• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Fox318

Oct 25, 2017
The PSU and parts shortage is exactly why I rushed my PC build.

I'm just lucky I had a microcenter near me to help with stuff I couldn't get online.

Oct 29, 2017
Whats up experts.

I'm back with questions with the Costco computers. I mostly understand the limitations of buying prebuilts like this but. I was going to get this one one.

Processor & Memory:
  • 9th Gen Intel® Core™ i7-9700K 8-Core Processor 3.6GHz
  • 16GB DDR4 2666MHz RAM
Drives:
  • 3TB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive + 480GB SATA III Solid State Drive
  • No Optical Drive
Operating System:
  • Microsoft® Windows 10 Home (64-bit)
Graphics & Video:
  • 8GB NVIDIA® GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Graphics
  • Monitor not included
Communications:
  • Wireless-AC WLAN
  • 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN
Audio:
  • Integrated High Definition Channel Audio Processing
Keyboard & Mouse:
  • Gaming USB Keyboard + Gaming USB Mouse
Expandability (Total Slots):
  • 1x PCIe 3.0 x16
  • 4x DIMM 288-pin
  • 2x 3.5" Internal
  • 2x 2.5" Internal
Ports & Slots:
  • 1x PS/2 (Keyboard/Mouse Port)
  • 4x USB 3.1 Gen1 (Supports ESD Protection)
  • 2x USB 2.0 (Supports ESD Protection)
  • 1x HDMI
  • 1x DisplayPort 1.2
  • 1x Optical SPDIF Out Port
  • 1x (RJ45) LAD Port with LED (ACT/LINK LED and SPEED LED)
  • HD Audio Jacks: Rear Speaker / Central / Bass / Line in / Front Speaker / Microphone (Gold Audio Jacks)
Additional Information:
  • Liquid Cooled
  • Power Supply: 650W
  • Dimensions: 17.7" x 8.07" x 18.1"

But they actually added some more models around the same price. Which one would be the best? We will be using it primarily for music production and some gaming. Nothing terribly hardcore but I would like to play modern games at high enough settings for a few years.

Processor & Memory:
  • 10th Gen Intel Core™ i7-10700F Processor at 2.9GHz
  • 16GB DDR4 RAM
Drives:
  • 2.0TB SATA Hard Drive + 500GB PCIe NMVe M.2 Solid State Drive
  • No Optical Drive
Operating System:
Graphics & Video:
  • 8GB NVIDIA GeForce® RTX 2070 SUPER Graphics
  • Monitor Not Included
Communications:
  • 802.11 Wireless-AC WLAN
  • 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN (RJ-45 Connector)
Audio:
  • Integrated 7.1 High Definition Channel Audio Processing
Keyboard & Mouse:
  • USB Gaming Keyboard
  • USB 7 Colors RGB Gaming Mouse
  • 2x 3.5" Internal
  • 4X 2.5" Internal
  • 2x PCI-E x16
  • 2x PCI-E x1
  • 1x M.2
  • 4x DIMM 288-pin
Ports & Slots:
  • 1x PS/2 Style
  • 6x USB 3.1 (2x Front, 4x Rear)
  • 2x USB 2.0 (2x Front, 2x Rear)
  • 3x Audio Jack
  • 1X RJ-45 LAN
  • 1 X HDMI
  • 2x DisplayPort
Additional Information:
  • Liquid Cooled
  • Power Cord Included
  • 800W Power Supply
  • Dimensions : 18.9" x 17.6" x 8.9"

Processor & Memory:
  • 9th Gen Intel® Core™ i7-9700K 8 Core Processor 3.6GHz
  • 16GB DDR4 2666MHz RAM
Drives:
  • 2TB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive + 240GB SATA III Solid State Drive
  • No Optical Drive
Operating System:
Graphics & Video:
  • 8GB NVIDIA® GeForce® RTX 2070 SUPER™ Graphics
Communications:
  • Wireless-AC WLAN
Audio:
Keyboard & Mouse:
Expandability (Total Slots/Bays):
  • 1x PCIe 3.0 x16
  • 4x DIMM 288-pin
  • 2x 3.5" Internal
  • 2x 2.5" Internal
Ports & Slots:
  • 1x PS/2 (Keyboard/Mouse Combination Port)
  • 4x USB 3.1 Gen1
  • 2x USB 2.0
  • 1x HDMI
  • 1x Display Port
  • 1x DVI-D Port
  • 1x LAN (RJ45) Port
  • 7.1 Channel Audio
  • HD Audio Jacks: Line in /Front Speaker / Microphone
Additional Information:
  • Liquid Cooled

