• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
IMHO if you are going to using game mode I would say the 8 over the 7, for me though it is because you can do a 1D LUT on the 8 series for the game mode where you are stuck with the available controls of the display itself to dial in game mode. So you can never really adjust the grayscale on the 7 series in game mode. This is only if you are going to get it calibrated. If you're not doesn't matter much unless you want dynamic tone mapping in game mode. If you want that then 8 series.

Price wise if you find a 7 super cheap get it. If that extra bit of functionality is worth teh cost increase over a 7 get an 8

Thanks man. I am looking at January and happy to buy it if I can get an 8 around 1400.

SJPN

Oct 27, 2017
I'm surprised how quickly I adjusted from going from 55" to 65".

The larger screen looked enormous to begin with, but a week or so later and it felt normal.

Part of this is down to the actual TV size not being much different. My old plasma had a wide bezel around it, where as the OLED's bezel is nearly nonexistent.

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised how quickly I adjusted from going from 55" to 65".

The larger screen looked enormous to begin with, but a week or so later and it felt normal.

Part of this is down to the actual TV size not being much different. My old plasma had a wide bezel around it, where as the OLED's bezel is nearly nonexistent.

65" looks about perfect in my place, I think 77" would actually be overpowering. I'd still buy one if I had $6,000 laying around but yeah, this is just about all I need.

Oct 25, 2017
Proud owner of an LG (65") C8!

Bad news is I have to wait until Friday. I forgot that you really dont want these things laying on their sides : (

Edit: Bought mine from Best Buy who will allow me to price match from now until Jan 12th (except for this upcoming Thursday thru Monday)

Mr.Beep

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
So I'm deciding between the C8 and the Panasonic FZ950 (which I don't think is even in the US market) at 55". Both are similarly priced in Aus.

The FZ950 actually looked like it had better picture quality in store but perhaps it was just calibrated better.

Any insights anybody?

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017
So I'm deciding between the C8 and the Panasonic FZ950 (which I don't think is even in the US market) at 55". Both are similarly priced in Aus.

The FZ950 actually looked like it had better picture quality in store but perhaps it was just calibrated better.

Any insights anybody?

The Panasonic OLED's win the annual TV shootout just about every year but they don't support Dolby Vision. I guess it depends on how much you value that aspect.

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
I got that target ad TCL 55" after discounts and tax, 300 dollars.

Took it home, still need to mount on wall to have the job done, but it looks as good as expected. And glad to say no issues so far. I'm not going to use the smart tv functions, paranoid about modern TVs taking a shit due to smart features and things beyond just being a screen.
Quite a bit bigger than 42 which is what I had before, almost too big. Can't ever see getting a bigger tv than this.

Question for anyone in here, but especially anyone who has a TCL..

Should I update the firmware or just leave it as is? What would be in a firmware update? I'm not planning on connecting to wifi or anything for any reason, but if a firmware update would so something important (typically paranoid about updates making machines worse or suddenly killing them) then I might consider it.

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017
Man, the panel on this C8 is so much better than my B7. Watching Arrival right now which is the ultimate "fuck your OLED" movie and not seeing any of the usual issues.

Oct 25, 2017
If you bought a C8 at Best Buy last week will they price match Amazon? Or do they only do the price lock for themselves?

I'm too late, but yes. Best Buy will price match any tv purchase from now until January 12th except from the 23rd to the 26th of November.

Last year, the 2017 OLEDS got an another price drop around Xmas so, barring another 2400 USD deal, that's what I'll be holding out for

SJPN

Oct 27, 2017

Any insights anybody?

Seeing as LG and Panny 55" and 65" have been price parity for a while, and they're both top tier tellies, it comes down to minor differences. You can't go wrong with either.

I bought the 65" FZ950 a couple of weeks ago, and the main reason I chose the Panasonic was I don't like the chunky stand on the C8. The FZ950 is far more understated.

