ColdLavaBunny

Oct 29, 2017
It's been confirmed as far as I know but until the firmware arrives that includes it it isn't safe to assume they will 100% keep their word.
Yes, Sony have officially stated that the upgrade is coming. So it's highly unlikely that it won't come in some form. But they have given no solid time frame. If you can wait and see, that is the sensible option.

JohnnyUtah

Jul 15, 2018
A little late now as you have ordered, but the ATV 4K does as good a job nowadays with streaming across a network, using the Infuse app. It never skips a beat.
Ahh damn. But I'm not overly worried anyway. Just happy to finally have my 4k Plex library fully functional and to be able to watch hdr subtitled movies

Eskiboy

Oct 27, 2017
Birmingham
Anyone from UK have any experience with the Hisense U7Q model. I'm on a pretty tight budget here and i'm struggling to find that balance.

Rogue74

Nov 13, 2017
Miami, FL
Ahh it's not confirmed yet? Shit ok. Holding off on it then. Not planning to get it till November anyway.

Like others have said, it is unlikely Sony will go back on their promise. They have been too public in promising this feature. It's coming.

My concern would be in how it performs once it arrives. The LG OLEDs have an issue with VRR that many expect will not be fixed any time soon, if at all. Not a deal breaker from what I've read here, but still. The Samsung Q80T takes a huge image quality hit when in game mode, as shown in Vincent's Q80T vs Sony 950H comparison video. Personally I prefer the superior picture quality of the Sony game mode over the terrible black levels of the Samsung even though you don't get VRR. So I wouldn't opt for the Samsung based on it's gaming features alone.

Point is, no one knows how the Sony will perform in this area because it can't be tested yet. Maybe better than either, maybe worse.

Last edited:

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
In my opinion, if you're always ambient light during the day and recessed lights on at night, you don't need an OLED. Now if you expect you'll be doing more dark / black room watching movie forward, different story, but you're not really maximizing the benefits of the tech
I kind of disagree. I rarely ever watch either of my OLEDS in a completely dark room and I still prefer the PQ to my FALD. Even with ambient light the OLED picture has a certain depth that blows everything away imo

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Like others have said, it is unlikely Sony will go back on their promise. They have been too public in promising this feature. It's coming.

My concern would be in how it performs once it arrives. The LG OLEDs have an issue with VRR that many expect will not be fixed any time soon, if at all. Not a deal breaker from what I've read here, but still. The Samsung Q80T takes a huge image quality hit when in game mode, as shown in Vincent's Q80T vs Sony 950H comparison video. Personally I prefer the superior picture quality of the Sony game mode over the terrible black levels of the Samsung even though you don't get VRR. So I wouldn't opt for the Samsung based on it's gaming features alone.

Point is, no one knows how the Sony will perform in this area because it can't be tested yet. Maybe better than either, maybe worse.
Yeah, been looking more at the LCD's again, and the Samsung Game Mode issues (plus no Dolby Vision) really put me off. Plus, I hear Samsung is a bit worse when it comes to DSE and uniformity issues as well (I'm aware that's a lottery thing with all TV's, but it sounds like Sony puts out cleaner panels on average than the rest). I think Vincent of HDTV Test said Q90Ts game mode was better, but still, that thing costs as much as an OLED lol. If everything works well once the 900H update comes out, I feel like that could be the best overall pick for me, but I definitely wouldn't buy it until then. I agree we don't know how it will work until it is tested.

OP
OP
Bumrush

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
I kind of disagree. I rarely ever watch either of my OLEDS in a completely dark room and I still prefer the PQ to my FALD. Even with ambient light the OLED picture has a certain depth that blows everything away imo

I agree that PQ is better (very happy C8 owner) but they're looking at a 77" which are not cheap. If they could save $2000 by going LED, it wouldn't be the worst thing. Also, they made it sound like there was A LOT of light coming in. Now if that poster did any viewing in the dark my recommendation would be different

Plidex

Oct 30, 2017

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
My non-pro runs a Plex server too, but just doesn't have the capacity to do much with it.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
I agree that PQ is better (very happy C8 owner) but they're looking at a 77" which are not cheap. If they could save $2000 by going LED, it wouldn't be the worst thing. Also, they made it sound like there was A LOT of light coming in. Now if that poster did any viewing in the dark my recommendation would be different
I can see that. Sometimes I contemplate saving $1000+ and getting an 85 inch LED for my basement when I get the theater set up down there. But I think I just can't really go back from OLED

darkazcura

Oct 25, 2017
I can see that. Sometimes I contemplate saving $1000+ and getting an 85 inch LED for my basement when I get the theater set up down there. But I think I just can't really go back from OLED

I am that poster the guy is referencing, and yeah, I can't imagine going away from OLED, but I have seriously thought about it. The 77 inch is just so expensive. If it gets down to the 2800-3000 range, that is more in my ballpark (still super expensive but I can deal with it). The 3500-3700 range is just crazy.

