• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I wonder if some of this stuff like the Pym Particles being reverse engineered is in some extended cut.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Let's not even think about Cap leaving his alternative universe life and likely children and grandchildren potentially forever to come back just to give Sam his shield...rather than just sending the shield back with a goddamn note.

He could just go back to the alternate after he hands the shield off...

Deleted member 34788

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 29, 2017
To me, the explanations make sense.

The real shocker is fat Thor was mostly CGI on the body. Couldn't tell for the life of me.

That's some damn good CGI.

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
Stormbreaker could potentially cut Thanos arm, like it did with the Thanos from the prime timeline. But something I've been thinking about Endgame's 2014 Thanos:

The Thanos at the end isn't just younger, but also way less experienced with the infinity stones than the one in Infinity War. Maybe like Tony said, that Thanos was indeed unbeatable, or if Thor had aimed for the head.

Deleted member 13645

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why not use the time stone to bring back Tony, then destroy the stones, then everybody gang up on Thanos and he has nothing special to fight with, uh......

I assumed that the point of the snap wasn't just Thanos. He had a massive army with him. The heroes were starting to get overwhelmed by the end of it. They also had promised to return the stones to the timelines they took them from in order to not fuck over those timelines. If they didn't snap they risked throwing away their own timeline by Thanos and his army winning, or throwing away the timelines they borrowed the stones from.

Deleted member 671

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We're still in the original timeline, the new timelines are the ones they went back to. So like, a new world where Loki wasn't captured at the end of the avengers

Okay, so each area they went to was a parallel world basically where the stones were removed and they brought them back to their reality. So somewhere out there in the multiverse there's a Ancient One gave Bruce the time stone but in the Prime universe there was no Bruce to go back and ask her. So still Mutliverse theory, but instead of travelling back in their own time stream they traveled to different realities and/or created different realities.

Gorthaur

Oct 28, 2017
Mmmmm people aged five year but not the dusted ones. I'm gonna cross two shows but it would be nice if the people from the plane in "Manifest" where dusted people.

Ok ok I know the way out. Don't mind my overthinking mind.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Did I understand this right. Thanos needed the pym particles for his army. This means, that when they entered the portal in 2014, the traversed the Quantum Realm, and came out the portal in 2023, right? The portals were entrance and exit points to the quantum realm, since it comes from the time machine in the Avengers HQ.

CosmicGP

"This guy are sick"
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
He wanted to live a full life with Peggy, so he likely went back to the MCU timeline some time after she died.

If he did it any earlier, he wouldn't be able to go back to her, since the characters can only travel to a point further back in their timeline.

Yeah this is very obviously why he's so old. Does Cap age slower than normal humans? He could've even stayed until after his children have died. It's his own alternate reality, he could do whatever the hell he wanted, lol.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Did I understand this right, from the last question, it seems that travelling back in time doesn't create an alternate timeline, but only when you change something that happened differently in the past does it break out into an alternate timeline.

So the Avengers landing back in 2012 and watching themselves from that time didn't create the alternate timeline. But Bruce going to talk with TAO at the Sanctorum created an alternate timeline. And when Tony/Scott messes up and Loki steals the Tesseract that created another alternate timeline where he is now free.

Tony going back to the 70s and talking to his dad could have created an alternate timeline, but probably didn't, since he didn't reveal his real identity and so it was so minor that it just course corrects.
technically being there does cause a split as even the smallest things dove tail outta control. think of it like any multi-person card game: no one would get the same cards or even have the same chance of winning if 2 peoples spots were changed at the table as the shuffling has now dramatically changed over the course of the game. if any time traveler was spotted it would cause a chain reaction.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Did I understand this right, from the last question, it seems that travelling back in time doesn't create an alternate timeline, but only when you change something that happened differently in the past does it break out into an alternate timeline.

So the Avengers landing back in 2012 and watching themselves from that time didn't create the alternate timeline. But Bruce going to talk with TAO at the Sanctorum created an alternate timeline. And when Tony/Scott messes up and Loki steals the Tesseract that created another alternate timeline where he is now free.

Tony going back to the 70s and talking to his dad could have created an alternate timeline, but probably didn't, since he didn't reveal his real identity and so it was so minor that it just course corrects.

Nah, simply existing in a timeline where they otherwise wouldn't exist means it's an alternate timeline.

