• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Aselith

Oct 27, 2017
America is incredibly complacent. 40%+ of us don't even vote. And yeah I know that it is by design, but who do we allow it to continue?

Why is that bad? Would you rather we force even more people that don't know shit about what they're voting for to vote? You can't force people to care, you can only force them to check a box.

Pooh

Oct 25, 2017
The Hundred Acre Wood
I mean, sustained massive protests have resulted in heads of state stepping down in other democracies.

We've held the largest national protests ever in this country several times now. Considering the economy is doing well and employment is up, that's remarkable. Typically "sustained massive protests" happen because a country is in severe economic crisis and you have tons of unemployed people willing to protest all day every day.

So I'm not sure what you want Americans to do. We're already voting in Democrats and taking seats back even in hugely Republican areas. Elections are coming in November. We have multiple investigations going on into the president and pretty much everyone in his orbit.

So tell me, what EXACTLY do you guys want Americans to do?

Trojita

Oct 25, 2017
How so? The deal has many holes for Iran, its actually kind of pathetic that the USA would agree to such terms.

First, the plan limits Iran's access to uranium until 2025 to 2030. After that, these uranium protections expire and they are free to do whatever the hell they want.
Doesn't that just mean another deal would be made? Agreements can have end dates that then get readjusted. Your complaint makes no sense. We broke the agreement without sufficient evidence provided why.

Gurgelhals

Oct 27, 2017
Was this agreement ratified by the Senate as a treaty? What gives the President the power to just back out of these things? Or is it another instance where Congress has neutered itself?

AFAIK it wasn't, because, as with anything coming out of the Obama administration, congressional Republicans outright refused to do any of the kind. Actually, it was considered an achievement by the Obama administration that Congress didn't go ahead and *veto* the deal.

So yeah, I guess that's why it's the same with all those executive orders from the Obama era: Doesn't need congressional approval to implement, but, unfortunately, also doesn't need it to pull out.

DoggosPuppersWoofers

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We've held the largest national protests ever in this country several times now. Considering the economy is doing well and employment is up, that's remarkable. Typically "sustained massive protests" happen because a country is in severe economic crisis and you have tons of unemployed people willing to protest all day every day.

So I'm not sure what you want Americans to do. We're already voting in Democrats and taking seats back even in hugely Republican areas. Elections are coming in November. We have multiple investigations going on into the president and pretty much everyone in his orbit.

Something with the sustained power of this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016–17_South_Korean_protests

Aselith

Oct 27, 2017
Doesn't that just mean another deal would be made? Agreements can have end dates that then get readjusted. Your complaint makes no sense. We broke the agreement without sufficient evidence provided why.

Of course. The deal already in place could even be extended with the promise of reimposed sanctions. That point is really really really really really dumb.

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I mean, sustained massive protests have resulted in heads of state stepping down in other democracies.

It is hard to do in a country of 300 million people though, and I don't see Trump stepping down just because of massive protests either.

We actually have had massive protests though, the problem is they aren't specifically directed at Trump stepping down, which is dumb.

People kinda have jobs they need to work, so sub-stained national protests literally don't work unless you expect people to give up their livelihoods. And as someone else already mentioned, a lot of "substained" national protest where heads of states are removed are directly tied to massive economic downturns where people can literally do nothing but protest all the time.

If Trump axes Mueller you'll see a wide national outrage and massive protests that probably last a long time. But the actual politics of how things work with congress kinda go down the same road where the only way for him to be removed is impeachment or voting him out.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We need to protest on a sustained level so that it actually cripples our own economy for anyone to notice, and arguably that isn't even a good thing to do, and it's hard to convince anyone to do that if they are going to lose their job over it.

In France y'all get like 30 days of PTO a year. We don't. Even if you have a job with "decent" benefits, unless you've been working there for like 30 years.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Maybe protest for Trump to step down directly instead of protesting for a day for other cause based issues. And do women's March level numbers every month, specifically with the stated purpose of trump resigning. I wouldn't even call a "March for xyz" a protest of anything. It's a March to promote a cause, not a protest to get rid of a toxic politician.

