• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Playing Spider-Man on my new 77cx. It's so unbelievable. I can't wait for miles morales at 60fps. Damnnnn

UaSK502.jpg

Jelly. I have my eye on one as well. Wanna see what BF deals I can get.

Myself

Nov 4, 2017
Does anyone know how the TCL model numbers map in NZ? I see a TV like this

TCL 65P715 65" 4K Ultra HD LED Smart TV

With TCL keep the competition on their toes with their latest installation. Grab a bargain on one today at JB Hi-Fi

and the only info I can find seems to say that the series is "715" so does that map to a "Series7" elsewhere in the world?

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017

Man I do not understand Samsung's TV engineering philosophy. No matter how many of these videos I watch it doesn't really seem like the engineering changes much whether you're talking Samsung, or Sony, or LG year per year. So I guess you have to choose what method you like. Samsung is good in some aspects, but then you have scenes like at 16:14 where he plays Star Wars Episode 2 (the movie) in game mode to show off local dimming - which apparently in game mode, on the Samsung local dimming is barely engaged. But then you also have the aggressive local dimming outside this mode that crushes detail like every time he shows off that starfield scene in Gravity, yet there are also scenes that are artificially overbrightened which makes certain things that should pop more end up popping less (see 13:15).

Smokey

Oct 25, 2017

Man I do not understand Samsung's TV engineering philosophy. No matter how many of these videos I watch it doesn't really seem like the engineering changes much whether you're talking Samsung, or Sony, or LG year per year. So I guess you have to choose what method you like. Samsung is good in some aspects, but then you have scenes like at 16:14 where he plays Star Wars Episode 2 (the movie) in game mode to show off local dimming - which apparently in game mode, on the Samsung local dimming is barely engaged. But then you also have the aggressive local dimming outside this mode that crushes detail like every time he shows off that starfield scene in Gravity, yet there are also scenes that are artificially overbrightened which makes certain things that should pop more end up popping less (see 13:15).

The very small bezels make the Samsung TV look much bigger than the Sony. I actually thought it was the 80'' version.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks! I too often turn my TV so it seems this is a perfect replacement for the stand that the cx comes with.
Exactly. I bought it for the same reason the default stand is too small and my soundbar was hiding a bit the tv. It takes around 15/20m to make up from the pieces you get and you need two people to put the tv on it

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The Hisense H8G is $699 for the 65" and apparently is a really good TV according to reviews. It's a VA panel so be aware that viewing angles won't be great.
Thanks for the recommendation, I've had someone else mention this TV so I took it as a good sign and went with it.

Should be here in a couple of weeks :] Thoughts on the 4 year warranty for $100? I've never had to use one on a TV before, but it has been a while since I've upgraded.

R2RD

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 6, 2018
Thanks for the recommendation, I've had someone else mention this TV so I took it as a good sign and went with it.

Should be here in a couple of weeks :] Thoughts on the 4 year warranty for $100? I've never had to use one on a TV before, but it has been a while since I've upgraded.
I've never used one of those either but it doesn't seem like a bad deal. I'm also not from the US so I don't have experience with warranties there either.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
Oh interesting; Thanks for the heads up. I do have a couple open USB ports on the front of my PC that I can use. My worry then though would be if it would mess with the Xbone controller wireless dongle signal? That is the most likely candidate for also being plugged into the front alongside the keyboard dongle.
I would def hold out for the K63 wireless and lapboard it is worth it. I LOVE the thing, it's incredible. Have the Dongle plugged into my front usb port, right next to the dongle for my G502 wireless and I haven't had any issues. It's seriously amazing, if mine broke and I couldn't get another I would probably cry

Edit: the keyboard and lapboard bundles is on amazon for $150 it's in stock. Just buy it you'll love it

Orion514

Oct 25, 2018
Illinois
I would def hold out for the K63 wireless and lapboard it is worth it. I LOVE the thing, it's incredible. Have the Dongle plugged into my front usb port, right next to the dongle for my G502 wireless and I haven't had any issues. It's seriously amazing, if mine broke and I couldn't get another I would probably cry

Edit: the keyboard and lapboard bundles is on amazon for $150 it's in stock. Just buy it you'll love it

I pulled the trigger on it, thanks for the heads up! Wont get here until next week, but can't wait.

