RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017

Wow!

She still has a lucrative deal in place iirc, so I'm sure they'll announce a Carol centric spinoff in the coming months. Still, the main show has seemingly been building towards the two of them going off on their own adventure for a while now, so that's going to be an adjustment for sure.

So it's because they're filming the show in Europe? Huh.

It's also being set IN Europe, which is really interesting - perhaps the end of World Beyond was teasing this show and not the Rick movies? And it seems like they were maybe planning on filming it in the US but then decided to actually film in Europe, which is why Melissa suddenly dropped out. I'm sad that Carol isn't going to be a part of it but actually filming a European story in Europe can only be good for the believability of the thing. Can you imagine if they tried to pass rural Georgia off as the south of France or whatever 🤣

And the prospect of seeing Daryl go up against those fast 28 Days Later esque zombies 🤯

OP
OP
Lukar

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Wow!

She still has a lucrative deal in place iirc, so I'm sure they'll announce a Carol centric spinoff in the coming months. Still, the main show has seemingly been building towards the two of them going off on their own adventure for a while now, so that's going to be an adjustment for sure.

It's also being set IN Europe, which is really interesting - perhaps the end of World Beyond was teasing this show and not the Rick movies? And it seems like they were maybe planning on filming it in the US but then decided to actually film in Europe, which is why Melissa suddenly dropped out. I'm sad that Carol isn't going to be a part of it but actually filming a European story in Europe can only be good for the believability of the thing. Can you imagine if they tried to pass rural Georgia off as the south of France or whatever 🤣

And the prospect of seeing Daryl go up against those fast 28 Days Later esque zombies 🤯
Yeah, between her deal with AMC and them saying they hope to see her as Carol again soon, I'm sure she'll either get her own series or appear on one of the other shows. That said, I think the latter is more likely-- having Fear, the Daryl series, Isle of the Dead, and Tales of TWD is already going to make for a packed year (assuming they all last for multiple seasons, which I think is likely), and I don't know if another new series would fit in or not. I can see them moving her to Isle of the Dead, or maybe Fear if that show does another timeskip soon (which I get the feeling it might in the next season or two, once they resolve the "how did Madison survive and what has she been doing" stuff).

As for Europe: yeah, hearing that it's being set there got me REALLY excited. I've been hoping they would show more of the world for a while (the parts of Fear that were set in and near Mexico were great), especially after the World Beyond tease, and knowing that Daryl's gonna be the one we see it through is exciting. And from a viewership standpoint, I think it's probably gonna do well for AMC-- giving Norman Reedus his own TWD series set in a unique (for the universe) setting is going to catch people's interest, I feel. Especially since, if World Beyond's ending was any indication, it's gonna be a lot more action-packed, lol.

I do wonder why they put that scene in World Beyond specifically, though. Maybe some of its characters will somehow wind up on this series? Not sure how they'd manage it from a story standpoint, but it'd be cool to see, say, Felix partnering up with Daryl.

EDIT: I also wonder where exactly the supposed movie trilogy fits into all of this. It's been so long since they were announced, and since we know little about them other than Andrew Lincoln is in them (as well as us already getting a good look at the CRM in World Beyond, which demystified them a good bit), I just… kind of don't care about them anymore, lol. I know I'll get excited for them when they start talking about them again, but these spinoff shows excite me more at this point, and I won't be surprised if we learn that they've instead decided to just do a limited special series about Rick instead or something. We'll see I guess.

EDIT 2: What if they do one movie to show what happened to Rick after he was taken by the CRM, and then get him on the Daryl series, with them doing stuff in Europe. Andrew Lincoln did say that he mainly quit the show because he wanted to be closer to home… 🤔

Last edited:

Natiko

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, between her deal with AMC and them saying they hope to see her as Carol again soon, I'm sure she'll either get her own series or appear on one of the other shows. That said, I think the latter is more likely-- having Fear, the Daryl series, Isle of the Dead, and Tales of TWD is already going to make for a packed year (assuming they all last for multiple seasons, which I think is likely), and I don't know if another new series would fit in or not. I can see them moving her to Isle of the Dead, or maybe Fear if that show does another timeskip soon (which I get the feeling it might in the next season or two, once they resolve the "how did Madison survive and what has she been doing" stuff).

