Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
VIRTUAL TRAFFIC JAMS are you kidding me.

Yes — that's exactly what I want when playing a game to help me forget about the everyday stresses in life!

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
So business as usual at Xbox.

I have very strong doubts about Xbox lasting 2 more gens. Microsoft suits are focusing on Enterprise. If they go "all in" as in spend a lot of money and still come in 3rd I could see the division getting cut way back. Sonys 1st party devs are all in crazy beast mode right now it seems and come 2020 when it's new console decision time if ps5 has BC and costs $399 MS won't have a chance.
We have been hearing this since the original Xbox but they are still here and getting ready for another generation.

potatohead

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Earthbound
I don't think Microsoft cares about exclusives or sees them as their big draw. They're essentially going back to the strategy of the original Xbox and touting being the most powerful system available. It's just that in the past while that might have draw exclusives, and exclusives might have been a good way to show this off, nowadays devs are more multiplatform centric and their aim has instead been to show that they have the best looking/performing version of those games
you're very confused if you think og xbox gameplan did not include exclusives

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You're right, Phil did say that. However, the Xbox Wire post about E3 said they would show their lineup for 2018 "and beyond."

My guess is they show a two year roadmap.
Yeah I was thinking about that caveat when I was writing my reply. I think beyond must be any title that'll make it for 2019, but the fact they've said "beyond" has me really excited.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Future is always online and streaming. Sony can't carry SP offline bandwagon for long. When online infrastructure improves and everyone will go there then they will follow suit.

Cloud streaming, and perhaps hybrid approaches, will definitely grow in application and sophistication next gen. It's a logical prediction.

I think it's also how Sony and MS will approach the question of Switch and play-anywhere convenience... a deeper extension of remote play than we currently have, on generic devices. I'm quite optimistic about what hybrid approaches might offer.

I don't think Sony is sleeping on this by the way. I mean, they have made multiple acquisitions in the area, and actually have a commercial product available now. I think the role will be more pronounced next gen though, for both MS and Sony.

Lord Brady

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
5 years later and they're still talking about the cloud? Good luck with that. Maybe they'll release that Crackdown cloud-based game they've been talking about for as long as the console has existed.

EdgeXL

Oct 27, 2017
California
I don't know how people ever saw Microsoft's investment into backwards compatability, powerful hardware, cross platform play, Game Pass and Play Anywhere and see a company exiting the gaming business.

It's definitely hope rather than realism for many. Going to be some feet stomping and tears when Microsoft come out with another round of new hardware.

You are attempting to use rational thought to analyze an irrational premise. The idea that MS is leaving the console market has been floating around since 2011 (probably even earlier than that but 2011 is when I first noticed it.)

In 2016 Microsoft announced two consoles on the day and some people rushed to post how Microsoft was leaving the console industry. I wager that in 2025 Era will still have quite a few users assuring us that MS is leaving the console market.

rapid32.5

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
what's the reward for finishing first or second or third for fans of big corporations ? Last gen nobody won in my eyes, since MS failed with hardware quality and Sony failed to deliver multiplatform games/ports. This gen, it is the similar story only they both switched places.

Oct 27, 2017
Good to hear that they're investing heavily in content. It aligns with what MS has been saying.

Their 1st party content is pretty thin right now and they've been getting a lot of flak for it. People need to be patient. It took Sony years to build up to the point that they're at now, and it will take MS just as long.

I don't know where this weird narrative has come from that Sony's studios are only good recently, because excepting a handful of years Sony's first party output has been consistently good all the way back to the PS1 days. And besides that, Microsoft have been in the console business since 2001 which should be more than enough time to formulate and stabilise their in-house line up, so the whole "give them time" excuse is a load of horseshit. And then you've got the fact that last gen they had many more studios under Don Mattrick than they currently do, before a bunch were shut down a few years ago.

RevenantAxe

Banned
Apr 16, 2018
5 years later and they're still talking about the cloud? Good luck with that. Maybe they'll release that Crackdown cloud-based game they've been talking about for as long as the console has existed.

Can't judge cloud tech based on how it works in Crackdown. It's not just for games. It's Satya Nadella's baby. His vision is much more grandeur than gaming .

Crackdown development troubles were not cloud related but something else as far as I know.

logash

Oct 27, 2017
it is not in a bubble. Let's take a couple examples. 1) you still cannot change your PSN name. This is a feature you can change on any other platform and has been asked for by Sony gamers for YEARS. 2) they responded to BC by calling it very difficult and don't know how they did it. That was from Shuhei. C'mon, it couldn't have been that hard to do, but they invested all that time and money into Gaikei so they decided to say "it was too hard" instead. People buying the PS4 while this is happening are speaking with their wallets telling Sony that they do not need to make any of the same decisions MS did. Speaking with our wallets is the only way this industry will listen. Phil has done an incredible job picking up the pieces that Don Mattrick threw all over the place.
Uhh, I agree with everything you are saying. I only specifically mentioned that you are wrong when you said Sony players only care about exclusives because I am a Sony player and I care about what Xbox is doing. I don't think that me only having a PS4 takes away from the fact that I also want to be able to change my PSN name and play my PS3 games. You're right that actions speak louder than words but I really don't think not buying a Sony console is the only option. These things are more complicated than that for people like me and others on the Sony side.