It's like a whole new gaming world opened up to me with the CX supporting gsync and eventually 120fps. Guess my next thing to save up for has to be RTX 3080 lol

Jun 10, 2018
Just ordered a 55" Sony X900H. Should be here Tuesday. Hopefully they release the firmware update for HDMI 2.1 before the Series X releases. I have a feeling it'll release soon with Ampere on the way.

Cap10Deku

Dec 2, 2017
Seattle, Wa
Any good setting changed for sports? With Football back today and my first OLED (CX), not sure if i should keep using the Bright Room setting or Sport setting (which seems super bright), or maybe something totally different?

Branson

Oct 27, 2017

Can confirm. I have this combo and it's awesome.

Smokey

Oct 25, 2017

Can confirm. I have this combo and it's awesome.

I know it's intended for the K63, but it's such an old keyboard at this point. Will any tenkeyless KB work with the board?

Kotze282

Oct 27, 2017
So I'm in the market for a new TV for PS5. I'm on a budget so 500€ to max 800€. That's not a lot so I know I won't get an OLED. Only things I really need are 4K and decent HDR. (My roommate bought a cheap Samsung 4K TV with really bad HDR so I'm kinda scared about that.)
I'm in Germany and looking for 55 inches. Don't care about other functionality as I'm gonna slap a chromecast on the thing and call it a day anyways.

Amazon recommends this thing, but I really have no clue

Does anyone have some directions?
Anything else I need to look for the TV to be "PS5-proof"? (HDMI versions, VRR that sort of thing? don't know anything about it)

Deleted member 35478

User-requested account closure
Banned
Dec 6, 2017
Looks like TCL is coming out of nowhere with QD-OLED this year.

youtu.be

TCL QD-OLED Coming - Samsung Dumbfounded? [TCL update to 2021]

TCL QD-OLED is coming this year and bringing down the thunder on Samsung! YES, let's wake up these complacent TV brands with some more cutting edge stuff bec...

Super curious about these tv's, JOLED uses RGB oled vs LG WOLED so that's cool. Curious if the ink jet printing process for oled can improve uniformity, like banding and tinting, and ultimately if it's more than a budget version of WOLED.

CNSBarry

Oct 27, 2017
Are there any decent 3m HDMI 2.1 Cables available yet (UK)? Can't seem to find any big brand ones and not sure on the other brands. Wanting to do my cable management now so i can just slot the new consoles in when they come out, but if i have to wait i'll have to wait don't really want to secure all my cables now and then have to dig them out in 2 months to put new ones in.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Super curious about these tv's, JOLED uses RGB oled vs LG WOLED so that's cool. Curious if the ink jet printing process for oled can improve uniformity, like banding and tinting, and ultimately if it's more than a budget version of WOLED.
LG's WOLED with its WRGB pixel structure (which is not required) is a compromise to make it easier to produce.
The white subpixel dilutes bright saturated colors, and compromises color accuracy in real-world images (rather than test patterns).

RGB OLED is better than WRGB, but has its own set of drawbacks: it may not be as bright, and you have uneven wear across subpixels due to the different materials.

QD-OLED designs should be using a single OLED emitter - like WOLED - but uses quantum dots to transform the light from blue (or UV) to red and green, rather than color filters.
This is important because color filters work by blocking light, while quantum dots transform the wavelength of light.
So color filters (WOLED) reduce the brightness of the display - requiring the use of a white subpixel. QD-OLED has the potential to be much brighter - so it should not need that white subpixel.
Using quantum dots should also move the light emission to the very top of the stack so it's right near the surface of the glass - which means that it should have considerably better viewing angles. The only issue is that if you're using a design with blue OLEDs and red/green color filters, that blue OLED material may be unfiltered (like white is on WRGB) - so blue won't have the same wide viewing angle as red/green, and it may not be the ideal blue.

Deleted member 35478

User-requested account closure
Banned
Dec 6, 2017
LG's WOLED with its WRGB pixel structure (which is not required) is a compromise to make it easier to produce.
The white subpixel dilutes bright saturated colors, and compromises color accuracy in real-world images (rather than test patterns).

RGB OLED is better than WRGB, but has its own set of drawbacks: it may not be as bright, and you have uneven wear across subpixels due to the different materials.