I just think in my family room, as much as I love an OLED, the chances of me noticing a difference are minimal. We watch movies in the dark on occasion, but not a ton.

Maybe I'll just wait till November and see.

Joelio13

Nov 5, 2017
Florida
So I've been debating what I'm going to get on Black Friday in preparation for the next gen consoles. I have a decent 55" 4k Samsung tv now but want to upgrade, preferably to a 75". Right now I'm trying to decide between the 75" Samsung Q90T or the 65" LG CX. I want an OLED but the price point at 77" for the CX just isn't feasible unless there's some serious deals in November. I'm also a little concerned about the burn in because my girlfriend has a bad habit of leaving the tv on and I can only see it being more of an issue than not. Am I crazy for considering the Q90T or is there another alternative I should think about other than the two I listed?

JohnnyUtah

Jul 15, 2018
Ohh ok, sorry for the mistake then. I have never used Plex so didn't realize the difference between client and server.

Thanks for looking out regardless. I use my desktop/gaming pc to run the server. Works a treat.

Regarding the upscaler in the shield: after a day of tinkering I've found so far that it works really well with high quality 1080p content. The watchmen series looks phenomenal running through the shield. Have also checked out a bunch of Miyazaki films on Netflix which look great too. But given that I already own a CX it's not a huge step up for me.

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
So I've been debating what I'm going to get on Black Friday in preparation for the next gen consoles. I have a decent 55" 4k Samsung tv now but want to upgrade, preferably to a 75". Right now I'm trying to decide between the 75" Samsung Q90T or the 65" LG CX. I want an OLED but the price point at 77" for the CX just isn't feasible unless there's some serious deals in November. I'm also a little concerned about the burn in because my girlfriend has a bad habit of leaving the tv on and I can only see it being more of an issue than not. Am I crazy for considering the Q90T or is there another alternative I should think about other than the two I listed?
There's also the 75 inch Sony X900H. Seems like one of the cheapest in its class ($1999 for 75 inch) with good picture quality. It also will have the full HDMI 2.1 feature set in the future, but keep in mind this will only be after an update is released by Sony. Advantages vs the other two are mainly no chance for Burn in (not OLED) and Dolby Vision for HDR (not available on Samsung TV's).

minato

Oct 27, 2017

I keep hearing people mention the game mode on 90t and 80t but this has been fixed with a later firmware update. You can see this with the review Vincent did on the 90t https://youtu.be/2RbRUcRc0is?t=523 . I just got my 80t and haven't gamed much but I flipped between game mode on and off and didn't' see any difference. I'll have to do some more testing but overall seems good. Way better than my KS8000.

Rogue74

Nov 13, 2017
Miami, FL
I keep hearing people mention the game mode on 90t and 80t but this has been fixed with a later firmware update. You can see this with the review Vincent did on the 90t https://youtu.be/2RbRUcRc0is?t=523 . I just got my 80t and haven't gamed much but I flipped between game mode on and off and didn't' see any difference. I'll have to do some more testing but overall seems good. Way better than my KS8000.

This is good to know. I knew Vincent had mentioned it wasn't an issue on the Q90, but didn't know it had been fixed on the Q80T via firmware update as well.

How do you like your Q80T?

I will be buying a FALD to replace the C8 in the family room once Black Friday prices start showing up and am still a little on the fence. I'm almost sure I have settled on the 950H but I do like the reflection handling on the Samsungs. But then again they have no Dolby Vision. However the Sony is player led Dolby Vision and they probably perform better in HDR10 anyway, so Samsung not having DV might not be that big a deal. BUT...Sony has better specular highlights due to less aggresive local dimming algorithm, which in turn does cause a bit more blooming.......ahhhhhhhh. See? I'm driving myself crazy.

Not you

Oct 27, 2017
This is good to know. I knew Vincent had mentioned it wasn't an issue on the Q90, but didn't know it had been fixed on the Q80T via firmware update as well.

