• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Nearly 60 year old parents with health issues went to the pub tonight. Fuming. Nearly got into a full blown argument. They're both intelligent and rational people. But clearly dense.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Partner came home in tears after her shift tonight knowing what's coming up having spent the day with Covid patients. They're already getting to where they're concerned over supplies and this is one of the major hospitals in the area.

Deleted member 16516

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think it's gonna go that far. Train companies would have to stop selling tickets now. Are they really gonna stop people traveling outside or into London when they may be traveling for work or to see family members.

Leaving people stranded away from home? There is no way that will happen.
Possibly a grace period over the weekend? Allow people who need to get back home the time to do so, and then implement the full lockdown of London on Monday onwards?

impingu1984

Oct 31, 2017
UK
Fuck it bring on the lockdown... I've just bought Doom Eternal... Getting ready to sit out the coming weeks..

Honestly don't know how else we'll cope... Kids are going be home .. I'll still be WFH... The wife has pulled a long shift in the pharmacy ( they have had literally hundreds of prescriptions orders in, people panic for there medication) and is asleep on me...

This will not break me or my family..

RedShift

Oct 27, 2017
My parents are already planning to drive to London to pick my brother up from University tomorrow. Asked if I wanted to come back too, but going to stay, easier to WFH here and gf and housemates are here too.

Jesus, less than two weeks ago we were having parties and hanging out like normal. Seems unreal now.

gerg

Oct 25, 2017
I wish I had your optimism because all I see is they are winging it and changing it too late when they realize it's not working.

I generally don't buy into "this was all planned" analyses of events, but the fact that every day this week we've had one major announcement or another does make me think that they've had these ideas in mind, and just didn't want to implement them all at once (which, provided it doesn't reduce their impact too greatly, makes some sense to me).

Oct 25, 2017
Shit. If I'm in lockdown it'll be months til I can see my family in the midlands, and I haven't even visited this year. But if I stay down here it's definitely me and my flatmates locked down for weeks where I may not be able to see my partner anyway. Hoping the clarity comes sooner rather than later.

theaface

Oct 25, 2017
I don't get this slow drip, drip, drip of social distancing measures. It's like there's a roadmap for it (pubs, etc. announced on Monday, schools on Wednesday, London probably by the weekend and so on).

If every day counts (and the tally of infections/deaths says that it does) why not simply enforce all the measures you're planning on doing ASAP? I imagine the argument will be to give people time to adjust/prepare, but truth is no one is really ready to deal with what's coming, even if they had a week's notice.

Punished Dan

Oct 27, 2017
Nearly 60 year old parents with health issues went to the pub tonight. Fuming. Nearly got into a full blown argument. They're both intelligent and rational people. But clearly dense.

I live a 5 min walk from two restaurants and a pub.

Went by them tonight in the car. Pub had people stood outside smoking like any other night

Both restaurants busy.

Garfield

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Sky news are reporting that London could be about to be lock downed

Most shops in London could close and transport in the capital may be restricted by the weekend under plans being considered in government, according to Whitehall sources.

Oct 25, 2017
Dundee, Scotland
Update from work after today's news RE schools advising us of our "responsibility" to the nation as a whole but they are willing to work with us by allowing us to bring forward paid leave from next year. Four weeks isn't going to cut it ffs! A lot of the rhetoric is echoing the Government, all very "British spirit" that seems to translate to "come in and risk you and your family's health". When asked about allowing work from home? No answer. When asked about allowing greater space between employees to minimise transmission risks? No answer. All very Boris-esque of talking while saying nothing of substance and ignoring the questions you don't have answers for.

Oct 28, 2017
Locally I've noticed quite a bit of community spirit, smaller businesses and taxi firms delivering to the vulnerable for free. People more open to help out their neighbours.

It would be great to think when we get over the worst of this pandemic that society will start to value the teachers, the low paid service jobs, the voluntary sector, more highly - but I know we won't. We'll worship the rich and the famous, and blame this all on others.

Emmaginary

Self-requested ban
Aug 13, 2019
My estranged family are all going carpet shopping at a department store on Friday. One of them is 80, one of them is 65 with diabetes, one of them has asthma but doesn't that their inhalers correctly, and the other has multiple serious health conditions that I won't list.

