• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

PachaelD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
There will also be TGS in September and Sony might show off their third party JP partners there as well.

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The entire point is if sony had more amazing games they should have showed them In June and they would have owned next gen talk for 1.5 months. Now you have given MSFT, who have essentially been waiting 5+ years for a fresh start, a chance to own the next gen talk heading into launch. Sony has already showed a lot from it's internal teams, it unlikely they have much more new content to show in August.

So it's better to own next gen talk for 1.5 months and let microsoft own next talk all the way to launch? holding on on more games to show in august makes sony stay relevant in the next gen talk.

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
I have to agree. Personally, I wasn't that impressed. Lacked that mind blowing moment for me, and we didn't even get gameplay for Horizon 2 and DeS. A bit too much of a focus on smaller games as well, would've liked more major 3rd party titles featured like a RE8.

It was a show focused on multiple game reveals, so I understand their approach. Hoping that going forward we get more of a focus on gameplay footage for exclusives, and more big 3rd parties featured.
This is probably why I'm meh on it.

A big WOW gameplay demo was really needed. They didn't have one.

DeS with seemless world traditions and insane graphics or some Horizon gameplay would have done it.

azfaru

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Damn. Loving this back and forth between MS and Sony. It's fun watching big corporations duke it out.

Testobjekt

Jan 23, 2018
Germany
You should add a "boy" in your username.

giphy.gif

Pat002

Banned
Dec 4, 2019
No.....Halo is a way more important game than any of those titles except Gran Turismo.

Halo franchise total sales = 60 million since 2001
Ratchet and Clank franchise total sales = 16 million since 2002

Sales aside, Halo is one of the most iconic franchises in gaming. Ratchet and Horizon don't even hold a candle to the series.
Why are you comparing one title to one title series?
If Halo, Forza, Fable and Perfect Dark are there do you really want to say they're bigger together than what Sony presented?
I'm not talking about quality, I'm just saying that by pure interest/sales etc what Sony put there was incredible. They got Spider-Man there dude, alone 13M views.

LeMillion

Jun 9, 2020
Awesome news. I did notice that the PS5 reveal event seemed focused on launch window for the most part. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see teases for stuff like God of War 2 and Spider-Man 2 in due time. Even if those games are a year or two out.

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019
PS5 reveal definitely did not deliver on the expectations.

Go back and read the OT of the event.

Annecdotaly speaking , friends and family weren't excited by any of the game reveals
Yeah 25 million views... It didn't delivey.

Maybe u don't like Sony games and it is fine... but an event with Spiderman spin off, Horizon 2, GT 7, Ratchet, Demons Souls remake didn't delivery I don't know what will delivery.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
That's exactly what i stated. Outside of Ratchet & Clank and Flight Sim, I have yet to see "next gen" gameplay.

The entire point is if sony had more amazing games they should have showed them In June and they would have owned next gen talk for 1.5 months. Now you have given MSFT, who have essentially been waiting 5+ years for a fresh start, a chance to own the next gen talk heading into launch. Sony has already showed a lot from it's internal teams, it unlikely they have much more new content to show in August.
MS still has the Xbox Series S console reveal. Dude, lower your expectations. MS generally has more to show and its ok.

Sony doesnt need to "own 2 months" to have a good launch. They will have a solid launch.

Here is what will make or break either one. Console prices. We won't know until August or Sept because they are playing cat mouse game. Either way, MS still has the upper hand from the rumors going on. I dont think you should focus who is "winning" but focus more on specific details we are in dire need of. (Console tear down, BC info, OS info etc)

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, the Era bubble is strongest than ever. Good for them to spare some ammunitions, it's not like it made the previous showing less successful.

Sia

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 9, 2020
Canada
This is almost every single showing any game company has put on, people here don't know how to manage expectations, trying to hold any company to expectations set here is ridiculous.

They showed 9 first party game's, most in established franchises that people love, it definitely delivered.

Sony showed off more first party games than Xbox will likely have over the next 3 years and people are still acting concerned and disappointed.

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
This is almost every single showing any game company has put on, people here don't know how to manage expectations, trying to hold any company to expectations set here is ridiculous.

They showed 9 first party game's, most in established franchises that people love, it definitely delivered.
Yeah 25 million views... It didn't delivey.

Maybe u don't like Sony games and it is fine... but an event with Spiderman spin off, Horizon 2, GT 7, Ratchet, Demons Souls remake didn't delivery I don't know what will delivery.
An event with a showpiece gameplay showing to make people think "damn this is next gen".

The UE5 demo was more impressive than anything on show.

Small trailers for games we knew were coming with little gameplay doesn't make a great show.

Glimpse_Dog

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Why are you comparing one title to one title series?
If Halo, Forza, Fable and Perfect Dark are there do you really want to say they're bigger together than what Sony presented?
I'm not talking about quality, I'm just saying that by pure interest/sales etc what Sony put there was incredible. They got Spider-Man there dude, alone 13M views.

I compared an entire series to an entire series. Halo has 60 million franchise sales, Ratchet has 16 million. Ratchet has also realease 11 mainline titles while Halo has released 7.

I understand you're not talking about quality as obviously a Fable or Perfect Dark are gonna be a huge deal from that perspective, but I just wanted to point out from a purely sales perspective, Halo is a juggernaut.

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
Social media interactions and viewings are more indicative of the brand power PlayStation has.

Not the quality of the show.,

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
I don't think that holding back was smart. Sony had a chance to make the best first next gen impression after the "misstep" by xbox. Now it looks like Xbox will still have the opportunity to make that first impression and it looks like it will be a big one.

