• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
So you're saying Warm2 has a green bias even in ISF modes without WB/CMS settings? I refuse to adjust those, they should only be adjusted using proper tools by someone who knows what they're doing on your specific panel in your specific room. After all this time, why is this green bias just now being found by this guy and not by the various calibrators before?
If you try to load up the same settings for SDR Technicolor Expert and ISF Expert (Dark Room) and then cycle between them you won't see any difference at all as they're carbon copy of each other.

That's why in the LG OLED settings thread I recommend to dial in the sonoftumble WB/CMS adjustments also for PC ISF Expert (Dark Room) profile in order to achieve the same great calibrated picture of SDR Technicolor but with 21ms input lag for gaming.

LG 2017 OLEDs panel variance is so low that you can still see a noticeable improvement over default WB/CMS with those settings, on your panel.

Deleted member 13250

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Holy moly. Vizio P and dolby vision is quite spectacular! Never knew what I was missing with FALD too. Upgraded from a Sony X800d(served me well) and it's a noticeable step up in quality.

Only Problem is there is a dead pixel almost dead center of the screen. Only really notice it when I play games tho... hmmm might have to exchange. Uniformity is fantastic tho :/

OP
OP
Bumrush

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
Got Planet Earth 2 and Blue Planet 2 on UHD and yeah, they're legit. Breathtaking visuals...probably the best I've ever seen.

Apr 21, 2018
sonoftumble settings never look good of my panel, to much -red in both rgb and cms settings killing the saturation, also the 2 ponit white balance kill a little red making the green bias more pronounced.

if you compare the WB settings in different reviews on the OLED 7 series, you will NEVER find the same settings, too much panel variance.

l live happy with the recommendation that both jreff and wifi spy(the dude that works wth calman) say on the AVS forums, if you will NEVER EVER calibrate, just use technicolor mode/isf dark and adjust oled light to your room, AND DONE, no rare settings, not CMS or WB, this will give you the best of your display, for better of worse.

and yes, this include bt1886 gamma(a love it btw, 2.2 makes everything like a cheap LCD image, totally washed out and desatured)

suikoder

Oct 25, 2017
Anybody uses Hisense newish TVs for gaming? Never heard of that company until recently, but I've seen 4K TV I'd kinda can afford and was curious how these perform.

I already lost hope OLED ever will be affordable and I need new TV for gaming already, I don't think my plasma will stay alive for long.

Brhoom

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kuwait
Anybody uses Hisense newish TVs for gaming? Never heard of that company until recently, but I've seen 4K TV I'd kinda can afford and was curious how these perform.

I already lost hope OLED ever will be affordable and I need new TV for gaming already, I don't think my plasma will stay alive for long.

Where are you located?

Brhoom

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kuwait
I'm in EU, TVs are expensive, OLED are beyond sane price still, even old models are way above 1K €

Here are some links that may help you:

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/best/by-price/under-500

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/best/by-price/under-1000

I'm not sure what is your budget, but if you can afford it then try to find a Sony X900F or X900E (F is for the 2018 model while E is for the 2017 model)

The TVs in the above two links are budget TVs, so read each review to see which one suits you best since each TV will have to sacrifice something to reach that price. For example, the Samsung Nu8000 is an excellent TV for gaming thanks to the low lag and having VRR, but doesn't have great black levels due to its lack of a full array local dimming.

Deleted member 16452

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is a C8. The 2018 models don't have the edge enhancer option. Default is 10.

Leave it at default levels.

Thankfully I haven't felt the need to change TV settings on my C8 in a while now.

edit: Went to Costco today and saw the 55" C8 at $1650, and I think they had no 65" C8s left in stock so I couldn't see their price.

$1650 is a pretty good deal honestly, I paid $2150 for mine 3 months ago.

Greekboy™

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Trutone in Mississauga has the LG C8 for $2,999 and the E8 for $3,599 before taxes.

Also noticed that 2001 AV has the same prices ($2 cheaper for each model) so I'm guessing Best Buy will also be matching these prices very soon.

Last edited:

Deleted member 16452

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is LGs OLED TVs the best, or are Sony and Samsung just as good?

Samsung doesn't sell OLED TVs, they only sell LCD.

The other brands that sell OLEDs are Sony, Panasonic (not in the US), and Philips (not in the US). They all use OLED panels they buy from LG Display, because its the only company manufacturing those panels right now.

All OLEDs tend to be similar regardless of brand for this reason, some have their pros and cons, but are still very similar.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
Does LG Dolby Vision still have that forced Cinemotion or whatever? Hated that you couldn't disable it .... enough to stop me from buying an LG this holiday season.

data

Oct 25, 2017
With black Friday and Cyber Monday coming up, I decided to look for a TV for the old folks as theirs has been crapping out.

While there is no budget per se, I would like to make the best of this holiday to get them something good for a deal.

What are the best tvs for more older folks (better for the eyes and stuff) and durable (don't want something thatll crap out in a year or two)?

It'll mostly be attached to a computer for them to watch things online (they're not the most tech savvy) and won't be really used for heavy gaming. The size limit is 55' to 65' due to spacing.

Thanks to anyone who can help.

Psykoboy2

Oct 27, 2017
Alabama
Anyone have any tips for things that come with buying a new TV?

The best analogy I can come up with is when you're having a baby and you get the room prepared and stuff. I also don't plan on ever having kids so that might be a horrible analogy.

I'm planning to get the 65" C8. I'm going to need to clear out space around my current TV and get it prepared to dismount it from the wall. I'm just trying to think ahead and remember times previous when I've not been prepared for things and had to make multiple trips back to the store for things I forgot on the initial trip. Also, is there a list of "must see" 4k material? I know the Planet 2 series, but outside of documentaries but movies and such.

