JasonV

Oct 25, 2017
The funny thing is Matrix completely blind sided people, like everyone went in there expecting maybe like an average run of the mill movie that suddenly turned into like what Star Wars was for 1977 out of thin air (in terms of "wow I've never seen anything like this before"), lol.

I remember my friend saying "I hope this doesn't suck like Johnny Mnemonic" (a previous Keanu Reeves sci-fi movie) walking into it, after the movie was over he looked like he had an out of body experience.

I had some idea given the trailer- but no one expected the choreography to be that good. The lobby gunfight was insane for the time.

Oct 25, 2017
The Last Jedi had many moments where my audience cheered like crazy

Yoda
Kylo killing Snoke
Luke's entire segment on Crait

Was honestly surprised to see mixed reaction to it online.

No one cheered during The Rise of Skywalker

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
The most pathetic part is that there are moments in TROS that were so obviously DESIGNED to get these kinds of cheers and whoops, The Millenium Falcon coming back for the Final Battle, "And I am all the Jedi"

But they all fell flat because they were never earned.
The only one I felt a slight twinge of excitement for was Luke catching his lightsaber. But even then it was like... what.

May 26, 2018
The most pathetic part is that there are moments in TROS that were DESIGNED to get these kinds of cheers and whoops, The Millenium Falcon coming back for the Final Battle, "And I am all the Jedi"

Yeah. We still didn't know any of the characters, and nothing that happened came from built expectations. All in all it made little sense. The only crowd reaction I remember is when Rey kissed Kylo Ren, and that was more confusion and disappointment.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The most pathetic part is that there are moments in TROS that were so obviously DESIGNED to get these kinds of cheers and whoops, The Millenium Falcon coming back for the Final Battle, "And I am all the Jedi"

I was really hoping Rey would break out into a musical number like this, just with the line "I'm every Jedi, its all in meeeee"

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wish I cared about the MCU like others do. I watched Endgame and I saw a hammer go into someone's hand. It's supposed to be a big deal, but I felt nothing. Zilch.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
I wish I cared about the MCU like others do. I watched Endgame and I saw a hammer go into someone's hand. It's supposed to be a big deal, but I felt nothing. Zilch.
It doesn't resonate with people, that's okay! I don't get a lot of things, sports fans included. I've always kind of wanted to.

Deleted member 31133

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
In before: "I hate when people go crazy in movies" crowd. Not realizing that some movies are designed to get those reactions out of people.

I live in the UK and none of that happens in a UK cinema. The only noise you'll get in a UK cinema is laughing during a comedy or funny moment. Beside that UK cinemas are pretty strict. No talking. No using mobile phones. I personally prefer this as I'm more immersed in the film. If people were screaming and shouting like a pack of howler monkeys it would destroy the experience for me.

Clearly it's a culture thing and it's cool if that's what happens in the US, but my question is about movies being designed to get those reactions.

Are you saying that some studios design movies just so the audience in the cinema start screaming from pure euphoric excitement?! Serious question as well. Not shit posting.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I had some idea given the trailer- but no one expected the choreography to be that good. The lobby gunfight was insane for the time.

I remember watching the trailers online, this was like broadband was first becoming widespread and none of my friends were paying any attention to it, but in the back of my head I was going "what the .... fuck ... is this ... this looks insane, but it's just a well cut trailer, the movie can't be this good".

Then during the movie's press tour, I recall Joe Pantoliano, who plays Cipher, being asked something "yeah but what about Star Wars?" (keep in mind this was spring 1999 and alllllllllllllllll the talk was about Episode I) and Pantoliano said straight up "screw Star Wars, (Matrix) is better than Star Wars", and I remember thinking "man what an arrogant jack ass this guy is, this dinky little Keanu Reeves movie will get destroyed by the new Star Wars, George Lucas is the king" ... but shit ... he was right, lol.

sappyday

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
So that entire intro to the final battle was completely new just to get a rise out of the crowd? I read a lot of comics growing up, but that's one series I never read, so I honestly didn't know just how much it deviated from the source material.
You're associating fan service with it somehow just being tied to iconic scenes from the source material. It was a fan service moment cause fans have been wanting all these characters to show up together.

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
TROS tried this moment with the civilian(?) fleet coming in at the last second, and I'm just sitting there thinking...why the hell didn't this work in the last film?

P-Bo

One Winged Slayer
Jun 17, 2019
My theatrical experience with Endgame was the best to date--the crowd went wild during the hype scenes, and was quiet as fuck at the right moments.
Well, minus the little dude who was sniffling during Stark's funeral.

Me and the crowd were dead during the entirety of TROS. I originally was not going to see it, but my old man really wanted to and I couldn't say no to him.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
You're associating fan service with it somehow just being tied to iconic scenes from the source material. It was a fan service moment cause fans have been wanting all these characters to show up together.