How far that timeline was deviates from those that it Parallels would depend on how much they change.

If they were to grab an object, unseen, and put it right back when/where they got it, that timeline would likely continue to mirror to original timeline.

Christian

Oct 25, 2017
Why not use the time stone to bring back Tony, then destroy the stones, then everybody gang up on Thanos and he has nothing special to fight with, uh......

Who is going to do this? We saw what snapping twice did to Thanos, what snapping once did to Hulk, what snapping once did to Tony. you're asking for at least one more snap, to destroy the stones. Who is going to snap those times that won't die, that won't require an ADDITIONAL snap to come back? And how are they going to coordinate this when a fucking war for reality is happening all around them? Come on.

Dekevo

Oct 27, 2017
Who is going to do this? We saw what snapping twice did to Thanos, what snapping once did to Hulk, what snapping once did to Tony. You're asking for two more snaps: to revive Tony, and to destroy the stones. Who is going to snap those times that won't die, that won't require an ADDITIONAL snap to come back? And how are they going to coordinate this when a fucking war for reality is happening all around them? Come on.

Maybe Captain Marvel, I know, I just want Tony back :(

luca

Oct 25, 2017
They are already ignoring it with the next spider-man movie.
What? They seem to commit to this thing. The Russos literally just said that the 5 year timeskip sticks, and that all of Peter's friends were dusted, but others moved on to college. And other's lives changed. Zendaya have been out teasing what she knows of FFH, so I'm pretty sure they're gonna explore this in Far From Home and moving forward.

It seems a lot of the hanging threads some people are unsatisfied with currently, but then we'll get all our answers throughout Phase 4. Just be patient.

Auros01

Avenger
Nov 17, 2017
It seems a lot of the hanging threads some people are unsatisfied with currently, but then we'll get all our answers throughout Phase 4. Just be patient.

Seems like many people are unsatisfied because maybe they expected this movie to be the "end" or wrap up most of the ongoing stories when, in fact, it's also being leveraged as a springboard for the next batch of content.

I agree with you, though - if people are patient, I think there's going to be a lot of additional pay-off from the upcoming Disney+ shows and even the next few movies.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Something I'd like answered:

Why didn't the Avengers (and Banner specifically) try to bring people killed before the snap like the Asgardians (incl Hemdall and Loki), Vision and heck, maybe even Quicksilver? Did they just forget about them? Hulk even said he tried to ring back Natasha (who wasn't snapped).
The movie answered this for you. It didn't work. You can't bring back dead people.

So that shows us that those who have been killed by the wish of the snap, can be returned with the snap, the mechanic that killed them.

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
So there is an alternate reality where Loki's scepter disappeared and Loki escaped with the time stone, one where Pym particles were stolen and a safe broken into (but nothing taken), amd one where Cap went back to Peggy.

dark494

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Seattle
Q:Peggy Carter was probably already married and in her mid 40s in 1970, in that case what year was it that Captain America went back to dance with her?

A:We can't answer it for now, this is a story that happened in an alternate reality. Maybe it will be revealed in the future.

Q: Did Captain America's action at the end affect the timeline? Does that mean there was a time where two CA existed in a same universe?

A: To me, CA's action in the end wasn't the fact he wanted to change anything, it's more like me has made a choice. He chose to go back to past and lived with the one he loved for the rest of his life. The time travel in this movie created an alternate reality. He lived a completely different life in that world. We don't know how exactly his life turned out, but I'd like to believe he still helped many others when they were needed in that world. Yes, there were two CA in that reality, it's just like what Hulk said, what happened in the past has already happened. If you go back to past, you simply created a new reality. The characters in this movie created new timeline when they went back to the past, but it had no effect to the prime universe. What happened in the past 22 movies was still canon.

Q: What about those people who got dusted? What did those five years mean to them? Why didn't they grow older when undusted?

A: Yes, those people whom was lucky to survive the snap are 5 years older than the people who just got back. The reason Spider Man saw his friend again in high school at the end was simply because his friends was unfortunately also dusted like Spider Man was.

Q: EG's plot, is it a parallel universe or a closed time loop?

A: Nope, not a time loop. Both Ancinet One and Hulk were right. You can't change the future by simply going back to past. But it's possible to create a different alternate future. It's not butterfly effect. Every decision you made in the past could potentially create a new timeline. For example, the old Cap at the end movie, he lived his married life in a different universe from the main one. He had to make another jump back to the main universe at the end to give the shield to Sam.

