• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 31, 2017
Real talk, that sounds like some real low brow conversations between that dude and his fiance. They sound like miserable people with no empathy.

He made that clear when he stated his fiancé thinks racial taunting is something people should just get over, because she had to deal with it

which is strange because when another posters called his fiancé a racial epithet a few pages back, he used that as an excuse to ignore my post and act like he was so done with the thread...

but since him and his fiancé are so cool with racial abuse, why did he act like he had a problem with that poster's comment?

Pendas

Oct 28, 2017
troll2
trōl/
verb
gerund or present participle: trolling
informal
make a deliberately offensive or provocative online post with the aim of upsetting someone or eliciting an angry response from them.

Except I'm not trolling. I'm giving my honest opinion on the Documentary during my RL downtime. If it's upsetting you... sorry? I'm not trying to elicit an angry response out of you, I don't care how you respond, I just so happen to find it humorous. You can always just..not respond? Just being honest here.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Except I'm not trolling. I'm giving my honest opinion on the Documentary during my RL downtime. If it's upsetting you... sorry? I'm not trying to elicit an angry response out of you, I don't care how you respond, I just so happen to find it humorous. You can always just..not respond? Just being honest here.

Mods disagreed.

Kreed

The Negro Historian
Oct 25, 2017
Well obviously. I'm upset about it and I'm a person. Clearly I mean more people should be upset about it. I think most people don't care at all.

Thankfully there are way more (popular) Black characters (real and cartoons) in US media alone that continue to keep characters like Cleveland from causing the kinds of problems Apu did for many people.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
So I figured I'd peek back in here, I finally sat down and watched the whole thing with my Fiance, and... wow. It was bad, like really fucking bad. Going into it I thought he would have more legitimate arguments, but when you use hyperbole phrases like "Apu ruined my life. This is a grudge I've had for 28 years," then videotape yourself throwing a tantrum because Hank Azaria didn't acknowledge your e-mail, and then do a little slideshow of you punching his characters... yeah, we both think this guy is a little bitch. His other guests were more informed and professional I wish we saw more of them. My Fiance was so mad at this she personally tweeted to him about it. Some of Hot takes from our viewing I found funny,

"The reason Indian people aren't complaining about this is because we're too busy going to school, becoming Doctors, and doing something with our lives to worry about a Cartoon Character."
"Even his own parents think Apu is funny and he's being a little bitch."
"Our Pastor used to do the Apu voice during church (all Indian Church) and everyone always laughed. We loved it."
and my personal fav.
"The only reason this guy hates Apu is because he will never be as funny or as popular as Apu."
Those were jokes. Like he literally doesn't actually film himself throwing a tantrum, he goes offscreen and starts making a bunch of noises as if he was breaking something. Because it's supposed to show how frustrating Azaria's evasion is. Him fighting a cutout of Apu is a callback to the joke in the beginning of him imagining fighting Hank Azaria. His own parents don't demean him like that at all. His other guests all echoed similar stuff as him, besides Dana Gould who thinks punching up at a rich guy and punching down at a brown convenience store owner are equivalent comedic scenarios. Hell Kal Penn admits he dislikes the Simpsons altogether because of Apu compared to Hari who still enjoyed the show despite some hang ups. Is Kal Penn a bitch? I'm not sure how you and your fiancée could both misconstrue a 50 min doc this much and have you're ultimate takeaway be "yeah, he's a bitch, I'm gonna give him a piece of my mind on twitter".

Like if anyone is being a bitch, it's Azaria quoting him in a huffpost article, but refusing to actually engage with him, resending this same article when interviews are requested, and final watching some highlights of a doc but being too afraid to be under the editing hands of a guy who dislikes the character.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Those were jokes. Like he literally doesn't actually film himself throwing a tantrum, he goes offscreen and starts making a bunch of noises as if he was breaking something. Because it's supposed to show how frustrating Azaria's evasion is. Him fighting a cutout of Apu is a callback to the joke in the beginning of him imagining fighting Hank Azaria. His own parents don't demean him like that at all. His other guests all echoed similar stuff as him, besides Dana Gould who thinks punching up at a rich guy and punching down at a brown convenience store owner are equivalent comedic scenarios. Hell Kal Penn admits he dislikes the Simpsons altogether because of Apu compared to Hari who still enjoyed the show despite some hang ups. Is Kal Penn a bitch? I'm not sure how you and your fiancée could both misconstrue a 50 min doc this much and have you're ultimate takeaway be "yeah, he's a bitch, I'm gonna give him a piece of my mind on twitter".

Like if anyone is being a bitch, it's Azaria quoting him in a huffpost article, but refusing to actually engage with him, resending this same article when interviews are requested, and final watching some highlights of a doc but being too afraid to be under the editing hands of a guy who dislikes the character.