Yeah, I mentioned crowd pleasing in a following post, and as I said in that post, most of these Marvel films are based upon crowd pleasing, so I wasn't seeing a distinction. It also kind of implies that these characters weren't written into the story for the battle anyway and that much of it was added just to please people, not to further the plot. If they were already planned to show up together anyway, that doesn't automatically make it fan service just because the crowd loved it.

One obvious bit of fan service to me though was when Captain America picked up Mjolnir and somehow managed to summon lightning...it doesn't work that way.

Last edited:

Anatole

Mar 25, 2020
The Russos confirmed in an interview they watched clips of Infinity War with audience reactions, and added more for Endgame.
Russos and Kevin Feige actually dropped in unannounced for the last half of Endgame at the Westwood Village theater (1000+ seater single screen, typically with a lot of UCLA students and other west LA types) on opening night to see the audience reactions. It caused a bit of a stir when the lights went up.

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In my theatre a couple people struggle clapped and a couple others sucked their teeth in disgust. Otherwise everyone just shuffled out without comment.

Avengers moment was hype in my theatre.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I live in the UK and none of that happens in a UK cinema. The only noise you'll get in a UK cinema is laughing during a comedy or funny moment. Beside that UK cinemas are pretty strict. No talking. No using mobile phones. I personally prefer this as I'm more immersed in the film. If people were screaming and shouting like a pack of howler monkeys it would destroy the experience for me.

Clearly it's a culture thing and it's cool if that's what happens in the US, but my question is about movies being designed to get those reactions.

Are you saying that some studios design movies just so the audience in the cinema start screaming from pure euphoric excitement?! Serious question as well. Not shit posting.

Except...

I live in the UK, and I remember the whole theatre cheering in the big battle of endgame. It was an incredible cinema experience.

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
it's weird seeing people post about how cheering in a theater is some sort of unexpected, rude imposition

blockbuster movies are made for that sort of thing

we're not talking about someone randomly yelling during a quiet moment here

people are cheering at the places in the movie specifically constructed to elicit cheers

it's just like when people laugh when a movie has jokes

I think this is because nowadays people consume most of their movies sitting at home in silence and expect it to be the same when they go to the theater

May 31, 2018
Ohio
So, as Film Twitter enters a phase of peak nostalgia for the movie theater experience (I saw a viral post this morning about movie theater carpets) - a clip from a screening of Endgame went around with the crowd noise included. (Yes, it's THAT moment)

It's a good bit, and I think anybody who went to an opening weekend screening of Endgame had a similar experience on some scale. It's a moment of corny fan service that has been broken down & criticized a million times - but I doubt I'll ever forget the way the whole room popped when they realized what had happened. An emotional payoff for a decade of worldbuilding, devotion rewarded by giving people exactly what they always wanted to see - with zero concern for it being 'too much'.

It also made me realize that Rise of Skywalker has absolutely nothing that even attempts to capture this same magic, despite allegedly being the payoff for the entire "Skywalker Saga".

The Force Awakens has plenty of these moments trickled in - the movie is BUILT on them. Every time a classic character comes back, the movie almost pauses for applause. The Last Jedi was the same way, but with incredible reveals (Rey's parantage, the Holdo Maneuver) in addition to character revivals. Each one got a pop from my first night audience.

But I think back to my first TROS experience and it's just... quiet. The biggest pop out of the crowd was Rey & Ben's kiss at the end, and even that was mostly awkward laughter. I'm going through the film in my head, and the plot beats that should have gotten that reaction - Ben recalling Han, and the brigade of ships led by Lando - are just silent. Even the last moment feels like it was written for a huge, Endgame-esque spectacle where the Jedi of the past come to Sith Hell to assist Rey - but instead, they only manifest as voice memos.

I know there's no shortage of "Wow, TROS was underwhelming" takes - but something about this clip really just made it impossible to not think about what could've been.

This entire setup, from cap using the hammer, all the way to to end... Phew. This part in particular gave me tears of joy as a lifelong comic fan. I had played out moments like this in my head, and with action figures, as a child, hundreds, probably thousands of times. And they nailed it.

This still gives me chills. It's soooo good. They'll try, but I don't think you can ever top this in the MCU.

