Oct 28, 2017
Maybe if JJ would have shown the Jedi of the Past as force ghost so we could put faces to the voices. If Qui Gon Jinn would have shown up as a force ghost or Anikin Skywalker... I would have shit a horse!

black070

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Endgame is the best theater experience I've ever had, and probably will ever have - what a great finale that stuck the landing in every conceivable way.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
I watched it opening night IMAX Glasgow. There was some sounds but nothing like that. I can fucking guarantee every person though was making those sounds internally.

Endgame was an amazing send off I loved it and still put the last hour at least on once or twice a month to enjoy with my son.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The general audience does not watch the cartoons so they would've just been confused who any of those people were.. Meanwhile, millions, possibly billions of people already know who Black Panther and Spider-Man are, hence the cheering.
I mean, at this point who cares? We don't know half of Red Squadron in ANH but the film goes out of its way to show them checking in. At least here it'll have meaning to some people and not just "Oh, it's just 'people'."

I typically don't like fan edits but even just audio adds more to this scene than what we got:

Last edited:

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
But OP, Marvel bad, and cheering to Marvel bad

Seriously tho, I loved the sports like atmosphere of most superhero movies. Would I want that for any other genre? Ehhh, aside from maybe horror, probably not.

Thor sniping Thanos in Infinity War was probably the best pop I've heard in a non-stadium.

TheClaw7667

Oct 25, 2017
The funny thing is Matrix completely blind sided people, like everyone went in there expecting maybe like an average run of the mill movie that suddenly turned into like what Star Wars was for 1977 out of thin air (in terms of "wow I've never seen anything like this before"), lol.

I remember my friend saying "I hope this doesn't suck like Johnny Mnemonic" (a previous Keanu Reeves sci-fi movie) walking into it, after the movie was over he looked like he had an out of body experience.
I never got to experience The Matrix in theaters but the last movie for that made me feel something coming out of it was Fury Road. I was just so energized walking out of Fury Road, like I could just sprint home. The closest feeling I can use to describe it was the feeling I get walking out of a heavy metal concert.

Edit: Wrong quote.

Aexact

Oct 30, 2017
This just contrast so beautifully with my RoS experience where when the credits rolled exactly one person let out a yell and started applauding and then quickly let it die when they realized that literally no one else was joining in.
Haha, it's just anecdotal but yeah, that was my theater experience too. Muted attempts at fizzled out clapping.
Ugh, I have to say I still get annoyed when people show up without their masks or take them off. Yeah, we know they're famous actors, Marvel Studios
I thought it was more because it's hard to act with a mask on.
It may have been something that would have pleased the hardcore fans more than the general audience but they should have gone full Endgame Portals with the fleet arriving like the novel.

Show Jacen and Hera in the Ghost, show Zay and Shriv from Inferno Squadron, show the Ace pilots from Resistance. Have some pay off with all of this world building outside of the movies.

The novel excerpt for those curious:
ldyqhby5z9n41.jpg
Ugh, I've seen Rebels and Clone Wars but this just sounds like the distracting kind of fanservice.

Oct 27, 2017
So, as Film Twitter enters a phase of peak nostalgia for the movie theater experience (I saw a viral post this morning about movie theater carpets) - a clip from a screening of Endgame went around with the crowd noise included. (Yes, it's THAT moment)

It's a good bit, and I think anybody who went to an opening weekend screening of Endgame had a similar experience on some scale. It's a moment of corny fan service that has been broken down & criticized a million times - but I doubt I'll ever forget the way the whole room popped when they realized what had happened. An emotional payoff for a decade of worldbuilding, devotion rewarded by giving people exactly what they always wanted to see - with zero concern for it being 'too much'.

It also made me realize that Rise of Skywalker has absolutely nothing that even attempts to capture this same magic, despite allegedly being the payoff for the entire "Skywalker Saga".

The Force Awakens has plenty of these moments trickled in - the movie is BUILT on them. Every time a classic character comes back, the movie almost pauses for applause. The Last Jedi was the same way, but with incredible reveals (Rey's parantage, the Holdo Maneuver) in addition to character revivals. Each one got a pop from my first night audience.