As for Europe: yeah, hearing that it's being set there got me REALLY excited. I've been hoping they would show more of the world for a while (the parts of Fear that were set in and near Mexico were great), especially after the World Beyond tease, and knowing that Daryl's gonna be the one we see it through is exciting. And from a viewership standpoint, I think it's probably gonna do well for AMC-- giving Norman Reedus his own TWD series set in a unique (for the universe) setting is going to catch people's interest, I feel. Especially since, if World Beyond's ending was any indication, it's gonna be a lot more action-packed, lol.

I do wonder why they put that scene in World Beyond specifically, though. Maybe some of its characters will somehow wind up on this series? Not sure how they'd manage it from a story standpoint, but it'd be cool to see, say, Felix partnering up with Daryl.

EDIT: I also wonder where exactly the supposed movie trilogy fits into all of this. It's been so long since they were announced, and since we know little about them other than Andrew Lincoln is in them (as well as us already getting a good look at the CRM in World Beyond, which demystified them a good bit), I just… kind of don't care about them anymore, lol. I know I'll get excited for them when they start talking about them again, but these spinoff shows excite me more at this point, and I won't be surprised if we learn that they've instead decided to just do a limited special series about Rick instead or something. We'll see I guess.

EDIT 2: What if they do one movie to show what happened to Rick after he was taken by the CRM, and then get him on the Daryl series, with them doing stuff in Europe. Andrew Lincoln did say that he mainly quit the show because he wanted to be closer to home… 🤔
That could help alleviate my concern that the first movie won't live up to expectations and they'd cancel the other two lol

OP
OP
Lukar

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
deadline.com

‘Isle Of The Dead’: Gaius Charles Joins Lauren Cohan & Jeffrey Dean Morgan In ‘The Walking Dead’ Spinoff

EXCLUSIVE: Gaius Charles is set as a lead opposite Lauren Cohan and Jeffrey Dean Morgan in Isle of the Dead, AMC‘s upcoming New York City-set The Walking Dead spinoff series. Primetime-Panic Your Complete Guide to Pilots and Straight-to-Series orders See All Isle of the Dead sees Maggie (Cohan)...

Deadline said:
Gaius Charles is set as a lead opposite Lauren Cohan and Jeffrey Dean Morgan in Isle of the Dead, AMC's upcoming New York City-set The Walking Dead spinoff series.

(…)

Charles will play Izaak. He's confident, ruthless, and unyielding in the pursuit of what he believes is justice, with the force of his will and his menace. Izaak enjoys his work and intersperses humor with the terror he incites. This is a family man, devoted to building a safe world for his wife and daughters. His journey unearths a loss he is haunted by. He has patience and resilience and walks rather than runs from his mistakes.

(…)

Known for his fan-favorite role as Brian "Smash" Williams on Friday Night Lights, Charles' recent television credits include guest/recurring roles on The Wonder Years, Queens and Roswell, New Mexico. The Grey's Anatomy and Taken alum can currently be seen on the big screen in Krystin Ver Linden's debut feature Alice, which world premiered at the recent Sundance Film Festival, and in Land of Dreams, premiering at this year's Tribeca Film Festival. He is repped by Gersh and Principal Entertainment LA.
I'm not familiar with this guy, but it's cool to see casting news for Isle start to trickle out.

Auros01

Avenger
Nov 17, 2017
deadline.com

‘Isle Of The Dead’: Gaius Charles Joins Lauren Cohan & Jeffrey Dean Morgan In ‘The Walking Dead’ Spinoff

EXCLUSIVE: Gaius Charles is set as a lead opposite Lauren Cohan and Jeffrey Dean Morgan in Isle of the Dead, AMC‘s upcoming New York City-set The Walking Dead spinoff series. Primetime-Panic Your Complete Guide to Pilots and Straight-to-Series orders See All Isle of the Dead sees Maggie (Cohan)...