The FZ950 is phenomenal, btw. I only needed minor tweaks to the out-of-the-box settings to get a picture I love.

ctj

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area, California
I've had the 55 inch TCL 6 series for a couple of months now and I'd like to mount in on the wall like I had with my old TV. Any recommendations for a good full motion wall mount?

nikasun :D

Oct 30, 2017
Heads up that the UBK90 is half off everywhere right now

I have the Panasonic UB-9000's predecessor, the UB-900, and it's a cracking player. I was actually going in to buy an X700 but they had the Panasonic as ex-display for £186. Biggest downside is lack of DV but I have a Sammy MU7000 (US 8000) anyway so that doesn't matter. When I eventually upgrade to OLED I'll sell the tv and player together

If you have the money to spend and want a top player I doubt the 9000 would disappoint. That said, the price difference between that and the X700 or UBK-90 would buy a lot of UHD discs and there's plenty who will vouch for the quality of those players.
Thanks guys. So here is the thing: John Wick works perfectly now on the X. What was the problem? A huge finger print xD

Regarding Dolby Vision: The X1X tells me that the DV version of my TV is older than the console version, so DV through the X is not possible. Will DV then work with the LG or Sony player? TV is an Oled E6.

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
sonoftumble settings never look good of my panel, to much -red in both rgb and cms settings killing the saturation, also the 2 ponit white balance kill a little red making the green bias more pronounced.

if you compare the WB settings in different reviews on the OLED 7 series, you will NEVER find the same settings, too much panel variance.

l live happy with the recommendation that both jreff and wifi spy(the dude that works wth calman) say on the AVS forums, if you will NEVER EVER calibrate, just use technicolor mode/isf dark and adjust oled light to your room, AND DONE, no rare settings, not CMS or WB, this will give you the best of your display, for better of worse.

and yes, this include bt1886 gamma(a love it btw, 2.2 makes everything like a cheap LCD image, totally washed out and desatured)
I respectfully disagree, as those look both accurate and superb on my B7.

Nov 5, 2017
Having an issue with my X900F.

For some reason tonight out of nowhere, when I turn on my PS4 Pro, the HDMI signal flickers in and out. I switched HDMI cables, that didn't fix it.

The odd thing is, so far(knock on wood) the only fix I found for it, is switching it from HDMI port 2 to HDMI port 3, and it isn't having the issue. Could there be a problem with my TV's HDMI port 2? I've never had an issue with a bad HDMI port before.

Also, just to test, I hooked my Xbox One up to HDMI port 2 and the issue didn't happen. So far, I've only been able to produce it when I have my PS4 Pro hooked up to HDMI port 2.

My Best Buy warranty ran out, but I still have the manufacturer's warranty, but I really don't want to send it in for repairs unless I truly have to, I have no backup TV to use in the mean time :(

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
Man, the panel on this C8 is so much better than my B7. Watching Arrival right now which is the ultimate "fuck your OLED" movie and not seeing any of the usual issues.
Nice! Enjoy that new set. :)
Though I'm surprised you were already ready to upgrade, heh.

One of these days I'll finally pick up that movie.

Last edited:

Oct 30, 2017
My god, the size of this lad! Absolute unit!

65" looks huge in my living room, I'm in love.
What is your seating distance? I am currently thinking about the 77C8. I have an 55 E6 from 2016. I jokingly said to my gf that I would kinda like to buy the 77 inch and there was no immediate "you are dead if you do" .

FrankNitty

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
What is your seating distance? I am currently thinking about the 77C8. I have an 55 E6 from 2016. I jokingly said to my gf that I would kinda like to buy the 77 inch and there was no immediate "you are dead if you do" .
I sit 10 feet away from a 77" C8 and it's the perfect size. I say do it. Better to ask for forgiveness than ask for permission

DOTDASHDOT

Helios Abandoned. Atropos Conquered.
Oct 26, 2017

For whatever reason, I forgot you had a B7, I thought you were in the I'm happy with it camp, out of curiosity, why did you get rid for a C8?

Oct 30, 2017
I sit 10 feet away from a 77" C8 and it's the perfect size. I say do it. Better to ask for forgiveness than ask for permission
Haha, I will also sit 10 feet away. I once had a projector with a picture of about 75 inches.

The TV is currently at 4.6k Euro on Amazon. LG Cashback would give me 1k, but the offer does not work with Amazon, sadly. I asked another shop in my country if they can match Amazon's price so I can take advantage of LG's Cashback. I have another 13 hours to decide XD

Are there any rumors regarding TVs from 2019? I could also wait another year for the next BF deals.

Dinjooh

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Convinced the gf that the 65" would be way better than the 55" last night. So there's currently a 65" AF8 heading our way. Got it for $2300 so can't complain about that at all.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
Convinced the gf that the 65" would be way better than the 55" last night. So there's currently a 65" AF8 heading our way. Got it for $2300 so can't complain about that at all.
Haha, nice. I wonder if that's the most popular size now, it seems like it.

