get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
And thus starts anew the next generation cycle, where Microsoft's blank cheque means every franchise you've ever heard of will be an Xbox exclusive and the hardware will pack the power of a supercomputer and be sold for the price of a packet of Smarties.

On the actual topic at hand, though, it's going to be interesting to see what the next generation brings. I feel like, at this stage, all three of the manufacturers have deviated a bit and now have different focuses and priorities. Which is cool because it's rubbish when they're all doing more or less the same things. It's nice for the brands to have a bit of identity.

Arih

Jan 19, 2018
Everyday we are reminded that well crafted semi linear experiences are much better than uninteresting procedurally generated worlds and they are still pushing for procedurally generated games... Come on.

Oct 27, 2017
While you guys are focusing on weather, this is what makes me hot.

" Microsoft is making significant investments in hardware/content to close the gap with Sony and has the financial backing to go all-in on gaming to win the next generation"

I remember when they said they were making their biggest ever investment in software earlier this gen, and that was straight from an Xbox executive (Phil Harrison I believe).

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
Because there is really nothing in the article worth to discuss other than that, it's basically saying a platform holder is investing in next gen, well duh? You better invest if you're planning to make another console.
But is only an example, even talking about Microsoft plans to focus on streaming games next gen is more interesting.

By the way, I think stating that nex Xbox won't come till 2021 is in fact interesting.

xolsec

Feb 18, 2018
Sounds like cloud services and subscriptions to me.

The cloud part sounds really interesting, hopefully there can be a proper implementation next gen.

The_hypocrite

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Flyover State
Everyday we are reminded that well crafted semi linear experiences are much better than uninteresting procedurally generated worlds and they are still pushing for procedurally generated games... Come on.
This is an example of Microsoft stupidity. They have enough money to outspend their rivals and invest in games that are carefully crafted and polished. Instead of doing that they invest in low effort games that not showcase the power of their console.

Instead of using their strengths as an advantage the find the way to turn it into a weakness. Like how stupid can you be?

Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
Wat?

I was answering to this:

I don't see how that is exciting. It's still FIFA and sometimes it rains, sometimes it doesn't. I don't see how syncing it to real world weather makes it any more interesting.

And what you say in this post i'm responding to pretty much means always online for every game. And that went so well last time.
I'm not ok with always online games, I'm just talking about possibilities and how could be cool as a feature (not mandatory) for some games.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
No, what I mean is, once the Xbox Two comes out, will the X get ports of Xbox Two games while the One and One S get no more support after a couple years or so?

For example, let's say the year is 2021, and the XB2 has been on the market for a year, will Halo 7 be available on the X and XB2 or just the XB2? We know the S will be out of the question.
The X can't get anything that Xbox One and Xbox One S don't get. Again, this is if they didn't lie.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
I see that the power of the cloud is making a come back. MS better have a convincing show this time because last time they tried to show it it turned into a joke. Excited about the content investment tho. Hope some of that goes into sp games.

1.21Gigawatts

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Munich
Yeah I think the area where they need to invest most is 1st party studios. They need to foster some talent.
I think the importance of great exclusives games really showed these past few years.
A bunch of average exclusives aren't enough. You need a couple of those GotY contenders to make a splash.

base_two

Oct 27, 2017
The dismissal of the Switch's success and what audiences the console is appealing to by the media is quite shocking to me. The Switch is absolutely a direct competitor to the Xbox One, especially consider Sony currently has the console with a perceived stronger library and most gamers don't feel the need to own both consoles. Even if a gamers primary console is the Xbox One and secondary is the Switch, we see that some gamers are opting for the Switch version of ports that are available because of portability. Consumers looking for secondary consoles are going with the Switch because of its portability, and gamers when don't care for the current AAA third party offerings are skipping the two consoles entirely.

Anyway, I'm glad Microsoft is fully committed to the Xbox ecosystem including making good and powerful hardware to attempt to have a competitive edge over Sony's strategy. If they fix their exclusive game issue, I think they stand a good chance of gaining back some of the marketshare lost to the PS4's success this generation.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
1yfLJyxPKDOWh8L2dNEgntwMPmi6-8uAWdScQgGJZ2U.gif

Microsoft: Behold, the Game Console of the future, today!
Gamers: Yuck. Too cold and sterile. Where's the heart?
Microsoft: But it really works! It's rendering this room right now!
Gamers: You lose. Get off my property. Lets have the next console.