QD-OLED designs should be using a single OLED emitter - like WOLED - but uses quantum dots to transform the light from blue (or UV) to red and green, rather than color filters.
This is important because color filters work by blocking light, while quantum dots transform the wavelength of light.
So color filters (WOLED) reduce the brightness of the display - requiring the use of a white subpixel. QD-OLED has the potential to be much brighter - so it should not need that white subpixel.
Using quantum dots should also move the light emission to the very top of the stack so it's right near the surface of the glass - which means that it should have considerably better viewing angles. The only issue is that if you're using a design with blue OLEDs and red/green color filters, that blue OLED material may be unfiltered (like white is on WRGB) - so blue won't have the same wide viewing angle as red/green, and it may not be the ideal blue.

I believe the JOLED, TCL sets, will be QD OLED, so RGB QD. Regardless, seems promising, but it all comes down to how well the panels hold up against burn in (burn out) and then if TCL has decent processing, which they typically don't,

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
https://www.t3.com/us/news/ps5-read...problem-with-one-of-the-big-next-gen-features

The problem is that when using current forms of VRR (available on Xbox One X and PCs) with LG's 2019 and 2020 OLED TVs, people have noticed that the dark areas of the screen (which OLED TVs are famed for showcasing well) sometimes look washed out and more grey with VRR turned on.

Other people sometimes spotted flickering in dark areas of the screen with VRR turned on.

In a statement to Forbes, LG said: "LG Electronics is aware there can be situations when luminance changes in dark scenes with gaming content in VRR mode. The changes may look more visible than they are on LCD panel devices because the OLED black is basically deeper, which makes brightness differences seen to the eyes in the low grey area appear greater."

anyone able to chime in on the severity of this "issue"? is it something that may not even be a problem on next-gen system's implementation of VRR?

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Are there any decent 3m HDMI 2.1 Cables available yet (UK)? Can't seem to find any big brand ones and not sure on the other brands. Wanting to do my cable management now so i can just slot the new consoles in when they come out, but if i have to wait i'll have to wait don't really want to secure all my cables now and then have to dig them out in 2 months to put new ones in.

I'd wait until at least these new NVidia cards are out so people can test that they work. None of them have been tested in the real world yet, so noone can really comment.

Lazybob

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Y
I'd wait until at least these new NVidia cards are out so people can test that they work. None of them have been tested in the real world yet, so noone can really comment.
Yeah this, was looking into this stuff last weekend and the conclusion was to wait. Nothing is certified. Some may work anyway but others may be rip offs no one could confirm yet since no HDMI 2.1 sources have been available. Maybe the state of this stuff is better in a few months when people have tested 3080s with some stuff as well as new consoles.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
So I'm in the market for a new TV for PS5. I'm on a budget so 500€ to max 800€. That's not a lot so I know I won't get an OLED. Only things I really need are 4K and decent HDR. (My roommate bought a cheap Samsung 4K TV with really bad HDR so I'm kinda scared about that.)
I'm in Germany and looking for 55 inches. Don't care about other functionality as I'm gonna slap a chromecast on the thing and call it a day anyways.

Amazon recommends this thing, but I really have no clue

Does anyone have some directions?
Anything else I need to look for the TV to be "PS5-proof"? (HDMI versions, VRR that sort of thing? don't know anything about it)

That's the previous model (2019) of Sony's entry level model. Honestly, I'd look for something else.

That TV is mediocre at best. It has pretty bad HDR (it's super dim) and also awful contrast. It's an IPS panel (like the one you'd find on most non-OLED phones), so it has OK viewing angles, but everything else is pretty subpar.

The 2020 model of that TV (the XH80 as it's called in Europe) is better; though still not as good as FALD (full-array Local Dimming) VA panels, such as the XH90 or the mid-range QLED TVs.

There's a bunch of TVs in your price range that will offer decent HDR: TCL, , Hisense and Samsung all have models in that price range that are pretty decent, actually. Unfortunately, a lot of manufacturers have different model numbers on their european models so it's kinda hard finding like-for-like equivalents in Amazon.de. I think the Hisense H9G, which has amazing HDR, is called U8QF in Europe.

I'm not sure about pricing in Germany so those TVs might or might not fit within your budget.

As far as future proofing goes, HDMI 2.1 is important for next-gen consoles since both the Xbox and PS5 will support features like Variable Refresh Rate and 4K@120Hz, but most mid-range TVs don't support it, other than the Sony XH90 or the Samsung Q70T.

Last edited:

NoWayOut

Oct 27, 2017
I've been reading that the CX has a problem with raised black levels when using HDR or VRR. Is this true?

