Anumariku

Jan 8, 2020
I feel like the LED vs Plasma warring was due to the fact that both sets covered the whole price range. There were $1k plasmas and $1k LCD's (which begs the question why you would buy the LCD :p). So, people were justifying buying sets at all price ranges. But now it's you buy an LCD up to the high end where you can go OLED or LCD. So a lot of the noise is cutdown as most people buy an LCD. Since, that's what they can afford.

So overall it's "less complicated" in terms of what display tech to buy. But, now it's all the extra stuff like HDMI version, port count, ARC vs eARC, smart apps/TV OS and HDR versions/quality/NITs.

Absolutely. I always start with distance (size) as a priority first as the distance is usually invariable for most people's setups, then figure out your budget, and get the best TV at that size with the most features that are important to you that you can for that size & budget.

I hope you enjoy whichever TV you end up going with! Good luck :)

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like the LED vs Plasma warring was due to the fact that both sets covered the whole price range. There were $1k plasmas and $1k LCD's (which begs the question why you would buy the LCD :p). So, people were justifying buying sets at all price ranges. But now it's you buy an LCD up to the high end where you can go OLED or LCD. So a lot of the noise is cutdown as most people buy an LCD. Since, that's what they can afford.

So overall it's "less complicated" in terms of what display tech to buy. But, now it's all the extra stuff like HDMI version, port count, ARC vs eARC, smart apps/TV OS and HDR versions/quality/NITs.

Some time has passed but I feel like there was an evolution in price. Regardless, as a fan of the tech I've enjoyed many years of reading about all the different displays. I remember when OLED was like a magical impossible unicorn when reading AVS. Now we're getting Vizio sets.

At one point we had sales people at big box stores telling people they had to refill the plasma gas periodically if they went that route. There was some batshit crazy stuff for a while.

DOTDASHDOT

Helios Abandoned. Atropos Conquered.
Oct 26, 2017
So Dolby Vision is coming to XSX/S in 2021 then, be interesting to see how that pans out, especially across different TV's, other than LG, I'm not sure who supports DV gaming.......Congratulations B7 owners, you deserve it :)

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
DHL finally delivered my 55" X900H and...

+
  • It's eye-searingly bright, at least compared to my Plasma. I had to turn it down to like 15 to even stand looking at it in a dark room.
  • 4K movies and TV are stunning. I didn't think the difference would be that stark, but it is. 4K YouTube looks great as well.
  • AndroidTV is really cool. Hey, I can play the horrible version of FFVI I have on my phone on it!
  • I'd only seen HDR on my phone before getting this, and seeing this video at 2160p60fps with HDR is transformative, to say the least.
  • When Local Dimming kicks in, blacks are blacker than my plasma (letterbox bars, static black screens, for example)
  • I love that it has a Chromecast built-in that works exactly as a regular Chromecast, but that can do 4K60 with HDR. My second gen Chromecast was getting really long in the tooth.

-
  • Blooming is really intense.
  • Colors look very dim on Game Mode. The whole thing seems to take a hit when using Gamemode. I simply can't get it to look 'right'. I tried some Fall Guys and Dishonored 2, which are the games I've been currently playing and they just look worse than my plasma. They look washed out and lifeless. Dishonored 2 in particular looked great on my plasma: bold and contrasty. Here, it looks flat. Any tips to make the best out of game mode?
  • I tried some RDR2 to check out the HDR, and the revolver in the bottom right corner during loading screens blooms like there's no tomorrow.
Overall I'd say 'Custom' mode with some tweaks works great for content such as Movies and YouTube, and I'm disappointed by the visual sacrifices in Game Mode. My Plasma might be old, but it didn't need no game mode for low latency inputs, and it had an intangible warmth (not related to how it turned my room into a furnace, I don't miss that) that LCDs can't match. It was vibrant without being saturated.

If you have an X900H, how did you set up Game Mode?

Jokerman

May 16, 2020
An OLED will be bright compared to a plasma! It is weird you are having issues with Game mode as my AF9 looked great at default.