But I think back to my first TROS experience and it's just... quiet. The biggest pop out of the crowd was Rey & Ben's kiss at the end, and even that was mostly awkward laughter. I'm going through the film in my head, and the plot beats that should have gotten that reaction - Ben recalling Han, and the brigade of ships led by Lando - are just silent. Even the last moment feels like it was written for a huge, Endgame-esque spectacle where the Jedi of the past come to Sith Hell to assist Rey - but instead, they only manifest as voice memos.

I know there's no shortage of "Wow, TROS was underwhelming" takes - but something about this clip really just made it impossible to not think about what could've been.

Did you lose an avatar bet

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Endgame has one of the best climaxes in popcorn cinema, PERIOD.

The issue with TROS was that there was no build-up. Palpatine was never even mentioned in the sequel trilogy, we barely knew Rey, Finn and Poe despite watching them for three movies and the plot was completely bolted together.
We knew everything we needed to know about these characters. The plot just dropped the ball and reversed their character development and/or added unlikeable traits.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Haha, it's just anecdotal but yeah, that was my theater experience too. Muted attempts at fizzled out clapping.

I thought it was more because it's hard to act with a mask on.

Ugh, I've seen Rebels and Clone Wars but this just sounds like the distracting kind of fanservice.
So Endgame? The movie that is literally fan service and greatest hits the movie?

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Yeah, I mentioned crowd pleasing in a following post, and as I said in that post, most of these Marvel films are based upon crowd pleasing, so I wasn't seeing a distinction. It also kind of implies that these characters weren't written into the story for the battle anyway and that much of it was added just to please people, not to further the plot. If they were already planned to show up together anyway, that doesn't automatically make it fan service just because the crowd loved it.

One obvious bit of fan service to me though was when Captain America picked up Mjolnir and somehow managed to summon lightning...it doesn't work that way.
tenor.gif

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Hype moment. One of my greatest memories at the movie theaters.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
So Endgame? The movie that is literally fan service and greatest hits the movie?
There's good fanservice
-Yoda appearing in TLJ to give Luke one last lesson before he dies
-Rey catching the lightsaber while the skywalker theme plays

and bad fanservice
-Luke with a bad wig raising his clearly broken x-wing out of the water so that we can get a shot of Rey in Luke's x-wing wearing his helmet

The Force Awakens was actually choke full of pure fanservice moments that make you feel like a kid again. So many perfertly crafted scanes
-Han smiling in the cockpit of the falcon
-C3PO interrupting Leia's already amazing reintroduction
-Han and Leia talking

etc.

they just missed the mark so bad when it came to TROS.

Fudgepuppy

Oct 27, 2017
I fucking hate how whooping and hollering is the de-facto way to show emotions in cinema, and if you don't like hearing it while trying to watch the movie, you're considered boring or snobby.

I wanna watch the movie ffs, not hear a bunch of dorks scream like it's the super bowl.

During the most hypest moments in Avengers, yeah I felt excited, I grimaced and mouthed shit, but I wasn't yelling because it's not a fucking concert; it's a showing of a movie. Would y'all be doing the same at the theatre?

Josh5890

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
There's good fanservice
-Yoda appearing in TLJ to give Luke one last lesson before he dies
-Rey catching the lightsaber while the skywalker theme plays

and bad fanservice
-Luke with a bad wig appearing raising his clearly broken x-wing out of the water so that we can get a shot of Rey in Luke's x-wing wearing his helmet

Don't forget the 5 second shot of Luke laughing at the camera

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
If you voluntarily make noise in the cinema, you're a selfish fuck. Laughter or gasps of surprise are fine because they're involuntary.

Getting excited and hyped is great, too. But if you literally can't stop yourself from whooping and clapping in the cinema because you're excited, you have the self-control of a two-year old and probably shouldn't be allowed in a cinema to begin with.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
I'm so happy I don't live in the US and instead in a country where people remember to be silent during a movie screening. I saw Endgame on opening week and I'm happy to say people were silent during the Portals sequence and not shouting like mad men.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
If you voluntarily make noise in the cinema, you're a selfish fuck. Laughter or gasps of surprise are fine because they're involuntary.