Plum

May 31, 2018
There literally isn't a single aspect of The Rise of Skywalker's 'Avengers Assemble' scene that isn't completely trounced by Endgame's, but to put it into perspective lets do an in-depth comparison of the two villains, Thanos and Palpatine:

Thanos
Whilst the Thanos that we see in Endgame is not the exact same Thanos as the one in Infnity War, there is no doubt that he had proven himself to an incredibly threatening foe at that moment. He's the catalyst behind some of the major conflicts of the series and just a film prior he had effortlessly fucked everyone up before killing half of them and scarring the rest. Since the 'snap' he had gone from being a relatively unknown comic villain (compared to the likes of The Joker, Lex Luthor, etc) to one of the defining villains of a generation, perhaps even surpassing Darth Vader for some younger folk. For a kid going to see Endgame he would have been the guy who might have literally murdered their favourite hero. Everyone wanted to see him lose because they had seen him win so thoroughly.

Sheev Palpatine
After a nearly 15 years-long absence Sheev Palpatine was reintroduced to the world via Fortnite.

Oct 25, 2017
What are you talking about my Theater couldn't be contained when we all read "THE DEAD SPEAKS!"

You know referencing the audio broadcast from... fucking fortnite

OP
OP
Meg Cherry

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Sheev Palpatine
After nearly 15 years absence Sheev Palpatine was reintroduced to the world via Fortnite.
On that note, I actually think the whole Fortnite event was more interesting and exciting than anything actually in Rise of Skywalker. Like it was a really wierd & crazy thing I'd never seen before - right to the fact it was key to understanding a KEY PLOT POINT of the film. Having hundreds of people whacking each other with lightsabers...

That was memorable. The film, not so much.

Nov 7, 2017
A lot of it is about the payoff for watching all 50 million interconnected MCU movies so if you weren't into MCU before Endgame wouldn't move you as much as fans have been moved.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
it's weird seeing people post about how cheering in a theater is some sort of unexpected, rude imposition

blockbuster movies are made for that sort of thing

we're not talking about someone randomly yelling during a quiet moment here

people are cheering at the places in the movie specifically constructed to elicit cheers

it's just like when people laugh when a movie has jokes

I think this is because nowadays people consume most of their movies sitting at home in silence and expect it to be the same when they go to the theater

In well over 30 years of going to the cinema and seeing tons of films (have been going 30+ times a year for the past 15 years as my local cinema became dirt cheap), there has been loud audience participation like in the OP in precisely one screening, a Batman 4 film marathon (89, Returns, Begins, TDK), and that was probably a mixture of being hardcore fans and alcohol being served.

BFIB

Oct 25, 2017
I'm 40 years old and I've never cried in the theater until that moment the OP clipped.

The whole run from Iron Man 1 through Endgame will never be topped.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
I live in the UK, and I remember the whole theatre cheering in the big battle of endgame. It was an incredible cinema experience.

Yep. In England i never hear anybody make any noise (mainly because its rude) but this moment was the first time I heard an audience actually cheer and go 'no fucking way' at some of the moments

In comparison, TROS had no such moment, barely event laughter

May 25, 2019
London
God that theater in the OP is my nightmare

Nothing like people acting like they've never seen a third act before and preventing everybody else from hearing what is actually going on

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I don't really get the reaction people had in that video for the portal scene. Like it was hype don't get me wrong, but I think everyone expected all of them to come back like that.

The real explosion of cheers was Cap wielding Mjolnir. That was a god tier moment.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I hate when people talk over dialogue and such, but scenes like this are entirely designed for the audience to go wild (which is why they don't have dialogue at all). It's part of the experience, and directors know it fully well; if you don't like it, you're welcome to sunk in the corner or get the Blu-Ray.

What? TROS absolutely induced over-the-top audience reactions, what are you talking about?

(spoilers for the end of TROS)

Hahah, perfect. I watched TROS for the first time less than a week ago, and even having been told by my best friend (and huge SW fan) to stay away from it, it still managed to be far worse than I could have imagined.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It may have been something that would have pleased the hardcore fans more than the general audience but they should have gone full Endgame Portals with the fleet arriving like the novel.

Show Jacen and Hera in the Ghost, show Zay and Shriv from Inferno Squadron, show the Ace pilots from Resistance. Have some pay off with all of this world building outside of the movies.

The novel excerpt for those curious:
ldyqhby5z9n41.jpg

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
Trying to think of other times I've experienced something like the Endgame cheers and tears.

Chucker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
I saw Endgame first night, first show and it was the most fun I've had in a theater in a long time.
TROS was just giggles and silence.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It may have been something that would have pleased the hardcore fans more than the general audience but they should have gone full Endgame Portals with the fleet arriving like the novel.

Show Jacen and Hera in the Ghost, show Zay and Shriv from Inferno Squadron, show the Ace pilots from Resistance. Have some pay off with all of this world building outside of the movies.

The novel excerpt for those curious:
ldyqhby5z9n41.jpg

The general audience does not watch the cartoons so they would've just been confused who any of those people were.. Meanwhile, millions, possibly billions of people already know who Black Panther and Spider-Man are, hence the cheering.