You gotta love how the guy keeps pretending he's all above it, especially his low brow fiance's quote about how indian people are too busy being mega successful to worry about cartoons. Meanwhile this dude has been posting for days online in the less popular subforum section of a spin off of a video game forum about Apu. How can your argument be that you and your fiances are too big of a mover and shaker to dare get upset at the frivolous simpsons, when you demonstrably waste your time on this forum arguing pointless shit? Hell, less than arguing pointless shit, he came here specifically to get people hurling insults his way.

I called that dude pages ago. He thinks he's above this all, but he's actually way, way below it.

Pendas

Oct 28, 2017

Cool, thanks for the response. I probably did Misinterpret the jokes, they didn't connect with me at all. I didn't find them funny and it conflicted with tone he going for in the Documentary. Sometimes he tried to be funny, sometimes serious.. it was all over the place. If he wants to make a serious Documentary about how Apu hurts Indian people, don't fill it with comic strips about punching Hank Azaria and throwing off screen tantrums because you don't get the response you want. That's why I see this as him complaining, he doesn't give the subject the kind of serious respect it deserves, so why should I take him seriously? Why should I respect his opinion when he makes a valid point, but then says something outrageous and hyperbole like "The character of Apu made me hate my own family." and "I've been holding a grudge against Apu for 28 years." How do ridiculous statements like that help your cause?

I love Kal Penn, I actually met him and spoke with him once, and I was surprised that he felt so strongly about Apu. I found his story about his Van Wilder character kinda contradictory... yeah, he hated the role, yes it was a stereotype... but that Stereotype role is what skyrocked him to fame. He also didn't regret doing it. So, I'm not sure what his point was if he benefited from a stereotype the Documentary is supposed to be critical of? The panelists were good because I felt the treated the subject with more respect than the host did.

On the other hand, I think Azaria is treating this like an adult and giving it the serious thought it deserves. Like he said in his email, the Documentary was very cherry picked with sound bites that fit the quota of the piece. He's not going to subject himself to that. He said he's open to a discussion about it, but he wants it done in a way that won't obscure his stance on the subject. Hell, even in his old quotes earlier in the documentary, you can see where they hard edit his sentences.

gcwy

Oct 27, 2017
Houston, TX
I was always disgusted how western media has portrayed foreign people. But thick accents always stuck out to me. Like, stop. Finding out later that they were voiced by a white person was just sad. They should just remove the character altogether and replace it with a new one. Do people still find characters like Apu funny?

Oct 25, 2017
I found his story about his Van Wilder character kinda contradictory... yeah, he hated the role, yes it was a stereotype... but that Stereotype role is what skyrocked him to fame. He also didn't regret doing it. So, I'm not sure what his point was if he benefited from a stereotype the Documentary is supposed to be critical of?

The point is that he couldn't get work unless he was willing to do a stereotype which he found demeaning. It's a point that is brought up repeatedly in the documentary and has been brought up by minority actors and actresses for many, many years.

I'm quite surprised that an informed intellectual such as yourself failed to grasp that point.

On the other hand, I think Azaria is treating this like an adult and giving it the serious thought it deserves. Like he said in his email, the Documentary was very cherry picked with sound bites that fit the quota of the piece. He's not going to subject himself to that. He said he's open to a discussion about it, but he wants it done in a way that won't obscure his stance on the subject. Hell, even in his old quotes earlier in the documentary, you can see where they hard edit his sentences.

Well the question was asked many years ago so his response better be a doctoral fucking thesis if he's given it this much serious thought.

Something tells me it won't be.

Pendas

Oct 28, 2017
The point is that he couldn't get work unless he was willing to do a stereotype which he found demeaning. It's a point that is brought up repeatedly in the documentary and has been brought up by minority actors and actresses for many, many years.

I'm quite surprised that an informed intellectual such as yourself failed to grasp that point.

See, it's these kind of condescending back handed comments that I don't understand. Where did I ever claim to be an informed intellectual? Just because I called an on air personality a "little bitch" I get called a coon, a fanboy, ignorant, etc. Then I get accused of trolling because I choose to embrace the ridiculousness of the personal attacks and brush them off instead of engaging them directly. All because of a dissenting opinion. It's a shame because I would have liked to answer this question if it was presented by someone other than you.

Oct 25, 2017
Where did I ever claim to be an informed intellectual?

you said:

I just gave a more informed Opinion

and this "informed" opinion failed to spot obviously signposted jokes and missed a large part of the point of not only the documentary as it pertains to Apu being the main avenue for a depressingly large number of Americans to learn about brown folk but how a lack of representation and institutional racism harms minorities in all walks of life including the entertainment industry.

Generally people don't get stupider about a subject after becoming informed but I dunno, you do you.

It's a shame because I would have liked to answer this question if it was presented by someone other than you.