I got to go up from my old 46" to a 55" when I got my A1E.

Mr.Beep

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Seeing as LG and Panny 55" and 65" have been price parity for a while, and they're both top tier tellies, it comes down to minor differences. You can't go wrong with either.

I bought the 65" FZ950 a couple of weeks ago, and the main reason I chose the Panasonic was I don't like the chunky stand on the C8. The FZ950 is far more understated.

The FZ950 is phenomenal, btw. I only needed minor tweaks to the out-of-the-box settings to get a picture I love.

Thanks for the insight. Went with the FZ950 55" because I managed to find one under 2000 AUD.

Dinjooh

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Haha, nice. I wonder if that's the most popular size now, it seems like it.

I went up from a 46" to the 55" A1E.

We had the 55" A1 for a week as well, but ended up returning it since the stand was too deep for our TV stand - and mounting it on the wall, made it that 30cm further away and feeling a bit too small. So we waited out for an offer for the slimmer AF8 in a larger size.

MetsFanAtShea

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Hooked up a Samsung NU8000 55 inch set tonight. Holy shit. The clarity of this thing is so beautiful. The colors just pop so much. I had a Samsung 40 inch since 2010 and the step up is just insane shit. Played with the apps,streamed some vintage tv in Battlestar Galactica and Miami Vice,used the fast motion feature to make them look better,does a nice job on old content for sure. Will hook up my XBoxOneX and try Forza IV and Shadow of the TombRaider and see how this HDR thing plays out. The speakers are eh,ok,doesn't put out quite the volume of sound that my old Samsung does but I think I'm going to grab some blutooth speakers on Black Friday. I grabbed the tv at Best Buy for $750.00 total. Thought about getting the 65 but nope my bedroom is way too small for that beast. The NU8000 is a really nice tv overall. Didn't break the bank either,very happy with the quality so far. For example the upscalling on old movies is sweet. I ripped Wolverine Origins from a DVD into an Xvid format,inserted it into a USB stick,then plugged it into one of the USB slots on the tv and it looks so cleans and vibrant with the upscale. Going to rip my whole collection doing this and will grab a large flashstick for black Friday too I suppose. This shit is gonna be so good for movies :)

BTW- whats the best affordable 4K bluray player in terms of the most codec formats it can handle?
Stuff that can handle H265 and MKV would be a good start.
Thanks.

Last edited:

Cronus

Oct 31, 2017
The difference in shadow details between LG C7 and Sony X900E is just incredible. RDR in particular looks so much better on the Sony.

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017

8 feet away, 65" looks just about perfect from this distance.

For whatever reason, I forgot you had a B7, I thought you were in the I'm happy with it camp, out of curiosity, why did you get rid for a C8?

Size, my B7 is 55" and looked too small in my current set-up. If I had gone 65" last year when I bought the B7, I would have been more than fine keeping it as my main tv for another few years.

Oct 30, 2017
8 feet away, 65" looks just about perfect from this distance.

Size, my B7 is 55" and looked too small in my current set-up. If I had gone 65" last year when I bought the B7, I would have been more than fine keeping it as my main tv for another few years.
I currently have the same problem somehow. The wall is now bigger where the TV is hanging (new apartment), so it kinda looks out of place, not sure how to describe it. The 77 inch would be a little bit overkill, but would fit well in the space given.

Exophonics

One Winged Slayer
May 14, 2018
Looking for some help if possible. Obviously, Era gushes over the C8 and I myself am looking into the possibility of joining the bandwagon. However, I'm looking for a long-term TV solution (we'll say 10 years) and am pretty scared by the "Horrors of Burn-in".

Right now it's between the 55" LG C8 or 55" Samsung Q9FN (I'm European).

Let's say I want a 10 hour session of Smash Ultimate everyday for the week after release (and have the Pixel Refresher on when the TV is turned off), how worried or safe should I be? Over a 10 year period, how will this affect the TV? (Though I know nobody has had the C8/7 for that long so far...)

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017
I currently have the same problem somehow. The wall is now bigger where the TV is hanging (new apartment), so it kinda looks out of place, not sure how to describe it. The 77 inch would be a little bit overkill, but would fit well in the space given.

Go for 77" if you have the room for it, having a TV that's too big is easier to deal with than one that's too small. I'm never cheaping out on size again.

BurnKnuckle21

Nov 17, 2017
Wasn't there a deal for the C8 a week or two ago for just over 2,000? Whyis everyone acting like that Amazon deal is such a steal?