Rogue74

Nov 13, 2017
Miami, FL
DHL finally delivered my 55" X900H and...

• I tried some RDR2 to check out the HDR, and the revolver in the bottom right corner during loading screens blooms like there's no tomorrow.

I can't speak to the other issues you are having in Game mode since I don't own the TV. But from all the research I've done looking for my next TV, I know that Sony sets disable local dimming in loading screens and menu screens in all picture settings. It's just the way they work. Once you get into the actual content, things go back to normal. It apparently also happens in Netflix menu screens, for example. It's a quirk, not really a defect.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
I can't speak to the other issues you are having in Game mode since I don't own the TV. But from all the research I've done looking for my next TV, I know that Sony sets disable local dimming in loading screens and menu screens in all picture settings. It's just the way they work. Once you get into the actual content, things go back to normal. It apparently also happens in Netflix menu screens, for example. It's a quirk, not really a defect.

Huh, that's good to know. Certainly, blooming is not an issue during loading screens, beyond the mere reminder that I'm not using my Plasma anymore.

Pizzamigo

Oct 25, 2017
Huh, that's good to know. Certainly, blooming is not an issue during loading screens, beyond the mere reminder that I'm not using my Plasma anymore.

Do you have God of War PS4?

Games like that were a problem for me when I briefly had my 900F, since those games have very bright HUD elements in the corner of the screens in HDR. Anytime I was in a dark cave the HUD would bloom that entire area around it, causing that part of the cave/screen to be a totally different brightness than the rest of the screen. It was too distracting to me, but the 900F had a comparatively low amount of dimming zones to other mid-high end sets. Did they finally increase zone counts on the newer 900 models?

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty

Games like that were a problem for me when I briefly had my 900F, since those games have very bright HUD elements in the corner of the screens in HDR. Anytime I was in a dark cave the HUD would bloom that entire area around it, causing that part of the cave/screen to be a totally different brightness than the rest of the screen. It was too distracting to me, but the 900F had a comparatively low amount of dimming zones to other mid-high end sets. Did they finally increase zone counts on the newer 900 models?

Yeah, I do own it; might give it a shot, though that might not bode well for my neurosis.

The X900H has 32 dimming zones, according to Vincent at HDTV Test. It's hard to find an exact number for the 900F since Sony doesn't disclose how many they use, but apparently it's between 48 and 60, so the 900H actually has less. Sony probably has the least dimming zones of any FALD display, specially compared to the higher end QLEDs or even Hisense or TCL.

Last edited:

Rogue74

Nov 13, 2017
Miami, FL

I'd be interested to know the results of this test as well.

I'm looking at the 950H as a possible purchase and I don't think Sony increased the number of dimming zones. I think they are the same. However, if you go by Rtings review, the local dimming algorithm did improve so maybe it will perform better in that situation. The 900H on the other hand, only has 32 zones. It will be interesting to see if the improved algorithm is enough to offset that.

DenverCo

Feb 21, 2019
Denver
I've had my LG CX 65 for two months now and I've been having nothing but problems with it. Anyone else run into a issue were the TV turns off when switching to home dashboard or changing HDMI? I can't even play a PC game because as soon as I start the a game the TV turns off.

Also does anyone else have issues with the audio if the TV gets too cold?

Luckily I still have the warranty but it is a shame that a brand new expensive TV is having more issues than my cheap TCL I got for a $150.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
I'd be interested to know the results of this test as well.

I'm looking at the 950H as a possible purchase and I don't think Sony increased the number of dimming zones. I think they are the same. However, if you go by Rtings review, the local dimming algorithm did improve so maybe it will perform better in that situation. The 900H on the other hand, only has 32 zones. It will be interesting to see if the improved algorithm is enough to offset that.

Alright, I'm downloading GoW 2018. Now you've piqued my curiosity.

Hopefully it'll perform better than we expect. Vincent praised the X900H's algorithm, but was also very blunt when stating that 32 dimming zones are 32 dimming zones are 32 dimming zones.