I will be buying a FALD to replace the C8 in the family room once Black Friday prices start showing up and am still a little on the fence. I'm almost sure I have settled on the 950H but I do like the reflection handling on the Samsungs. But then again they have no Dolby Vision. However the Sony is player led Dolby Vision and they probably perform better in HDR10 anyway, so Samsung not having DV might not be that big a deal. BUT...Sony has better specular highlights due to less aggresive local dimming algorithm, which in turn does cause a bit more blooming.......ahhhhhhhh. See? I'm driving myself crazy.

Both are great tvs. In general there is more blooming on the Sony sets (it really isn't bad though), but they have solid color accuracy. The q80/q90 are also great tvs. You can't go wrong with either. I'm replacing an oled also, and never going back, and I have to make the same choice as you. I think I'm going with Samsung. I've seen gamemode first hand after the firmware patch, and it looks great.

Outside of gamemode both are fantastic tvs.

Last edited:

minato

Oct 27, 2017

So far I like it I have noticed some blooming in the few shows I watched on some scenes but the black bars seem to stay black plus the motion seemed good too and the HDR seemed why better than my KS8000. As far as gaming I only played a few games Gotham Knight on PC and a little bit of Gears 4 and 5 on Xbox One X and it seems fine I didn't see any of the ghosting issues that people were getting but that was supposed to have been fixed in a patch. The HDR seems good and it said that Freesync was enabled. I will try and play the Last of Us 2 this weekend as I was waiting to get a new TV before I try that out.

Oh I hear you I am also driving myself crazy... I tried of the Vizio P Quantum 2021 non X version before I got this and if the software was better I probably would of keep it as the black level to me seemed a a little darker and liked that it had all HDR formats plus 2 hdmi 2.1 ports on it but the TV was just too buggy. On the Xbox with certain games like Forza Horizon I was getting flashing green screen not sure why. I also couldn't get smart cast to work. I kinda want to try out the X900h out just to make sure I have the best TV for me I brought the 80t from Costco so I have like 80 some days left to decide.

Rogue74

Nov 13, 2017
Miami, FL
Both are great tvs. In general there is more blooming on the Sony sets (it really isn't bad though), but they have solid color accuracy. The q80/q90 are also great tvs. You can't go wrong with either. I'm replacing an oled also, and never going back, and I have to make the same choice as you. I think I'm going with Samsung. I've seen gamemode first hand after the firmware patch, and it looks great.

Outside of gamemode both are fantastic tvs.
So far I like it I have noticed some blooming in the few shows I watched on some scenes but the black bars seem to stay black plus the motion seemed good too and the HDR seemed why better than my KS8000. As far as gaming I only played a few games Gotham Knight on PC and a little bit of Gears 4 and 5 on Xbox One X and it seems fine I didn't see any of the ghosting issues that people were getting but that was supposed to have been fixed in a patch. The HDR seems good and it said that Freesync was enabled. I will try and play the Last of Us 2 this weekend as I was waiting to get a new TV before I try that out.

Oh I hear you I am also driving myself crazy... I tried of the Vizio P Quantum 2021 non X version before I got this and if the software was better I probably would of keep it as the black level to me seemed a a little darker and liked that it had all HDR formats plus 2 hdmi 2.1 ports on it but the TV was just too buggy. On the Xbox with certain games like Forza Horizon I was getting flashing green screen not sure why. I also couldn't get smart cast to work. I kinda want to try out the X900h out just to make sure I have the best TV for me I brought the 80t from Costco so I have like 80 some days left to decide.

Thank you both.

I briefly considered the 900H but I'm kind of focusing on a good all around TV. Movies are as important - I would actually say more important - to me than gaming. The 950H, from all the reviews and comparisons I have seen, has a noticeable advantage in picture quality over the 900H that to me is worth the extra $300 or so. I know the 950H doesn't get the HDMI 2.1 gaming features, but... I dunno. I'm not sure I care that much. I won't be connecting a PC to the TV and I would wager that the new consoles will struggle to get more than 60 FPS at 4K in AAA titles with all the graphical bells and whistles turned on. I mean the current gen can't even hit 30FPS all that consistently. I don't buy that they will more than double that and have all the eye candy they promise. And if they do, that just means I will get rock solid 60FPS, which is fine by me. So yeah I kind of struck the 900H off the list.

The Q80T is a much closer match to the 950H so it is a much tougher choice. I was even looking at the Hisense H9G which has gotten rave reviews in some circles and is very affordable. But I have a trust issue with these budget brands. And I won't be professionally calibrating the TV I buy, so out of the box accuracy that is at least respectable is important. And Sony wipes the floor with Hisense there.

