Damien1990

May 23, 2020
Wonder if this could be officially announced at TGS…
Possibly. They've announced Yakuza games and Persona on Game Pass at TGS in the past I believe. I think they'll announce a bunch of mainline titles coming to Game Pass immediately (VII, VIII Remastered, IX, X/X-2 HD Remaster etc.) with the Pixel Renasters and XVI coming in 2025.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
I'd really like if 7R came sooner rather than later, but I know that's probably considerably later than 16+Pixel remaster. Oh well

Stef

Oct 28, 2017
Rome, Italy, Planet Earth
Xbox - We have a very competitive console platform!
SquareEnix - Eh, sorry, Sony got the games.

Xbox - We no longer care about the console.
SquareEnix - TAKE ALL OF THE GAMES!

Mmmmmh.

Transistor

Or else Pizza is gonna send out for you
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
I can't see it moving the needle. I feel like most people that want FF gave up hope of it showing up on Xbox again and had already migrated over. Good for the people still waiting over there though, even better if it shows up in gamepass.
Game pass would actually make perfect sense. Surely sales have stagnated to the point that they should absolutely take that game pass bag from Microsoft.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Game pass would actually make perfect sense. Surely sales have stagnated to the point that they should absolutely take that game pass bag from Microsoft.

I mean I think Square probably wants to actually sell copies of their games. Which is why I think Switch 2 will probably be the main focus of the widening of their multiplatform initiative and Xbox will be more of a side effect of the opening-up rather than the core focus.

Putting a bunch of games on Game Pass day one just means you're effectively surrendering any future of selling meaningful amounts of copies of that game on that platform. And considering the unit sales for some of Square's recent releases have been underwhelming, to say the least, I would imagine they want to pump those numbers up with their ports. Game Pass doesn't really help with that, they need that full-price Switch 2 version to make it work.

Transistor

Or else Pizza is gonna send out for you
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
I mean I think Square probably wants to actually sell copies of their games. Which is why I think Switch 2 will probably be the main focus of the widening of their multiplatform initiative and Xbox will be more of a side effect of the opening-up rather than the core focus.

Putting a bunch of games on Game Pass day one just means you're effectively surrendering any future of selling meaningful amounts of copies of that game on that platform. And considering the unit sales for some of Square's recent releases have been underwhelming, to say the least, I would imagine they want to pump those numbers up with their ports.
Oh I didn't mean day one for new titles. I mean just for the existing titles. Like, do we honestly think that the games will sell enough on Xbox to be worth it this late in the game for those titles? Taking that game pass bag up front and then list future titles full price.

Could always split it up too. Full price for 7 and 16 but pixel remasters on game pass.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
Finally! It would be nice if Remake would come with the DLC on-disc for Xbox.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
That's good, though I guess Rebirth (and the eventual FF7R-3) will have to wait quite a bit more.

Suppose they could renegotiate with Sony, the best scenario would be to get Rebirth out on PC and Xbox before part 3 comes out, and then have simultaneous release of part 3 on all platforms.

But I'm not sure how possible that is.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Oh I didn't mean day one for new titles. I mean just for the existing titles. Like, do we honestly think that the games will sell enough on Xbox to be worth it this late in the game for those titles? Taking that game pass bag up front and then list future titles full price.

Could always split it up too. Full price for 7 and 16 but pixel remasters on game pass.

I even mean for the existing titles. I think Square would like to sell more copies of XVI and the VII Remakes so they can point out to their investors how much unit growth they've generated with the ports. Like I said, this is just why I think Switch 2 will be their priority platform and the one they really push.

The Xbox ports should probably launch as full price titles as well and only go to Game Pass after their sales potential on XB has been exhausted. Otherwise they're spending a lot of money on ports that will basically only generate a single check from Xbox, and from what we've been hearing, Microsoft's Game Pass checks have been getting smaller and less lucrative as time goes on and GP's growth has stagnated.

I could buy the Pixel Remasters launching on GP, though. Just not XVI and the VIIRs.

pbayne

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017
Lol midori

Still cant believe they hoodwinked multiple people on this site that ffx 3 was actually being worked on

Basically everything they said about rebirth turned out to be wrong too irrc

Madrugador

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Awesome if true. I hope VIIR includes cross save since I didn't finished it on PS4.