R2RD

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 6, 2018
Any help for TV recommendations would be appreciated:
  1. $800 budget before tax
  2. 65", 4k, HDR, etc
  3. Standard apps like Netflix
I'll be using it for some causal gaming as well, tho very low input lag isn't necessary.

Anyone know of sales going on? Looking to make this purchase within the next couple of weeks.

The Hisense H8G is $699 for the 65" and apparently is a really good TV according to reviews. It's a VA panel so be aware that viewing angles won't be great.

Terbinator

Oct 29, 2017
Sorry to dig this up again, it doesn't look like Era supports searching within a thread???

If I'm on an LG B9 and using it for PC use and gaming, should I use it in PC mode or game mode for the best experience? Like wise, do I go RGB or 4:4:4?

Wariobenotware

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 2, 2020
So how long do you have to watch the CX before the first automatic pixel refresh kicks in when the TV is in standby?

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
I need more info on that vizio

so far it looks like the CX is the better option from limited impressions

Vandal Deca

Oct 21, 2018
Got a 65" X900H in over the weekend. The low, low number of local dimming zones almost scared me away, but all other aspects considered -- and after getting an extended opportunity to play with one in the store -- I took the plunge.

I haven't had any issues with game mode looking dull, but I am coming from a 10-year-old plasma that I dialed down fairly far to prevent burn-in. I've never seen anything as bright as this TV can get, and it's not even one of the brighter LCDs on the market. To be frank I left almost all of the color and contrast related settings at default, except for brightness which I set at around 20-25. I also set Local Dimming on High. I had heard that this crushes shadow detail at times, but I ran tests comparing High and Medium on various dark scenes and didn't notice any real loss.

Bloom isn't noticeable to me except in extreme circumstances (like the loading screens you mentioned) where I feel like it's minimal. That said, I notice that if I step even two or three feet off-axis to the left or right of the screen, the bloom suddenly becomes hideously noticeable. The viewing angle on this set is really, really narrow if you want the best picture quality. Doesn't bother me at all as I am usually the only one using the TV in a light-controlled room.

GetDigitized

Oct 25, 2017
So just want to confirm my research is still good , there's nothing good under 50" besides the lg cx48.
Currently I have a 27 inch as my main monitor which i game on , but wanted to move up to 32, but I wasn't able to find anything which supports the features of the new gen of consoles at that size.

I was thinking of getting the tv as a seperate purcchase and to upgrade my monitor to something which supports 144hz since I wouldn't need it for next gen gaming since I use my pc for ffxiv,emulators and game pass currently. With the PS5 and Series X I won't need to upgrade my pc since it does everything besides AAA gamepass.

The cx 48 is like 1.8k usd in the UK, so it's not cheap and I wanted to make sure that I'm getting the best value for money rather than the best display.
Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Sorry to dig this up again, it doesn't look like Era supports searching within a thread???

On PC, click the search bar,where it says everywhere you switch to this thread. Dunno how to do the equivalent on mobile, so just use the desktop site.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Got a 65" X900H in over the weekend. The low, low number of local dimming zones almost scared me away, but all other aspects considered -- and after getting an extended opportunity to play with one in the store -- I took the plunge.

I haven't had any issues with game mode looking dull, but I am coming from a 10-year-old plasma that I dialed down fairly far to prevent burn-in. I've never seen anything as bright as this TV can get, and it's not even one of the brighter LCDs on the market. To be frank I left almost all of the color and contrast related settings at default, except for brightness which I set at around 20-25. I also set Local Dimming on High. I had heard that this crushes shadow detail at times, but I ran tests comparing High and Medium on various dark scenes and didn't notice any real loss.

Bloom isn't noticeable to me except in extreme circumstances (like the loading screens you mentioned) where I feel like it's minimal. That said, I notice that if I step even two or three feet off-axis to the left or right of the screen, the bloom suddenly becomes hideously noticeable. The viewing angle on this set is really, really narrow if you want the best picture quality. Doesn't bother me at all as I am usually the only one using the TV in a light-controlled room.

Did you change the color temperature settings while on Game Mode? I went back and forth, testing all of them and they all seemed unsatisfactory.

