ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
It's about time. Final Fantasy is definitely one of those series (along with Resident Evil and Metal Gear Solid) that I personally associate very closely with PlayStation. Just because when I was growing up and playing games, FF VII, VIII, and IX were in the household collection and were the only Final Fantasy titles I even knew existed.

Despite that, there's no reason at all for SE to be fucking around with any exclusivity deals on any of their games at this point. Not with Sony, not with Nintendo, not with the Epic Games Store. My association of the series with PlayStation is my own thing and part of my history with games but that doesn't mean that's the way it should be in 2024.

Zhaop345

Jul 31, 2024
These rumors are repeated every year when close to TGS and nothing was happened.
Will only believe it when I see it...

chijiokay

Aug 11, 2022
Well, there was the thing with the Square Enix CEO and Phil Spencer sharing the stage, announcing they'd bring more projects to Xbox not too long ago. I imagine this is that. Good move. Going forward I think FF has to adopt a multi-platform strategy though because there is a sense of "too little, too late". Where the likes of Atlus and Capcom have managed to foster fan bases beyond PS (RE, MH, Yakuza, Persona), it just feels like FF isn't capitalising the way it potentially could.

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
If some FF go to game pass, i wonder if this will be the first example of some 3rd party games just coming to the highest tier.

Sydle

Oct 27, 2017
Great to see SE expanding their horizon. The biggest IP are everywhere and I think Final Fantasy can be one of those IP if SE stops their old approach being so selective about what goes where and when.

I hope we get to a point where Xbox and Switch 2 are both day one for future releases.

Gure

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Predictable, so to me, it's not a surprise. I'm more interested in copies sold. Xbox fans, show us how much you wanted FF on your platform.

HelloItsPulse

Dec 14, 2017
I mean, Xbox doesn't really have many more japanese games to get on the platform at this point, and Square already has a foot in the door anyway so may as well go all in.

Now the question is who does Xbox try to get on the platform next? Do they finally send Falcom a boatload of cash and get Ys and Trails?

convo

Oct 25, 2017
I've feel like we've heard this before, at least i assumed this was going on since the Square bosses showed up in that MS presentation where they announced FF14 for xbox and other comments basically saying this.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
It's obviously going to happen at some point, it just a matter of when. It's yet to be seen how successful these late ports will be, but they'll set the stage for all future FF games to have more successful multiplatform launches.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
I know only a few dozen care about it but Forspoken's time exclusivity is up by early 2025, so that's another game that could make its way to Xbox.

Wyatt+

Jan 15, 2020
If I was SE, I would shadow drop Remake on Game Pass (for PC and console). I'd pair that with an announcement date for Rebirth launching on PC and Xbox simultaneously. Grow the audience.

Rurunaki

Oct 27, 2017
These rumors are repeated every year when close to TGS and nothing was happened.
Will only believe it when I see it...

^This. Business standpoint, I can't see how FF7 will do on xbox looking at previous SE titles not selling well on that platfor (including the most recent - Visions of Mana).. FF16 might be the litmus test for this if it's worth porting over the mainline titles.

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
This would be such an absurd chore to get through that I think players would hate it. None of these games were really designed thoughtfully about being "fused" together into a continuous experience - you'd be looking at a 300+ hour long game and trying to tell a coherent story that doesn't fatigue players to the point of exhaustion at that scale would be next to impossible. Even if you cut some of the sidequests, the MSQs of these games are still so long and drawn-out that stitching them together would feel like being forced to mainline an entire multi-season TV series run in one season.

I know why people think they want it, but I think that if they got it they would genuinely hate it and think the games were better split up.
Maybe..but I think it's gonna happen one way or regardless..I agree that it would be an absolute monsterous slog for many tho..but you know what you're getting into.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Unless they struck a deal to bring them all straight to Game Pass, I feel like the sales will be terrible. I can't imagine there's a huge audience of gamers that care enough about Final Fantasy to buy them, but also don't own a Playstation

Granjinhaa

Dec 28, 2023
^This. Business standpoint, I can't see how FF7 will do on xbox looking at previous SE titles not selling well on that platfor (including the most recent - Visions of Mana).. FF16 might be the litmus test for this if it's worth porting over the mainline titles.
Visions of Mana did not sell well on all platforms. That was not exclusive to Xbox.