There is an issue with Dolby Vision and in some cases in Game Mode with VRR. Both are way exaggerated by "purist AV enthusiasts" who spend more time pixel peeping, looking a color and test patterns on their TV than watching actual content. Are the CX series perfect? No, no current or future TV set will ever be. LG will try to patch those in future updates, but there is no guarantee they will be completely gone or won't create new issues.

I've been playing on my 55CX for a couple of weeks with both consoles and PC, using G-Sync and I have yet to notice the VRR problem. It has been confirmed so it exists, but it's not noticeable all the time. The DV raised blacks can be mostly addressed with proper calibration if you have the proper tools or are willing to pay a professional. Otherwise the layman workaround is to reduce brightness from 50 to 49, but that will alter the "artistic integrity" of DV content according to those AV purists, so beware ;)

In the end pick your poison. Buy the TV set you can afford and better suit your needs, knowing that technical issues will be present no matter what you pick.

Kotze282

Oct 27, 2017
That's the previous model (2019) of Sony's entry level model. Honestly, I'd look for something else.

That TV is mediocre at best. It has pretty bad HDR (it's super dim) and also awful contrast. It's an IPS panel (like the one you'd find on most non-OLED phones), so it has OK viewing angles, but everything else is pretty subpar.

The 2020 model of that TV (the XH80 as it's called in Europe) is better; though still not as good as FALD (full-array Local Dimming) VA panels, such as the XH90 or the mid-range QLED TVs.

There's a bunch of TVs in your price range that will offer decent HDR: TCL, , Hisense and Samsung all have models in that price range that are pretty decent, actually. Unfortunately, a lot of manufacturers have different model numbers on their european models so it's kinda hard finding like-for-like equivalents in Amazon.de. I think the Hisense H9G, which has amazing HDR, is called U8QF in Europe.

I'm not sure about pricing in Germany so those TVs might or might not fit within your budget.

As far as future proofing goes, HDMI 2.1 is important for next-gen consoles since both the Xbox and PS5 will support features like Variable Refresh Rate and 4K@120Hz, but most mid-range TVs don't support it, other than the Sony XH90 or the Samsung Q70T.

Thanks, appreciate it!

woo

Nov 11, 2017
I have forgotten my OLED tv knowledge so am wondering how my LG C8 will cope with the black bars for Super Mario 64 in the upcoming 3D All Stars. Am I risking burn-in?

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
There is an issue with Dolby Vision and in some cases in Game Mode with VRR. Both are way exaggerated by "purist AV enthusiasts" who spend more time pixel peeping, looking a color and test patterns on their TV than watching actual content. Are the CX series perfect? No, no current or future TV set will ever be. LG will try to patch those in future updates, but there is no guarantee they will be completely gone or won't create new issues.

I've been playing on my 55CX for a couple of weeks with both consoles and PC, using G-Sync and I have yet to notice the VRR problem. It has been confirmed so it exists, but it's not noticeable all the time. The DV raised blacks can be mostly addressed with proper calibration if you have the proper tools or are willing to pay a professional. Otherwise the layman workaround is to reduce brightness from 50 to 49, but that will alter the "artistic integrity" of DV content according to those AV purists, so beware ;)

In the end pick your poison. Buy the TV set you can afford and better suit your needs, knowing that technical issues will be present no matter what you pick.
Yep it's not a deal breaker. But in the few games I've played where the VRR flicker is really pronounced, I do have to disable GSYNC as I find it too distracting.

Orion514

Oct 25, 2018
Illinois
Does anyone have a good solution for headphones audio in a couch PC gaming setup? Mainly for when I'm using kb+m. When I have Xbone controller connected wirelessly I assume I can just use the audio jack on the controller.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
Does anyone have a good solution for headphones audio in a couch PC gaming setup? Mainly for when I'm using kb+m. When I have Xbone controller connected wirelessly I assume I can just use the audio jack on the controller.
I use my playstation gold headset with the dongle and it works pretty well, occasionally I get interference though

Last edited:

RomanceDawn

Teacher of Superheroines
Oct 29, 2017
Los Angeles
Woke up this morning, picked up my practice sword and started swinging it. Hit my hip, sword goes flying hilt first into the tv. $3000 gone. It's a Sony, 65 inches don't remember the model.

Whats good these days? I just want a beautiful picture and something that will allow me to play video games with little to no delay.