Idiots, idiots, idiots.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
Update from work after today's news RE schools advising us of our "responsibility" to the nation as a whole but they are willing to work with us by allowing us to bring forward paid leave from next year. Four weeks isn't going to cut it ffs! A lot of the rhetoric is echoing the Government, all very "British spirit" that seems to translate to "come in and risk you and your family's health". When asked about allowing work from home? No answer. When asked about allowing greater space between employees to minimise transmission risks? No answer. All very Boris-esque of talking while saying nothing of substance and ignoring the questions you don't have answers for.
Any organisation that's large enough to take the hit should be paying employees in full and letting them have time off as needed for childcare or if they get sick.

For organisations not large enough to take that hit, the gov needs to help them out.

Telling employees they can bring forward holiday from next year is bullshit and literally unlawful, because you have to give a minimum amount of paid leave each year. Source: I was an employment lawyer.

Singh

Oct 26, 2017
As mentioned earlier, it has been really difficult as a pharmacist, queues have constantly been out of the door BUT going forward we will really need a task force of volunteers to help and try to deliver medicines to those under lockdown (when it eventually happens).

Shibata100

Oct 29, 2017
I don't get this slow drip, drip, drip of social distancing measures. It's like there's a roadmap for it (pubs, etc. announced on Monday, schools on Wednesday, London probably by the weekend and so on).

If every day counts (and the tally of infections/deaths says that it does) why not simply enforce all the measures you're planning on doing ASAP? I imagine the argument will be to give people time to adjust/prepare, but truth is no one is really ready to deal with what's coming, even if they had a week's notice.

You have to give people some kind of time. The amount of people that travel in and out of London is huge. Would you rather there be an instant lockdown leaving people stuck with nowhere to go. Then there is the issue of employment and what happens with offices and businesses which are still trading. Employers and employees need some kind of awareness in regards to restrictions on travel.

Nov 14, 2017
The difficult thing about parents is that it's their life.

My parents live with one of my sisters, and all three of them have serious health problems. They are taking it seriously, but honestly I could have seen my dad not caring about it. I think my mum probably convinced him it was serious.

Still, if they decided they want to go out then I'd have to accept it.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
The difficult thing about parents is that it's their life.

My parents live with one of my sisters, and all three of them have serious health problems. They are taking it seriously, but honestly I could have seen my dad not caring about it. I think my mum probably convinced him it was serious.

Still, if they decided they want to go out then I'd have to accept it.
I couldn't disagree more. "It's my life" is for skydiving, not for a virus you can pass to other people.

Jeff Albertson

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
BT brethren checking in. Given we support critical services like 999, coastguard etc it's more likely to be a prioritization exercise. Need those things to function more than ever atm.
We had over 50 absences today. It felt like a Saturday. Shit will hit the fan sooner rather than later.

To be honest it's tough times but I genuinely feel companies like this have a chance to be on the the right side of history

It's going to be a shit time for everyone but we can keep the networks going then we can help millions work from home meaning businesses stay afloat and as mentioned we keep the 999 service running

I'm glad I'm not important enough to make those decisions that balances our people and Our customers as I can't see a way to have it perfect for both

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way

It's interesting, as it seems like life as normal in most places now. Fewer cars on the road and shops (other than supermarkets) a little quieter but not much different that usual. But then I watch the BBC news and they show empty city squares and train/tube stations - not what I'm seeing IRL.

Also the supermarkets are fucking crazy - if anything the panic buying there will have accelerated the epidemic. Interesting to hear that there hasn't been any panic buying in Italy though, just seems to be the Anglosphere in the main. I still blame that single tweet photo of the Australian lady in Aldi with a load of toilet roll for ALL the panic buying around the world.

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's interesting, as it seems like life as normal in most places now. Fewer cars on the road and shops (other than supermarkets) a little quieter but not much different that usual. But then I watch the BBC news and they show empty city squares and train/tube stations - not what I'm seeing IRL.

Also the supermarkets are fucking crazy - if anything the panic buying there will have accelerated the epidemic. Interesting to hear that there hasn't been any panic buying in Italy though, just seems to be the Anglosphere in the main. I still blame that single tweet photo of the Australian lady in Aldi with a load of toilet roll for ALL the panic buying around the world.

