• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I don't know who he tryna fool here

At this point his base is just waiting for instructions. They don't believe. They know he's an incompetent liar. But he's their team.

A significant number of them even know he's lying to them and he's disloyal - but he hates the same things they hate and because obedience is rewarded with praise -- while disobedience is punished with insults -- and they just prefer the former.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Most of the actual research/work is done by member states which is then collated and shared via the WHO (think of them as a channel or platform for medicine worldwide). The majority of work is not done by WHO. The WHO helps coordinates between countries, but to be honest there's hardly any of that right now. Maybe defunding is a bad move, but the criticism is right. Their "avoidance" of politic fights IS a political stance that ignores important data/strategies in Taiwan that may help fight the virus.
So the WHO is a shit organization that does nothing but it's also a travesty that they don't let Taiwan in?
Okay.

The WHO is a critically important organization who does important, dangerous work to fight global pandemics. They are critical for global coordination and essential, lifesaving resource for poor countries who don't always have the resources and expertise to fight those diseases. They are health experts, doctors and epidemiologists, some of the best in the world, and when people start to get sick in a way we don't really understand, they get on a plane a go there. No mater how dangerous the disease or how unsafe the country. They lose people in every one of those outbreaks, they lost people during SARS, they lost people to Ebola, they lost people to swine flu, they lost people to AIDS.

America is trying to undermine it because Republicans hate the UN, and I think it's not only gross, it's amazingly irresponsible and it will get people killed.

Lishi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This isn't wrong either. WHO officials have outright ignored Taiwan and continue to treat it like a part of China, parroting the CCP stance.

While Trump is probably using this to deflect his own failures, Trump's criticisms aren't entirely wrong either. WHO have been slow to declare it a pandemic. It should've been in Jan/Feb, not March.

Is it a right decision to defund the WHO and let China fund them outright? Not sure though. The whole UN stinks of corruption and money hatting.

That is disinformation that people keep spreading without thinking...

The Taiwan issue is separate issue from how they handled the crisis.
WHO is a UN organization. UN don't recognize Taiwan, so they don't recognize in writing that they exists as separate entities.
But that don't mean that they don't consider their policy or the research they emit.

Information sharing on COVID-19

WHO’s focus at all times is to ensure that all areas of the globe have the information they need to manage the health of their people. In a recent interview, the WHO official who headed the joint international mission to China, did not answer a question on Taiwan’s response to the COVID-19...

The question of Taiwanese membership in WHO is up to WHO Member States, not WHO staff. However, WHO is working closely with all health authorities who are facing the current coronavirus pandemic, including Taiwanese health experts.

The Taiwanese caseload is low relative to population. We continue to follow developments closely. WHO is taking lessons learned from all areas, including Taiwanese health authorities, to share best practices globally.

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
www.axios.com

Timeline: The early days of China's coronavirus outbreak and cover-up

Serious measures were delayed for about 3 weeks.

Actually according to this study, we could have avoided catastrophe if China didn't orchestrate a massive coverup.

We have the luxury of judging past decisions in Wuhan that were made without knowledge of the virus from a position where we have full / almost full knowledge. Hind sight is 20/20. During the month of December it appeared to be nothing more than a flu. So the local and provincial government and the ccp was downplaying what seemed to them like a flu. Despite that, and despite being the first country to be ht, and despite lacking knowledge they've responded faster and better than all most countries in the West.

The virus just sneaks up on the health system. Single case, single cases, people with fever, and in a span of a week it goes from nothing to your hospitals being overwhelmed.

Oct 29, 2017
Have you guys been not paying attention to the WHO though? I am the last person to approve of ANYTHING Trump does or says, ESPECIALLY with how he and his shit administration of shitheads have handled the covid-19 pandemic. But this is the only time I think I've ever agreed with a single thing that's ever happened in the history of his existence. The WHO are corrupt as fuck...China basically owns them.

What is stupid about this shit though, is he and his administration dropped the ball as bad or worse. He's just using this as a distraction/blame game tactic to excuse his shitty management/delayed response of covid-19 hitting the US.

Xpike

Oct 25, 2017
why is trumps only strategy for any negotiation is to withhold money and hope the other party admits they need the money

Lishi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Have you guys been not paying attention to the WHO though? I am the last person to approve of ANYTHING Trump does or says, ESPECIALLY with how he and his shit administration of shitheads have handled the covid-19 pandemic. But this is the only time I think I've ever agreed with a single thing that's ever happened in the history of his existence. The WHO are corrupt as fuck...China basically owns them.