Oh and I know that for movie watching I will miss the OLED black levels. But I'm willing to make the tradeoff for what I will gain in peace of mind and impact of high APL scenes. I will also take the opportunity to upgrade in size from 65" to 75" since the FALD LEDs I'm considering at that size is cheaper than what I paid for the 65" C8 back in 2018.

Sorry guys I'm just thinking out loud during my decision making process. :P

Last edited:

Not you

Oct 27, 2017
Thank you both.

I briefly considered the 900H but I'm kind of focusing on a good all around TV. Movies are as important - I would actually say more important - to me than gaming. The 950H, from all the reviews and comparisons I have seen, has a noticeable advantage in picture quality over the 900H that to me is worth the extra $300 or so. I know the 950H doesn't get the HDMI 2.1 gaming features, but... I dunno. I'm not sure I care that much. I won't be connecting a PC to the TV and I would wager that the new consoles will struggle to get more than 60 FPS at 4K in AAA titles with all the graphical bells and whistles turned on. I mean the current gen can't even hit 30FPS all that consistently. I don't buy that they will more than double that and have all the eye candy they promise. And if they do, that just means I will get rock solid 60FPS, which is fine by me. So yeah I kind of struck the 900H off the list.

The Q80T is a much closer match to the 950H so it is a much tougher choice. I was even looking at the Hisense H9G which has gotten rave reviews in some circles and is very affordable. But I have a trust issue with these budget brands. And I won't be professionally calibrating the TV I buy, so out of the box accuracy that is at least respectable is important. And Sony wipes the floor with Hisense there.

Oh and I know that for movie watching I will miss the OLED black levels. But I'm willing to make the tradeoff for what I will gain in peace of mind and impact of high APL scenes.

Sorry guys I'm just thinking out loud during my decision making process. :P

Yeah, it sucks that all tvs are imperfect right now. No matter what you choose, you are compromising something. if your rooms isn't light controlled (aka has windows), you aren't missing much from an oled. In a dark room, just get a bias light if it really bothers you. True blacks aren't any better than perceived true blacks.

Joelio13

Nov 5, 2017
Florida
There's also the 75 inch Sony X900H. Seems like one of the cheapest in its class ($1999 for 75 inch) with good picture quality. It also will have the full HDMI 2.1 feature set in the future, but keep in mind this will only be after an update is released by Sony. Advantages vs the other two are mainly no chance for Burn in (not OLED) and Dolby Vision for HDR (not available on Samsung TV's).
Okay, thanks-- that's an option I hadn't considered. I'll have to look into that.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Back in the CRT days it wasn't a consideration. Plasmas were a great tech, ahead of their time. Sure they could burn in, but mine never did, and I never babied them. Not many compromises there or, at least, not like it is now.

I got burn in on my plasma of an Xbox logo from the dashboard.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Back in the CRT days it wasn't a consideration. Plasmas were a great tech, ahead of their time. Sure they could burn in, but mine never did, and I never babied them. Not many compromises there or, at least, not like it is now.

Curved CRT's, flat CRTs, units with geometry problems, overscan. The Trinitrons had visible aperture grill / wire shadows, but they had other positive attributes.

Plasma went through a long growing period where the early models didn't have longevity. They were hot, had dithering issues and some people could see color trails due to differing phosphor decay. Heck people even bitched about the buzz from plasmas. LCD is pretty well documented.. RPTV, DLP, SXRD, they all had their own problems.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
I got burn in on my plasma of an Xbox logo from the dashboard.

My Pioneer was fine (till the main board died!) but my mom got a screen from her DVR burned in on her Panasonic. It's crazy because it only flashes on the screen for a moment when you press the menu or guide buttons but I guess over the years it's enough.

Ugh sorry, post fail.

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Any help for TV recommendations would be appreciated:
  1. $800 budget before tax
  2. 65", 4k, HDR, etc
  3. Standard apps like Netflix
I'll be using it for some causal gaming as well, tho very low input lag isn't necessary.

Anyone know of sales going on? Looking to make this purchase within the next couple of weeks.

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I'd agree Plasma was a perfect tech, or at least it was when I bought mine. Great all around picture quality that mopped the floor with any LCD at the time, perfect motion resolution that has yet to be matched by any modern TV, great low input lag on all picture modes so no need to use a cruddy looking game mode (also something you can't say for any modern TV, they all require going into Game Mode for low latency these days), and yes, they could burn in, but it wasn't cumulative like OLED.

