Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Sooo no mans sky....ya that worked out well.

NMS was procedurally-generated, not computed in the cloud. Cloud computing is a pipe dream for everyone outside of highly-controlled network environments.*

*not an expert, but I doubt you can turn your console into a supercomputer through spotty Wifi connections.

predrag

Oct 27, 2017
I like how people are focusing on his example of dynamically updated environment instead on increased funding for gaming.

Apex88

Jan 15, 2018
It always seems to me Sony and Nintendo focus on the basics. Affordable hardware and huge investment in 1st party and game dev tech. At Microsoft streaming, media, services, cloud etc. seem to take centre stage.

If you laid out each companies bullet points they'd be pretty similar. The difference is what they prioritise.

Oh yeah, and forward compatibility is never a good thing. Limiting your new hardware to the older machines capabilities will never see systems maximised. It's why the powerful One X is struggling to show its full potential.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
Given Microsoft's track record, I don't think we should read much into this, they always say they're investing more in gaming, but it doesn't really show.
And in order to "win" next-gen they need to do more than fix their flaws, they need to make PlayStation fans move away from PlayStation, and that's not necessarily something you can do with money.

Figments

Spencer’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
California
statham Everyone ignores the positive line and goes straight for Cloud Gaming 2.0 and "everything was still crossgen"-esque talking points.

rebelcrusader

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hope the forward compatibility bit isn't true.

Its not forced...they have spoken to this

Lets say the next gta comes out in the last year of the xbox one lifecycle - rockstar could update the game to support xbox one, x and next...so that one game would be natively playable on both gens of consoles with updated features for the next gen

But games would not have to do this...they could be next gen only

Just think if we had this with gta v

xabbott

Oct 28, 2017
Florida
I think its pretty arguable that the Switch has carved out a "casual market" chunk and is in no way a competitor for the Xbox.
I think it would be like considering the mobile market a competitor. I agree at the end of the day all games or even entertainment can be seen as competition. As far as Microsoft or Sony is concerned though chasing Nintendo by trying to make a similar product or games wouldn't work out for them.

logash

Oct 27, 2017
The way generations work, there should be no issue overtaking Sony if they say or do the right things. I don't think there's a lot of cross-generational loyalty for a majority of people who play games.
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't this mostly true in the UK and US (mostly in the US)? The rest of the world is pretty much locked in for Sony.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
While you guys are focusing on weather, this is what makes me hot.

" Microsoft is making significant investments in hardware/content to close the gap with Sony and has the financial backing to go all-in on gaming to win the next generation"
Phil talked about this in November in that Bloomberg interview. Can't wait to see what they have planned.

Oct 27, 2017
Good to hear that they're investing heavily in content. It aligns with what MS has been saying.

Their 1st party content is pretty thin right now and they've been getting a lot of flak for it. People need to be patient. It took Sony years to build up to the point that they're at now, and it will take MS just as long.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand why this thread is focused on the cloud comment when there's a lot of other points to discuss here.
We've known that MS isn't giving up on cloud stuff. Just they are reworking how to do it. My hope is that reworking means that
not all of their games become online only. We don't need that.

How can you rework something that you haven't even shown works yet? Where is Crackdown 3?!

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think Microsoft cares about exclusives or sees them as their big draw. They're essentially going back to the strategy of the original Xbox and touting being the most powerful system available. It's just that in the past while that might have draw exclusives, and exclusives might have been a good way to show this off, nowadays devs are more multiplatform centric and their aim has instead been to show that they have the best looking/performing version of those games
The original Xbox had a lot of great exclusives, or at least console exclusives. Plus the power difference meant many games were SIGNIFICANTLY worse on other platforms, to the point where features had to be cut down.

Thing is, in this day and age you need a ton of resources to build good AAA games at a good clip, and Microsoft does not currently have these resources. They need to scale up and can't keep relying on a shrinking pool of independent partners. This is just the reality of the situation.

Dinobot

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
This is music to my ears.