When in non-game mode (Custom with some tweaks; I turned off all the motion interpolation crap), I like the way neutral works.

Orion514

Oct 25, 2018
Illinois
I picked me up a LG CX 65" this past weekend and ooooh boy is it awesome. Had to connect my PC to it and now I'm realizing I will be to doing couch PC gaming more often. (Gsync too strong to ignore) Anyone find a good solution for good wireless keyboards to use on the couch? I want to get the Corsair K63 wireless + lapboard, but it's not in stock anywhere at normal prices. :(

Vandal Deca

Oct 21, 2018
Did you change the color temperature settings while on Game Mode? I went back and forth, testing all of them and they all seemed unsatisfactory.

When in non-game mode (Custom with some tweaks; I turned off all the motion interpolation crap), I like the way neutral works.
I like to err on the warm side, so I'm using Expert1 pretty much all the time and on every source.

The only time I've ever thought to myself "this picture is way too dim/dull" is when using Netflix Calibrated Mode while...well, watching Netflix. Technically, the correct brightness level for proper reference color is somewhere around 3 or 4, so this isn't surprising, but to my personal taste it's just not what I like. Hell, it wasn't until I did this that I realized -- and this is after watching the first five episodes on my plasma -- that Yennefer in The Witcher has purple irises!

I use Custom picture mode pretty much everywhere, but with stock color settings except the aforementioned brightness to taste, gamma on 0, local dimming on high, and sometimes Reality Creation set on Auto when watching low-res content. (The motion smoothing is also really good on this TV, and I normally hate soap opera effect -- but obviously not for games; in fact it doesn't function in Game Mode at all.)

harz-marz

Oct 28, 2017
Sorry if this has been asked before, I see the LG BX is significantly cheaper than the CX. Is the BX a good safe bet for TV or should I spend the extra?

pezzie

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry if this has been asked before, I see the LG BX is significantly cheaper than the CX. Is the BX a good safe bet for TV or should I spend the extra?

If the prices are within $100-200, go for the CX unless you really are on a tight budget. The main difference is that the CX has a much brighter screen, and OLEDs aren't that bright to begin with. Also the BX only has two HDMI 2.1 ports while the CX has four, but I don't know if that matters to you or not.

harz-marz

Oct 28, 2017
If the prices are within $100-200, go for the CX unless you really are on a tight budget. The main difference is that the CX has a much brighter screen, and OLEDs aren't that bright to begin with. Also the BX only has two HDMI 2.1 ports while the CX has four, but I don't know if that matters to you or not.
Thanks for the reply! It is about £300-£400 of a difference in the UK, decisions decisions!

Concrete1337

Sep 1, 2020
I'll need to keep an eye on some of these plasma to LCD posts. I feel like the poorer Black levels I can deal with easy enough. Screen is brighter and I can keep a light on. I think it more or less shouldn't be an issue or that noticeable.

The blooming is the one I fear the most. Maybe making me lean more towards a TV next summer when more models hopefully have hdmi 2.1.

Tidus

Oct 25, 2017
Im stuck trying to find out if I should get the 55" Vizio OLED or the 65" Sony x900H. They are within 100 dollars of each other but this is Vizio's first OLED. I'm not sure how reliable it will be.

Oct 25, 2017
Im stuck trying to find out if I should get the 55" Vizio OLED or the 65" Sony x900H. They are within 100 dollars of each other but this is Vizio's first OLED. I'm not sure how reliable it will be.

I'd say wait for some more Vizio reviews and impressions, I've heard the motion isn't great on the set, but I'm waiting to see more information on that. I have the 85 inch x900h and it's great, but the best image quality always comes from OLED's. I'm thinking about buying the 55 inch Vizio myself as a second set, but holding off for now.

