Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
There will be a short released that eventually shows how that rat would have died if not for something random Tony does

Ok, but unless the future is deterministic, meaning there's no effective branching past Strange's choice, then there's million other futures where Tony doesn't do that thing.

How can Strange know he will do that thing? Either saving Tony sets them on a path where events are set in stone and the mouse will always do that thing (or rather, there's only one universe and timeline unless someone makes a change, meaning the statement about futures where the rat doesn't touch the button mean the Russos don't really know what they're saying) or there must be some influence Strange had to ensure that out of million possible outcomes, the rat would do its thing in that specific timeline.

The Russos stated that among the million futures Strange saw, only in a few the rat did what he needed to do. They also state he saves Tony because Tony is needed for the snap. So what does he do to ensure the rat does his part?

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
You are right to be confused, but the movie has a bit of a honeymoon period right now hence people can probably do what I am doing and make up a servicable answer.

It might have been he returned to 2012 and put it back there, Earth was just really lucky during the 80s, 90s, and 00's not to have anything go too wrong.

The main problem is that Steve can return the Stone, not the Tesseract. The Tesseract is instrumental to several storylines past Avengers 1. That timeline is altered no matter what.

lupinko

Oct 26, 2017
The main problem is that Steve can return the Stone, not the Tesseract. The Tesseract is instrumental to several storylines past Avengers 1. That timeline is altered no matter what.

That's the same argument for the Aether or Thanos' scepter or the rock thing the Power Stone was in.

Let's just say a Wizard helped him do it.

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
What I want somebody to answer is how the Aether goes from liquid to a stone. That's 3 movies now that has conveniently not covered that.

Nov 30, 2017
This might have been explained but the Time lady said all the infinity stones had to be put back in their exact place or the main timeline we know would be fucked, that's what cap went back to do.

However Loki took the blue stone in 2012 and cap was only putting the blue stone back in the 1970s, so wouldn't Loki taking it fuck up the timeline we know?

Only seen the movie once on opening

This has been discussed a lot. When Hulk goes to talk to her she is basically telling him that they will have used the stone to save their universe but her universe now doesn't have the stone which could doom her timeline.

So she was telling him they have a moral obligation to return the stones to prevent that from happening

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
What I want somebody to answer is how the Aether goes from liquid to a stone. That's 3 movies now that has conveniently not covered that.

I mean, even if they don't explain it, it's the reality stone. It can warp any reality in its vicinity, e.g. turning drax and mantis in to string like materials when thanos used it in knowhere. Just say it's doing it itself

THErest

Oct 25, 2017
This might have been explained but the Time lady said all the infinity stones had to be put back in their exact place or the main timeline we know would be fucked, that's what cap went back to do.

However Loki took the blue stone in 2012 and cap was only putting the blue stone back in the 1970s, so wouldn't Loki taking it fuck up the timeline we know?

Only seen the movie once on opening day so it's becoming more confusing by the the day.

She isn't in the timeline we know. Every past setting is a parallel universe.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
This has been discussed a lot. When Hulk goes to talk to her she is basically telling him that they will have used the stone to save their universe but her universe now doesn't have the stone which could doom her timeline.

So she was telling him they have a moral obligation to return the stones to prevent that from happening

Well, she was also worried that if they failed, her timeline would be screwed up too, which is why she's not convinced by his nobility, but by him mentioning that this is part of Strange's plan.

Smash-It Stan

Oct 25, 2017

Only seen the movie once on opening day so it's becoming more confusing by the the day.
That time line is fucked, because Loki got away with that stone. Thats why they went back FURTHER to grab the stone from Iron Mans dad and steal more Pym Sauce to be able to get back.

The Timeline that Nebula, War Machine, Widow and Hawkeye went to is also fucked, because that universe now has no Thanos, Gamora or Nebula.

The Aether being extracted from Jane is weird because it's a liquid, how would that get returned is beyond me.

This is making less and less sense as I type it unless I'm missing something obvious...

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
That time line is fucked, because Loki got away with that stone. Thats why they went back FURTHER to grab the stone from Iron Mans dad and steal more Pym Sauce to be able to get back.

The Timeline that Nebula, War Machine, Widow and Hawkeye went to is also fucked, because that universe now has no Thanos, Gamora or Nebula.

The Aether being extracted from Jane is weird because it's a liquid, how would that get returned is beyond me.

This is making less and less sense as I type it unless I'm missing something obvious...

I guess by "fucked" you mean "different from the main"

We don't know the ultimate ramifications of Loki getting away in the 2012 timeline. It could end up being a net positive.

The 2014 timeline losing Thanos is most likely a net positive for that universe.

As far as the Aether- iirc Jane was in Asgard to get the Aether removed from her body. Now that work is already done. The Stone being in its proper place in space-time is probably more important than it being in its original form.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
I don't quite remember what Ronan wanted to do in the first Guardians of the Galaxy but it's likely without Gamora to influence Starlord, there's nobody to stop him.

The point is returning the stones back to where they got them was mainly to try to minimize the differences, but no way they were going to eliminate them (especially because they screwed up), so alternate timelines started anyway.