The forward compatible caught my attention. Does it mean the X is going to be the new base model for the Xbox Two, or is the X just going to continue getting support while the Two is on the market like PS2 kept getting games well into the PS3 lifecycle?

I hope it's the former so I won't regret buying an X this late in the cycle only to have it replaced in three years or so.

Venom

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Manchester, UK
Literally 99% of that is what MS has said anyway. Why they saying this like they got insider knowledge?

As for the games, only time will tell I guess. I suppose we will have to wait 2 years minimum to see them.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017

The forward compatible caught my attention. Does it mean the X is going to be the new base model for the Xbox Two, or is the X just going to continue getting support while the Two is on the market like PS2 kept getting games well into the PS3 lifecycle?

I hope it's the former so I won't regret buying an X this late in the cycle only to have it replaced in three years or so.
The X can never have exclusive games that can't run on Xbox One, unless they lied (again).

Deleted member 8579

Oct 26, 2017
I have a gut feeling that "forward compatibility" means anything less than an Xbox One X will not be able to run "next gen" games once the Nextbox gets underway.

It means what it always means, you will get some games that release on Xbox One and Next Gen consoles during the first year or two and if you want a next gen game buy a next gen console. At a push you may get buy the Xbox One version that transforms into a next gen version at no extra cost. Developers can support both gens as long as they want but you will get next gen only games. There is absolutely no way they will raise the baseline to the X or keep it at the standard One. It's a can of worms. Clean break, devs can release cross gens like they always do and BC support does the rest.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And as you would expect, the console will be backward and forwards compatible
Microsoft is making significant investments in hardware/content to close the gap with Sony and has the financial backing to go all-in on gaming to win the next generation
ec4qb8q9dssi.gif

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
Hardware is all well in good, but these machines need games. Focus on your first party, give players a reason to buy your console with games they can't play elsewhere

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
The main subject of the article is that Microsoft wants to invest better in gaming, and the next Xbox is still years away. Why are all people talking about the cloud thing, that is only an example of using the cloud that is not enterely streaming a game?

Nov 12, 2017
Ok a journalist say what he think about Ms and we have
- usual ppl not happy because the things that the journalist imagine about the future of cloud computing are not exciting for them so : f**k u Ms
- usual ppl not happy because they heard about Ms money so many times so : f**k u Ms
- usual ppl not happy because of they want Ms store on PC so : f**k u Ms
- usual ppl not happy because they don't know who thurrot is so : f**k u Ms
- usual ppl not happy because they haven't a good breakfast this morning so : f**k u Ms
Ahahah cmon guys ...give ms a break

Dinobot

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
The X can never have exclusive games that can't run on Xbox One, unless they lied (again).
No, what I mean is, once the Xbox Two comes out, will the X get ports of Xbox Two games while the One and One S get no more support after a couple years or so?

For example, let's say the year is 2021, and the XB2 has been on the market for a year, will Halo 7 be available on the X and XB2 or just the XB2? We know the S will be out of the question.

Majiebeast

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ok a journalist say what he think about Ms and we have
- usual ppl not happy because the things that the journalist imagine about the future of cloud computing are not exciting for them so : f**k u Ms
- usual ppl not happy because they heard about Ms money so many times so : f**k u Ms
- usual ppl not happy because of they want Ms store on PC so : f**k u Ms
- usual ppl not happy because they don't know who thurrot is so : f**k u Ms
- usual ppl not happy because they haven't a good breakfast this morning so : f**k u Ms
Ahahah cmon guys ...give ms a break

Leave Microsoft alone! Leave em alone!

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Given Microsoft's track record, I don't think we should read much into this, they always say they're investing more in gaming, but it doesn't really show.
And in order to "win" next-gen they need to do more than fix their flaws, they need to make PlayStation fans move away from PlayStation, and that's not necessarily something you can do with money.

