?
SF + speaker and deputies technically don't vote, so 320 is the working majority. Therefore absolute minimum the tories would need is 312, down 6 from last election. This seems quite unlikely to happen, less than 10% chance for sure.

His Majesty

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
So if the NI math is:

DUP = 8
SF = 7
SDLP = 2
Alliance = 1

Plus the Speaker, how many seats can the Tories win and still not be able to form a majority with the DUP?
Like the DUP are forming a majority with Boris after he stabbed them so viciously in the back.

Dodds and Foster are sadomasochists and get off on getting humiliated by Boris

Audioboxer

Banned
Nov 14, 2019
Can anyone remember or be bothered to dig up how the SNP were polling in Scotland in 2015?

I remember being shocked at that election (56/59), but I can't remember how off the polls were. Scottish Labour were fucking confused/shocked.

Then again, polling is usually shite up here and it's all a big wait and see.

Still, England needs its Blue Wedding.

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
SF + speaker and deputies technically don't vote, so 320 is the working majority. Therefore absolute minimum the tories would need is 312, down 6 from last election. This seems quite unlikely to happen, less than 10% chance for sure.
Right, that's what I thought. That's what sort of makes the math seem fuzzy... yes, it could be a hung parliament, and yes, the DUP is unhappy, but at the end of the day I think they'd much prefer Boris to a Jezza PM.

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
Can anyone remember or be bothered to dig up how the SNP were polling in Scotland in 2015?

I remember being shocked at that election (56/59), but I can't remember how off the polls were. Scottish Labour were fucking confused/shocked.

UK_Polling_results_vs_actual.png

RedShift

Oct 27, 2017

There were polls predicting the SNP could win every single seat at times during the campaign, but it still came as a bit of a shock on the night for sure.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
Oh so AP in the Survation poll is "Another Party" a catch all for all other parties. So I guess they're predicting a complete BXP collapse? That'd definitely help the Tories if it happens.
i can't look at the numbers atm though

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
Just been through all my dating apps and messaged all my matches

Ay up, vote labour (yes I'm dropping this to all my matches, gotta do my part)

Xevross

Oct 28, 2017
Wouldn't have to be on an historic level. An overestimation of the front runner in line with 2001 or 1997 would easily do. Or 2005, where the closest poll in the last month of the campaign (5% Labour lead) was out by 2% from the result (3% Labour lead).
Well looking at 2001 and 1997; 1997 had a couple of polls quite close the result (within 2%), 2001 also had a couple of polls within 2% in the last few days. 2005 also had a poll on the last day that was 2% away.

But it is kind of similar, all of these had the biggest party overestimated by pretty much all the polls and the closest were the ones who went lowest, and they were about 2% above. If that happens again here we'd be looking at about a 3-4% CON lead, which I still don't think would be enough for a labour government.

So yeah it would have to be quite historic for a labour government, especially since we have a lot more polls coming in nowadays.

Audioboxer

Banned
Nov 14, 2019

There were polls predicting the SNP could win every single seat at times during the campaign, but it still came as a bit of a shock on the night for sure.

Fair enough, I totally can't remember the polls saying it would that good.

I'LL TAKE IT AGAIN

THE SNP could win every seat in Scotland, according to a new poll which predicts that Labour, the Liberal Democrats and the Conservatives could lose all their Scottish seats at Westminster.

The poll by Ipsos MORI for STV showed the SNP up two points to a new high of 54 per cent with Labour dropping four points to 20 per cent.

This 34-point lead, the Electoral Calculus website says, would see the SNP win every single one of Scotland's 59 constituencies.

Other, more conservative websites predicted the SNP would take 58 out of Scotland's 59 seats.

But that reality is dead.

Here's hoping the Tories are at 5 or less. I'd probably guess 8~9 in Scotland. If it's more 🚽

SNP at 43 leaves a lot of room for the Tories still.

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So what you're saying is that people can never change their mind. I don't think that checks out.

I really think you're not considering the perspectives that might be in play here. Anyway, there is no need to debate this ad nauseam. I've said my piece. I'm not the thought police. I don't seek to control you. Just an opinion.

RellikSK

Nov 1, 2017
So if the NI math is:

DUP = 8
SF = 7
SDLP = 2
Alliance = 1

DUP will not support Tories under the current brexit policy.

But I think 326-1-8=317 but also Sinn Fein don't take their seats so you probably want the Tories lower than that.

Plum

May 31, 2018
I've had the biggest fucking stress headache all day because of this and I'm pretty sure that I've aged at least a few years. I mean how the fuck is it even possible to relax when the most likely outcome is that everything goes to shit even more? The entire world's going to fucking hell and this country seems to want to jump off the cliff so badly and it's just absolutely insane!

Just hoping that The Game Awards has some good stuff in it because that's literally all I can look forward to right now.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
BXP are listed separately in Survations tables so it's really weird they aren't in the results at all.

Pretty sure the BXP was just an elaborate ploy to get more people voting tory
There was actually a decent chance that because they only pulled out of Tory safe seats and were mainly competing for votes with the Tories that they might end up inadvertently helping Labour hold on to some seats.
At the very least everywhere has projected them to get at least a little chunk of the vote.

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
So... It's been several weeks of people calling Jeremy Corbyn anti-Semitic but without actually explaining how. No evidence, no videos, no references to a specific event, no nothing.

Help me out. When was he anti-Semitic?

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
So when Tories are screwing the country over in 3 months...what will all the papers say?

Will he just grin and bear it?

So... It's been several weeks of people calling Jeremy Corbyn anti-Semitic but without actually explaining how. No evidence, no videos, no references to a specific event, no nothing.