Granjinhaa

Dec 28, 2023
I stand corrected. I imagine it was coming and got cancelled tho (i think we even heard about that). Like i pointed out in an earlier post with a bunch of stuff he (correctly) leaked, he's mostly solid tho.

I could buy the Pixel Remasters launching on GP, though. Just not XVI and the VIIRs.
I 100% expect the first remake (not rebirth) to be on Game Pass at launch. Would be insane not to do it.

APZonerunner

Features Editor at VG247.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
England

Putting a bunch of games on Game Pass day one just means you're effectively surrendering any future of selling meaningful amounts of copies of that game on that platform. And considering the unit sales for some of Square's recent releases have been underwhelming, to say the least, I would imagine they want to pump those numbers up with their ports. Game Pass doesn't really help with that, they need that full-price Switch 2 version to make it work.

An interesting thing to think about in this context, when people say, "why are they bothering with Xbox? we know these games/late ports sell really poorly", there is some truth to that -- but a consideration for larger publishers like SE is that we are moving ever-closer to a new console generation, and market share can flip and twist and do wild things in a generation switch. Something more companies are thinking about more often is trying to build libraries that will move across generations. So in a sense, there's an argument for having something like FF16 or the Pixel Remasters in the Xbox ecosystem so they can carry forward to what they do next - and if what they do next is a hit, all your games are already there. So while this generation is indeed a bit of a write-off, that's totally a factor as well.

Lol midori

Still cant believe they hoodwinked multiple people on this site that ffx 3 was actually being worked on

I will say that in this era, friends who actually work on SE games were laughing at the stuff Midori was putting out. Like gleefully cackling at it. Midori obviously was/is incredibly well-sourced directly with someone at Sega, that much is obvious. But I always got the impression their SE stuff was just speculative guesswork mingled with stuff 'heard on the grapevine', which was ofc widely unsourced and not all that accurate.

Mocha Joe

Jun 2, 2021
To be absolutely clear, not no ports in development. Some, I'm sure, are! Some are totally sooner. But what I'm cautioning against is expecting all of these to come soon. I think the problem with a leak like this is the instant expectation - we've seen some of it in this thread of, "well, these will all be announced at TGS, that makes sense, and be out soon after". And to that, like, not so much.

What has happened: SE has softened its stance and they have decided, internally, that pretty much everything will come to Xbox (there will be random exceptions for myriad reasons, but broadly, the 'defacto' SE exclusivity is coming to an end and you'll see them take a more Capcom-like approach). But that doesn't mean that everything is in development right now.

Personally, I would expect to see the Pixel Remasters soonest, and I would expect to see 16 at some point later. These are the ones where I do believe there are Xbox versions up and running at SE.. But the 7 games are the ones where I don't think they're really engaging with work on ports just yet.
Have you heard anything on Rebirth coming to other platforms? Or is that still a mystery atm?

Bulby

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Berlin
Every year this rumour comes around. Every year nothing happens. I will believe it when I see it

Hitokiri03

Oct 25, 2017
Xbox have been hyping their TGS show a lot, so it might be some truth on that.

FFXVI is almost certain at this point.

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
This is great to hear. I'm not holding my breath, but it's really just the pixel collection I'm after. I honestly don't know that I care about 7 remastered or 16 all that much anymore.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
The fuck is Midori still being mentioned for? Lol

An interesting thing to think about in this context, when people say, "why are they bothering with Xbox? we know these games/late ports sell really poorly", there is some truth to that -- but a consideration for larger publishers like SE is that we are moving ever-closer to a new console generation, and market share can flip and twist and do wild things in a generation switch. Something more companies are thinking about more often is trying to build libraries that will move across generations. So in a sense, there's an argument for having something like FF16 or the Pixel Remasters in the Xbox ecosystem so they can carry forward to what they do next - and if what they do next is a hit, all your games are already there. So while this generation is indeed a bit of a write-off, that's totally a factor as well.

Basically an insurance plan.

