Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
My work colleague had fever and shortness of breath and hasn't worked in two weeks. He couldn't get tested though. Was asked if he has travelled and because not they wouldn't test him.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Look, these are crazy times we're living in. At this point I'd consider Iceland. Maybe.

I'll be in Howard's shelter, and this lady will be the Iceland delivery driver and I still won't let her in.

004%2BSuzanne%2BCryer%2Bas%2Bthe%2BWoman.jpg

Oct 27, 2017
Nipped out for some bread because I haven't been stockpiling; none in two branches of Asda and Sainsbury's (and missing a ton of other stuff too), nipped in to Lidl on the off chance, bread everywhere. Nice, well done Lidl.

Fatmanp

Oct 27, 2017
Nipped out for some bread because I haven't been stockpiling; none in two branches of Asda and Sainsbury's (and missing a ton of other stuff too), nipped in to Lidl on the off chance, bread everywhere. Nice, well done Lidl.
My Mum said Aldi and Lidl seem to be keeping on top of stock it's just pandemonium in there. Not that Sainsbury's was any more orderly.

WhovianGamer

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Schools will close within a couple of days. We've had information from senior officials in London. Staff meetings cancelled and packs are being prepared for kids.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Sons university basically just told them it'll be closed until the end of the year - so not going back until September. No idea what they'll do about exams - online isn't ideal, and even lectures isn't great online without good support sessions

Emmaginary

Self-requested ban
Aug 13, 2019
If you are all running that low on food, might I suggest Huel?

Works out to around £2 per meal three times a day if I am not mistaken and is very nutritional.

It's better than starving.

Garfield

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Tesco reducing their hours across all stores to 6am till 10pm

Garfield

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 31, 2018
The information I've heard is that it'll be all schools and that some in senior positions are accepting that we won't even be back for the first week after Easter.

Called that weeks ago, as it is a easy win for the GOV, extending a holiday is far easier, now I hope if the virus has passed they reduce the summer holidays by two weeks, but I expect the schools union will be all over that like a rash in opposition

suedester

Oct 25, 2017
If you are all running that low on food, might I suggest Huel?

Works out to around £2 per meal three times a day if I am not mistaken and is very nutritional.

It's better than starving.
The end times are truly upon us when I resort to feeding my family on food replacement powder. It's actually quite pricey too, £24 a day for a family of 4.

WhovianGamer

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Called that weeks ago, as it is a easy win for the GOV, extending a holiday is far easier, now I hope if the virus has passed they reduce the summer holidays by two weeks, but I expect the schools union will be all over that like a rash in opposition

They won't shorten any holidays. School unions wouldn't necessarily be against it, but there would be lots of legal challenges. We sat down as a staff and worked out whether we'd have enough staff to legally stay open at any point during the holidays and it was a resounding no.

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017

Hells yeah - I didn't become a teacher to not get 7 weeks off in the summer!

SuperSah

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sons university basically just told them it'll be closed until the end of the year - so not going back until September. No idea what they'll do about exams - online isn't ideal, and even lectures isn't great online without good support sessions

My brother is at Warwick in his final year and was told that the final exams are cancelled. Zero alternative offered. He's in limbo.

Schools will close within a couple of days. We've had information from senior officials in London. Staff meetings cancelled and packs are being prepared for kids.

Is this in prep for a lockdown?

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
My brother is at Warwick in his final year and was told that the final exams are cancelled. Zero alternative offered. He's in limbo.

Wtf - so maybe exams when things clear up - but then they'll have been off the boil for weeks/months. What a mare. My son is only in first year but a heck of a way to have your first year at uni - two strikes and now this

iapetus

Oct 26, 2017
They won't shorten any holidays. School unions wouldn't necessarily be against it, but there would be lots of legal challenges. We sat down as a staff and worked out whether we'd have enough staff to legally stay open at any point during the holidays and it was a resounding no.