This is the problem. Their are certain instances where not being close to people is just not possible.

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017

Bahahah fuck me, I'm glad I'm no longer working in London for the time being.

Central London may be quieter but my commute on Monday (Victoria Line) was still full of people.

On the pub note - I popped very briefly into my local earlier to pay off a drink I owed. Apparently it's been getting busier and busier as the week has gone on.

People. Are. Not. Listening.

Edit: and I'll be the first person to say it because I'm guilty of it on lots of things - people do not listen to advice if it negatively impacts them.

Advice is simply giving people something to try and justify ignoring.

Yogi

Banned
Nov 10, 2019

Don't worry Boris says the science shows that viruses don't spread any faster in large gatherings. And there's no police or healthworkers there that need to be elsewhere. Schools don't even really need to be shutdown, the kids apparently might not even be able to spread it!

Can't believe the things they said infront of millions.

Oct 30, 2017
I finally broke through to my parents by getting my 2 year old and 4 year old to talk to them on the phone like normal, then when they'd finished walking into another room and explaining to my dad I didn't want to have to explain to them why they would never see nanny or grandad again.

It took that much hammering to make them realise it's not just their lives they're fucking up and affecting.

Some people are just too fucking stupid to realise this though, and tbh at this point I can't help but feel we might be better off without them. And I feel fucking awful for saying that.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
I finally broke through to my parents by getting my 2 year old and 4 year old to talk to them on the phone like normal, then when they'd finished walking into another room and explaining to my dad I didn't want to have to explain to them why they would never see nanny or grandad again.

It took that much hammering to make them realise it's not just their lives they're fucking up and affecting.

Some people are just too fucking stupid to realise this though, and tbh at this point I can't help but feel we might be better off without them. And I feel fucking awful for saying that.
Yeah, this is what it takes. Excellent tactic 👍 It's not fun to hurt our parents like this, but we have a duty.

Obsonet

Nov 26, 2019
I failed to stop them three times last week. I was so angry! You just have to keep at it. If you can make them see sense just one day earlier, you've done a lot of good.

Yeah I'll keep trying but my dad is really stubborn.
He might not go again if I keep up but he won't not go this time after he already planned to

Oct 25, 2017
Dundee, Scotland
To be honest it's tough times but I genuinely feel companies like this have a chance to be on the the right side of history

It's going to be a shit time for everyone but we can keep the networks going then we can help millions work from home meaning businesses stay afloat and as mentioned we keep the 999 service running

I'm glad I'm not important enough to make those decisions that balances our people and Our customers as I can't see a way to have it perfect for both

I know it's got to be impossible keeping a balance but squashing us into building with more than 500 others, on floors where we sit less than six feet apart is asking for trouble. Let us VPN in to work offline cases. Bring chat back to the UK and let us work that from home. In our building at least they could massively reduce the number of sales staff in, thus freeing up more desks to allow us to spread out.

Their solutions of get someone else to look after your kid, bring forward holidays from next year or reduce your hours don't work long term. They keep acting like this is a problem that will clear up in a week or two. They are operating day to day, just like the Government is, and it's fucking terrifying. Lurching day to day and hoping someone comes up with a silver bullet for this thing is going to get people killed and destroy countless lives among those left.

Slair

Oct 27, 2017

Fuck sake :( I'm back in tomorrow, but i feel like total shit having to come home to my pregnant asthmatic girlfriend at night after potentially getting infected at work, after she's basically took maternity leave early to protect herself from this shit. Like, if she ends up in a bad way because of me, i don't know how to cope with that.

Oct 30, 2017
I know it's got to be impossible keeping a balance but squashing us into building with more than 500 others, on floors where we sit less than six feet apart is asking for trouble. Let us VPN in to work offline cases. Bring chat back to the UK and let us work that from home. In our building at least they could massively reduce the number of sales staff in, thus freeing up more desks to allow us to spread out.

I know Aviva have done this to some extent - brother in law works in claims there and they're splitting them over various sites (they have some empty buildings in Norwich, and have a lot of staff out/wfh that can) to give everyone loads of space, more car parking so they don't need to use public transport etc.