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA

hydrophilic attack

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
heads up, the author of this piece is NOT paul thurrot, but brad sams who is another writer at thurrott.com

so the thread title should say either brad sams or thurrott.com, but not thurrott because that makes people think the author is paul thurrott when he is not

feels kind of shitty to give someone else credit for another person's work

dyst

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Reminds me of the Milo presentation and how Milo could feel the users emotions.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds good but i'll probably celebrate when we can actually see the fruit of this, I mean they keep saying this every year and they're getting worse when it comes to first party output so... Hopefully they aren't GaaS though,

Nov 12, 2017
[QUOTE
What i did see is the persecution complex nonsense coming up faster than usual.
Pls saenima leave that "persecution complex" bs thing that was needed to give a free pass to Ms haters on the old forum ...I've zero and I mean z e r o.. persecution complex about a plastic box lol.....I just see the same usual ppl trying to turn a positive thing into a negative one..when is about Ms

Navid

Oct 26, 2017
As for the timeline for the next console release, I've heard that within three years is a realistic possibility; the company is not currently in a rush to replace the Xbox One X as it has a significant horsepower advantage when compared to the current offering from Sony. And as you would expect, the console will be backward and forwards compatible, much like the Xbox One X.
Am I reading this right in that it's saying that the next console from MS will require its games to be playable on the current consoles as well..?

If so that would be terrible in my opinion, the last thing I want is a new gen upgrade with new games still being forced to be compatible on old gen hardware.

Stoopkid

Oct 27, 2017
And thus starts anew the next generation cycle, where Microsoft's blank cheque means every franchise you've ever heard of will be an Xbox exclusive and the hardware will pack the power of a supercomputer and be sold for the price of a packet of Smarties.

On the actual topic at hand, though, it's going to be interesting to see what the next generation brings. I feel like, at this stage, all three of the manufacturers have deviated a bit and now have different focuses and priorities. Which is cool because it's rubbish when they're all doing more or less the same things. It's nice for the brands to have a bit of identity.

Maybe my memory is fuzzy but a certain member posting in this thread was pushing this hard on the last site lol.

Also 12gb gddr5!

Dec 20, 2017
I really don't get how investing in hardware is gonna close the gap- like the x is objectively more powerful than the pro, but that hasn't suddenly reversed Microsoft's fortunes. Does Microsoft think they their next console will be so technically superior to Sony's it'll be like the scale of difference between the Wii and 360/PS3?
Maybe they just mean investments in hardware innovation, but we already have a company that does that (Nintendo) and, regardless of whether Nintendo is doing well or poorly, its pretty clear that hardware innovation isn't great for 1:1 competition so much as it is for carving out your own section of the market.
I'm eager to see what Microsoft tries in the coming gen, but I feel like they're strategy is boxing them into a corner.

Trode

Mar 27, 2018
That's good news. Some of my fondest 7th gen memories were playing Fable, Viva Pinata and Halo on the 360. I love the weird quirky stuff that Microsoft funds and I want to see it in full force again.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I will believe that they're making a huge investment in software when I actually see it. I've heard that line quite a few times over the last decade and it's never really happened. They made a half assed attempt at the start of this gen but quickly backed down when none of their games took off in sales and also cancelled a bunch of 3rd party exclusives they had. It would be a huge change for MS since they don't like to focus on content. I mean unless they're just going to sign a bunch of 3rd party games again.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah got no doubt here with significantly more investment in content, Gamepass, Phil's hints, its absolutely happening.

Just look what they've done with hardware and services, once the content comes it's going to be an exciting time for gamers in general.

BDubsLegend

Banned
Jan 24, 2018
Guys guys can we stop overstating the importance of exclusives? U know that's all the rage but let's look at that real world. God of War is hot, it's popping off gonna sell pretty good for the next 2 months maybe pop off again around Christmas and award season. It's going to do pretty good. Now imagine Fortnite. Fortnite pops every month all year for multiple years. It's clearly going to make more than God of War this year and next year. These multi-player games are the true juggernauts. The future of the games industry. The games most people are playing. Look at COD, look at Overwatch.

Icespark

Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft isn't stupid. Microsoft game studios focus has been on multiplayer experiences because their priority was selling Xbox Live Subscriptions. I bet you when Rare was taken off making Kinect games (4 years ago) they were giving full reign to work on whatever they wanted as long as the game was multiplayer focused and that is why we got Sea of Thieves.