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY

Do you honestly think these Republican senators will actually give a fuck about a protest? They've doubled down on Trump's absolute bullshit by doing absolutely nothing so far, thousands of people in the streets aren't going to change their minds. The only thing we can actually do at this point is vote them out and change from there.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Ehh we have ways to take back our country and the process is well under way.

Not to mention that we have protests on the regular. Im not sure what are not so vaguely hinting at with this bullshit but our democracy is fine despite the recent attacks.
"Process is well under way"

You guys are just naive if you think the Mueller probe will end the Trump presidency.

Let's see what happened since he's president:

He won with the support of a foreign power -> there is a investigation in the house and congress -> nothing happens
He pulled out of a hugely strategic and economic benefical trade pact -> Nothing happened (Some democrats were even cheering on him for it)
He pulled out of a treaty to combat the greatest threat to the planet -> Nothing happened
He and his gang are so corrupt it's basically a open secret he works only to enrich himself -> Nothing happened
He tries to end ACA -> Nothing happened
He guts public funding and give himself and his rich friends a tax break -> Nothing happened
He literally called nazis "very fine people" -> Nothing happened

For a country your size there have the only protests worthwhile are the womens marchm the science march and the march for our lives.

Even if Mueller finds something, are you really that naive to think he is gonna get impeached by the people who are in bed with him? And what stops someone worse to run in 2020 and win again?

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
Why is that bad? Would you rather we force even more people that don't know shit about what they're voting for to vote? You can't force people to care, you can only force them to check a box.

And that is why America is rapidly declining and will soon no longer be able to exert influence as it pleases. Our government doesn't care to do right by us or the international community because we don't care enough to make them answer to us.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
The notion that sustained protests would somehow pressure Trump into resigning is insane. Are some of you new to Donald Trump? He lives in his own bubble reality. He is completely imperceptible to public pressure because in his word it's all fake news and people actually do love him, or at least the people who matter do. Everyone else is paid protesters or blue-state voters who don't like him anyway.

You can't pressure somebody who has no shame.

rambis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Of course. The deal already in place could even be extended with the promise of reimposed sanctions. That point is really really really really really dumb.
Trumpers generally don't understand logic and therefore can't understand if something is done.

Trump backed out of a deal thats been standing almost two years because "we can't trust Iran" despite their compliance. And can't articulate one material reason why. And to Trumpers this is just fine...

DoggosPuppersWoofers

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Do you honestly think these Republican senators will actually give a fuck about a protest? They've doubled down on Trump's absolute bullshit by doing absolutely nothing so far, thousands of people in the streets aren't going to change their minds. The only thing we can actually do at this point is vote them out and change from there.

If 2 million angry Americans did weekly marches on D.C. I think they would care.

rambis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

You guys are just naive if you think the Mueller probe will end the Trump presidency.

He won with the support of a foreign power -> there is a investigation in the house and congress -> nothing happens
He pulled out of a hugely strategic and economic benefical trade pact -> Nothing happened (Some democrats were even cheering on him for it)
He pulled out of a treaty to combat the greatest threat to the planet -> Nothing happened
He and his gang are so corrupt it's basically a open secret he works only to enrich himself -> Nothing happened
He guts public funding and give himself and his rich friends a tax break -> Nothing happened

For a country your size there have the only protests worthwhile are the womens marchm the science march and the march for our lives.

Even if Mueller finds something, are you really that naive to think he is gonna get impeached by the people who are in bed with him? And what stops someone worse to run in 2020 and win again?
Dude there is so much wrong with this post that I'm not going to bother anymore. You clearly don't understand anything you've listed here. What im talking about has shit to do with Mueller.

Aselith

Oct 27, 2017

Nothing happened except the enormous blue wave that has already started and the constant digrace and resignation of his closest allies and the styming of his agenda by his own party and the resignation of a huge number of his own parties senators with many leaders not even bothering to try in the new election cycle.

