Twstr709

Oct 27, 2017
jDUKgeT6AcrrvY0dDcNgWZFTQ70=.gif
This is me.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Star Wars has been getting shown up for a while now.

The Matrix > Phantom Menace, of course TPM did bigger box office, but Matrix was the bigger pop culture impact.

Or you can say Titanic >> Phantom Menace.

Spider-Man >> Attack of the Clones, not really even close here.

Return of the King > Revenge of the Sith

I'd add probably the Pirates trilogy and Harry Potter series was bigger culturally than the prequel trilogy. And Avatar also.

And currently with the Disney era

Avengers > Sequel Trilogy.

fracas

Oct 27, 2017
I genuinely don't remember much of anything from TROS and I saw Endgame in theatres like three times despite not even being that into Marvel movies.

Watching Endgame with opening weekend crowds was a straight up delight. That scene still gives me chills. I remember seeing a bunch of kids lose their shit when all the heroes came together and the music swells, and it was so much fun.

Meanwhile I almost fell asleep watching TROS. Honest to god felt something like a straight to DVD sci-fi film with an inflated budget.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love how fucking flaccid the Rise of Skywalker version of this was

like, good god did they whiff and to add insult to injury they pipe in the main Star Wars theme which is like a big flashing sign that says "we intend for this moment to give you chills. we intend for this moment to give you chills. this is the big moment. please feel." so when it misses it's even worse because of the way its framed as this big wind up for a huge dunk except the ball hits the rim and flies into the audience and the player has to be carted off the court because they pooped their pants on the jump up.

Deleted member 52442

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
Is this confirmed? (the spoiler I mean).

If so, that's pretty dumb. I'd heard the bit about
Bran becoming King
was made with that in mind.

yeah they said

it felt too obvious to have jon and Nk resolve that way...

when following a story to its natural conclusion is intentionally avoided for no good reason you get what we got

dtrush

Oct 27, 2017
opening weekend for iw/eg was so electric... don't think we will see another one like it until the next marvel mega event.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do people clap at the end of meals?

In the land of the free, yes. The only time I've ever had meals where there was no applause at the end is abroad in asia and europe and once in Canada at a Tim Horton's - the silence post food was DEAFENING. I don't know how you guys can stand it.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017

No, this is women and girls clapping and screaming. Clearly this is embarassing and doesn't count.

Now, that time the Pantherman and Spiderboy were resurrected from death like in fucking Naruto to punch the alien from an alternate timeline in the face? Goosebumps!

I very much appreciate these reaction videos from afar. I would go absolutely insane having to listen to that in person.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
not going to lie, sometimes i search youtube for marvel theater reactions. They are always amazing

Rickelodeon

Oct 25, 2017
Every modern SW movie(TFA and onwards, seen em all opening night) premieres ive been to had standard solid reaction like clapping at the end, but TLJ is the only one where peopleactually popped the fuck off during its real big high moments in the climax (those moments were definitely designed that way). Kylo killing snoke, Rey kylo teaming up, Holdo manuever, Luke coming back, the reveal that Luke was projecting, all great. And yet i bet those people nowadays say they hated this movie

TROS audience did go off for Kylo when he comes back redeemed and Rey passes the saber to him tho.

It's TLJ, Endgame and IW, and Jurassic world 1 (the final dino showdown was nuts) , best opening nights in general ive ever been to

Iacomus

Dec 26, 2018
Those kind of audience reactions would have annoyed me. This isn't a sports event its a film.

Though TLJ did drop the ball, but there could have been a big build up in TROS and has reached it climax point, but it didn't, not even for Rey, Finn, Poe or Ben who for three films we were following id it feel like it paid off.

TROS's biggest problem was it was fan service-y and forgot nearly everything TLJ tried to do differently. Nolan's Joker said it best "Nobody panics when things go according to plan" it could have been the same for TLJ, but no.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Star Wars has been getting shown up for a while now.

The Matrix > Phantom Menace, of course TPM did bigger box office, but Matrix was the bigger pop culture impact.

Spider-Man >> Attack of the Clones, not really even close here.

Return of the King > Revenge of the Sith

I'd add probably the Pirates trilogy and Harry Potter series was bigger culturally than the prequel trilogy.

And currently with the Disney era

Avengers > Sequel Trilogy.
Not sure if this one is so fair since ROTK was 2003 and ROTS was 2005.

The sequel trilogy at least started as the biggest thing in the world, the MCU movies were relatively pretty mediocre in 2005. They really turned the tables starting with Civil War.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
Dating myself a bit here, but

The Matrix - the helicopter scene, the train leap(s) scene, and the stopping bullets in the hallway scenes were all pretty "holy shit" moments in theater from what I remember.

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Spider-man is in Central Park burying his Iron-Spider suit and when an old man who looks a lot like Stan Lee walks by...

"Whats your name kid?"
"Peter."
"Peter what?"
*Peter looks into the distance to see a Billboard with the image of Tony Stark on it*
"Peter... Stark."

Roll credits.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not sure if this one is so fair since ROTK was 2003 and ROTS was 2005.

The sequel trilogy at least started as the biggest thing in the world, the MCU movies were relatively pretty mediocre in 2005. They really turned the tables starting with Civil War.