What is stupid about this shit though, is he and his administration dropped the ball as bad or worse. He's just using this as a distraction/blame game tactic to excuse his shitty management/delayed response of covid-19 hitting the US.

Taiwan is not official recognized by US itself, do you expect a UN agency to officially recognize them?

Here is their stance on this and it's perfectly reasonable. (btw they ignore taiwan it's fake news)

WHO’s focus at all times is to ensure that all areas of the globe have the information they need to manage the health of their people. In a recent interview, the WHO official who headed the joint international mission to China, did not answer a question on Taiwan’s response to the COVID-19...
The question of Taiwanese membership in WHO is up to WHO Member States, not WHO staff. However, WHO is working closely with all health authorities who are facing the current coronavirus pandemic, including Taiwanese health experts.

The Taiwanese caseload is low relative to population. We continue to follow developments closely. WHO is taking lessons learned from all areas, including Taiwanese health authorities, to share best practices globally.

With respect to the COVID-19 outbreak, the WHO Secretariat works with Taiwanese health experts and authorities, following established procedures, to facilitate a fast and effective response and ensure connection and information flow.

• There is a Taiwanese International Health Regulations Point of Contact, who receives IHR (2005) communications and has access to the Event Information Site (EIS) Platform (a password-protected database and information exchange mechanism supporting the IHR (2005)).
  • The Taiwanese Field Epidemiology Training Program is a member of the Training Programs in Epidemiology and Public Health Interventions Network (also known as "TEPHINET"). WHO shares Global Outbreak Alert and Response Network alerts and requests for assistance with TEPHINET, and those messages are cascaded to the TEPHINET members.
  • Two Taiwanese public health experts participated in the Global Research and Innovation Forum organized by WHO on 11-12 February 2020, thus contributing, alongside other world scientists, including from mainland China, to critical research questions and to finding ways to work together to advance the response.​

Kaseoki

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
So the WHO is a shit organization that does nothing but it's also a travesty that they don't let Taiwan in?
Okay.

The WHO is a critically important organization who does important, dangerous work to fight global pandemics. They are critical for global coordination and essential, lifesaving resource for poor countries who don't always have the resources and expertise to fight those diseases. They are health experts, doctors and epidemiologists, some of the best in the world, and when people start to get sick in a way we don't really understand, they get on a plane a go there. No mater how dangerous the disease or how unsafe the country. They lose people in every one of those outbreaks, they lost people during SARS, they lost people to Ebola, they lost people to swine flu, they lost people to AIDS.

America is trying to undermine it because Republicans hate the UN, and I think it's not only gross, it's amazingly irresponsible and it will get people killed.

I agree with you. There are so many UN professionals who are willing to risk their lives for the sake of the world and humanity. But the problem is that their work is done in vain if it is not communicated properly to the rest of the world. If an inspector believes that there should be a lockdown, but due to Chinese politics the Director General says "nope, everything's fine, no human-to-human transmission, no need to impose travel bans", then their work is in vain and people are dying in the tens of thousands all over the world.

I'm not denying that they do great work and that their heart is at the right place. I'm saying that the system is bogged down by bureaucracy and cannot be trusted with all the misinformation and lies that China feeds through it. The West are paying the price for depending on what was believed to be accurate and quick decision making from the WHO officials.

The idea of the WHO is great. Execution was even not too bad in the past. But China has taken over it's operations (or it has allowed China to mislead it) and we are basically listening to an extension of the CCP. It's useless and trash right now. Funding the health ministries of South Korea, Singapore, and Taiwan with that money would get you better accurate information. Let's not forget those Chinese-made test kits which are basically useless.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Like, the WHO has problems but dropping funding for them, especially now, is nutso.

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017
I agree with you. There are so many UN professionals who are willing to risk their lives for the sake of the world and humanity. But the problem is that their work is done in vain if it is not communicated properly to the rest of the world. If an inspector believes that there should be a lockdown, but due to Chinese politics the Director General says "nope, everything's fine, no human-to-human transmission, no need to impose travel bans", then their work is in vain and people are dying in the tens of thousands all over the world.

I'm not denying that they do great work and that their heart is at the right place. I'm saying that the system is bogged down by bureaucracy and cannot be trusted with all the misinformation and lies that China feeds through it. The West are paying the price for depending on what was believed to be accurate and quick decision making from the WHO officials.

The idea of the WHO is great. Execution was even not too bad in the past. But China has taken over it's operations (or it has allowed China to mislead it) and we are basically listening to an extension of the CCP. It's useless and trash right now. Funding the health ministries of South Korea, Singapore, and Taiwan with that money would get you better accurate information. Let's not forget those Chinese-made test kits which are basically useless.

