Oct 26, 2017
twitter.com

RT UK on Twitter

“Benidorm + Coronavirus = Managerial mayhem! As Spain becomes the fourth most infected nation in the world… Some Brits are doing their best to avoid virus precautions and carry on with their holiday as normal. https://t.co/9r79Iz3LjZ”

Brits abroad oi oi

Look how many flew back from Madrid last week. Zero were tested entering the country.

dsk1210

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh UK
Too fucking right I'm obsessed about schools, I've three ppl living in my house with serious conditions including one who is very ill with cystic fibrosis, we also have my 13 year old here who goes to the busiest school in Scotland, what are we supposed to do?
I am going to keep my son off now for 2 weeks, I ain't fucking about during the fastest spreading portion of the pandemic. The schools will probabaly shit in that time anyway.

Axe

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Seems like me they're trying to ease us into a full lockdown rather than spring it on us. I imagine tomorrow some restrictions will start creeping in, and it'll full-on happen by the end of the week.

Yogi

Banned
Nov 10, 2019
Seems like me they're trying to ease us into a full lockdown rather than spring it on us. I imagine tomorrow some restrictions will start creeping in, and it'll full-on happen by the end of the week.

Hope to god that's the case.

Actually if you refuse to follow an attendance order you can be fined £1000.

"I was showing symptoms, Boris told us whole household stays at home."

2 weeks isn't enough but hopefully the schools will be shut down by then. Maybe someone else starts showing symptoms after that. Or the first symptoms were just the flu.

No clue when the NHS is going to crumble though. 2 weeks from now? Maybe getting it now (like right now) is better if you can't isolate for much longer.

Last edited:

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I'm a civil servant and I'm due to get a laptop this week. If Boris is saying to WFH, shouldn't the civil service of all things be setting the example?
No, they are saying we should be setting an example by keeping things business as usual and coming in if we can.

It's complete bollocks, this super high bar gets set for civil servants while we also get thrown under the bus whenever it fucking suits them.

Luckily my team already wfh 2 days a week and my manager convinced hers that we would trial doing 4 days a week for 8 weeks last week. We were scheduled to go in tomorrow for our day in and team meeting but we have put it back to Friday in the hopes of things getting worse so we can get it agreed we can wfh full time for now.

Most of us either fall into the susceptible category of live with people who do and since we work in Westminster we do have a good case for us to stay home so I'm hopeful it will be OK but we shall see.

dean_rcg

Oct 27, 2017
I love how at the end of the press conference the camera pans back to show lots of journalists sitting shoulder to shoulder and walking together etc, farcical.

Slair

Oct 27, 2017
You should be working from home.

I don't think i can, we handle pretty sensitive information so they haven't even put in to place any work from home measures in case of a security breach.

I'm gonna phone the office but there will just be a random manager on with no real authority or information on what I'm supposed to do.

Blizz

Oct 25, 2017
When they say they advise against pubs/clubs should be avoided... it seems they won't be enforcing closures. Just advising against?
So that small nightclubs/pubs can't claim their insurance and pay their workers while in quarantine, this is basically a big 'fuck you' to anyone who works in these places.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
If you aren't testing all the sick people, how do you know they even had it? People are going to catch something else, think it was COVID-19 and then go back to socializing, etc.

Kyari

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a civil servant and I'm due to get a laptop this week. If Boris is saying to WFH, shouldn't the civil service of all things be setting the example?

Massive quantities of the civil service rank and file can't do their job from home, so everything about Boris saying to WFH is absolute arse.

Deleted member 31104

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
The only reason he's not mandating closures is to prevent his cronies in the insurance industry being on the hook for the closures. If the recommendation is not to go the pubs and restaurants and theatres then most won't go but they've not been 'forced' to shut triggering policies.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
If you aren't testing all the sick people, how do you know they even had it? People are going to catch something else, think it was COVID-19 and then go back to socializing, etc.

Yup, it is utterly stupid and incredibly dangerous. People will do exactly like you said, not get tested (because only people admitted to hospital are getting tested), think they've had it and recovered ("it was just like the flu!") then ACTUALLY get it down the line and pass it to even more people!.

Garfield

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 31, 2018
We are out for my sons birthday. (I know but he does not understand) anyway. Big restaurant only 2 tables here. Dead as a door nail

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The only reason he's not mandating closures is to prevent his cronies in the insurance industry being on the hook for the closures. If the recommendation is not to go the pubs and restaurants and theatres then most won't go but they've not been 'forced' to shut triggering policies.

We had a Mother's Day meal booked at a pub for my wife. I'm not going to bother asking for the deposit back - hopefully try and help a little.

Kyari

Oct 25, 2017
No, they are saying we should be setting an example by keeping things business as usual and coming in if we can.

It's complete bollocks, this super high bar gets set for civil servants while we also get thrown under the bus whenever it fucking suits them.