Careful. You're starting to sound like, dare I said it, a little bitch.

Ororo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't like to get into political threads but man, people need to chill for a while. This polarizing attitude is the exact one that got Trump elected and will get him re-elected. But I know this will fall on deaf ears.

I'm glad The Simpsons responded the way they did as they should have and have always done so. In the past it was from the other political extreme that they were defending and now this. Funny how life works.

Whales

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
what can you do?

maybe get in the current times and change something if its problematic now?

... nah, too much effort

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I don't like to get into political threads but man, people need to chill for a while. This polarizing attitude is the exact one that got Trump elected and will get him re-elected. But I know this will fall on deaf ears.

I'm glad The Simpsons responded the way they did as they should have and have always done so. In the past it was from the other political extreme that they were defending and now this. Funny how life works.

If you're voting because people disagreed with your on the Internet, you probably didn't really care too much about the values that Trump threatens to begin with.

I'll agree with your comment falling on deaf ears, though, in that everyone's heard the line a billion times by now, and it's always to shut down an unpleasant argument.

Oct 25, 2017

Yes, being told "Racism is bad" forced people who are totally not racist at all to vote for a white supremacist and defend his every fuck-up since taking office.

Stop with that bullshit.

Oct 25, 2017
This corny threat was tired in 2016

Funny how the fuckwits who repeat that line never seem to say anything like "We should stop telling immigrants to speak English because that polarising attitude stops them integrating" or "we should be nice and listen to liberals and minorities because we don't need that kind of divisive attitude"

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I find it fucking beautiful that a guy is getting pissy over the unpleasant response to his "different opinion" because being rude is just the fucking worst.

Oh btw the "different opinion" is whether or not hari kondabolu is a "little bitch".

Talk about lack of self awareness...

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I, for one, and surprised that someone who tries to shut down an argument they don't like immediately bails out when that tactic doesn't work.

Whitemex

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
giphy.webp

Kreed

The Negro Historian
Oct 25, 2017

1. This thread has nothing to do with US politics. It's about a cartoon character on the Simpson's television show, a documentary about the negative influence this character has had, and opinions (both negative and positive) about the character.
2. There's a long list of things that you could point out in regards to the 2016 US election (voter suppression, Comey/Emails, Russian hacking, low Democrat voter turn out for every group except Black women in comparison to 2012, fake news, Facebook, poll inaccuracy, media bubbles...) and Apu isn't on it.
3. It's perfectly fine for people to have negative opinions on something and share them online just as much as it's fine to have opinions of praise. Sharing negative opinions doesn't mean anyone "needs to chill" any more than sharing positive ones. You'd think people regularly posting on a message board would know this better than most.

louisacommie

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
I'd heard of this before so I decided to look it up on YouTube and couldn't find the thing, do a little research and this is like an actual network project. Thought it was a YouTube video.

Anyone lol that guy with pointing out racism makes people vote trump" take straight out of 2016

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
I don't see the Simpsons portrayal of Pay problematic in isolation. The problem is that Indian representation in American media has been really lacking apart from these stereotypes so this becomes the generalised view of Indians in America.

Like I'm Scottish and if groundskeeper Willy was the only representation of Scottish culture it could be problematic. Luckily we had Mel Gibson and his hideous Scottish accent to give us a pretty cool representation in the media of one of our most famous historical figures, oh and Gordon Ramsay.

It's similar to the issues facing black people in mainstream media where the systemic racism is so ingrained in people it's hard to see where to start to tackle the problem.

The one thing I'd say though is that the rise of people like Kal and Aziz despite his sexual misdemeanors are a good start.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
I work in a call centre with an offshore IT team, people will still mimic and mock indian accents as if it's harmless and it's characters like Apu that feed that viewpoint.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I work in a call centre with an offshore IT team, people will still mimic and mock indian accents as if it's harmless and it's characters like Apu that feed that viewpoint.

One of my best friends is indian and a doctor (his family is fluent in tamil, for example). Speaks without an accent at all, over the phone he'd sound like any other person born and raised in America. Called him earlier today and talked about this exact video, and he told me that sometimes his own patients will, when leaving, say "thank you come again!" to him in the Apu accent. This is a fucking doctor.

UCBooties

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Pennsylvania, USA
Oh shit! Wasn't expecting to see a "this is why Trump won, this is why he'll win again" fuckwit in the wild. If you're basing your political decisions on someone's critique of media there's really no hope for how skewed your priorities are.

ishan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I remember a topic about this a little back was this a delayed response? I havent watched the video yet so dont quite have an opinion on it yet.

Oct 31, 2017
Oh shit! Wasn't expecting to see a "this is why Trump won, this is why he'll win again" fuckwit in the wild. If you're basing your political decisions on someone's critique of media there's really no hope for how skewed your priorities are.