On a Plasma, you could play a game with a static HUD for as many total hours as you wanted to, and it would never burn in as long as you kept varying content, whereas on OLED, it's culmative hours that matter, so you can never play any game with static elements in the screen for too long or you will get burn in. On my Plasma, I could play games hundreds of hours as long as I kept things varied, watched some movies or TV from time to time, etc. It was great. OLED sounds far more limiting and worrisome by comparison.

So yeah, no perfect tech anymore, and major compromises no matter what You pick. It sucks. :/

Wariobenotware

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 2, 2020
I'd agree Plasma was a perfect tech, or at least it was when I bought mine. Great all around picture quality that mopped the floor with any LCD at the time, perfect motion resolution that has yet to be matched by any modern TV, great low input lag on all picture modes so no need to use a cruddy looking game mode (also something you can't say for any modern TV, they all require going into Game Mode for low latency these days), and yes, they could burn in, but it wasn't cumulative like OLED.

On a Plasma, you could play a game with a static HUD for as many total hours as you wanted to, and it would never burn in as long as you kept varying content, whereas on OLED, it's culmative hours that matter, so you can never play any game with static elements in the screen for too long or you will get burn in. On my Plasma, I could play games hundreds of hours as long as I kept things varied, watched some movies or TV from time to time, etc. It was great. OLED sounds far more limiting and worrisome by comparison.

So yeah, no perfect tech anymore, and major compromises no matter what You pick. It sucks. :/

OLED and LCD have come very close to PLASMA in regards to motion handling with BFI.

DOTDASHDOT

Helios Abandoned. Atropos Conquered.
Oct 26, 2017
If you bought an LG OLED recently, don't forget they're giving away some free wireless earbuds!

LG PL5 Portable Speaker Promotion | LG Electronics

LG TV PL5 Promotion website

I didn't find out about this promotion til after I bought my TV but they approved me pretty quickly so I guess I'm getting some free earbuds!

They are actually decent, absolutely awful OOTB, with the presets, but dial them in using the EQ, and they sound great.

Not you

Oct 27, 2017
Curved CRT's, flat CRTs, units with geometry problems, overscan. The Trinitrons had visible aperture grill / wire shadows, but they had other positive attributes.

Plasma went through a long growing period where the early models didn't have longevity. They were hot, had dithering issues and some people could see color trails due to differing phosphor decay. Heck people even bitched about the buzz from plasmas. LCD is pretty well documented.. RPTV, DLP, SXRD, they all had their own problems.

But at the time, there were the best tvs, and it was much clearer. Sure if you look at tvs with expectations from today, things look worse, but at the time, if you had a plasma, it was the best tv. If you had a Wega, you had one of if not the best tv. You weren't really giving anything up that other tvs could give you.

darkazcura

Oct 25, 2017
So I was seriously considering a 75 inch X900H ($1900-2000ish) or Q90T ($3000ish) instead of an OLED because of price (current 3700ish was too much for me). Keep seeing with reviews that LCDs are generally catching up with OLEDs with differing pros/cons (ambient light, brighter LCDs for HDR, and the such). I really went in with an open mind, but man, the OLED really sealed it for me. The Q90T was definitely closest, but the X900H was way below the OLED in my eyes. I guess to be expected since it is a mid-range TV, but I really thought with the reviews out there that it would be a bit closer. Best Buy's also don't always have the best settings on the TVs either, but I didn't want to take that gamble.

The Q90T was definitely closer, but I just saw a sale for a 77 in OLED (Parker Gwen) that brings it down to ~3400 and with a Discover card through Paypal, another additional 5% capped at $75, bringing the TV into the 3300s. Still above the range I wanted, but if it is 3340 for a 77 inch OLED vs 3000 for a Q90T, I think the extra few hundred is worth it from what I saw today. The X900H was definitely crossed off my list after comparing today. Really was balking on spending more than $2500-2700 on a 75 inch TV, but the difference in quality is absolutely real, imo.

Last edited:

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
But at the time, there were the best tvs, and it was much clearer. Sure if you look at tvs with expectations from today, things look worse, but at the time, if you had a plasma, it was the best tv. If you had a Wega, you had one of if not the best tv. You weren't really giving anything up that other tvs could give you.

I think it is just as clear today as it was then. In fact I feel like we essentially replaced plasma with OLED, improving some things and worsening others.