Please, the West was ignoring the WHO even after they made changes to their policy. And I'm still unsure if it's less malicious and more that, jsut like the west, China initially underestimated the virus too.

And honestly Singapore just announced shutdowns to non-essential businesses so they might have been too complacent too.

Kaseoki

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
That is disinformation that people keep spreading without thinking...

The Taiwan issue is separate issue from how they handled the crisis.
WHO is a UN organization. UN don't recognize Taiwan, so they don't recognize in writing that they exists as separate entities.
But that don't mean that they don't consider their policy or the research they emit.

That's basically code for "We'll use Taiwanese data if politics doesn't get in the way".

The whole world knows Taiwan not being recognised as an independent state is bullshit. This is all politics and nothing to do with saving lives.

I know the UN wants to do good. But it's failing at it miserable. I want the UN and WHO to do well, but I am seeing rogue states like China and Russia using it to manoeuvre their shitty policies, so I have lost all hope in those organizations.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The saddest and most fucked up part of all this, is that he's lowered the bar so far that this will skirt by like everything else, and will just continue to lower the bar. It's unbelievable. Whether you want to call him a fucking idiot or a genius (he's an idiot), Trump has undoubtedly gotten the US to play along with his terms at this point.

Last edited:

Lishi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

That is the difference between reading the tabloid and reading with a professional prospective behind it.
All the WHO statement had something like

'with the current evidence in hand', 'actual data' etc

They always said be careful and get prepared because it can go either way.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
At this point his base is just waiting for instructions. They don't believe. They know he's an incompetent liar. But he's their team.

A significant number of them even know he's lying to them and he's disloyal - but he hates the same things they hate and because obedience is rewarded with praise -- while disobedience is punished with insults -- and they just prefer the former.

Just look at a number of posts in this thread.

The disinformation campaign and gas-lighting is working.

Lishi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's basically code for "We'll use Taiwanese data if politics doesn't get in the way".

The whole world knows Taiwan not being recognised as an independent state is bullshit. This is all politics and nothing to do with saving lives.

I know the UN wants to do good. But it's failing at it miserable. I want the UN and WHO to do well, but I am seeing rogue states like China and Russia using it to manoeuvre their shitty policies, so I have lost all hope in those organizations.

Open the link and actually read it.

To me it say we will use Taiwan data and depoliticize it so we don't take a stance on it.

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017

Though why would we need taiwan's data? They're not being effected that much. The real control case data the world needs is in Wuhan.

Unless you meant an independant Taiwan source collating data from Wuhan which I would agree with, but that's impossible to get and we all know why lol.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

None of that shit happened.
Please stop with these conspiracy theories, it was a new virus, we didn't know shit about it, as more data came in our understanding of it became better.
This virus can have long incubation time, most people have mild symptoms and many are asymptomatic. We didn't even have a way to test it at first. It was not immediately clear how it spreads, and it wasn't because evil politics. And it's not like you can run experiments on humans. We are still not sure exactly how infectious it is and under what conditions.
There is no evidence that at any point in the WHO didn't report the best understanding of that disease that they have.

Kaseoki

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Can you prove it?

To me it say we will use Taiwan data and depoliticize it so we don't take a stance on it.

Can't unless we find some insider. For now both of our stances stand. I don't necessarily disagree with you. I am just very wary from what I have seen and have taken a very pessimistic view of the WHO.

Though why would we need taiwan's data? They're not being effected that much. The real control case data the world needs is in Wuhan.

Unless you meant an independant Taiwan source collating data from Wuhan which I would agree with, but that's impossible to get and we all know why lol.

Usually, opposing states will host many organizations that will find smuggled data/information e.g. news about NK is mostly found in SK organizations. The same in Taiwan. I would trust reliable data about China coming from Taiwan, than data coming straight from the CCP.

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017
Can't unless we find some insider. For now both of our stances stand. I don't necessarily disagree with you. I am just very wary from what I have seen and have taken a very pessimistic view of the WHO.

Usually, opposing states will host many organizations that will find smuggled data/information e.g. news about NK is mostly found in SK organizations. The same in Taiwan. I would trust reliable data about China coming from Taiwan, than data coming straight from the CCP.

But is Taiwan offering that data? Genuinely curious because I'm not sure.