Luckily my team already wfh 2 days a week and my manager convinced hers that we would trial doing 4 days a week for 8 weeks last week. We were scheduled to go in tomorrow for our day in and team meeting but we have put it back to Friday in the hopes of things getting worse so we can get it agreed we can wfh full time for now.

Most of us either fall into the susceptible category of live with people who do and since we work in Westminster we do have a good case for us to stay home so I'm hopeful it will be OK but we shall see.

I work on a site with thousands of civil service staff who just have not, and never will, be given the opportunity to work from home. There aren't enough laptops/surface pros for primarily clerical staff and/or policy dictates the larger departments are made of staff not of a high enough grade to be allowed their use. Or the information being dealt with is too secure to take home. Or they value phone coverage in contact areas too highly to allow it.

Take your pick of excuses but the lower grade civil service jobs are basically being told to get absolutely fucked.

GrizzleBoy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I like that we're not even testing now so people can't compare numbers reliable. how's that for some nice honest PR spin.
I think the way to take that is that control has already been lost and theres no point tearing because the virus is just out and spreading everywhere uncontrollably at this point.

Testing is just pointless, is basically what they're saying.

Were way past being able.to control anything.

brain_stew

Oct 30, 2017
The whole 'don't call 111 unless it's a real emergency' thing is just so... weird to process. Like, the whole point of that service was to cover non-urgent medical concerns, and even that is now being treated as it must only be for essential needs.

Our infrastructure is increasingly fucked

I'm the resource planning manager for one of the 111 providers, you have no idea the amount of pressure that has been put on the service over the last week. Those that have mild symptoms and have been told to self isolate aren't going to receive any more advice than they can already get from the website. By calling the service you are preventing those with legitimate needs from having their calls answered.

Newman96

Oct 27, 2017
A friend I know who works for Virgin is being told they have to take 8 weeks unpaid leave or redundancy as it stands.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Excellent, so I have to shield myself for 3 months because the government can't be fucked to do anything.
I'm wondering how long until schools just follow the WHO and ignore the government. Our uni got an angry letter from the government cause they ignored their shit instructions
Schools will be even more hesitant to shut than the government themselves. There's not a chance in hell one will close before the others, because it will severely compromise their place on league tables. The data means an immense amount to schools keeping open these days, as tragic as that is. If it's all of them at once, that's one thing, but nobody's going to jump first. It's very similar with snow, headteachers will ring round local contemporaries to check if they're closing.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
I'm the resource planning manager for one of the 111 providers, you have no idea the amount of pressure that has been put on the service over the last week. Those that have mild symptoms and have been told to self isolate aren't going to receive any more advice than they can already get from the website. By calling the service you are preventing those with legitimate needs from having their calls answered.

Right. That we've gotten to this point - and put folks like you in such a position - is a sign of how badly prepared we are for an event like this.

Also to you and your coworkers, I really do wish you the best through this. Please look after yourselves as you look after the rest of us

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
Schools will be even more hesitant to shut than the government themselves. There's not a chance in hell one will close before the others, because it will severely compromise their place on league tables. The data means an immense amount to schools keeping open these days, as tragic as that is. If it's all of them at once, that's one thing, but nobody's going to jump first. It's very similar with snow, headteachers will ring round local contemporaries to check if they're closing.

True, but at a certain point if enough teachers aren't in school they close anyway - it's untenable due to numbers. Our deputy heads wife was off today as her youngest has a fever, so he should be off for 14 days now along with his wife.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I work on a site with thousands of civil service staff who just have not, and never will, be given the opportunity to work from home. There aren't enough laptops/surface pros for primarily clerical staff and/or policy dictates the larger departments are made of staff not of a high enough grade to be allowed their use. Or the information being dealt with is too secure to take home. Or they value phone coverage in contact areas too highly to allow it.

Take your pick of excuses but the lower grade civil service jobs are basically being told to get absolutely fucked.
Yeah it is terrible for some staff not only because of those reasons but also for many senior managers they see wfh as some jolly and don't trust staff to be at home.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017

Luther's going to punch this virus in the goddamn throat
Yeah it is terrible for some staff not only because of those reasons but also for many senior managers they see wfh as some jolly and don't trust staff to be at home.
Places like this are going to die off once everything's back to normal. People won't forget this, and employers acting like callous assholes during this unprecedented crisis is pretty unforgivable.

Oct 29, 2017
twitter.com

RT UK on Twitter

“Benidorm + Coronavirus = Managerial mayhem! As Spain becomes the fourth most infected nation in the world… Some Brits are doing their best to avoid virus precautions and carry on with their holiday as normal. https://t.co/9r79Iz3LjZ”

Brits abroad oi oi
Fucking piece of shit Guiri, I hope when they fuck off back to the UK they don't bring anything with them.