• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 26, 2017
I'm jealous. I pay to import goldfish every couple of months. Food is definitely what i miss most about America, a large part of that being snack foods

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
as someone who thinks oreos are kinda gross, this scares me

There's like, 50 flavors, so unless you don't like cookies, there's def a flavor in there that works for everyone. Just had a s'mores flavor recently where they actually used graham cracker as the cookie with a marshmallow/chocolate filling, and it's now one of my favorite Oreos ever!

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Meh.

The snacks at Asian markets >>
Seriously this.
Even if you only look at American brands, they are waaaaaaaaay more flavors in the Asian markets than what is available in the US.
Pretty much every salty snack that you like also comes in shrimp flavor.
You add local snacks to the mix and it's not really a competition.
You can get American snacks everywhere, you can't get most Asian snacks in the US.

p.s.
f2TlQKN.png

giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul
Ugh. Maybe it's because I'm getting older, but most of that stuff is just awful to me now. As a kid, I was a sugar junkie, and would be all over some of that stuff, but you'd have to pay me to eat any of it now.

American fast food, on the other hand, I still F with from time to time.

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
There's like, 50 flavors, so unless you don't like cookies, there's def a flavor in there that works for everyone. Just had a s'mores flavor recently where they actually used graham cracker as the cookie with a marshmallow/chocolate filling, and it's now one of my favorite Oreos ever!
they can make all the wacky flavors they want to but it doesn't change the fact that oreos are simply a sugar sludge delivery system

when people crack them open and eat the filling first it horrifies me

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
They do come across as very American.

Red Solo Cup (the song) is a staple of college parties here.

I thought Fanta was some Euro or South American thing? At least going by the commercials before movies at the theater that seem dubbed in english.

Fanta is European, yeah. It was Nazi Coke originally (as in, the main soda in Germany when the embargoes blocked actual Coke)

it looks like the Newman's Own stuff is about the only one for sale over here

Newman's is good, and it all goes to charity which is nice

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Get these, they are absolutely stuffed with sugar and will probably be a sensory overload (as will most of the things pictured) but they are crack. Like literally they must have some drug in them idk idk every time I see a box I start shaking dude, it's that bad
I am not really a cereal guy but this thread has made me feel like I need to try this at least once.

Xterrian

Apr 20, 2018
I don't see TastyKakes in those pictures, so it automatically doesn't meet my standards. Speaking of, I need to check if they have their Halloween themed kakes out. I love the ones with orange frosting and black sprinkles.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
Avoid the pretzel pop tarts at all costs

Get you one of those yellow cake box mixes, bake it according to the instructions, but then slice it and eat it warm without icing it, it's delicious.

Bentendo24

Feb 20, 2020
My picks from the pictures:

Recess Puff Cereal... My gawd
Sweet Baby Rays BBQ
Double Stuff Oreos
Manwich sloppy joe can
Panko bread crumbs (find a good chicken recipe online with honey drizzled on top)

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised you'd feel that way being in London, since I'd say British junk food is just as comprehensive, but tastes much better in comparison. A lot of the highly processed American stuff tastes much worse than it looks (like everything by Hostess).

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
Are Little Debbie Swiss Rolls available outside america?

They're fucking garbage but they were a staple of my childhood.

EDIT: Zebra cakes too.

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020
America's junk food game is good, but our candy is lagging. Almost every candy bar I ate during my summer at Oxford (and it was a lot, as the university gave them away as part of our meal plan) was better than its American counterpart if they had one or just plain better in general. Thankfully I walked 10 to 12 miles every day or I probably would have come back a bit heftier otherwise.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
Are Little Debbie Swiss Rolls available outside america?

They're fucking garbage but they were a staple of my childhood.
I'm no stranger to Swiss rolls, though I haven't seen Little Debbie outside of the US. But lord, were they so much worse than what I expected. I don't know how you get a Swiss roll to taste like that.

Dis

Oct 27, 2017
I'm surprised you'd feel that way being in London, since I'd say British junk food is just as comprehensive, but tastes much better in comparison. A lot of the highly processed American stuff tastes much worse than it looks (like everything by Hostess).

This. As someone who has spent 3-6 months a year in the usa since 2016 there is literally 0 chance I'd ever say American junk food is the best. Not just because of it tasting worse than alternatives or even the same thing outside of the usa but because when stuff is sold in the USA and elsewhere it is often vastly overpriced in the usa compared to even the UK, that's including the 20% VAT. American junk food has good parts just like everywhere but it far from the best junk food you can get. Hell I'd never trade European junk food for American and that doesn't even come close to the stuff you can get in Asia.

Personal tastes and all but when I'm in texas I end up buying a bunch of Mexican junk food because that stuff is far and away better than most usa junk food of similar types.