Oct 25, 2017
Please stop with these conspiracy theories, it was a new virus, we didn't know shit about it, as more data came in our understanding of it became better.
This virus can have long incubation time, most people have mild symptoms and many are asymptomatic. We didn't even have a way to test it at first. It was not immediately clear how it spreads, and it wasn't because evil politics. And it's not like you can run experiments on humans. We are still not sure exactly how infectious it is and under what conditions.
There is no evidence that at any point in the WHO didn't report the best understanding of that disease that they have.
I think the scientists at WHO mean well, statements like this will look really bad when people look back tho.
mobile.reuters.com

WHO chief says widespread travel bans not needed to beat China virus

World Health Organization chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said on Monday there was no need for measures that "unnecessarily interfere with international travel and trade" in trying to halt the spread of a coronavirus that has killed 361 people in China.

Lishi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

this was in the link.

There are in the loop and they are collaborating actively, not to use their data and contribution would be bad science, nothing to do with politics.

• There is a Taiwanese International Health Regulations Point of Contact, who receives IHR (2005) communications and has access to the Event Information Site (EIS) Platform (a password-protected database and information exchange mechanism supporting the IHR (2005)).
  • The Taiwanese Field Epidemiology Training Program is a member of the Training Programs in Epidemiology and Public Health Interventions Network (also known as "TEPHINET"). WHO shares Global Outbreak Alert and Response Network alerts and requests for assistance with TEPHINET, and those messages are cascaded to the TEPHINET members.
  • Two Taiwanese public health experts participated in the Global Research and Innovation Forum organized by WHO on 11-12 February 2020, thus contributing, alongside other world scientists, including from mainland China, to critical research questions and to finding ways to work together to advance the response.​

Kaseoki

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017

Conspiracy theories? Do you really believe China only has 80,000 cases and 3,000 so deaths, while USA is at over 300,000 cases and near 10,000 deaths?

The WHO is happy to use those numbers as the official figures. The WHO is okay with accepting false numbers. The WHO is publishing fake information from China. Even Chinese people know those numbers are fake as hell and even pro-CCP papers are publishing on the mismatch numbers.

www.scmp.com

Funeral parlour report fans fears over Wuhan coronavirus death toll

Magazine quotes truck driver saying he delivered thousands of funeral urns to facilities in the city last week.

There is no evidence that at any point in the WHO didn't report the best understanding of that disease that they have. But there isn't any evidence of the WHO did their best to report it either. So please don't call my views conspiracy theories. There are many who are mistrusting of China, and for good reason.

Kaseoki

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
this was in the link.

There are in the loop and they are collaborating actively, not to use their data and contribution would be bad science, nothing to do with politics.

Anyone who works in marketing/PR/communications knows that says absolutely nothing. That's all just PR talk.

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017
Conspiracy theories? Do you really believe China only has 80,000 cases and 3,000 so deaths, while USA is at over 300,000 cases and near 10,000 deaths?

The WHO is happy to use those numbers as the official figures. The WHO is okay with accepting false numbers. The WHO is publishing fake information from China. Even Chinese people know those numbers are fake as hell and even pro-CCP papers are publishing on the mismatch numbers.

www.scmp.com

Funeral parlour report fans fears over Wuhan coronavirus death toll

Magazine quotes truck driver saying he delivered thousands of funeral urns to facilities in the city last week.

There is no evidence that at any point in the WHO didn't report the best understanding of that disease that they have. But there isn't any evidence of the WHO did their best to report it either. So please don't call my views conspiracy theories. There are many who are mistrusting of China, and for good reason.

Isn't like every country heavily underreporting on deaths?

Honestly though, one thing I never really understood about these theories about China hiding numbers deliberately is like... what do they gain? Why are people treating it like it's a competition and the country with the least deaths/cases wins something?

Kaseoki

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Isn't like every country heavily underreporting on deaths?

There's obviously going to be some under reporting whether that's because they're counting it differently or just not testing. But you can't just ignore dead body counts.

When you have 1/5th of the world's population, the epicenter origin, as well as let everyone go home for Chinese New Year in the world's largest internal migration, yeah those numbers are fucking bullshit and the WHO are pedalling with it and letting China report fake data.

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017
There's obviously going to be some under reporting whether that's because they're counting it differently or just not testing. But you can't just ignore dead body counts.

When you have 1/5th of the world's population, the epicenter origin, as well as let everyone go home for Chinese New Year in the world's largest internal migration, yeah those numbers are fucking bullshit and the WHO are pedalling with it and letting China report fake data.

I mean, with every other country not being able to fully collect data, and also reports of China's tests not being the best, Occam's Razor states that they're probably failing at collecting data like most of the world rather than hiding it for some secret nefarious purpose. Especially when they're the first case and had to develop first generation of tests which are obviously not going to be the most effective.