I know some of you are more serious about PC builds and might have some qualms about these pre-builts. You can let me know if there are MAJOR issues but overall I'm just looking for which of these you would buy for a first PC.
It's between #1 and #2. #3 is worse than both.
1) 9700K + 2080 Super + 480GB SATA SSD
potentially worse for productivity CPU (8 cores, but only 8 threads), Faster gaming GPU, Slower SSD.

2) 10700F + 2070 Super + 500GB Nvme SSD
similar speeds but potentially better for productivity CPU (8 cores, 16 threads), slower gaming GPU, Faster SSD.

#1 is the better strictly gaming machine because GPUs matter most but the CPU is also faster out of the box despite being older because it is the K model .

#2 has a faster SSD and it having 16 threads may benefit you for work, but this is something you have to check with your particular software of choice. GPU is not as powerful, but the difference is not big.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's between #1 and #2. #3 is worse than both.
1) 9700K + 2080 Super + 480GB SATA SSD
potentially worse for productivity CPU (8 cores, but only 8 threads), Faster gaming GPU, Slower SSD.

2) 10700F + 2070 Super + 500GB Nvme SSD
similar speeds but potentially better for productivity CPU (8 cores, 16 threads), slower gaming GPU, Faster SSD.

#1 is the better strictly gaming machine because GPUs matter most but the CPU is also faster out of the box despite being older because it is the K model .

#2 has a faster SSD and it having 16 threads may benefit you for work, but this is something you have to check with your particular software of choice.
I'm a super novice so could you explain what you mean regarding the work vs game performance split? I honestly just assumed a rig powerful enough to game on would do everything else just fine

Oct 29, 2017
I'm a super novice so could you explain what you mean regarding the work vs game performance split? I honestly just assumed a rig powerful enough to game on would do everything else just fine
Two things mostly:

a) The CPU. Games (today) don't take advantage of as many cores and threads as professional applications they rely more on the speed of the CPU, mind you not every productivity application does either (looking at your Photoshop). So while both CPUs would be similar for games because the speed is not very different, the one having 16 threads would benefit applications that can take advantage of those.

b) The opposite occurs with GPUs. Games can take advantage of every little bit of power the GPU offers, while most applications do not need it. Even visual software like video editing software still rely more on the CPU than on the GPU.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Two things mostly:

a) The CPU. Games (today) don't take advantage of as many cores and threads as professional applications they rely more on the speed of the CPU, mind you not every productivity application does either (looking at your Photoshop). So while both CPUs would be similar for games because the speed is not very different, the one having 16 threads would benefit applications that can take advantage of those.

b) The opposite occurs with GPUs. Games can take advantage of every little bit of power the GPU offers, while most applications do not need it. Even visual software like video editing software still rely more on the CPU than on the GPU.
I assume #1 would be able to handle music production just fine. But #2 might be better for it? Like you said it might come down to what software you use but generally?

Oct 29, 2017
I assume #1 would be able to handle music production just fine. But #2 might be better for it? Like you said it might come down to what software you use but generally?
Yeah, it depends on the software you use. I'm not familiar with music production so I can't really say. There probably are benchmarks online if the application is a popular one.

Another thing to consider is that the SSD in #2 is very likely 4 times faster than the one in #1. Mind you this doesn't affect workflow much but programs installed in it would open faster, windows would boot faster. I would recommend getting additional SSDs at some point. Both come with mechanical hard drives, but you only have about 500GB of SSD storage in either.

Last edited:

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it depends on the software you use. I'm not familiar with music production so I can't really say. There's probably are benchmarks online if the application is a popular one.

Another thing to consider is that the SSD in #2 is very likely 4 times faster than the one in #1. Mind you this doesn't affect workflow much but programs installed in it would open faster, windows would boot faster. I would recommend getting additional SSDs at some point. Both come with mechanical hard drives, but you only have about 500GB of SSD storage in either.
SSD and RAM im not worried about in the first one as reviews mention it has slots for upgrades.