Oct 27, 2017
The original Xbox had a lot of great exclusives, or at least console exclusives. Plus the power difference meant many games were SIGNIFICANTLY worse on other platforms, to the point where features had to be cut down.

Thing is, in this day and age you need a ton of resources to build good AAA games at a good clip, and Microsoft does not currently have these resources. They need to scale up and can't keep relying on a shrinking pool of independent partners. This is just the reality of the situation.

you're very confused if you think og xbox gameplan did not include exclusives

I think you guys are both misunderstanding what I'm saying. I'm not saying the original Xbox didn't have exclusives since it clearly did, I'm saying that back then the combination of its power advantage and the economics of game development led to many exclusives or multiplatform games that were overwhelmingly better on it to the point they might as well have been (like Splinter Cell). Nowadays, despite the X also touting a power advantage over the Pro, this really only leads to marginally superior performance and graphics in multiplatform games, and none to the point where other versions are essentially unplayable in comparison

Papaya

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
California
They need to invest in software too. Microsoft's first party offerings have been severely lacking. Nintendo just had Zelda and Mario, while Sony had Horizon and God of War...it's obvious how far behind they are. Things looked so positive during the 360 era.

Jumpman64

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
If only J Allard could of behaved like a normal person and not have sex with other people's wives. We would still have him in charge and the Xbox one would of been awesome.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Good. Hope they go all in with the cloud gaming stuff. Truly fascinating and I'm interested to see what they can do beyond Crackdown 3. Together with Gamepass it could be really interesting, they could have a fluent switch of generations with BC and Gamepass. Really cool.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
The way generations work, there should be no issue overtaking Sony if they say or do the right things. I don't think there's a lot of cross-generational loyalty for a majority of people who play games.

Assuming both have full BC next gen, the combination of that and much larger digital collections makes this generation much stickier than previous ones. It won't be a complete reset like usual.

RF Switch

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I still cant get over the fact there is a company pouring tons of resources to make gaming better and gamers hate it. So weird to me

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know where this weird narrative has come from that Sony's studios are only good recently, because excepting a handful of years Sony's first party output has been consistently good all the way back to the PS1 days. And besides that, Microsoft have been in the console business since 2001 which should be more than enough time to formulate and stabilise their in-house line up, so the whole "give them time" excuse is a load of horseshit. And then you've got the fact that last gen they had many more studios under Don Mattrick than they currently do, before a bunch were shut down a few years ago.

Yup ps1 had spyro and crash as well as GT and some other games like twisted metal, syphon filter and medieval. Then on PS2 they had the platforming trio of Jak/Ratchet/Sly as well as GT and created God of War and of course Killzone too. They also put level 5 on the map with the Dark Cloud games. I think in the ps2 gen they also started with the MLB the Show series. And we all know how PS3 and this gen has gone as it's fairly recent history.

Sure it may take a while to develop a stable first party if you start now since big games can take up to 5 years to release now but who's fault is that? MS has had nearly 20 years to do this and they slacked off for most of that time. They don't deserve our patience or our sympathy now.

Wiifitkid

Mar 12, 2018
Fable is the only Microsoft franchise that excites me....well and some rare stuff. But they've done nothing with most of their franchises.
I do hope they invest more in software next generation. Their hardware always looks good, but the gaming experiences are what matters most.

Will be interesting to see how the streaming piece turns out.

Oct 27, 2017
what's the reward for finishing first or second or third for fans of big corporations ? Last gen nobody won in my eyes, since MS failed with hardware quality and Sony failed to deliver multiplatform games/ports. This gen, it is the similar story only they both switched places.

The reward is "does it make business sense for the company who makes the shit I buy to keep making the hardware, games and services that I enjoy?". If the answer to that is "Yes" then hey, you're in luck, winner!

Oh wait, no it isn't. Gaming can only support one good platform at a time and they must all fight for the sales and metacritic scores until there can only be one.

In a world of services I think sales figures are becoming increasingly easy to ignore for the majority of gamers. Over 2017 and 2018 I've bought into Xbox Live and Game Pass in quite a big way. If those services are still running, accessible and complete in 5/10/15/20 years time then that's a "win" for me as a consumer. Fuck all the other bullshit.

Stilton Disco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Does anyone remember back towards the end of last generation, when we suddenly started getting lots of articles and opinion pieces all saying about how Microsoft was going to win the next generation, were far Moreno tech savvy, able to spend more, commutes to gaming just in general and that they were simply, objectively, better than Sony? Regardless of the fact Sony had better exclusive games and were generally a stronger, more appealing brand to everyone outside the US?

Don't know why I'm suddenly reminded of that!

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sounds promising but...
Does this sounds exciting to anyone?

Edit. lol beaten
Yeah when I got to that part I was like...what?