LegendX48

Oct 25, 2017
I picked me up a LG CX 65" this past weekend and ooooh boy is it awesome. Had to connect my PC to it and now I'm realizing I will be to doing couch PC gaming more often. (Gsync too strong to ignore) Anyone find a good solution for good wireless keyboards to use on the couch? I want to get the Corsair K63 wireless + lapboard, but it's not in stock anywhere at normal prices. :(
I'd be wary of that keyboard (unless you plug it into a usb hub or front port usb input) as it has bug that can screw over other usb devices

Concrete1337

Sep 1, 2020

Haven't seen much about the OLED and they stopped selling in Canada so I haven't seen thier quantum dot in person. But in general I feel like while their sets this year are stellar on paper, not so much in person.

I'm doing the same thinking between OLED and LCD. I feel like the bigger size will win out for me. When I went from a 50 inch plasma to a 65 my mine was blown. It's a huge and nice difference.

I also think what you are coming from also influences the decision as it baselines what size/ quality you are used to.

Orion514

Oct 25, 2018
Illinois
I'd be wary of that keyboard (unless you plug it into a usb hub or front port usb input) as it has bug that can screw over other usb devices

Oh interesting; Thanks for the heads up. I do have a couple open USB ports on the front of my PC that I can use. My worry then though would be if it would mess with the Xbone controller wireless dongle signal? That is the most likely candidate for also being plugged into the front alongside the keyboard dongle.

Thanquol

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 4, 2020
Is the best option for under 2k tax in (Canadian $) for a 65inch, the sony x900h? I have a vizio m65e0 and I like it but Id really like a 120hz set for pc and ps5

Rogue74

Nov 13, 2017
Miami, FL

The main issue with having local dimming on high is that small specular highlights will be dimmer than reference. This is as per HDTVTest.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Playing Spider-Man on my new 77cx. It's so unbelievable. I can't wait for miles morales at 60fps. Damnnnn

UaSK502.jpg

Vandal Deca

Oct 21, 2018
The main issue with having local dimming on high is that small specular highlights will be dimmer than reference. This is as per HDTVTest.
Oh yes, I did see Vincent's review but forgot that point. Interestingly, in my tests I noticed that having local dimming on Medium would actually blow out the detail of some smaller bright areas. Even though setting it on High would dim those areas, it also allowed me to see details I missed on Medium. This might be source-specific. I found the brightness loss of High local dimming acceptable given that I'm almost always watching content in a pitch-dark room. (Still need to get some bias lighting...)

Overall I'm much happier with the Sony's local dimming strategy as compared to Samsung's on the Q80/90 range. On the Sammys I noticed that they try very hard to control bloom, to the point where small highlights are very, distractingly dim. On subtitled content, subs over the picture were bright white, while subs over the bottom black bar were dim gray. It was so distracting that it led me to read the two lines with different emphases in my head, lol.

ev0

Oct 25, 2017
Playing Spider-Man on my new 77cx. It's so unbelievable. I can't wait for miles morales at 60fps. Damnnnn

UaSK502.jpg

Beautiful. Also is that a different/custom stand?
I was actually going to ask here for advice:

I'm planning on getting a 48' CX and a soundbar(no room for receiver sadly). However I see that the stock CX stand is so low that almost every soundbar will cover up a bottom portion of the screen. I've seen there are some height adjustable VESA stands but I have no idea if they are actually good or safe (not wobbly etc).

Thanks!

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Beautiful. Also is that a different/custom stand?
I was actually going to ask here for advice:

I'm planning on getting a 48' CX and a soundbar(no room for receiver sadly). However I see that the stock CX stand is so low that almost every soundbar will cover up a bottom portion of the screen. I've seen there are some height adjustable VESA stands but I have no idea if they are actually good or safe (not wobbly etc).

Thanks!
Yeah. It's a fitueyes 40-80 inches Tv. I got one 32-65 for my 65c9 in bedroom

ev0

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. It's a fitueyes 40-80 inches Tv. I got one 32-65 for my 65c9 in bedroom

Awesome thanks! Exactly what I was looking for. Do you know how much space is under the tv at its lowest height setting? If you dont know off the top of your head donn't worry about it. I dont need that much more room for the soundbar and don't want a huge gap, but beggars cant be choosers I guess lol