Help me out. When was he anti-Semitic?

The bastard said a Jewish name wrong!

https://inews.co.uk/opinion/jeremy-corbyn-jeffrey-epstein-anti-semitism-row-pronounciation-1312516

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
Can someone explain how Sinn Fein even exists without taking seats to me?
They're a nationalist party that runs in the UK parliamentary seats to protest the fact that they're even part of the UK. Their voters know what they're getting when they vote for them -- they do not think that NI should be in the United Kingdom, so this is their way of making their nationalist voices heard through abstentionism.

Sinn Fein also organizes in the the NI Assembly (which basically doesn't exist right now lol but where they do take their seats) and in Ireland where they're the third largest party and the largest party on the left.

PooWithEyes

trying to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Nov 20, 2019
Welp, still totally expecting a Tory majority tomorrow. Expect the worst, hope for the best. Though at this point I'm thinking "best" is a LAB/SNP coalition which doesn't bother me too much.

Just better hope the youth turnout is amazing tomorrow. The amount of young people registering was amazing - now they just need to turn up and vote.

Audioboxer

Banned
Nov 14, 2019

A special place in hell is kept warm for Labour voters who go Conservative as a "one off".

Imagine being such a cunt of a Scottish person you oppose your own independence enough to vote for this Tory party 🤣

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can someone explain how Sinn Fein even exists without taking seats to me?
They're a legitimate party who are voted in as representatives of the nationalist vote.

part of that agreement is that they do t take seats in Parliament as that involves swearing an oath to the queen. Instead they provide a nationalist voice by taking a moral stand in their view of wanting a United ireland. they're able to work in a devolved capacity without being Present in London so they don't vote in the commons or take their seats. Their goals are specific to Irish unity and that'll not get any traction in Parliament.

Xevross

Oct 28, 2017
Welp, still totally expecting a Tory majority tomorrow. Expect the worst, hope for the best. Though at this point I'm thinking "best" is a LAB/SNP coalition which doesn't bother me too much.

Just better hope the youth turnout is amazing tomorrow. The amount of young people registering was amazing - now they just need to turn up and vote.
Absolutely, the chance of labour being able to govern on their own is about 0.001% at this point. We're all cheering on the SNP against the Tories (and the lib dems - fuck em) today.

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
I think there's a possibility that the DUP might only get 7 seats tomorrow (a small possibility), which would make the numbers much more workable. But jesus, what a disaster FPTP is.

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And yet abstention is still a tacit form of approval by reducing the numbers needed to succeed. If they wanted to defend the union they'd vote down Boris every time.

That is as maybe. I just think it is just impossible for them to vote for the Irish sea border and it is impossible for them to vote for Corbyn, with his republican associations. They can't do either so they will do neither.

PooWithEyes

trying to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Nov 20, 2019
Absolutely, the chance of labour being able to govern on their own is about 0.001% at this point. We're all cheering on the SNP against the Tories (and the lib dems - fuck em) today.

I want Swinson to lose her seat but other than that I'm not too bothered about the LDs.

Garjon

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder how things would look if we actually had an unbiased media.

For one thing, they would hammer Boris on his ludicrous Brexit position, pushing Tory voters to BXP and then who knows, Labour could potentially have got enough seats. But no, we need to do 10x the work of the Tories just for a slither of a chance of a hung parliament. Though speaking of which, I want to echo people's thoughts on the effort of local canvassers. They've workd their arses off in awful weather and amid countless death threats and actual physical bodily harm from far right cunts and no matter what happens tomorrow, they are all real heroes in this. I just hope it's not all for naught.

Audioboxer

Banned
Nov 14, 2019
lmao in case you needed further evidence that the times has fuckin lost it

"Free Mr Johnson to act boldly in other areas."

Every single Tory voting twat that you know should have this printed and then stuck to their fridge with a penis magnet. Especially Labour voters who switch to the Tories.

Thought the Lib Dems fucked voters (students cry) going into a Tory coalition? You're voting directly for the devil here.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
It's probably worth noting that a hung parliament is still within the margin of error of Survation's final poll.

Oct 26, 2017
"Free Mr Johnson to act boldly in other areas."

Every single Tory voting twat that you know should have this printed and then stuck to their fridges with a penis magnet. Especially Labour voters who switch to the Tories.

Thought the Lib Dems fucked voters (students cry) going into a Tory coalition? You're voting directly for the devil here.

I love the "for electoral reasons" like, times just boldly admitting that if people knew his bold plans they wouldn't vote for them lol

a hung parliament is gonna be great for revisiting those break the deadlock johnson quotes

Audioboxer

Banned
Nov 14, 2019
I love the "for electoral reasons" like, times just boldly admitting that if people knew his bold plans they wouldn't vote for them lol

a hung parliament is gonna be great for revisiting those break the deadlock johnson quotes

It's the whole reason the Tories put out that shite manifesto and went on about potholes.

Once they have a majority they charge on with doing whatever the fuck they want with no accountability.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Whatever happens you can hold your head high that you voted against the Tories.

Hoping for the best. Will be voting.

Corbyn is a good person with a heart who actually cares, don't turn him down.

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A vote in the commons against Boris isn't a vote for Labour tho

Sorry, you're right. I was thinking they needed 50% of the house rather than just a majority (which could be less than 50%)

Yes I see your point now.

I still think they will abstain. But it;s not as black and white as I made it out to be.

Sinn Féin's abstentionism is a little bit deeper than just not wanting to swear an oath.

Of course. I explained that badly too. The oath is symbolic of state. But that does not mean they would happily take their seats if the oath was removed.

Status
Not open for further replies.