For the "polorizing" talk, most of those people simply choose a side based on trolling. An Indian dude making a documentary about an outdated character has fuck all to do with the President but the Indian dude with a voice represents a great evil to the president's overt endorsements of white supremacy so that's why Hari is now being blamed for trump in this thread

Oct 25, 2017
I'd heard of this before so I decided to look it up on YouTube and couldn't find the thing, do a little research and this is like an actual network project. Thought it was a YouTube video.

Anyone lol that guy with pointing out racism makes people vote trump" take straight out of 2016

It's on Vimeo, on my phone so finding a link is a hassle but have a look for it there

Oct 25, 2017
One of my best friends is indian and a doctor (his family is fluent in tamil, for example). Speaks without an accent at all, over the phone he'd sound like any other person born and raised in America. Called him earlier today and talked about this exact video, and he told me that sometimes his own patients will, when leaving, say "thank you come again!" to him in the Apu accent. This is a fucking doctor.

It's fine, he's too busy doctoring to be offended right?

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
Just watched The Problem with Apu. Thought the documentary was actually pretty toothless for the most part. It doesn't really go after the writers, but rather the voice actor of Apu for pursuing his particular accent. Which makes this response by the Simpsons staff all the more tone-deaf.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
Just watched The Problem with Apu. Thought the documentary was actually pretty toothless for the most part. It doesn't really go after the writers, but rather the voice actor of Apu for pursuing his particular accent. Which makes this response by the Simpsons staff all the more tone-deaf.
Ironically, Hank is the one coming off looking the best in terms of handling this issue maturely and responsibly as far as the show's representation is concerned.

Everyone else has either been outright dismissive of the objections raised, offensively tone-deaf in a clear interest to hijack this issue to boost the show's relevance in 2018 or complicit in being used as a vehicle for either the dismissive/social engineering angles while betraying one's own principles/value system.

Last edited:

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I've been ignoring the documentary for whatever reason, but I got around to seeing most of it yesterday. I got to the part where Hank Azaria says he might be able to meet, so if he does, I don't know. But I wanted to jot down my thoughts.

There's the bit where Hari is in a room full of brown people and asks them if they ever heard the line as part of childhood bullying and they all raise their hand gives me a really strange feeling. I can't really describe it; it's just a weird way of framing the experience to me. This almost seems like a minor thing going back, and I can't recall every really talking to someone about the experience of Apu, but here are a bunch of people who have had the same experience and are just matter-of-factly acknowledging it.

When Hari Kondabolu and Kal Penn are both talking about Apu in context of their enjoyment of The Simpsons, I think I fall more on Hari's side. It didn't ruin The Simpsons at all for me. I'm not one of the more dedicated fans, but I enjoy The Simpsons and I appreciate a good Simpsons reference now and again.

But Apu just ruins my appreciation of Apu. I probably wouldn't ever think of doing a documentary on him, but I don't think I ever found him funny, and all the attempts to humanize him by showing how he's just like any other American do nothing for me. He's tainted at such a fundamental level that I'm not even interested in seeing him developed, and I'm not able to appreciate Apu's episodes as much as if they were another character.

The discussion with Oprah about minstrelry is also strange to me. I never thought of Apu as equivalent to minstrelry before. Granted, I'm from Canada rather than the U.S. and I think I became aware of the existence of mistrelry pretty late, perhaps as a result. But even though Whoopi doesn't seem to be taking the conversation too seriously, I can't really deny the connection.

One similarity that I don't think was discussed was that the reliance on stock characters. Minstrel shows were largely based on this; you can classify characters based on which stock character they match up to. Apu is also similarly the Asian grocery store owner stock character. So even just on a clinical, academic level, I think the two are mechanically very similar. Apu is fundamentally derivative in nature; he just takes aspects of culture or representation of Indian people that the audience might be familiar with or have tested well in the past and reproduces them, because what was funny before can be funny again.

The other thing is that the Apu situation isn't new, and minstrelry demonstrates that, I think. Like Apu was for many their first or only exposure to Indian or South Asian people, blackface minstrelry spread beyond the slave states. Dixie was Abraham Lincoln's favourite song, if I recall. It wasn't just a southern tradition, it was a beloved American tradition. And since the free states didn't have black people, minstrelry was how they became exposed to them and their culture.

Not to say that racism or blackface are exclusively American, to be clear. But there was a particular genre of blackface theatre that was, as I understand it, America's first theatre traditional all of its own. And it went on to influence later media trends that were distinctly American, such as vaudeville, or the coon song that grew into ragtime. That's what I'm referring to here.

The example she brings up of the art of little German babies wanting to lick the black babies invokes the story of Yasuke, where the first black person brought to Japan meets the warlord Oda Nobunaga. Nobunaga asks if he can wash Yasuke to see if he really is black, because he's totally unfamiliar with black people and doesn't really believe that one exists.