I don't think it's fair to call Microsoft stupid for the Online Multiplayer GAAS strategy as a lot of companies have shifted to that model, look at EA. Last year when Horizon Zero Dawn and Breath of the Wild came out and those were huge events that created lots of positive chatter for PS4 and Switch respectively it turned a lot of heads at Microsoft including Phil Spencer that investing in Single Player games was worthwhile because even if they don't recoup cost or drive Xbox Live subs they create big buzz Tentpole events for the brand. Microsoft restarting the Fable franchise confirms this shift in mindset and I think with Xbox GamePass they can better justify the cost of massive single player first party experiences so I think you will see a lot more of those going forward.

Zatoichi

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
MS have spent money before, going all in on gaming.

Its called Xbox and they have pumped massive money into it, can't hurt but painting it like money was what was missing is disingenuous.

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The way generations work, there should be no issue overtaking Sony if they say or do the right things. I don't think there's a lot of cross-generational loyalty for a majority of people who play games.
You really think Xbox is going to overtake the ps5 world wide? Well good luck
Let me remind you that the gap is like 30 million while the gap in us and Uk is only around 3-4 million.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
[QUOTE

Pls saenima leave that "persecution complex" bs thing that was needed to give a free pass to Ms haters on the old forum ...I've zero and I mean z e r o.. persecution complex about a plastic box lol.....I just see the same usual ppl trying to turn a positive thing into a negative one..when is about Ms

Give it a break. Some people are just not gonna agree with you about what is positive or negative, or even if there is anything noteworthy about an article like this. You calling these people ms haters and implying Era is a Sony hivemind as you keep doing in every thread is childish and quite frankly insulting.

Apr 5, 2018
Keizer, OR
MS has always done something wrong each gen which bit them on the foot and prevented them from taking the lion share. I hope this news pans out to keep Sony and Nintendo on their feet. Personally I am not happy how Sony has handled BC this gen, they need to take note from MS on this and hope they keep pushing it so it makes it harder to ignore for Sony.
Sony has no reason to listen to any of this. MS is making the most pro-consumer choices ever yet it does not produce the sales to beat Sony. Apparently all Sony players want are single player games and nothing else. Which is fine for them. I want/need more out of my Xbox. My phone is used for more than calls and I want my Xbox to be just as versatile. If Sony players don't want that they are being taken care of. MS provides most of what I want from my Xbox, yes more exclusives would be nice, but they don't diminish my experience.

logash

Oct 27, 2017
I really don't get how investing in hardware is gonna close the gap- like the x is objectively more powerful than the pro, but that hasn't suddenly reversed Microsoft's fortunes. Does Microsoft think they their next console will be so technically superior to Sony's it'll be like the scale of difference between the Wii and 360/PS3?
Maybe they just mean investments in hardware innovation, but we already have a company that does that (Nintendo) and, regardless of whether Nintendo is doing well or poorly, its pretty clear that hardware innovation isn't great for 1:1 competition so much as it is for carving out your own section of the market.
I'm eager to see what Microsoft tries in the coming gen, but I feel like they're strategy is boxing them into a corner.
Idk, I've been excited about Xbox recently and maybe everything in this article is true but that doesn't mean that they cannot also focus on first party content. You have Phil Spencer tweeting about them trying and that it will take time. Them making great hardware does not mean they are not gonna make good games.

Deleted member 8408

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
THIS example maybe not but its amazing to think that real world changes could affect our game. Imagine Fifa, starts to rain because the city you are playing is raining now.

I mean... Project cars and Assetto Corsa already do this on the PC. It's nothing radical.

Most games (sports and racing games stand to gain the most) could have this feature today if developers decided it would be worth implementing a "current real world conditions" option.

koutoru

Oct 27, 2017
If by forwards compatibility they mean cloud streaming newer games on the older consoles, then I could see that working.

Implementing forwards comparability at the hardware level would hold back newer games to the older hardware.

lupianwolf

Oct 27, 2017
So when are we going to see the fruits of all this investment because it sounds like a couple more years of nothing.

Red Alert

Banned
Mar 25, 2018
They can throw every money chest they got but if they don't open studios or make them new ips instead of same shit , it will be all like beginning of gen with NFL deal, CoD deals .

garbage.