Ok a journalist say what he think about Ms and we have
- usual ppl not happy because the things that the journalist imagine about the future of cloud computing are not exciting for them so : f**k u Ms
- usual ppl not happy because they heard about Ms money so many times so : f**k u Ms
- usual ppl not happy because of they want Ms store on PC so : f**k u Ms
- usual ppl not happy because they don't know who thurrot is so : f**k u Ms
- usual ppl not happy because they haven't a good breakfast this morning so : f**k u Ms
Ahahah cmon guys ...give ms a break

You really are putting in work. Keep fighting the good fight.

Apr 5, 2018
Keizer, OR
Uhh, I agree with everything you are saying. I only specifically mentioned that you are wrong when you said Sony players only care about exclusives because I am a Sony player and I care about what Xbox is doing. I don't think that me only having a PS4 takes away from the fact that I also want to be able to change my PSN name and play my PS3 games. You're right that actions speak louder than words but I really don't think not buying a Sony console is the only option. These things are more complicated than that for people like me and others on the Sony side.
fair enough. Also, I was absolutely guilty of generalizing there, my bad. I did so because that is "generally" all you here from the Sony side is the exclusive this and exclusive that.

As for the wallet, it is not the only option but look at EA's response to people not buying Battlefront 2 after the lootbox fiasco. It is changing there company wide initiative they clearly were working on. So maybe not the only option, but it is on that will make an impact. wallets not opening for Xbox got Spencer in there and all of the pro-consumer stuff started.

Nov 12, 2017
Give it a break. Some people are just not gonna agree with you about what is positive or negative, or even if there is anything noteworthy about an article like this. You calling these people ms haters and implying Era is a Sony hivemind as you keep doing in every thread is childish and quite frankly insulting.

In the first place ..pls do not put words in my mouth that I did not say.

I have never called Era any of this...there are several users in a forum and fortunately not all are the same
..and you are using the exact same philosophy and the same way of responding that was used on the old forum to silence those who pointed out that some criticized in a sterile and presumably without even having read the article.
It's silly to criticize this article, and you know why? because this article says practically nothing that can be criticized unless you want to do it voluntarily.
Are you against Ms looking for gddr6 expertise? or against the release of a new physical console (maybe in 3 years)? seriously? are you against Ms find a way to integrate streaming in a physical console without even having seen what it is? The waves in SoT as far as I know have physics calculated on the cloud and they seem well done. Do not you think?
It reads that Ms wants to invest more in gaming .... and some answer "F *** k your store on pc ms !!" ....
its pure non sense but we got used to it when we talk about ms. and you defending this?
in any case I was wrong to comment and to answer to you....because if you dont see it you are on that side too.
lets stop it here

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
While you guys are focusing on weather, this is what makes me hot.

" Microsoft is making significant investments in hardware/content to close the gap with Sony and has the financial backing to go all-in on gaming to win the next generation"

Ditto. No more saying TV 150 times at your presser.

I loved my 360 and would love to have a compelling reason to own all the consoles.

Oct 26, 2017
If they go on with money hating thridparty exclusives people will raise hell and that only hurts their image.

Yeah they can't be doing that. I guess they might start with splitting the big teams into two perhaps, maybe aquire a studio or two? Otherwise the first party efforts can't really improve. Maybe they are actually going to build new studios of their own?

When all is said and done I hope the big improvement will be SP games. And even though episodic would be ideal for game pass, I hope they'll bring big SP games and I don't need a MP mode perse.

New IP or actually bring back games from the first Xbox. There's definitely games they could bring back and have them have some sort of reimagining.

I kinda wish MS didn't have this new strategy of not announcing games that are too far out. Letting the people know what you have in the pipeline is never a bad thing. It brings excitement especially.

GamerEra

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Neither did Sony until Horizon came out.
TLOU, Uncharted have a similar aesthetic. Sony has always made AAA single player games. Horizon fit right in with Sony's exclusive lineup.

MS has publicly said they are going the GaaS route. I don't expect a AAA single player game like Horizon from them. I don't know why anyone would.

Deleted member 25108

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Does anyone remember back towards the end of last generation, when we suddenly started getting lots of articles and opinion pieces all saying about how Microsoft was going to win the next generation, were far Moreno tech savvy, able to spend more, commutes to gaming just in general and that they were simply, objectively, better than Sony? Regardless of the fact Sony had better exclusive games and were generally a stronger, more appealing brand to everyone outside the US?

Don't know why I'm suddenly reminded of that!

Written by the same people, no less.

This shit is clockwork.

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
TLOU, Uncharted have a similar aesthetic. Sony has always made AAA single player games. Horizon fit right in with Sony's exclusive lineup.

MS has publicly said they are going the GaaS route. I don't expect a AAA single player game like Horizon from them. I don't know why anyone would.
If game pass works out how they predict maybe they could?

xabbott

Oct 28, 2017
Florida
I believe Paul thurott if it's the same guy is a Microsoft schill I vaguely remember the name
This wasn't written by Thurrott, aside from that Paul has written a lot of criticism toward Microsoft. He's not a huge gamer or anything but I've listened to him on a few tech podcasts and he doesn't seem to pull punches when it comes to complaints about Windows, Surface, Windows Phone, etc.