I'm not familiar with this guy, but it's cool to see casting news for Isle start to trickle out.
He was in the first few seasons of Friday Night Lights but that was quite a while ago now. I haven't seen him in anything since then, so it's interesting that he suddenly pops up here.

Natiko

Oct 25, 2017
I can't even fathom why people would attack Norman Reedus over this unless I've missed something alleging him to be toxic to work with.

OP
OP
Lukar

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
I can't even fathom why people would attack Norman Reedus over this unless I've missed something alleging him to be toxic to work with.
I think it's just a minority of people being toxic asshats and crafting conspiracy theories, likely saying "Norman Reedus wanted the series all to himself and he forced Melissa off it!" or something. Probably the same no-life assholes that bullied Josh McDermitt off of social media a few years ago.

Oct 25, 2017
Diane Kruger (Norman's fiance) and their child live in Europe. People are sending them hate because they believe Norman is to blame for the production move to Europe to be closer to his family and "doesn't care" about Melissa McBride.

OP
OP
Lukar

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
Diane Kruger (Norman's fiance) and their child live in Europe. People are sending them hate because they believe Norman is to blame for the production move to Europe to be closer to his family and "doesn't care" about Melissa McBride.
🤦‍♀️

People need to grow up.

Natiko

Oct 25, 2017
Still not valid to pin it on him. They should be looking at the creative team if anything if it became a decision of which to go with.

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017

Fear isn't big enough for both Madison and Carol 😤

Isle of the Dead wouldn't work imo because Carol barely has a relationship with Maggie and only kinda sorta has one with Negan.

I could definitely see them doing a Carol episode of Tales though if it gets a second season.

I do wonder why they put that scene in World Beyond specifically, though. Maybe some of its characters will somehow wind up on this series?

If so, I hope they get eaten immediately. (except maybe Felix)

They've dallied for so long that at this point I think everyone is past the point of caring.

OP
OP
Lukar

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
AMC themselves put out a statement regarding harassment towards Norman Reedus:

@AMC_TV in Twitter said:
A statement from AMC and TWD:

We would like to acknowledge the response to this week's news related to the previously announced Daryl and Carol TWD spinoff. Norman Reedus is being unfairly targeted and attacked in social media for a decision he had no part in. (1/3)

Melissa McBride decided she could not participate in the series because relocating to Europe became logistically untenable for her. It is inappropriate to direct negativity and anger at another cast member for a disappointing outcome he had nothing to do with. (2/3)

Carol is a beloved & vital character and we are working to find a way for fans to again follow her story, as only Melissa could give life to, in the expanding universe around The Walking Dead. The fans have always been the driving force behind #TWDFamily and always will be. (3/3)

"Fans" are the fucking worst sometimes.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lukar

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
Kang going to showrun the Carol show maybe?
That'd be cool if that ends up happening. I guess we'll see.

EDIT: An interesting quote from the article:
While scripts for the spinoff were pretty far down the line before McBride's departure, a strategic pivot is taking place now to meet the start of shooting overseas in the next two or three months.
It sounds like this is kind of coming in hot. My guess is that they weren't well-prepared for filming this summer due to everyone's existing commitments to the main series. Planning a move to Europe for an entirely new series so soon after finishing TWD may not have been the best of ideas. (Unless I'm misunderstanding what "pretty far down the line" means? I thought they're saying that the scripts hadn't been anywhere near being closed to finished)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lukar

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
So they are rushing the scripts so they can start filming sooner than planned
That's my read on it, at least. Not a good sign.

EDIT: Or maybe they're just saying that scripts were written some time ago, but are now being quickly rewritten due to McBride's exit so close to filming? I'm not sure. I can see it going either way.