Disagree. The initial reveal was some crazy show of dreams, for sure, but in the grand scheme of console reveals, it was good. Assuming the stuff they've held is decently big (Silent Hill/God of War/FFXVI, talk about next-gen enhancements to their PS4 games like Bloodborne) they'd do a decent job of depriving Microsoft at least some of the oxygen around their reveal. Best case scenario for the Xbox show in terms of exclusives would probably be something like Halo/Fable/Forza/Hellblade/Perfect Dark/that Rare fame they had a trailer for/an Obsidian RPG, maybe Outer Worlds 2? And while they while they said Psychonauts 2's PS4 version is unaffected, I could see them saying that it's Series X only for next-gen enhancements, no PS5 patch. Which would be by far the best MS first party has looked in the past decade, but also something where Sony could still reasonably claim to have a pretty strong first-party advantage if they get out there quickly with a second showing.

There's also the issue of announcing the price. Holding games to show at the same time softens that blow, since it's pretty clear they don't think people will be happy about the price.

Sense

Oct 25, 2017
Sony got exactly what it wanted from the event without revealing anything mind blowing. I can see why some maybe disappointed but the event was aimed at a mass market and hence the broad range of titles aimed at different age groups. It was never going to satisfy a hardcore crowd

Pat002

Banned
Dec 4, 2019
I compared an entire series to an entire series. Halo has 60 million franchise sales, Ratchet has 16 million. Ratchet has also realease 11 mainline titles while Halo has released 7.

I understand you're not talking about quality as obviously a Fable or Perfect Dark are gonna be a huge deal from that perspective, but I just wanted to point out from a purely sales perspective, Halo is a juggernaut.
But you gotta put all together mate.
And not, I'm not sure about Fable or Perfect Dark quality as 3/4 of Xbox output this gen for me has been mediocre at best.

But just personally I'm not excited at all in another Fable and surely not in Perfect Dark coming back but again, this are just personal preferences.

B.O.O.M.

Oct 25, 2017
lmfao the salt is REAL with some posters in here. Who the actual fuck thought the SOny showcase wasn't good? I get one not liking the games/franchises they focused on or whatever. But to actually it wasn't good? With so many first party unveiling including a lot of gameplay? New first party IP unveiling? Seeing some really cool third party titles like RE8 and Deathloop?

Yeah some people are just trolling now. Apparently view numbers, consumer engagement metrics, media outlet reviews etc don't count. The event really made some ppl real insecure it seems and it's gonna get more insufferable in the coming months I guess

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Social media interactions and viewings are more indicative of the brand power PlayStation has.

Not the quality of the show.,

Yes it is. Just look at the May Inside Xbox. Do you think there was so much backlash and disappointment because the Xbox's lack of brand power and not the quality of the show?

Spedfrom

Oct 27, 2017
Sony literally debuted with GT7, Horizon 2, Spider-Man, Demons Souls, Ratchet e Clank just for their first party studios. In total 9 exclusives.

If you think Xbox is gonna match this hype just with Fable, Perfect Dark and Halo... idk. Reception for the Ps5 event was absurd.
As a PlayStation fan I'm pretty sure Microsoft will use whatever all their old and new first parties have done in the meantime to try and stun us completely with amazing games. It might just be smoke and mirrors or it might not, we will only find out later. But I'm fully expecting them to have a knock out presentation to combat Sony's offerings.

However, Sony has the August State of Play saved up.

Oct 25, 2017
An event with a showpiece gameplay showing to make people think "damn this is next gen".

The UE5 demo was more impressive than anything on show.

Small trailers for games we knew were coming with little gameplay doesn't make a great show.

You knew Ratchet and Clank was coming? Miles Morales? Really?

Ratchet and Clank showing was a true next gen showing for me and many others.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Era bubble I guess. I remember once the event was over for the next few days regular people even at my work were talking about and how excited they were.

It was a positive event, if it wasn't it would've been disliked to oblivion. Don't pretend it wouldn't we've seen such things happen before as well as constant mockery on social media.

I get people wanting more gameplay instead of trailers, and wanting more. That makes sense but let's not generalize it as if the show was viewed by the mainstream as a negative one similar to the Road to PS5 or Inside Xbox.

Hockeymac18

Nov 14, 2017
Sonys ps5 reveal did feel like things had been held back somewhat so thus is good news.

But I'd much rather we go back to the e3 style blowout from both sides. I don't like the drip drip.

I'd prefer a drip drip of regular updates to this. What we seem to be getting are intermittent small gushes every few weeks...I would take really small details being discussed weekly. Even if the "big stuff" wasn't towards the end of the summer.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Well, yeah. At every stage of a new console rollout, you have to show new things. We never get everything all in one go.

And beyond the initial rollout, it's this way too. You never get a completely comprehensive snapshot of everything that's in the pipeline, there's always stuff TBA. This isn't so much a matter of some unprecedented game of cat and mouse between Sony and MS, as just normal platform marketing.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Era bubble I guess. I remember once the event was over for the next few days regular people even at my work were talking about and how excited they were.

It was a positive event, if it wasn't it would've been disliked to oblivion. Don't pretend it wouldn't we've seen such things happen before as well as constant mockery on social media.

Yup, there were months of "Sony's silence is concerning..." posts and threads, and Sony pretty much showed that they had a quite a number of PS5 games deep in development and ready for the first year

Glimpse_Dog

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
But you gotta put all together mate.
And not, I'm not sure about Fable or Perfect Dark quality as 3/4 of Xbox output this gen for me has been mediocre at best.

But just personally I'm not excited at all in another Fable and surely not in Perfect Dark coming back but again, this are just personal preferences.

I agree that xbox output has been mediocre this gen, but Microsoft have spent several years making sure that won't happen again.

And what do you mean 'put all together'?