Nothing has happened.

Things are looking pretty good.

CrunchyB

Oct 29, 2017
This is such a shitshow, the USA is led by a mad man and the average American is totally apathetic about it. The EU isn't going to risk the transatlantic alliance over ffing Iran, so we will fold.
This helps absolutely no one, except fucking Putin.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017

23 people have been indicted as a result of the Mueller investigation. I think that qualifies as "something".

Nola

Oct 29, 2017
If 2 million angry Americans did weekly marches on D.C. I think they would care.
We had people lighting themselves on fire in DC during the Vietnam war....That war spanned two terms, two presidents, and nearly two decades.

I'm not saying people shouldn't be out there protesting more, they should, but the idea it will deeply influence politicians has a spotty history at best.

It hasn't gotten Republicans to pass gun control, it hasn't stopped them sabotaging the ACA markets, it hasn't stopped them from breaking off from the Paris Accords and abandoning the already paltry attempts to address Climate Change. Which might also be an argument for how non-responsive our democracy can be at times.

rambis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nothing happened except the enormous blue wave that has already started and the constant digrace and resignation of his closest allies and the styming of his agenda by his own party and the resignation of a huge number of his own parties senators with many leaders not even bothering to try in the new election cycle.

Nothing has happened.

Lol the ACA repeal failed with Republican control of all three branches, yet "nothing has happened". I can't anymore.

OP
OP
GaimeGuy

GaimeGuy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (5 Days): Advocating targeted violence.
The only thing that would work on republicans is mass targeted violence against them and their families. I'm convinced that fear for their physical well being is the only thing that would get through to them.

That's how far their higher order thinking has deteriorated. That's how little they care.

Protest? They dismiss it all as fake. They are evil.

I call my GOP rep every week. Not once have I gotten a sincere response that addressedthe points I raised, no matter how firmly I present and limit the topic of discussion.

And they've been this way for as long as I can remember, in my 30 years on this earth. They don't care. They never have

DoggosPuppersWoofers

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We had people lighting themselves on fire in DC during the Vietnam war....That war spanned two terms, two presidents, and nearly two decades.

I'm not saying people shouldn't be out there protesting more, they should, but the idea it will deeply influence politicians has a spotty history at best.

It hasn't gotten Republicans to pass gun control, it hasn't stopped them sabotaging the ACA markets, it hasn't stopped them from breaking off from the Paris Accords and abandoning the already paltry attempts to address Climate Change.

Okeedok. Let's just sit here and take it.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Dude there is so much wrong with this post that I'm not going to bother anymore. You clearly don't understand anything you've listed here. What im talking about has shit to do with Mueller.
So you have no counter arguments? How is your democracy fine when it is more occupied in serving the upper 1% rather than the people?

Nothing has happened.

Ah yes the famous blue wave which will stop Trump from doing more harm and then have a even worse GOP president in 8-16 years.

You guys need to solve the underlying problems rather than hoping democrats fix everything the GOP broke the term before.

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The only thing that would work on republicans is mass targeted violence against them and their families. I'm convinced that fear for their physical well being is the only thing that would get through to them.

That's how far their higher order thinking has deteriorated. That's how little they care.

I call my GOP rep every week. Not once have I gotten a sincere response that addressedthe points I raised, no matter how firmly I present and limit the topic of discussion.

And they've been this way for as long as I can remember, in my 30 years on this earth. They don't care. They never have

Settle down.

Nola

Oct 29, 2017
Lol the ACA repeal failed with Republican control of all three branches, yet "nothing has happened". I can't anymore.
It failed in that form.

But the underlying sabotage has continued unabated. Through the tax bill, through executive orders, through the courts, through state actions, through technocratic sabotage, etc.

Panic Freak

Oct 26, 2017

The Democrats may take the house back this fall due to all those things you listed. If not for some historically bad timing, Democrats may have been in position to take the Senate too.

Aaron Stack

Banned
Nov 13, 2017

This is how you get on an FBI watchlist.