Last edited:

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
EDIT: An interesting quote from the article:

It sounds like this is kind of coming in hot. My guess is that they weren't well-prepared for filming this summer due to everyone's existing commitments to the main series. Planning a move to Europe for an entirely new series so soon after finishing TWD may not have been the best of ideas. (Unless I'm misunderstanding what "pretty far down the line" means? I thought they're saying that the scripts hadn't been anywhere near being closed to finished)

It reads to me like the season was already mostly written and was scheduled to film in the next few months, but now they're "pivoting" the show into something else to accommodate the new filming location and lack of Carol - and that Kang dropped out because it's no longer the show she envisioned.

Clearly something is going on behind the scenes because this is pretty unusual...

(also unusual is that the new showrunner is a total newcomer to TWD universe. Up to this point they've always promoted from within.)

(Also did we know Isle of the Dead is only 6 episodss?)

OP
OP
Lukar

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
It reads to me like the season was already mostly written and was scheduled to film in the next few months, but now they're "pivoting" the show into something else to accommodate the new filming location and lack of Carol - and that Kang dropped out because it's no longer the show she envisioned.

Clearly something is going on behind the scenes because this is pretty unusual...

(also unusual is that the new showrunner is a total newcomer to TWD universe. Up to this point they've always promoted from within.)

(Also did we know Isle of the Dead is only 6 episodss?)
Isle's first season being six episodes was known, yeah. They announced it alongside the original announcement of the series. I guess that's AMC's go-to for new shows lol.

And yeah, this whole thing sounds like a bit of a mess. It's concerning.

Saifu

Oct 27, 2017
They should just merge Daryl show with Negan/Maggie show into one at this point imo.
Things might be more interesting with a show focusing on this trio.

OP
OP
Lukar

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if perhaps the Europe / France tease at the end of World Beyond was meant to be for something other than the Daryl series - an unannounced show, or the Rick movies - but whatever it was got quietly canceled very recently and they already had permits to film in Europe, so they decided to change course for the Daryl series so none of that stuff went to waste.

They should just merge Daryl show with Negan/Maggie show into one at this point imo.
Things might be more interesting with a show focusing on this trio.
Maybe they'll get Melissa McBride to join that show.

Natiko

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if perhaps the Europe / France tease at the end of World Beyond was meant to be for something other than the Daryl series - an unannounced show, or the Rick movies - but whatever it was got quietly canceled very recently and they already had permits to film in Europe, so they decided to change course for the Daryl series so none of that stuff went to waste.

Maybe they'll get Melissa McBride to join that show.
I always assumed that was meant to be a tease for the Rick movies. Please just pivot.. there's no way they'll get three of those put out. The series is on the decline. I enjoy it, but it isn't at the peak.

OP
OP
Lukar

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
I always assumed that was meant to be a tease for the Rick movies. Please just pivot.. there's no way they'll get three of those put out. The series is on the decline. I enjoy it, but it isn't at the peak.
That's what I assumed too. I'm just starting to think that with how long it's taken for them to... well, exist, they may have decided recently to cancel them and sort of merge their story with the Daryl series... or something. I don't know. I just wish they'd give us some sort of update on what the hell is going on. It's been almost a year since anyone from the production side said anything about them, and it was literally just Greg Nicotero saying he's read the scripts, "They're taking the time to make sure they get it right," etc., etc. The same vague statements they've ever given.

I don't really like the idea of TWD movies, so maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part. TWD isn't about big blockbuster action, it's a drama series that often takes its time with character development. I don't feel that it's suited well to films. And with Scott Gimple supposedly writing them... It's not a good combination, imo.

Natiko

Oct 25, 2017
That's what I assumed too. I'm just starting to think that with how long it's taken for them to... well, exist, they may have decided recently to cancel them and sort of merge their story with the Daryl series... or something. I don't know. I just wish they'd give us some sort of update on what the hell is going on. It's been almost a year since anyone from the production side said anything about them, and it was literally just Greg Nicotero saying he's read the scripts, "They're taking the time to make sure they get it right," etc., etc. The same vague statements they've ever given.