I feel like a good comparison to Apu is Will from The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air. I've heard Will compared to as a minstrel figure, since we're supposed to laugh at his zany antics and his black culture, but they also humanize him throughout. But what makes that more genuine is that even within the show, Will isn't the only example of a black person, so you can't point at him as the only example of one. Will and Carlton can have a conversation about what it means to really be black; who could Apu have that conversation with without creating a new character to have it?

Apu is pretty lame, but I think the real issue isn't with the character himself, it's the environment he's built into. I don't think you could fix Apu without either building a whole environment around him in The Simpsons or building a whole environment around him in order media that shows non-stereotype characters. There's basically nothing you can do with Apu himself aside from just having him disappear silently, which doesn't really resolve anything, it would just be a way for The Simpsons to avoid the issue.

As an aside, when seeing Hank Azaria, I suddenly remembered that he plays Phoebe's nerdy researcher lost love from Friends. I sometimes leave that show on for background noise when I exercise, so I know and like that character. It's uncomfortable thinking that such a seemingly likable guy is the man behind the "thank you, come again" that I grew tired of before I left the playground.

When Dana Gould appears, there's a tenseness in his facial expression and the topics he brings up that feels a lot more serious and uncomfortable than any other conversation in the film. Everything else is pretty lighthearted and jocular. Seeing things like that so many times has make me wonder if there isn't a totally different experience that some people have with regards to the subjects of ethnicity and cultural identity.

I'm not white, so I can't say for sure, but I feel as though white people in North America often have a much weaker sense of their particular identity being their particular identity. It certainly isn't all of them; there are certain white ethnic groups who are very aware of how they are distinct. But the point is that we're comfortable with being part of a particular culture. There are a lot of mixed marriages in my family and one of my oldest friends who I spend the most time with is Afro-Caribbean, so we our cultural experiences often come up in conversation, how they're similar and how they differ.

As an bit of an aside, food's always a great opportunity to see these differences. There's a certain range of spiciness which is too mild for me to even detect, but is too hot for some white or East Asian people that I know to be able to handle. I've been asked to taste test for people with disasterous results.

The sense that I get is that mentioning to a white person that they're white is often much more shocking and uncomfortable than mentioning to me that I'm Indian would be, to the point that the former might get a reaction equivalent to an ethnic slur in some cases. Or, that when faced with the topic of ethnicity, they start approaching the situation like they're in a minefield. Like, "how do I survive this situation without looking like a racist".

To be clear, neither of these are sins in and of themselves. I don't think we should be going up to Dana Gould and trying to entrap them or anything, I don't think Hari's doing that here. You just want people to relax and approach the conversation honestly.

But for some people, I do think that ends up being too much to ask, and that's why Dana Gould bringing up Mr. Burns seems so passive aggressive. That's why Hank Azaria seems to be avoiding Hari. That little bit of tension that no one is really asking them to feel demands that you try to show some degree of sensitivity, and for some people, it's easier to try to shut down the conversation than to do that.

Which kind of leads to this topic. Again, I don't think I'd ever think to make a documentary about Apu myself. But it's one of the cases where the backlash is more disgusting to me than the original problem. At best, he's a still a pretty lazy stereotype character, who is often humanized through making him seem more like the American cast instead of through nuance of specificity in his own cultural experience. The thing that gets me is when you hide behind people enjoying it and it happening long enough to excuse the act, or when someone daring to question a show that you like is the limit of your sensitivity.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've been ignoring the documentary for whatever reason, but I got around to seeing most of it yesterday. I got to the part where Hank Azaria says he might be able to meet, so if he does, I don't know. But I wanted to jot down my thoughts.

There's the bit where Hari is in a room full of brown people and asks them if they ever heard the line as part of childhood bullying and they all raise their hand gives me a really strange feeling. I can't really describe it; it's just a weird way of framing the experience to me. This almost seems like a minor thing going back, and I can't recall every really talking to someone about the experience of Apu, but here are a bunch of people who have had the same experience and are just matter-of-factly acknowledging it.

When Hari Kondabolu and Kal Penn are both talking about Apu in context of their enjoyment of The Simpsons, I think I fall more on Hari's side. It didn't ruin The Simpsons at all for me. I'm not one of the more dedicated fans, but I enjoy The Simpsons and I appreciate a good Simpsons reference now and again.

But Apu just ruins my appreciation of Apu. I probably wouldn't ever think of doing a documentary on him, but I don't think I ever found him funny, and all the attempts to humanize him by showing how he's just like any other American do nothing for me. He's tainted at such a fundamental level that I'm not even interested in seeing him developed, and I'm not able to appreciate Apu's episodes as much as if they were another character.