DJGolfClap

Avenger
Apr 28, 2018
Vancouver
The only lingering question I had is how "A Wrinkle In Time" still got made with half the population gone. Wonder what its box office receipts were in the MCU timeline

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
It's definitely better to not think about this movie's plot at all.

I can't believe some would think multiple realities and timelines are a cop out or something new when that stuff has been part of Marvel comics forever.

Just because it's in a comic book doesn't mean it's any good.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
A: There is a guy called Maw in his army, he was a great wizard. Thanos himself was a brilliant genius as well. Those two easily reverse engineered and mass produced Pym Particles.

Well, this sure leaves the door open for some stuff to happen...

Robdraggoo

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bummed to hear that black widow and games are not coming back. At least not with the soul stone. Figured that would have been the plot for guardians 3.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
the time stone is hilarious OP. you could theoretically bring it with you to voromir, sacrifice a loved one, reverse their death after getting the soul stone, and then walk away while red skull has permament anime shocked face.

also this has been bothering me. since the infinity stones were creations of said universe and contr it, how come stones made in alternative realities which are different universes able to affect the mainline universe? i guess they're the same ones but dont the stones in the comics not work that way?

Auros01

Avenger
Nov 17, 2017
A: There is a guy called Maw in his army, he was a great wizard. Thanos himself was a brilliant genius as well. Those two easily reverse engineered and mass produced Pym Particles.

Well, this sure leaves the door open for some stuff to happen...

I mean, this is what I took away from the whole movie. I feel like the introduction of time travel and the multi-verse along with the continued use of the quantum realm basically means the possibilities are endless for Phase 4 and beyond (including the TV shows).

dark494

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Seattle
the time stone is hilarious OP. you could theoretically bring it with you to voromir, sacrifice a loved one, reverse their death after getting the soul stone, and then walk away while red skull has permament anime shocked face.
It's literally called out that reversing anything undoes the stones. You don't get to have your cake and eat it too.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
What would have stopped Thanos (or anyone with pym particles and a quantum bracelet) from going back in time to bring an Alt-Thanos forward with them as a "backup" plan in case something went wrong?

Hell, you could bring an army of Alt-Thanos' into the same time thread.if you kept jumping back to like a minute before each previous jump you made.

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That's another possibility. I know 2014 Gamora has replaced present-day Gamora, so there is less interest in whether she can come back from being in the Soul Stone (or if she is even there, by the MCU's rules). However, Black Widow now becomes the most interesting person involved with the Soul Stone shenanigans.
I'm pretty confident the inroad to the prequel film will be some sort of "life flashing before her eyes" sort of thing, and she will be returned/changed into another character by someone key to the The Eternals film, as a lead in to that one. Other wise these two films seem very esoteric and disconnected so far.

Oct 25, 2017
The time travel in this movie created an alternate reality. He lived a completely different life in that world. We don't know how exactly his life turned out, but I'd like to believe he still helped many others when they were needed in that world.

Oh thank god. This was my biggest beef with the ending. Was really not into the idea that Cap would sit on his ass when bad shit went down just to preserve the timeline. His character is too stubborn for that. Same with Peggy.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's literally called out that reversing anything undoes the stones. You don't get to have your cake and eat it too.
that doesnt actually happen with vision. wanda or dormmamanus arent affected when the stones are used because you can localize the effect. theres zero reason why the snap would be undone if they reversed tonys death or someone who died on voromir. what they shown counters what has been said in this interview.

heck, even then they could reverse tony, have hulk or captain marvel stand there, do the snap themselves. at a point it comed down to there are some inconsistencies and they wont admit it. they want their cake and eat it too.

Auros01

Avenger
Nov 17, 2017
I'm pretty confident the inroad to the prequel film will be some sort of "life flashing before her eyes" sort of thing, and she will be returned/changed into another character by someone key to the The Eternals film, as a lead in to that one. Other wise these two films seem very esoteric and disconnected so far.

Wow, that's a pretty cool idea, as well. Hadn't considered that.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Oh god, everything even makes less sense now.

So in the 'main' timeline, Cap did return.

So future movies take place in which timeline again?

Maybe this is made up or a bad translation.