And can you point it out the rumours from 2022/2023?

xenosys83

Mar 19, 2024
Maybe..but I think it's gonna happen one way or regardless..I agree that it would be an absolute monsterous slog for many tho..but you know what you're getting into.

I just finished Remake in 21 hours and Rebirth in 30. That's 51 hours with some optional content thrown in.

This selective nonsense about "300 hour slogs" needs to end. I played Persona 5 for 130 hours and Elden Ring can be over 200 hours with the DLC included. Absolutely no criticism about them being a slog to get through.

The Mass Effect trilogy is 65 hours if you're just mainlining the story, and a lot more if you're doing optional content and striving for different endings.

If people enjoy the gameplay, story and characters, they'll want more.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Visions of Mana didn't really set the charts on fire regardless and it's the first Mana game on Xbox. Likewise, if FF7 comes then it'll be ... 6 years late? FF16 it'll be near 2 years? And even after PC releases? You can't really have such lackluster treatment of the franchises on the platform and not expect sales to be somewhat mediocre. The play rates/retention of when Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts games were all on Game Pass might've been more illuminating than sales figures from XV way back when or Visions of Mana.

OP
OP
Jawmuncher

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I know only a few dozen care about it but Forspoken's time exclusivity is up by early 2025, so that's another game that could make its way to Xbox.

A funny thing about that is how it's "technically" already on Xbox with the PC port on Windows Store that includes achievements and the like. Was always an odd inclusion as no one paid for it and felt like a "well just have this done now for later"

cgpartlow

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
Seems very likely, but also to note. Anytime Jez writes on Windows Central is a leak with sourced evidence. Anything he says on Xbox Two is stuff he is heard or conjecture. People tend to overblow stuff he says on the podcast when his track record for Windows Central is pretty good

PJTierney

Social Media Manager • EA SPORTS WRC
Verified
Mar 28, 2021
Warwick, UK
I see the oracles are speaking again, but in this specific instance I am hoping they are correct.

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
I just finished Remake in 21 hours and Rebirth in 30. That's 51 hours with some optional content thrown in.

This selective nonsense about "300 hour slogs" needs to end. I played Persona 5 for 130 hours and Elden Ring can be over 200 hours with the DLC included. Absolutely no criticism about them being a slog to get through.

The Mass Effect trilogy is 65 hours if you're just mainlining the story, and a lot more if you're doing optional content and striving for different endings.

If people enjoy the gameplay, story and characters, they'll want more.
Yep, pretty much..and it's 100% happening anyway.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
I mean, Visions of Mana is currently #52 on the best selling charts in the US on Xbox, compared to #42 on the US PlayStation store. I know it's not comparable since I'm pretty sure they use different methods to track sales (I think Xbox is more of a snapshot while PlayStation is rolling, and Xbox tracks different SKUs of the same game in their chart while PlayStation consolidates it) but overall that's about what I'd expect from a budget JRPG on Xbox. It's the first Mana game on the platform as well, compared to being a long running series on PlayStation, so all things considered I'd say it's not terribly behind.

(I know this doesn't track market share differences or how PlayStation is much bigger in Japan where the game would sell more, but the US also isn't worth ignoring, and it shows that it's selling about the same charts wise on Xbox)

You have a source for the sales?
I mean, the digital sales charts for Xbox and PlayStation?

https://store.playstation.com/en-us/pages/browse/2

www.xbox.com

Xbox Games Catalog: All Games | Xbox

Shop our extensive collection of video games in the Xbox game catalog.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
Final Fantasy 13 and 15 did great on Xbox, it's a myth that mainline FF don't do well enough to justify ports. Sony wouldn't need to lock down 16, 7 remake and Rebirth if Square were going to drop Xbox willingly. Xbox even got the Crisis Core game.

Late port 16 probably doesn't do well if it isn't a discount. $70 it will not sell. 7R as well needs to be discounted but that's the issue with late ports and expecting a market to treat it like a brand new release. However, they would be selling more than Mana. Way more.

Nov 2, 2019
It's truly ridiculous that the Pixel Remasters are on PC, PS, Switch, iOS, Android, and the AMAZON FIRE STORE and not Xbox. Was then, and still is, and always will be.

Jun 25, 2022
Don't really see the point of porting them this late in the stage from a business perspective. Maybe a few years ago it would've made a difference.

But would be glad to see more people get to play these games.