• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

S1kkZ

Oct 27, 2017
i dont expect many new game announcements from sony at the august state of play. maybe 1 new game that is a bit further off (like fall 2021).
what i expect, is a ton of gameplay from the launch titles: spider-man mm, destruction all-stars, returnal, kiera, dark souls and maybe real gameplay from horizon 2.

it seemed weird to me that many launch games had almost no gameplay during the june showcase.

Glimpse_Dog

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
All the games in a show!

Yeah so they'll need to prove that. They announced several games that looked good and ended up disappointing me a lot.

Like, from Sony I'll expect their games to be at least good.
From MS im not expecting that so I have no reason to buy a SeX. If they turns out to be good, Lockhart is there to be bought a few years down the road!

But One completely killed my faith on their first party quality, so I'll wait for impressions when they'll come out

That's fair enough. One bitten, twice shy. And yes, they do need to 'prove it' but I don't really think they're gonna fall and trip now that all the hard work from the last few years is almost done.

Hence why I said it's so "very far out"

GoW2 is not going to move the needle for people considering picking up the PS5 this year. That was my whole point.

Agreed, in fact I'd say GoW2 is late 2022 earliest. It'll move the needle on a PS5 pro but shouldn't/won't factor into most people's buying decision for the base PS5 this year.

pbayne

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017
Wonder if sony managed to snag any third party exclusives or is it just third parties are gonna show their games at sonys next thing

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
I like it long and slow, if you will, so am enjoying the console daddies taking their time giving me the goods. Which is to say - I hope they show some awesome games I want to play.

AllBizness

Banned
Mar 22, 2020
I don't think that holding back was smart. Sony had a chance to make the best first next gen impression after the "misstep" by xbox. Now it looks like Xbox will still have the opportunity to make that first impression and it looks like it will be a big one.
They already made their 1st impression.

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
Wonder if sony managed to snag any third party exclusives or is it just third parties are gonna show their games at sonys next thing
At worst it'll be a timed exclusive. I doubt you'll see many, if any, third party exclusives. Too expensive for devs to do that unless Sony pays them an insane amount of money (unlikely)

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I mean... at this point you SHOULD know better lmao

When was the last Sony-developed RPG?

Internally-developed? Legend of Dragoon. Externally-developed? Bloodborne (technically), then White Knight Chronicles 2 before that. It's like the one genre they seem unwilling to even try to engage.

upinsmoke

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This has been known for a while if you believe Jeff Grubb (I think!) As he initially said a while back before Sony's presser that not everything he was expecting was going to be shown.

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Internally-developed? Legend of Dragoon. Externally-developed? Bloodborne (technically), then White Knight Chronicles 2 before that. It's like the one genre they seem unwilling to even try to engage.
So even if we count Bloodborne, that was 2015. And the offers during the previous gen (PS3) had already been somewhat slim to begin with.

Expecting more RPG's from them feels pretty pointless. Maybe they'll surprise us all, but chances seem low tbh.

Raven Prime

Oct 31, 2017
I think it's a very smart move. I also have the sneaking suspicion that the PS5 might be capable of more tricks than have revealed thus far, if true it would definitely help bring massive attention back to PS5 in the case the Microsoft event delivers.
Sony might have been subtly been hinting at it all along, and it has everything to do with why Shakespeare's The Tempest seems to feature so heavily into everything related PS5, even being codenamed Prospero a figure with great magical power:

"Graves at my command have waked their sleepers, oped, and let 'em forth, by my so potent Art." -
Act V, scene 1.

I wonder if the Tempest Engine with it's Cell-like SPE architecture, might even double as some sort of hardware emulation of the PS3's innards. Time will tell if this is just wishful thinking. But if the PS5 would enable some sort of BC for all the previous generations, this would undoubtedly be truly massive.

RdN

Oct 31, 2017
Don't wanna rain on anyone's parade here.. But, isn't this completely and utterly obvious?

Sony has received, deservedly, flack for announcing titles that are/were years and years away from release. It's smart of them to improve on that, because, in the end, Sony has an amazing portfolio of studios. They must have A LOT of stuff in the pipeline.

Sasliquid

Oct 25, 2017
I just want to see Re:Fantasy sooner rather than later and know it'll push the tech envelope by Atlus standards

DeathyG

Oct 27, 2017
NW Indiana
Well yeah. Jim Ryan referred the to PS5 event as a "first glimpse" so they obviously got a lot more to show.

Silent Hill or whatever Toyama is working on is definitely one if the big ones.

Magio

Apr 14, 2020
Well yeah. Jim Ryan referred the to PS5 event as a "first glimpse" so they obviously got a lot more to show.

Silent Hill or whatever Toyama is working on is definitely one if the big ones.

To be fair, every E3 conference ever has the company holding it saying "we'll have much more to share later", and 99% of the time there isn't much to show that year.

But, this year everyone seems to agree that Sony has a few big things still in store, and Jeff Grubb said before the June event that Sony was planning for it some huge-ass showing but split it in two because of Covid (if you're gonna throw a huge physical event, you show everything there, if it's gonna be digital spacing it out makes sense).

Now, if we assume that that's really what happened, Sony either put everything worth a look in June knowing full well they'd only have crumbs left for August (which seems like an odd way to do things), or they tried to balance things out a bit and both shows will have plenty.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
I have to agree. Personally, I wasn't that impressed. Lacked that mind blowing moment for me, and we didn't even get gameplay for Horizon 2 and DeS. A bit too much of a focus on smaller games as well, would've liked more major 3rd party titles featured like a RE8.

It was a show focused on multiple game reveals, so I understand their approach. Hoping that going forward we get more of a focus on gameplay footage for exclusives, and more big 3rd parties featured.

There will be a continious focus on smaller games for the next 2 years, otherwise they wouldn´t have launched the "Playstation Indies" program...

it will be the exact same as with the PS4 start: many cross gen games, some "ultra definitive" editions of older games and many indies to pad out droughts between exclusives. "real" next gen will be rolling from 2022 onwards.

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
How? It makes good business sense.
giphy.gif

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
Maybe I am wrong but I feel like at this point most people already know whether they are getting a PS5 or Xbox and that these shows are mainly to hype and excite those people about their future purchase.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
One would hope. There's still a lot to know about the system and the launch lineup.

Their first show sold me on the notion that Sony is bringing some strong first party content in the first year, but seeing more along with more specifics on the systems and services seems like a necessary event.

Maybe I am wrong but I feel like at this point most people already know whether they are getting a PS5 or Xbox and that these shows are mainly to hype and excite those people about their future purchase.

This is a very enthusiast perspective. A lot of people here were never open to an argument for the opposite console to begin with and dug in with with their talking points as soon as information was released. So of course it seems like everyone here has already made their decision.

Last edited:

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think at this point it's less "they're holding things back" and more "marketing schedules are a thing". It doesn't make sense to show literally everything you have all at once because then you're out of stuff to show.

This.

If they show everything then they will have nothing to show for a while to come.

Then people will just whine about there being no new announcements.