I don't really like the idea of TWD movies, so maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part. TWD isn't about big blockbuster action, it's a drama series that often takes its time with character development. I don't feel that it's suited well to films. And with Scott Gimple supposedly writing them... It's not a good combination, imo.
I would agree. I wish they would just come up with a new plan. Maybe they have and don't want to clue people in, but not releasing at least a single TWD movie would be such an admission of failure. Do a single gap movie then slap him into the Daryl series. Carol can get her own series - don't slap her in the other planned ones. Maybe do a small series with her overseeing whatever remains after the main TWD? Someone gotta look after little ass kicker.

OP
OP
Lukar

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
I would agree. I wish they would just come up with a new plan. Maybe they have and don't want to clue people in, but not releasing at least a single TWD movie would be such an admission of failure. Do a single gap movie then slap him into the Daryl series. Carol can get her own series - don't slap her in the other planned ones. Maybe do a small series with her overseeing whatever remains after the main TWD? Someone gotta look after little ass kicker.
Doing one movie to show what happened to Rick after he left TWD and then putting him on the Daryl series sounds like a good idea to me. If Andrew Lincoln's main issue with TWD when he left was that he didn't get to see his family much, then I'd imagine a show that's filmed in Europe may be easier to sell him on. I hope that's what they do.

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
Finished up the world beyond, that after credits scene was pretty exciting. I feel like the actual show wrapped up way too quickly and I hope we are not left hanging on what happens to these characters forever. I started to like a few of them by the end.

After tomorrows fear episode Ill be all caught up on every walking dead show. Damn, what do I do with my life now lol

OP
OP
Lukar

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
Looks like Garret Dillahunt is open to reprising his role as John Dorie Jr. one day:

I'd love if they had an episode or two of Tales centered around him.

OP
OP
Lukar

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
Same, I know he wasn't universally liked but I thought he was one of the few bright spots in recent memory.
I think the general (though not unanimous, of course) consensus is that he was the most beloved post-Erickson character from Fear. I can't imagine that they would turn down having him on Tales if Dillahunt is serious about being interested in it.

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
FUla2W-VUAA79ND

photo of alpha

Tales-Of-The-Walking-Dead.jpg

Terry Crews and Olivia Munn

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lukar

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
So if Tales finishes on September 18th (or the 11th for AMC+ subscribers), then the final set of episodes for TWD likely begins airing on or around September 25th on cable / 18th on AMC+. That would put the series finale on November 13th on cable / 6th on AMC+. (EDIT: I forgot that there was a behind-the-scenes video that penned October 2nd as the premiere date, but it's since been deleted, so not sure if that's set in stone.)

I guess Fear the Walking Dead season eight is most likely getting bumped to an early 2023 premiere? Unless they decide to air it alongside TWD this Fall, which I guess they could do, but I doubt it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lukar

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
OP
OP
Lukar

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
San Diego Comic-Con panel info:

Friday, July 22, 2022
  • Tales of the Walking Dead
    • 12:30 PM - 1:30 PM (Pacific)
    • Hall H
    • Moderator: Chris Hardwick
    • Panelists: Scott M. Gimple, Channing Powell, Terry Crews, Michael Satrazemis, Samantha Morton, Danny Ramirez, "and more"
  • The Walking Dead
    • 1:30 PM - 2:30 PM (Pacific)
    • Hall H
    • Moderator: Chris Hardwick
    • Panelists: Scott M. Gimple, Angela Kang, Greg Nicotero, Norman Reedus, Melissa McBride, Christian Serratos, Ross Marquand, Khary Payton, Seth Gilliam, Josh McDermitt, Michael James Shaw, Cailey Fleming, Lauren Ridloff
No panel for Fear the Walking Dead, which I think is the first time that's happened since the show's premiere. Makes sense though, since they're currently starting work on season eight.

The "and more" for the Tales panel makes me think we might get a surprise cast member revealed or something. Maybe Chad Coleman? I remember there being rumors of him being on the show, though I'm not sure how grounded in reality they were. We'll see.

Maybe we'll also finally get an update on the Rick moviesahahahaha who am I kidding. :^(

Also… anyone check out Clementine: Book One yet? I kind of forgot it came out until now…