Getting excited and hyper is great, too. But if you literally can't stop yourself from whooping and clapping in the cinema because you're excited, you have the self-control of a two-year old and probably shouldn't be allowed in a cinema to begin with.
Z7HeRxU.png

El Bombastico

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Getting excited and hyped is great, too. But if you literally can't stop yourself from whooping and clapping in the cinema because you're excited, you have the self-control of a two-year old and probably shouldn't be allowed in a cinema to begin with.

Imagine being this much of a prude...

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Don't forget the 5 second shot of Luke laughing at the camera
There's "I'm too old for this shit" and then there's this:
x8WERF4.png

*Filmmakers literally spend years crafting moments in their films that are almost scientifically supposed to first and foremost cause the audience to cheer*

*Audience cheers, giving the exact reaction the film makers expected and wanted*

You:
giphy.gif

Josh5890

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

You must be fun at parties

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine being this much of a prude...
Showing consideration to others isn't being a prude. I paid to hear the movie. Nobody paid to hear you announce your excitement because you want to make everybody else's cinema experience about you. How desperate for validation do you have to be to force other people to know that you're excited - whether they feel the same way or not.

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
We knew everything we needed to know about these characters. The plot just dropped the ball and reversed their character development and/or added unlikeable traits.
We knew so much about them that the third film in the trilogy had to completely invent what two of the main characters' relationship with each other was (Rey and Poe) because they hadn't properly interacted at all by the end of the second film. TROS of dropped the ball in a catastrophic fashion but there were plenty of missteps along the way that just compounded the failure.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This was probably the most hype thing I've ever seen in a theater, alongside the scene of everyone coming out of the portals. I saw Endgame at the earliest possible showing so it was full of fans and everybody popped at this moment.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

tenor.png

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
A Star Wars trilogy written by Russos w/ Markus and McFeely is the dream.

Civil War, Infinity War, and Endgame are peak MCU and made everything beforehand better too.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
We knew so much about them that the third film in the trilogy had to completely invent what two of the main characters' relationship with each other was (Rey and Poe) because they hadn't properly interacted at all by the end of the second film. TROS of dropped the ball in a catastrophic fashion but there were plenty of missteps along the way that just compounded the failure.
That's the thing is that these characters didn't need to meet, time had clearly passed, a relationship had formed as a result. Rey and Poe before the ending of TLJ meeting doesn't add anything to the last two films.

Showing consideration to others isn't being a prude. I paid to hear the movie.
There's literally zero dialogue in these parts of movies because they expect these sorts of reactions. With an overbearing score punctuating the visuals. Exactly what crucial things are you not hearing?

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Showing consideration to others isn't being a prude. I paid to hear the movie. Nobody paid to hear you announce your excitement because you want to make everybody else's cinema experience about you. How desperate for validation do you have to be to force other people to know that you're excited - whether they feel the same way or not.

I'm glad that these posts exist and are sincere

Fudgepuppy

Oct 27, 2017

I approve of this savage takedown.

Deleted member 54292

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 27, 2019
Y'all remember your theater's reaction to Tony getting stabbed by Thanos? Coming off the heels of Strange and Thanos doing crazy shit in their dual the hype at the start of the fight was insane. Then you watch Tony get shanked and lose and let me tell ya, that brought the sharpest change in tone to an audience I've seen. So good.

Croc Man

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not normally fond of such environments for anything that's not live, it feels too forced. However this was earned and that first portal opening and hammer time got me.

My favourite reaction is still at the end of fellowship of the ring when a dad said that can't be the end the ring wasn't thrown in the volcano, he then told his kids to wait while he went off to see the manager. I'll always regret not hearing that conversation but damn he was fast and I needed a piss.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Y'all remember your theater's reaction to Tony getting stabbed by Thanos? Coming off the heels of Strange and Thanos doing crazy shit in their dual the hype at the start of the fight was insane. Then you watch Tony get shanked and lose and let me tell ya, that brought the sharpest change in tone to an audience I've seen. So good.
Infinity War and Endgame even more so are an insane roller coaster of emotions.

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, at this point who cares? We don't know half of Red Squadron in ANH but the film goes out of its way to show them checking in. At least here it'll have meaning to some people and not just "Oh, it's just 'people'."

I typically don't like fan edits but even just audio adds more to this scene than what we got:

Holy shit yes. This is where the audio cues should have been, and the Jedi should have actually been present as Force Ghosts with Rey and Ben.