The discussion with Oprah about minstrelry is also strange to me. I never thought of Apu as equivalent to minstrelry before. Granted, I'm from Canada rather than the U.S. and I think I became aware of the existence of mistrelry pretty late, perhaps as a result. But even though Whoopi doesn't seem to be taking the conversation too seriously, I can't really deny the connection.

One similarity that I don't think was discussed was that the reliance on stock characters. Minstrel shows were largely based on this; you can classify characters based on which stock character they match up to. Apu is also similarly the Asian grocery store owner stock character. So even just on a clinical, academic level, I think the two are mechanically very similar. Apu is fundamentally derivative in nature; he just takes aspects of culture or representation of Indian people that the audience might be familiar with or have tested well in the past and reproduces them, because what was funny before can be funny again.

The other thing is that the Apu situation isn't new, and minstrelry demonstrates that, I think. Like Apu was for many their first or only exposure to Indian or South Asian people, blackface minstrelry spread beyond the slave states. Dixie was Abraham Lincoln's favourite song, if I recall. It wasn't just a southern tradition, it was a beloved American tradition. And since the free states didn't have black people, minstrelry was how they became exposed to them and their culture.

Not to say that racism or blackface are exclusively American, to be clear. But there was a particular genre of blackface theatre that was, as I understand it, America's first theatre traditional all of its own. And it went on to influence later media trends that were distinctly American, such as vaudeville, or the coon song that grew into ragtime. That's what I'm referring to here.

The example she brings up of the art of little German babies wanting to lick the black babies invokes the story of Yasuke, where the first black person brought to Japan meets the warlord Oda Nobunaga. Nobunaga asks if he can wash Yasuke to see if he really is black, because he's totally unfamiliar with black people and doesn't really believe that one exists.

I feel like a good comparison to Apu is Will from The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air. I've heard Will compared to as a minstrel figure, since we're supposed to laugh at his zany antics and his black culture, but they also humanize him throughout. But what makes that more genuine is that even within the show, Will isn't the only example of a black person, so you can't point at him as the only example of one. Will and Carlton can have a conversation about what it means to really be black; who could Apu have that conversation with without creating a new character to have it?

Apu is pretty lame, but I think the real issue isn't with the character himself, it's the environment he's built into. I don't think you could fix Apu without either building a whole environment around him in The Simpsons or building a whole environment around him in order media that shows non-stereotype characters. There's basically nothing you can do with Apu himself aside from just having him disappear silently, which doesn't really resolve anything, it would just be a way for The Simpsons to avoid the issue.

As an aside, when seeing Hank Azaria, I suddenly remembered that he plays Phoebe's nerdy researcher lost love from Friends. I sometimes leave that show on for background noise when I exercise, so I know and like that character. It's uncomfortable thinking that such a seemingly likable guy is the man behind the "thank you, come again" that I grew tired of before I left the playground.

When Dana Gould appears, there's a tenseness in his facial expression and the topics he brings up that feels a lot more serious and uncomfortable than any other conversation in the film. Everything else is pretty lighthearted and jocular. Seeing things like that so many times has make me wonder if there isn't a totally different experience that some people have with regards to the subjects of ethnicity and cultural identity.

I'm not white, so I can't say for sure, but I feel as though white people in North America often have a much weaker sense of their particular identity being their particular identity. It certainly isn't all of them; there are certain white ethnic groups who are very aware of how they are distinct. But the point is that we're comfortable with being part of a particular culture. There are a lot of mixed marriages in my family and one of my oldest friends who I spend the most time with is Afro-Caribbean, so we our cultural experiences often come up in conversation, how they're similar and how they differ.

As an bit of an aside, food's always a great opportunity to see these differences. There's a certain range of spiciness which is too mild for me to even detect, but is too hot for some white or East Asian people that I know to be able to handle. I've been asked to taste test for people with disasterous results.

The sense that I get is that mentioning to a white person that they're white is often much more shocking and uncomfortable than mentioning to me that I'm Indian would be, to the point that the former might get a reaction equivalent to an ethnic slur in some cases. Or, that when faced with the topic of ethnicity, they start approaching the situation like they're in a minefield. Like, "how do I survive this situation without looking like a racist".

To be clear, neither of these are sins in and of themselves. I don't think we should be going up to Dana Gould and trying to entrap them or anything, I don't think Hari's doing that here. You just want people to relax and approach the conversation honestly.

But for some people, I do think that ends up being too much to ask, and that's why Dana Gould bringing up Mr. Burns seems so passive aggressive. That's why Hank Azaria seems to be avoiding Hari. That little bit of tension that no one is really asking them to feel demands that you try to show some degree of sensitivity, and for some people, it's easier to try to shut down the conversation than to do that.