Alright I think I'm gonna go with #1, thanks for the help

opticalmace

Oct 27, 2017
Played some Civ 6. 6700k, 2070, 1440p 144hz.

About 33% CPU usage (avg) and 95% GPU. Kinda interesting. 6700k still trucking along I suppose.

maped

Mar 7, 2018
Played some Civ 6. 6700k, 2070, 1440p 144hz.

About 33% CPU usage (avg) and 95% GPU. Kinda interesting. 6700k still trucking along I suppose.

Cpu is only really stressed when opponents make their moves and affects the time their turns take to calculate, so avg usage really tells you nothing. I think Gamers Nexus has Civ6 turn times in their cpu test slate if you want to see where you're really at.

opticalmace

Oct 27, 2017
Cpu is only really stressed when opponents make their moves and affects the time their turns take to calculate, so avg usage really tells you nothing. I think Gamers Nexus has Civ6 turn times in their cpu test slate if you want to see where you're really at.
That's true. I'll take a look thanks.

5 years is around when I normally replace CPUs... maybe I should go to the Ryzen 4000 series when they come out, but we'll see I suppose.

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Do we expect the next generation of NVIDIA cards to support Freesync/Freesync 2 like the 10XX and 20XX lines have done so?

Whats up experts.

I'm back with questions with the Costco computers. I mostly understand the limitations of buying prebuilts like this but. I was going to get this one one.

Processor & Memory:
  • 9th Gen Intel® Core™ i7-9700K 8-Core Processor 3.6GHz
  • 16GB DDR4 2666MHz RAM
Drives:
  • 3TB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive + 480GB SATA III Solid State Drive
  • No Optical Drive
Operating System:
Graphics & Video:
  • 8GB NVIDIA® GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Graphics
  • Monitor not included
Communications:
  • Wireless-AC WLAN
Audio:
Keyboard & Mouse:
  • 1x PCIe 3.0 x16
  • 4x DIMM 288-pin
  • 2x 3.5" Internal
  • 2x 2.5" Internal
Ports & Slots:
  • 1x PS/2 (Keyboard/Mouse Port)
  • 4x USB 3.1 Gen1 (Supports ESD Protection)
  • 2x USB 2.0 (Supports ESD Protection)
  • 1x HDMI
  • 1x DisplayPort 1.2
  • 1x Optical SPDIF Out Port
  • 1x (RJ45) LAD Port with LED (ACT/LINK LED and SPEED LED)
  • HD Audio Jacks: Rear Speaker / Central / Bass / Line in / Front Speaker / Microphone (Gold Audio Jacks)
Additional Information:
  • Liquid Cooled

But they actually added some more models around the same price. Which one would be the best? We will be using it primarily for music production and some gaming. Nothing terribly hardcore but I would like to play modern games at high enough settings for a few years.

Processor & Memory:
  • 10th Gen Intel Core™ i7-10700F Processor at 2.9GHz
  • 16GB DDR4 RAM
Drives:
  • 2.0TB SATA Hard Drive + 500GB PCIe NMVe M.2 Solid State Drive
  • No Optical Drive
Operating System:
Graphics & Video:
  • 8GB NVIDIA GeForce® RTX 2070 SUPER Graphics
  • Monitor Not Included
Communications:
  • 802.11 Wireless-AC WLAN
  • 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN (RJ-45 Connector)
Audio:
  • Integrated 7.1 High Definition Channel Audio Processing
Keyboard & Mouse:
  • USB Gaming Keyboard
  • USB 7 Colors RGB Gaming Mouse
  • 2x 3.5" Internal
  • 4X 2.5" Internal
  • 2x PCI-E x16
  • 2x PCI-E x1
  • 1x M.2
  • 4x DIMM 288-pin
Ports & Slots:
  • 1x PS/2 Style
  • 6x USB 3.1 (2x Front, 4x Rear)
  • 2x USB 2.0 (2x Front, 2x Rear)
  • 3x Audio Jack
  • 1X RJ-45 LAN
  • 1 X HDMI
  • 2x DisplayPort
Additional Information:
  • Liquid Cooled
  • Power Cord Included
  • 800W Power Supply
  • Dimensions : 18.9" x 17.6" x 8.9"