TC McQueen

Oct 27, 2017
With black Friday and Cyber Monday coming up, I decided to look for a TV for the old folks as theirs has been crapping out.

While there is no budget per se, I would like to make the best of this holiday to get them something good for a deal.

What are the best tvs for more older folks (better for the eyes and stuff) and durable (don't want something thatll crap out in a year or two)?

It'll mostly be attached to a computer for them to watch things online (they're not the most tech savvy) and won't be really used for heavy gaming. The size limit is 55' to 65' due to spacing.

Thanks to anyone who can help.
Try checking out this thread:
https://www.resetera.com/threads/u-s-black-friday-tv-deals-4k-on-the-cheap.81591/

OP
OP
Bumrush

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
2Bee do you have the discs for PE2? The image is gorgeous but the very first sky they show on disc one has color banding on the OLED. Can you test it for me on your end?

natjjohn

Oct 25, 2017
Classic debate question. Quality vs size?

Specifically for me, currently have an LG OLED gallery tv as main TV. It's the one with the speaker frame. TV has been great, but ultimately moved some years ago and it being 55 inches has been limiting as it's now in a much larger room. So starting to soft look at TVs and debating between going with a new LG OLED (65 inch) OR going for a much larger Samsung QLED (75 inch or 82 inch) which I know the picture quality won't match the OLED but even at the larger sizes, will come in cheaper than the OLED.

What do folks on ERA think if had to make the same choice?

Also, since losing the speaker frame either way, will feel obligated to get an av receiver and some speakers for decent sound.

OP
OP
Bumrush

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
Which UHD player are you using? I sent one from Sony back because it did not support DV in the end. There is one from LG I think that is pretty good?

I'm using the LG UBK90 which is awesome. I've been impressed with UHDs but even more impressed with how it displays blus and DVDs

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I finally updated my receiver to support 4k - was preciously going through my TV for all video and using ARC for audio

Most things seem ok, but PS4 pro isn't liking it. If I set the receiver up for 'enhanced 4k' I get no picture. If I set it for standard 4k, then I get a 4K SDR picture, and HDR games switch to 1080p.

Apple TV and Xbox both seem fine at 4k HDR in enhanced mode.

But i'm using exactly the same HDMI cable from my PSVR breakout box to the receiver, that I was using direct to my TV. Tried two other spares I had lying round and the same thing.

Do I just have to buy another '4k HDR' HDMI cable from amazon or anything else I can try first?

DOTDASHDOT

Helios Abandoned. Atropos Conquered.
Oct 26, 2017
I finally updated my receiver to support 4k - was preciously going through my TV for all video and using ARC for audio

Most things seem ok, but PS4 pro isn't liking it. If I set the receiver up for 'enhanced 4k' I get no picture. If I set it for standard 4k, then I get a 4K SDR picture, and HDR games switch to 1080p.

Apple TV and Xbox both seem fine at 4k HDR in enhanced mode.

But i'm using exactly the same HDMI cable from my PSVR breakout box to the receiver, that I was using direct to my TV. Tried two other spares I had lying round and the same thing.

Do I just have to buy another '4k HDR' HDMI cable from amazon or anything else I can try first?

If you are using other devices like an Xbox One X or PC at 4K 60hz 10bit and they are fine, it's definitely the cable.

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017
Amazon has the 65" C8 for $2400 right now.

Best Buy price matches Amazon right?
lupe1.png

woo

Nov 11, 2017
I'm using the LG UBK90 which is awesome. I've been impressed with UHDs but even more impressed with how it displays blus and DVDs

That is on my radar for when I get a 4K tv. I have been meaning to ask in here how it gets on with an LG tv. Since both are LG does it mean that one can get by with using only one remote for both, or anything? I can't remember what tv you currently have so please forgive me if I am asking you something you can't answer. I currently am trying to resist the temptation of the LG C8 after seeing the OLED tvs in my local tv emporium recently. They took my breath away. I don't have any device that would feel the benefit of a 4K tv so would need to get a UHD player too but I am so tempted despite the cost. The C8 can be had for £1600 and that is Black Friday pricing so it's not exactly cheap. I can make do with my 1080i 42" plasma and can't really justify such an expense on a luxury, non essential item but.....

OP
OP
Bumrush

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017

Nope. I look forward to discussing C8 settings with you in a few hours. Let me know when it's set up.

That is on my radar for when I get a 4K tv. I have been meaning to ask in here how it gets on with an LG tv. Since both are LG does it mean that one can get by with using only one remote for both, or anything? I can't remember what tv you currently have so please forgive me if I am asking you something you can't answer. I currently am trying to resist the temptation of the LG C8 after seeing the OLED tvs in my local tv emporium recently. They took my breath away. I don't have any device that would feel the benefit of a 4K tv so would need to get a UHD player too but I am so tempted despite the cost. The C8 can be had for £1600 and that is Black Friday pricing so it's not exactly cheap. I can make do with my 1080i 42" plasma and can't really justify such an expense on a luxury, non essential item but.....

I'm rocking a C8, but unfortunately I'm using a Harmony Companion so I'm not sure how the remote situation works otherwise. The player is awesome and the C8 is easily the nicest set I've ever seen

Last edited:

woo

Nov 11, 2017
I'm rocking a C8, but unfortunately I'm using a Harmony Companion so I'm not sure how the remote situation works otherwise. The player is awesome and the C8 is easily the nicest set I've ever seen

Ah yes, I had forgotten about your Harmony. Nice to hear your kind words about the C8 although it's not doing much for my resolution!