Sony would really need to fail on a level comparable to the PS3 launch to provide Microsoft with the opening to leapfrog them a second time. Especially nowadays, in the era of online accounts and persistent online presences, it's going to take a herculean effort to make consumers who invested heavily in the PS4 ecosystem completely switch platforms next gen.

Never underestimate Sony's time-proven ability to fuck up a good thing, of course, but it feels like the opportunity for Microsoft to completely overshadow them just completely passed when they started to get complacent in the second half of last gen and let Sony build their strength back up.

logash

Oct 27, 2017

Would kind of be good news for me. I have been playing with the idea of getting an Xbox for a while and I told myself I wouldn't buy one with out a game that I really really want. With that in mind I thought that by the time Microsoft comes out with a huge single player experience I'd be into (Fable 4?) they would have announced the next Xbox. I'd be happy if all I would need to buy is the X instead of what would no doubt be a way more expensive Xbox Two.

Deleted member 5167

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Perhaps I'm misunderstanding, but how would you argue this? From what I see myself (purely anecdotal) there's a huge overlap between the two audiences. Switch seems much more focused on the core gaming audience than Nintendo's consoles other recent consoles have been, this is definitely reflected by the software too.

indont see the casual market for switch yet.

I'm saying I disagree with the article posted that is saying this.
It doesn't appear to be true.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
The main subject of the article is that Microsoft wants to invest better in gaming, and the next Xbox is still years away. Why are all people talking about the cloud thing, that is only an example of using the cloud that is not enterely streaming a game?
Because there is really nothing in the article worth to discuss other than that, it's basically saying a platform holder is investing in next gen, well duh? You better invest if you're planning to make another console.

Oct 27, 2017
Hmmm, interesting vs all the articles last couple of years about them ditching XBOX and the X being the last chance before they look to offload it and stuff.
I think competition between MS & Sony is good for all parties and good for companies that make games. I haven't had an Xbox since the 360 (Jumped to PS4). I can't justify the cost of an X, but I'm tempted. I really like how MS are turning stuff around and the back-compat stuff is very very cool.

Who the hell is Thurrott?

He's wrote about MS hardware for years. Hosts the Windows podcast for TWiT. He's been around but I've no idea how much of a credible history he has for proper 'leaks' vs just his opinion on stuff.
Think of him as the MS version of Gruber/Daring Fireball from the Apple side.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Real time updates, instead waiting for a patch. Could be our Oasis.

Wat?

I was answering to this:

THIS example maybe not but its amazing to think that real world changes could affect our game. Imagine Fifa, starts to rain because the city you are playing is raining now.

I don't see how that is exciting. It's still FIFA and sometimes it rains, sometimes it doesn't. I don't see how syncing it to real world weather makes it any more interesting.

And what you say in this post i'm responding to pretty much means always online for every game. And that went so well last time.

Oct 29, 2017
MS has always done something wrong each gen which bit them on the foot and prevented them from taking the lion share. I hope this news pans out to keep Sony and Nintendo on their feet. Personally I am not happy how Sony has handled BC this gen, they need to take note from MS on this and hope they keep pushing it so it makes it harder to ignore for Sony.

One = Underpowered VCR
360 = Red Ring
What did the original Xbox do wrong given that it was a newcomer with no prior foothold in gaming?

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London
I think Phil Spencer can actually deliver on the goods and show up big time for Microsoft the way for the next gen launch; not unlike how Mark Cerny and his outreach to developers and publishers really gave the PS4 buoyancy at its launch. Spencer really turned the xb1 around into the most feature dense and powerful console within the generation, so coming in with a clean slate will be insane. I think investment into direct x and tech is going to pay off big and give Microsoft some big advantages.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
So a new console may come out in the next three years; it will have some ram; you'll be able to stream games

Not exactly that precise..

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They always that that? So how is that news? Continuing cloud is news and forward compatibility is news. How is will that close the gap with Sony.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Get the price of the X down to $300 as soon as possible. Get those first party games done and out the door. Get Japanese games back on the system.