ROTK was December 2003 and ROTS May 2005 that's comparable. LOTR trilogy as a whole completely shit all over the prequel trilogy.

Prequels had big hype going in because of the original trilogy, not because they earned any of that on their own merits.

Thewonandonly

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Utah
This thread is going to have a 'Are americans really like this in movies'?

These showings are usually opening night, very first screenings. The kind that sell out 5 minutes after they go up at 4 AM. That tends to result in a ton of the 'diehard' sort of fans. And this is 20 movies of buildup being resolved here, so it's a fairly unique moment.

But yeah, I love the opening night experience for big movies.
Fuck ya people that don't like the opening night crowd are not fun people. I loved the avengers experience and it's something I will remember fondly for my whole life. Shit was so EPIC!!!! While if I'm being honest I forgot my TROS experience 😂 That's coming from someone who puts the force awakens as there top five movies of all time

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
A movie is a piece of entertainment that I am trying to pay attention to. Loud clapping is inappropriate. This is a film, not the end of a meal, people.

If you're seeing Endgame on opening night with that kind of crowd you'll be seeing it again in theatres later when it's quiet.

Plus odds are you'll be buying a Blu-ray and watching D+.

You'll have plenty of opportunities to watch it quietly and take apart every line of dialogue.

OP
OP
Meg Cherry

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA

The Matrix - the helicopter scene, the train leap(s) scene, and the stopping bullets in the hallway scenes were all pretty "holy shit" moments in theater from what I remember.
I watched The Matrix Reloaded for the first time last week, and I almost wish I could've been in a theater for the Neo/Agent Smith fight. It's aged TERRIBLY, but I have to imagine crowds were losing their minds at the time.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
(Yes, it's THAT moment)

It's a good bit, and I think anybody who went to an opening weekend screening of Endgame had a similar experience on some scale. It's a moment of corny fan service that has been broken down & criticized a million times - but I doubt I'll ever forget the way the whole room popped when they realized what had happened. An emotional payoff for a decade of worldbuilding, devotion rewarded by giving people exactly what they always wanted to see - with zero concern for it being 'too much'.

No sarcasm, but what is the fan service in that scene? Is it something from the Infinity Gauntlet comic arc? Is it just when Black Panther and co casually walk out of the portal?

n00bs7ay3r

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Aug 21, 2018
This just contrast so beautifully with my RoS experience where when the credits rolled exactly one person let out a yell and started applauding and then quickly let it die when they realized that literally no one else was joining in.

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
Endgame was probably the most fun I've ever had in a movie theatre. Dolby Cinema combined with a wild crowd, it was the closest you can get to a perfect theatre experience.

Oct 27, 2017
Ugh, I have to say I still get annoyed when people show up without their masks or take them off. Yeah, we know they're famous actors, Marvel Studios

AntiMacro

Oct 27, 2017
Alberta
I know the part of Rise of Skywalker near the end
where the lightsaber teleports to him
got a reaction from the crowd I was watching with... Mostly 'what?' and some confused laughing but I guess it's something.

Kelsdesu

Oct 25, 2017
They absolutely blew it. Tha k god for the Mandalorian.

Based Favreau coming through.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
I would find this incredibly jarring if not a bit annoying (though more in scenes where there's a lot of dialogue that will be missed over the crowd). I live in the UK and people cheering at Cap catching Mjolnir was about as animated as I've ever heard an audience get (and I didn't mind that at all).

In a way it also makes me wish I got excited about shit this much. I probably wouldn't react that excitedly even if someone told me I won $10 million.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

The first Matrix, I don't know how to describe it but when Trinity kicked the cop back at the beginning the theater went dead silent like you could almost feel the "holy shit ... what is this?" response from the audience.

Really cool.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
ROTK was December 2003 and ROTS May 2005 that's comparable. LOTR trilogy as a whole completely shit all over the prequel trilogy.
Oh of course.

On the other hand, I wonder if people's opinions on these Star Wars movies retroactively gets better without them comparing it to other movies of the time. Popular opinion on the prequels seems to have gotten a lot better, I doubt people are actually considering Lord of the Rings when they watch the prequels now. Same for Last Jedi, opinion on that seems to have improved over the past couple of years and I wonder if that has to do with not comparing it to the MCU so much anymore. Infinity War wasn't out yet but the trailer was and it was definitely in people's minds when they saw TLJ in theaters.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It's a real downer that we won't have anything like this for a long time.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
That entire fucking scene is fan service. lol.

So that entire intro to the final battle was completely new just to get a rise out of the crowd? I read a lot of comics growing up, but that's one series I never read, so I honestly didn't know just how much it deviated from the source material.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Titanic would be probably another theatrical moment I'll never forget, you could just hear many people sobbing and crying openly like during the scene where they show the frozen dead bodies.

And this was a regular middle of the week showing, lol. Never, ever seen anything like that since then.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
Me and my gfs theater had this reaction. We managed to get the first showing.

It made all those years worth it. I partly wanted that opening showing to share in that reaction. Great time.

kcp12304

Oct 27, 2017
To be fair, that moment was paying off over a decade of 20+ films compared to a trilogy. Yeah, many movies have those applause moments but there's just nothing really like that moment in cinematic history. That being said, Disney rushed SW out the door to quickly capitalize on their investment and it shows.