A lot of teachers are being told they'll be expected to work through the school closures, providing remote teaching and the suchlike. Support staff won't necessarily be getting time off either. Just shortening holidays wouldn't be very palatable. Not to mention the families with holidays booked in advance.

Oct 28, 2017
LA and New York shutting down puts increasing pressure on the government to act considering we have
They're very, very selective about what questions they answer. Yesterday they were asked about schools and they basically said "Yeah we've said all we're going to say on schools, next question"

Why they aren't grilled on their contradictory message on this is beyond me. They could literally announce a lockdown, but insist schools will remain open, and there'd barely be a question from the press about it.

Oct 27, 2017

I got half way on the school run this morning before turning back because my eldest's secondary school are having to alternate entire year groups to not come in due to staffing shortages. Was the Year 9's today, it's the Y10's tomorrow. My youngest's primary school class had 8/23 kids in attendance today. That's in Sheffield.

I've absolutely no doubt they'll close by Friday. Maybe Monday at the latest to get the word fully out over the weekend.

bawjaws

Oct 28, 2017
Heard from a teacher that the word on the grapevine is that Scottish schools are to close at the end of the week.
It feels inevitable, really. Parents are already taking their kids out of school, a lot of pupils are off for self-isolation and once a certain number of the teachers start having to self-isolate then they simply can't continue. A couple of high schools nearby have been telling kids to come in on alternate days this week as there aren't enough staff to teach the full school simultaneously.

Oct 28, 2017
The information I've heard is that it'll be all schools and that some in senior positions are accepting that we won't even be back for the first week after Easter.

We've had a few officials, including Nicola Sturgeon, say any closure would last months. Personally I find that unrealistic, but it does raise a question as to whether school closures would coincide with a lockdown or not.

Cosmonaut X

Oct 26, 2017
Heard from a teacher that the word on the grapevine is that Scottish schools are to close at the end of the week.

Hearing the same from a relative in education here. Staff are being prepped to WFH in some roles, and daily conversations going on with SQA about exams etc., and some schools she's in contact with already pulling S1/S2 pupils out.

Our primary is already running with class sizes half or less than half, and I think the swell of parents simply pulling their kids out is going to be helping force matters.

Oct 28, 2017
Will salary of public sector workers i.e. teachers be impacted if schools are closed for a prolonged period? (not talking about temporary/agency workers).

Fishook

Dec 20, 2017
Working on the railway, and trains are virtually empty apart from peak periods. Most trains are running on time and none cancelled due no staff (on my line). Can't see a full service for much longer. I seem to be doing more refunds than selling tickets.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
Working on the railway, and trains are virtually empty apart from peak periods. Most trains are running on time and none cancelled due no staff (on my line). Can't see a full service for much longer. I seem to be doing more refunds than selling tickets.

Do you work on Thameslink by any chance? I'm taking it tomorrow and nervous about the amount of people.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
Welp, any paid English Heritage sites are closed until the first of May. However, for the time being (that is, until the 20th of this month because this is a pretty day by day situation now), staff are still gonna go in because of maintenance and such, but it may be we shift to either staying at home or skeleton crews. Don't exactly need staff for buses if no-one's getting on.

Bora Horza

Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
I think I have it....sudden developed cough (it has started hurting my lungs too) and I am slowly building a temperature. It ain't a cold because every cold I've ever had the symptoms start in my upper nose....I didn't even have time to panic buy 😔

Trouble is I cant even get tested!!

bawjaws

Oct 28, 2017
We've had a few officials, including Nicola Sturgeon, say any closure would last months. Personally I find that unrealistic, but it does raise a question as to whether school closures would coincide with a lockdown or not.
I think that if schools do close (which is looking a near certainty) then they will definitely be closed for the foreseeable future - probably right up until the start of the next academic year. This situation isn't going away any time soon: I very much doubt that if they need to close schools in mid-March then they'll be reopening them after the Easter holidays.