Which kind of leads to this topic. Again, I don't think I'd ever think to make a documentary about Apu myself. But it's one of the cases where the backlash is more disgusting to me than the original problem. At best, he's a still a pretty lazy stereotype character, who is often humanized through making him seem more like the American cast instead of through nuance of specificity in his own cultural experience. The thing that gets me is when you hide behind people enjoying it and it happening long enough to excuse the act, or when someone daring to question a show that you like is the limit of your sensitivity.

Hey man, this is a great post and I'm glad you took time to write it. Don't really have anything to add other than I read it all and appreciated the input.

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017

I agree with your points about minstrels but I'd say that is the entire cast of the Simpsons. The only issue is that basically all of the other cultural stereotypes have a bigger point of reference in popular media. E.g. fat Tony isn't the only representation of an Italian in popular culture in fact the are loads. Homer Simpson isn't the only example of a typical American slob. Every caricature creates in the Simpsons could be offensive to those affected by the stereotype but there aren't many other frames of reference for Indians living in America other than Pay and therefore people find it hilarious to assume all Indian Americans own a convenience store and will "thank you, come again you because of this.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Hey man, this is a great post and I'm glad you took time to write it. Don't really have anything to add other than I read it all and appreciated the input.

Thanks! It's really just off-the-cuff thoughts, so I wasn't sure if there would be anything worthwhile in all that.

I agree with your points about minstrels but I'd say that is the entire cast of the Simpsons. The only issue is that basically all of the other cultural stereotypes have a bigger point of reference in popular media. E.g. fat Tony isn't the only representation of an Italian in popular culture in fact the are loads. Homer Simpson isn't the only example of a typical American slob. Every caricature creates in the Simpsons could be offensive to those affected by the stereotype but there aren't many other frames of reference for Indians living in America other than Pay and therefore people find it hilarious to assume all Indian Americans own a convenience store and will "thank you, come again you because of this.

Yeah, I think that's fair. It's also worth noting that The Simpsons is set in a small American town. If you had a whole group of Indian people there just so that Apu wasn't alone, then you threaten that setting. It makes sense for the setting to be predominantly white, right?

That's again why I feel like the problem with Apu is difficult to solve with Apu himself. The one thing that I that I think maybe they could do to try to fix Apu is maybe write a character profile, then hand it to a bunch of Indian writers who get to go into deeper detail with different parts of that profile. Have someone find things that they know intimately and build on them intimately.

Like, we have an episode where Homer experiments with Roman Catholicism and is brought back to the true flock of the "Western Branch of American Reform Presbylutheranism" or something like that. That reflects a specific American experience, I think. America's dominantly a Protestant country, but within that you have all these various independent churches that look more-or-less the same from outside. They don't give them a specific denomination and it wouldn't be a joke if they did, but they're tying them to that experience of being from these absurdly specific denominations.

Can you give Apu something similar? We know Apu's a Hindu, we know that he has a shrine to Ganesh. But Hinduism isn't any more monolithic than Christianity: you have the major branches like Vaishnavism to Shaivism start with. Has it ever been said whether he's one of those? Or maybe he fits into a smaller one. Hinduism also has a much more fluid relationship with gods in that you can look at the all the gods as an aspects of one god, and from there you can look at that one god as the entirety of existence. Can you imagine if Apu was put somewhere on that scale?

By my own suggestion, I think that I shouldn't be able to write this. My family hasn't been Hindu for hundreds of years. I don't think we'd be from the same region, and I emigrated at a young age. I think an experience that's narrow to that point would feel a lot more fleshed out. Apu is a stereotype because he's a skimming of culture, so you could attempt to change that by making him into a deep dive.

Last edited:

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
Hearing that Apu was a big problem for indian americans is not surprising at all. Throughout my years I've been surprised many times by how ignorant I am to what people of color have to go through, but I really don't know how you could miss this one.

My entire generation's sense of humor was basically founded on The Simpsons. We repeated every Simpsons joke ad-nauseam any opportunity we could find. I don't know if us idiot kids could even identify a Scotsman from an Italian in a way that we could recognize the opportunity to reference Simpsons, but it was pretty damn easy to identify a way to reference Simpsons in reference to a south asian person, and we would never hesitate to pull out the simpsons quote once we found the opportunity.

Given that, I don't know how anyone could be surprised when someone brings up how annoying it is to so constantly be compared to that caricature, and that the comparison was brought up a ton.

I don't really buy into the idea that if there was more south asian representation we wouldn't have brought up Apu so much. I think Apu is just unique in the Simpsons universe as a commonly reoccurring non-white skinned racist caricature, and we latched onto that because Simpsons were the Gods of comedy for us.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks! It's really just off-the-cuff thoughts, so I wasn't sure if there would be anything worthwhile in all that.

Yeah, I think that's fair. It's also worth noting that The Simpsons is set in a small American town. If you had a whole group of Indian people there just so that Apu wasn't alone, then you threaten that setting. It makes sense for the setting to be predominantly white, right?