I remember the arguments over Trinitron aperture grill wires and I drove 3 hours to return a Sony over them. They were a distraction for hockey at my viewing distance. It was common to return CRTs over geometry and overscan issues.

Forums like AVS were a blood bath over LCD vs. plasma. The war raged for years and I don't think many would agree with your assessment to this day. The same could be said about DLP rainbows, SXRD convergence, RPTV burn-in and internal reflections (lining them with duvetyne), endlessly tweaking convergence and focus.

I won't prolong the discussion any further but I can't agree.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Lew taking a look at the LG CX 48 as a computer monitor but doing so with just a laptop about two weeks before Ampere comes out and just connecting a base PS4 and relying on tv upscaling while playing Tony Hawk.

Bruh

Concrete1337

Sep 1, 2020
I have the upgrade bug huge. Need me some of that HDMI 2.1 VRR and HDR goodness. My biggest issue is that I currently have a Panasonic 65VT60. It's a very hard TV to "upgrade" from. Essentially at the point where I can get a OLED (CX or C11 next summer) and stick with 65 inch (runs about 3500 CAD) but get an all around better TV. Or I can take the hit and drop down to a 900 series Sony LED and accept the shortcomings of a LCD but move up to a 75 inch TV for under 3k (helps with getting a new AVR and some Atmos ceiling speakers). I haven't been able to get a good feel about how an LED's black levels these days compares to one of the last and best plasma.

Anumariku

Jan 8, 2020
I have the upgrade bug huge. Need me some of that HDMI 2.1 VRR and HDR goodness. My biggest issue is that I currently have a Panasonic 65VT60. It's a very hard TV to "upgrade" from. Essentially at the point where I can get a OLED (CX or C11 next summer) and stick with 65 inch (runs about 3500 CAD) but get an all around better TV. Or I can take the hit and drop down to a 900 series Sony LED and accept the shortcomings of a LCD but move up to a 75 inch TV for under 3k (helps with getting a new AVR and some Atmos ceiling speakers). I haven't been able to get a good feel about how an LED's black levels these days compares to one of the last and best plasma.

Just a personal opinion, but I would go with whatever size fits best for how far you may be sitting away. For me, I'd even say a 'lesser' 65" TV at an optimal distance is preferable to a better 75" at a non-optimal distance.

Concrete1337

Sep 1, 2020
Just a personal opinion, but I would go with whatever size fits best for how far you may be sitting away. For me, I'd even say a 'lesser' 65" TV at an optimal distance is preferable to a better 75" at a non-optimal distance.

Yah I'm maybe like 12 feet away and 65 is a "good size" tv. It was super big when I bought it, but now I'm just used to it. I also feel like it's hard for a TV to be too big. So while I will have some potential drop in picture quality going LCD, going to a 75 inch would offer a lot of wow factor.

Anumariku

Jan 8, 2020
Yah I'm maybe like 12 feet away and 65 is a "good size" tv. It was super big when I bought it, but now I'm just used to it. I also feel like it's hard for a TV to be too big. So while I will have some potential drop in picture quality going LCD, going to a 75 inch would offer a lot of wow factor.

You may get differing opinions, but for me, I'd definitely heavily consider a 75"+ once you're over 10 feet away

Concrete1337

Sep 1, 2020
I think it is just as clear today as it was then. In fact I feel like we essentially replaced plasma with OLED, improving some things and worsening others.

I remember the arguments over Trinitron aperture grill wires and I drove 3 hours to return a Sony over them. They were a distraction for hockey at my viewing distance. It was common to return CRTs over geometry and overscan issues.

Forums like AVS were a blood bath over LCD vs. plasma. The war raged for years and I don't think many would agree with your assessment to this day. The same could be said about DLP rainbows, SXRD convergence, RPTV burn-in and internal reflections (lining them with duvetyne), endlessly tweaking convergence and focus.

I won't prolong the discussion any further but I can't agree.

I feel like the LED vs Plasma warring was due to the fact that both sets covered the whole price range. There were $1k plasmas and $1k LCD's (which begs the question why you would buy the LCD :p). So, people were justifying buying sets at all price ranges. But now it's you buy an LCD up to the high end where you can go OLED or LCD. So a lot of the noise is cutdown as most people buy an LCD. Since, that's what they can afford.

So overall it's "less complicated" in terms of what display tech to buy. But, now it's all the extra stuff like HDMI version, port count, ARC vs eARC, smart apps/TV OS and HDR versions/quality/NITs.