Processor & Memory:
  • 9th Gen Intel® Core™ i7-9700K 8 Core Processor 3.6GHz
  • 16GB DDR4 2666MHz RAM
Drives:
  • 2TB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive + 240GB SATA III Solid State Drive
  • No Optical Drive
Operating System:
Graphics & Video:
  • 8GB NVIDIA® GeForce® RTX 2070 SUPER™ Graphics
Communications:
  • Wireless-AC WLAN
Audio:
Keyboard & Mouse:
Expandability (Total Slots/Bays):
  • 1x PCIe 3.0 x16
  • 4x DIMM 288-pin
  • 2x 3.5" Internal
  • 2x 2.5" Internal
Ports & Slots:
  • 1x PS/2 (Keyboard/Mouse Combination Port)
  • 4x USB 3.1 Gen1
  • 2x USB 2.0
  • 1x HDMI
  • 1x Display Port
  • 1x DVI-D Port
  • 1x LAN (RJ45) Port
  • 7.1 Channel Audio
  • HD Audio Jacks: Line in /Front Speaker / Microphone
Additional Information:
  • Liquid Cooled

I know some of you are more serious about PC builds and might have some qualms about these pre-builts. You can let me know if there are MAJOR issues but overall I'm just looking for which of these you would buy for a first PC.
If i was u mate i would go for the first one (i7 9700k rtx 2080 super). brilliant build for the price. a mate of mine bought a i7 9700k without the graphics card for £1000 so i would deffo go for that one :)

Oct 27, 2017
Two questions.

Despite having ordered my parts for my build, I've decided to return them and wait for 3000 series cards, and Ryzen 4000 chips. I'm assuming that they will most likely release at the same price point as current generation components? With next gen coming I want to see what they offer. Would a 3060 be comparable to a 2070 or a 2070 Super? I know we don't have definitive answers but curious on opinions.

And, has anybody used Monoprice monitors? They have a 1440/144 curved 27" VA panel (400nits) for $250 which seems like a great deal.

Deleted member 51957

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 14, 2019
So my case came in and now I'm amped to build. Problem is I was planning on waiting for Ryzen 4000, which has no definitive date. Now I'm thinking I'll just pop a Ryzen 3600 in there for now so I can build out the rest and have a computer for the next few months. Is there no ETA on the 4000? If it's 3-4 months I think I can wait, but if it isn't until November I think I'd rather eat the $150 on a 3600.

I do have two questions though:

motherboard: it appears that everyone was looking forward to b550s because they would be less expensive but still offer many of the same features as the 570 boards. I've seen some prices listed and that doesn't seem to be the case? Just wondering if I'd be missing out on anything if I just got a 570 now.

Ram: hoping someone can just tell me what solid ram to buy (16 or 32 gb RGB) that will pair well with an inevitable Ryzen 4900.

CrabDust

Nov 16, 2017
I pulled the trigger on everything except for the motherboard. Going to wait for the 550's to land in a few weeks. Gonna be a tough wait, but I feel like I have to when it's this close to a clear affordable next gen upgrade.

My build:
pc parts picker link

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
I pulled the trigger on everything except for the motherboard. Going to wait for the 550's to land in a few weeks. Gonna be a tough wait, but I feel like I have to when it's this close to a clear affordable next gen upgrade.

My build:
pc parts picker link
Looks nice but I have a general question for the thread:

What's up with everyone buying meshifyC? Lol? Just curious.

CrabDust

Nov 16, 2017

Haha ikr. I think the reason you're seeing it everywhere is that It's a simple, good looking mid case with really good airflow and a bunch of side panel options. It's also one of like 3 cases that popular youtube builders use regularly. That's how I found out about it. I think it used to be a better deal around $80 not long ago.

OP
OP
Crazymoogle

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
Two questions.

Despite having ordered my parts for my build, I've decided to return them and wait for 3000 series cards, and Ryzen 4000 chips. I'm assuming that they will most likely release at the same price point as current generation components? With next gen coming I want to see what they offer. Would a 3060 be comparable to a 2070 or a 2070 Super? I know we don't have definitive answers but curious on opinions.