That's again why I feel like the problem with Apu is difficult to solve with Apu himself. The one thing that I that I think maybe they could do to try to fix Apu is maybe write a character profile, then hand it to a bunch of Indian writers who get to go into deeper detail with different parts of that profile. Have someone find things that they know intimately and build on them intimately.

Like, we have an episode where Homer experiments with Roman Catholicism and is brought back to the true flock of the "Western Branch of American Reform Presbylutheranism" or something like that. That reflects a specific American experience, I think. America's dominantly a Protestant country, but within that you have all these various independent churches that look more-or-less the same from outside. They don't give them a specific denomination and it wouldn't be a joke if they did, but they're tying them to that experience of being from these absurdly specific denominations.

Can you give Apu something similar? We know Apu's a Hindu, we know that he has a shrine to Ganesh. But Hinduism isn't any more monolithic than Christianity: you have the major branches like Vaishnavism to Shaivism start with. Has it ever been said whether he's one of those? Or maybe he fits into a smaller one. Hinduism also has a much more fluid relationship with gods in that you can look at the all the gods as an aspects of one god, and from there you can look at that one god as the entirety of existence. Can you imagine if Apu was put somewhere on that scale?

By my own suggestion, I think that I shouldn't be able to write this. My family hasn't been Hindu for hundreds of years. I don't think we'd be from the same region, and I emigrated at a young age. I think an experience that's narrow to that point would feel a lot more fleshed out. Apu is a stereotype because he's a skimming of culture, so you could attempt to change that by making him into a deep dive.

Apu has been more than a cardboard cutout in terms of his character, life, personality etc so examining his religion doesn't change the underlying problem. The reason Apu is offensive is at the moment of his creation the crux of the joke was "South Asians sound funny". It wasn't laughing with him because he made a good joke but laughing at him because a white man was making fun of his fake ass accent.

No number of episodes devoted to Apu can change that fact that he is inherently a racist caricature.

They don't need to kill him, they don't need to have an entire episode devoted to the issue, they can just have Hank Azaria talk in his regular voice suddenly. Then either ignore the change in accent totally or have Apu tell Homer he thought that's what Americans wanted Indians to sound like and then look right at the camera.

peyrin

Oct 27, 2017
California
That doesn't change the fact that it's still a white guy voicing a brown character. All the issues with the show today trace back to its overwhelmingly white male writing team, so if they want to make progress and respond to the documentary appropriately that's the place to start. Not that it's actually gonna happen but yea.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Apu has been more than a cardboard cutout in terms of his character, life, personality etc so examining his religion doesn't change the underlying problem. The reason Apu is offensive is at the moment of his creation the crux of the joke was "South Asians sound funny". It wasn't laughing with him because he made a good joke but laughing at him because a white man was making fun of his fake ass accent.

No number of episodes devoted to Apu can change that fact that he is inherently a racist caricature.

They don't need to kill him, they don't need to have an entire episode devoted to the issue, they can just have Hank Azaria talk in his regular voice suddenly. Then either ignore the change in accent totally or have Apu tell Homer he thought that's what Americans wanted Indians to sound like and then look right at the camera.

I guess you could concentrate on the voice, but that would still be weird in the same way that havin g Apu's nephew chew him out for being a stereotype is weird. It's harmful for Hank Azaria to voice Apu with that mock accent, but that's not the fault of the character. It's the fault of the actor. It's the fault of how the accent is framed as a joke.

Having said that, people have accents. Adult immigrants perhaps especially so. It took my father years before he started to pronounce the R in "fork", and his isn't particularly heavy. There isn't any way that Indians are supposed to speak. We speak how we speak. If Apu's voice is just supposed to represent the character having an accent, as a character, he isn't doing anything wrong.

I like the idea of cutting to Hank Azaria in the booth; like, it would really be better if they broke the fourth wall because the problem lies beyond it. Putting the blame on Apu would be distracting from the real world people who actually deserve it.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
That doesn't change the fact that it's still a white guy voicing a brown character. All the issues with the show today trace back to its overwhelmingly white male writing team, so if they want to make progress and respond to the documentary appropriately that's the place to start. Not that it's actually gonna happen but yea.

The problem for the Simpsons is that these shows normally have multiple characters voiced by the same person. If they were starting the show now then yeah, you'd have a black voice actor, maybe an Indian one, an Asian one but they aren't going to hire an Indian person just to voice Apu and they aren't going to create half a dozen new characters for this new voice actor.

Edit: And to be honest, after almost 30 years it doesn't even really matter. The damage is done. All that I want is for them to admit that yes, it was an offensive and harmful stereotype but they're too cowardly to even do that. Dana Gould trying to claim making fun of millionaires and minorities is the same thing is proof of that.

Last edited: