• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017

Believe.
olwmaer.gif

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I'm still not getting my hopes up for any RPGs. I've been burned too damn many times at this point.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Was it smart to hold it back? Didn't feel like the initial unveil set the world on fire. We'll see if/how it all comes out I guess

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
This next SoP is gonna be big. We're gonna get gameplay for games like Spider-Man Miles Morales, GT7 and hopefully Horizon 2, and some new reveals.

Fizie

Jan 21, 2018
The reveal showcase was lacking, so good to know it's because they held some back - lets hope August makes up for it.

Oct 25, 2017
I cannot wait to look back at this State of Play in 5 years time when Final Fantasy XVI is still not out and reminisce about the reveal.

Euron

Oct 27, 2017
It would be nice to get release windows at least. If something like Silent Hill isn't expected in 2021 be up front about it.

Still, if all the games Sony showed at the reveal event are available within the first calendar year of the PS5, that's the best start a Sony console has had since the PS2.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
We talking action RPGs, FFXVI, or bonafide old-school JRPGs?

I would like actual exclusive RPGs on PS5, with party mechanics and diverse casts of playable characters. I don't care where they're made.

I'm so tired of generic open world action games with some light "RPG mechanics" stapled onto them.

a916

Oct 25, 2017
Sony's ace up the sleeve... Knack 3 - MASTAPIECE

Sony out here trying to play chess lol... wild mind games going on here, with this and the price stuff.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Was it smart to hold it back? Didn't feel like the initial unveil set the world on fire. We'll see if/how it all comes out I guess
I would say the number of views(highest watched gaming event ) with the 98% like ratio says otherwise. Any company would be happy with those type of results imo.

OT: Great. More games is always good

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
I imagine they've definitely got stuff in the pipeline that they can safely announce for 2021 and beyond, but if they actually held back on a major title that is ready for launch - that does not seem like a smart move.

True_fan

Banned
Mar 19, 2020
I don't think that holding back was smart. Sony had a chance to make the best first next gen impression after the "misstep" by xbox. Now it looks like Xbox will still have the opportunity to make that first impression and it looks like it will be a big one.

Pat002

Banned
Dec 4, 2019
Its obvious how they want to win this gen already in the first year, they're having a crazy first year compared to PS4.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think that holding back was smart. Sony had a chance to make the best first next gen impression after the "misstep" by xbox. Now it looks like Xbox will still have the opportunity to make that first impression and it looks like it will be a big one.
Um they already did that with their showcase.

rrc1594

Oct 25, 2017
These companies need to stop playing tic-tack-toe. I hope MS doesn't hold anything back because Sony held things back. It's very annoying!

gnexus

Mar 30, 2018
Grand theft auto PSVice City! 1080p120!

silent hill is actually an Xbox exclusive

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

By this logic, since MS already had game reveals, Sony still has a chance to make a first impression, lol.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
Not surprising that they'd hold some things back (though that doesn't necessarily mean MASSIVE things), because it's not like they want to essentially cede all major news to Microsoft in July and August, running into pre-orders.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

How do you figure? They announced a bunch of stuff their hardcore fans are into. They saved some games for after Microsoft's event. Would you prefer they showed everything in June and then let Microsoft just own the entire rest of the summer?

To be fair in the last gen transition, RPGs, even more JRPGs, were one of the last genres to be announced for PS4.

And a RPG from Sony seems more unlikely as the years passes.

I'm well aware. But I don't buy consoles for multiplatform games so Sony really needs to cover my genre if they want me to get invested. I'm not spending $500+ on a console just to play some games I could get anywhere.

PRrambo_

PlayStation.jif
Oct 25, 2017

They did make a big first impression though, maybe not with you personally but social media was pretty abuzz about their show.

Pat002

Banned
Dec 4, 2019
Sony literally debuted with GT7, Horizon 2, Spider-Man, Demons Souls, Ratchet e Clank just for their first party studios. In total 9 exclusives.

If you think Xbox is gonna match this hype just with Fable, Perfect Dark and Halo... idk. Reception for the Ps5 event was absurd.