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
I'm no stranger to Swiss rolls, though I haven't seen Little Debbie outside of the US. But lord, were they so much worse than what I expected. I don't know how you get a Swiss roll to taste like that.
I'm ashamed to say, but I had a system for peeling them apart to eat every single layer as an individual piece. I think it's mostly because I had it way more often than I should've, but fuck I can't look at one of those without wretching.

Namaste

Oct 25, 2017
Not going to lie, as an American, it is abhorrently awful but I have a soft spot for Hormel Chili.

While it is edible direct out of the can, I do recommend heating it up before eating (pan, not microwave) if you brave it. Can mix in some shredded cheese and diced white onion to elevate it a little bit, too.

Why do you say its awful? Compared to most chilli out of a can I find it to be one of the best and most flavorful. Especially the dynamite one.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
I'm ashamed to say, but I had a system for peeling them apart to eat every single layer as an individual piece. I think it's mostly because I had it way more often than I should've, but fuck I can't look at one of those without wretching.
Oh yeah, that's the only proper way to eat them. It's amazing what we put ourselves through over the years. At least now I can say that it's not remotely worth the calories.

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
Okay, first off - it's already been mentioned, but find Little Debbie's Oatmeal Creme Pies somehow. Don't get big ones, don't get a different brand. Just those. I didn't see them in any of the pics, but they're excellent.
Second, if you're seroulsy interested in American junk food you should try all the mac and cheese varieties they have. My condolences for your waistline ahead of time, but it used to be (still is?) a very serious staple here. And the Velveeta Shells and Cheese isn't half bad, especially with a bit of salt and pepper.

If you want halfway decent food, Zatarain's Red Beans and Rice is excellent, especially with some sausage or some cheddar cheese (maybe not both though?). And Zatarain's Dirty Rice with hamburger is so good I usually cook it for myself as a treat when I have an evening alone (it's a bit on the spicy side for my wife).

OP go try Ranch dressing you haven't already. On Salads, chicken wings, burgers, pizza; its great!
This is next level American food advice. I didn't even get it until I moved to Kansas from another part of the midwest, before that ranch was just for veggies and salads.

Sirank

Oct 27, 2017
lol that store is kinda hilarious! Reminds me I got a big variety pack of sweet baby rays bbq, wing sauce and dry spices for christmas a couple years back and still have like 8 bottles left.

The flavor blasted Goldfish are pretty darn good IMO. Not as good as white cheddar cheez-it's but they do in a pinch.

I also had a weakness for keebler e.l.fudge cookies since I was a kid but idk if they have those. Peanut butter ones are real good too.

Last edited:

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick"
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Why do you say its awful? Compared to most chilli out of a can I find it to be one of the best and most flavorful. Especially the dynamite one.

I'm only lending excessive deference to the variety of people that have told me to my face that I'm making a terrible health and taste choice by eating Hormel. I could not honestly reply to you direct with an explanation for why it's awful. It's been present at all times in my diet for all of the life that I can remember and almost never regretfully.

That said, people judge me HARD when I say I like it.

That, and SPAM. I grew up on both things and am perfectly comfortable with both. But both draw a lot of judgment and ire and I've never had an honest conversation about why, so I can't pass along an honest answer to you.

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
Stop while you can OP. Oh wait, there's Hamburger Helper. Yum.
Lol. There's an old youtuber that I'd rather not say their name because he seems like a nice guy, but he would post videos about how to use Hamburger Helper without meat. Just a putrid mess of gross sauce and crappy pasta.

I'm super gladful that my mother, despite being raised on a post-WW2 diet never actually bought into these easy meals.

kirby_fox

Oct 29, 2017
Midwest USA
If you can get Wild Berry pop tarts those are the best. Throw them in the toaster and it makes them better. Might help the strawberry ones too. Cinnamon toast crunch is prob the best cereal we have.

Cherry coke is better but cherry vanilla is amazing. From the photos you took def try the double Stuf Oreos, make some barbecue with sweet baby Ray's, and go for Jif peanut butter and that marshmallow fluff. Really your choice on what to eat it with.

My go to bigger brand junk foods are cape cod brand kettle chips, Cheezits and Ruffle chips with a chip dip like Helluva Good

Namaste

Oct 25, 2017
I'm only lending excessive deference to the variety of people that have told me to my face that I'm making a terrible health and taste choice by eating Hormel. I could not honestly reply to you direct with an explanation for why it's awful. It's been present at all times in my diet for all of the life that I can remember and almost never regretfully.

That said, people judge me HARD when I say I like it.

That, and SPAM. I grew up on both things and am perfectly comfortable with both. But both draw a lot of judgment and ire and I've never had an honest conversation about why, so I can't pass along an honest answer to you.

Ahhh I see what you mean. I've noticed it too. I think part of it is because chilli is something thats pretty easy to make at home so people tend to favor their own creations and family traditions vs the convience of eating something out of a can.