Rowsdower

Shinra Employee of The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I could see the Pixel remasters and FFXVI getting announced this year (though 16 might not come out until next year if it took SE 18 months for the PC version). The 7 Remake games I'm iffy about. It's been years since Remake and there's been nothing besides a PC port.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Lol midori

I think that was "I was meant to be a hero" or an user similar to that

Yeeboh

Jul 3, 2024
I can see it now yeah.

Can't see it moving the needle much though
It helps the brand, you can see both mainline FF games have suffered due to Sony exclusivity, its not helping the game or brand so releasing everywhere, especially PC is the goal, Xbox is a bonus. From Software , Capcom and Sega have seen new highs for their I.Ps by taking this approach, and we had the ex-Square exec stating releasing everywhere isn't specifically about individual platform sales but making as much noise as possible upon release which feeds into more sales for all and healthier outlook for the brand, exclusivity is looking like bad business for large I.Ps. Personally I think were going to see publishers less willing to do this, the short term injection of cash doesn't outweigh the loss in awareness for the I.P and truncated sales.

Last edited:

Tigerfish419

Oct 28, 2021
Do you guys really have to post this?

People say crap like that are being console warriors imo because why would they actually care about the sales, it's coming to more platforms that's a good thing and I can't see why anyone would downplay it or look down on it. They can't sell less copies if it comes to more platforms so the logic is funny. Sega brought a bunch of their games to Xbox despite this "they won't sell much" chitchat. Can't grow up if you limit it to one platform we've all been saying this, why limit your entire IP to a single platform when you're a publisher and can spread it across multiple. I think most if not all publishers will stop any sort of exclusive deals like in the past.

Why would you not want to release on PC, Switch, Xbox, PS all at once with marketing being more effective as there's more of an audience to market too.

OP
OP
Jawmuncher

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
The fuck is Midori still being mentioned for? Lol

Basically an insurance plan.

Kind of a side tangent, but with how long game development is these days. Could see a lot of companies really preferring the idea of BC now (even the platform holders themselves). As being able to have an entire library on offer saves a lot of time and some titles as we've seen basically sell forever

Drksage

Oct 30, 2017
I think this is likely true but I don't believe it because Jez+Midori combo
Negative times Negative equals Positive
dipper-thinking.gif

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
Kind of a side tangent, but with how long game development is these days. Could see a lot of companies really preferring the idea of BC now (even the platform holders themselves). As being able to have an entire library on offer saves a lot of time and some titles as we've seen basically sell forever

Oh yeah definitely a smart idea imo.

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
I'd like to see a FFVII Remake 'complete edition' in..let's say 2028 (?) on Xbox with all three entries reworked to be one continuous progression throughout with reworked leveling (lvl 200 cap?) and maybe some of the fluff quests removed. I'll buy it at a high price.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I'd like to see a FFVII Remake 'complete edition' in..let's say 2028 (?) on Xbox with all three entries reworked to be one continuous progression throughout with reworked leveling (lvl 200 cap?) and maybe some of the fluff quests removed. I'll buy it at a high price.

This would be such an absurd chore to get through that I think players would hate it. None of these games were really designed thoughtfully about being "fused" together into a continuous experience - you'd be looking at a 300+ hour long game and trying to tell a coherent story that doesn't fatigue players to the point of exhaustion at that scale would be next to impossible. Even if you cut some of the sidequests, the MSQs of these games are still so long and drawn-out that stitching them together would feel like being forced to mainline an entire multi-season TV series run in one season.

I know why people think they want it, but I think that if they got it they would genuinely hate it and think the games were better split up.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017

I think this may eventually happen, but definitely not that soon. I can see it happening in the 2030's when it gets a big graphical update as well.

Jakartalado

Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
I don't see a massive bump in sales but probably a huge Game Pass hit for 7 Remake, Rebirth and 16.

The pixel titles are very niche and will continue to be a great addition but not to move thousands of units.

silentq15

Aug 15, 2022
After the "secret" exclusive deal rumors Jez doubled down on I have my doubts any of this is true. Doesn't mean it isn't possible or likely but it's also Jez.