And they can only report what they've tested.

Bedlam

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Literally every single thing he does is wrong.

Disgusting.

And big fucking LOL at the few, ignorant people here trashing the WHO.

Kaseoki

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
But is Taiwan offering that data? Genuinely curious because I'm not sure.

I don't know. But if there was a whistleblower who actually knows the full extent and has vital information they want to share but aren't allowed to because of CCP policies, they would most likely hand themselves in to Taiwan. There's been several cases in the past.

Kaseoki

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, with every other country not being able to fully collect data, and also reports of China's tests not being the best, Occam's Razor states that they're probably failing at collecting data rather than hiding it for some secret nefarious purpose.

And they can only report what they've tested.

How are they failing to report all those dead people who got cremated together? The cremation factory has that number so why is the official figure still so low?

The Nightsky

Oct 27, 2017
Even on resetera, Trump is kind of successful in shifting the focus and the blame.

Disgusting.

Trump didn't do sh*t for weeks (months?) after it was obvious things were going to get bad. This is basically all he ever does, goes after flaws/mistakes in others to make people talk about that instead. "WHO isn't perfect so they are to blame". "China did some things wrong so they are to blame". Makes people ignore that if Trump had done something even close to acting as quickly as possible, the US could have likely saved tens of thousands of lives.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Can't believe people here are carrying water for him when he's just trying to pass the blame of his catastrophically bad response.

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017
How are they failing to report all those dead people who got cremated together? The cremation factory has that number so why is the official figure still so low?

You know that in a 3 month period a lot more people are going to just naturally die right? The virus didn't suddenly make all non-virus related deaths not happen.

Now think about the effects of a 3 month long intense enforced isolation and the people that wil die from anxiety/stress/depression/suicide due to that.

Kaseoki

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Literally every single thing he does is wrong.

Disgusting.

And big fucking LOL at the few, ignorant people here trashing the WHO.

Even on resetera, Trump is kind of successful in shifting the focus and the blame.

Disgusting.

Trump didn't do sh*t for weeks (months?) after it was obvious things were going to get bad. This is basically all he ever does, goes after flaws/mistakes in others to make people talk about that instead. "WHO isn't perfect so they are to blame". "China did some things wrong so they are to blame". Makes people ignore that if Trump had done something even close to acting as quickly as possible, the US could have likely saved tens of thousands of lives.

I wonder if people actually read the thread? I think Trump is trash, but WHO is also trash. Just because people think WHO is trash doesn't mean they support Trump. Nothing is ever so black and white guys.

Oct 25, 2017
Oh my god. The amount of deflection in his statement is astounding.

The deaths in America are HIS fuckup. Not WHO's and not China's.

Kaseoki

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
You know that in a 3 month period a lot more people are going to just naturally die right? The virus didn't suddenly make all non-virus related deaths not happen.

Now think about the effects of a 3 month long intense enforced isolation and the people that wil die from anxiety/stress/depression/suicide due to that.

Yes I thought about that of course. But 3,000 or so is still way too low. Do you really believe only 3,000 people died from the virus?

Liha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Salzburg, Austria
LOL at People here trashing the WHO and agree with Trump. The WHO is a neutral institution and doesn't support any political party or agenda. Taiwan is a province of China and only 14 out of 193 countries disagree with that.

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA

Wuhan is a city of 11 million people. Every months there are at least hundreds of deaths. The initial swamp of hospitals were absolute chaos.

When this ordeal blows over we can use advanced analytics to estimate what China's numbers should have been based on timelines, measures, etc. I doubt it'll be an order of magnitude difference from reported numbers like US intelligence is suggesting. 40,000 dead!

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017
Yes I thought about that of course. But 3,000 or so is still way too low. Do you really believe only 3,000 people died from the virus?

No, but I also think the numbers all around are under-reported because right now everyone's capacity to test is pretty much shit. But I would believe that they at least did contain it pretty well through drastic measures that are only available to an authoratarian state compared to what is going on in America.

This is not me saying that being an authoratarian state is a good thing btw

The Nightsky

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if people actually read the thread? I think Trump is trash, but WHO is also trash. Just because people think WHO is trash doesn't mean they support Trump. Nothing is ever so black and white guys.
He wants people to talk about others mistakes instead of his own. He's very successful at doing this and it's one of the biggest reasons he became president.

Equating WHO and Trump is already so way beyond anything that is grounded in reality that we're passed the point of truth on this matter as well, just like anything Trump touches. One isn't perfect, the other is the second biggest virus the planet is dealing with currently.