And, has anybody used Monoprice monitors? They have a 1440/144 curved 27" VA panel (400nits) for $250 which seems like a great deal.

Probably the same price points. It's not a hard rule but generally pricing is in tiers and one part swaps for the next (1060>2060, and so on). We don't really know the performance comparison yet as the RTX30 series is a new architecture. 20>Super was the same architecture so it was easy to paint them as "inbetween steps" (60>60 Super>70>70 Super, etc). But when the architecture changes, there can be bigger performance jumps. So yeah, maybe the 3060 will be comparable to a 2070 Super on games right now. But you'll see more difference over time as the 3060's modern architecture wins out.

In addition, Nvidia's other components (Tensor/RT cores) are advancing much faster because they aren't tied to generic GPU processing. So that situation is much like Apple's advancements in ML processing; it's possible that maybe the generic GPU sees a modest advancement while tensor and raytracing see, say, 3x boosts. We won't know until we see consumer parts, but that's what's on the table.

I haven't use the Monoprice monitors but from what I've seen reaction is mixed. You're basically just buying a random noname Korean panel as you can get on eBay. So if you find it more convenient and the return (and dead pixel) policies work for you, then it's a fine option. Monoprice really isn't doing any QC though, if they don't have an easy way to send it back I would stay far away. It's literally no different than buying from eBay if there is no advantage in support.

The downsides of these cheap monitors are random, but many:
  • Uneven backlight (honestly no backlight is perfect, but maybe the imperfections are more glaring here on bad sets)
  • Terrible stands (always the case; I won't buy a monitor without a VESA mount)
  • No frills (not really a big deal, some people like to have speakers or USB ports or 3x HDMI...)
  • Bad OSD (a very common problem, OSD is bad everywhere, but on these monitors they are also slow, which is frustrating. There are sometimes OK OSDs...but it's totally random)
  • Limited low resolution support (my personal example is that my essentially offbrand display cannot show BIOS on DisplayPort, only HDMI)
  • Technical flaws (higher change of dead/stuck pixels, scratches, sometimes one port causes the screen to blink, that sort of thing.)
The main reason I look at label displays is for that smooth user experience. In theory, depending on what you buy, you get the ports, the responsive OSD, sometimes the better specs. But it really depends on the model; I almost always buy the cheaper local displays here because the price difference between KR 1440p144 AHVA and, say, LG 1440p144 IPS is huge. But I also know that if I wanted a smooth experience across multiple devices and a return policy I would aim for LG, AOC, etc. And I'm saying that as someone who hasn't bought a name panel in 8 years. 😆

So my case came in and now I'm amped to build. Problem is I was planning on waiting for Ryzen 4000, which has no definitive date. Now I'm thinking I'll just pop a Ryzen 3600 in there for now so I can build out the rest and have a computer for the next few months. Is there no ETA on the 4000? If it's 3-4 months I think I can wait, but if it isn't until November I think I'd rather eat the $150 on a 3600.

I do have two questions though:

motherboard: it appears that everyone was looking forward to b550s because they would be less expensive but still offer many of the same features as the 570 boards. I've seen some prices listed and that doesn't seem to be the case? Just wondering if I'd be missing out on anything if I just got a 570 now.

Ram: hoping someone can just tell me what solid ram to buy (16 or 32 gb RGB) that will pair well with an inevitable Ryzen 4900.

The way things are going, I think Ryzen 4000 is Novemberish. But we truly have no ETA apart from "2020". Could come with Cyberpunk, could come end December. I'm starting to think more December, especially if the 3900XT is real, but there is absolutely precedent to have that kind of part and then still have a new CPU generation two months later.

B550 will not be much cheaper at launch, but prices will eventually come down, same as B450. But you're not missing out on anything since X570 has it beat in specs, generally. So what you're really missing out on is long term price saving, and I don't think there are enough dollars there to wait substantially. I guess it depends what board you want.

The Meshify C is a mesh case (great airflow) and it has filters, which although GN doesn't necessarily like them, I think is more "house compatible". It's also a relatively wide case and thus makes new builds easy to pull off, with grommets, preinstalled straps...it's just really well designed for builds. It also comes with two non-RGB fans and just is generally "ready to go". The other case to recommend is the P400A RGB but stock and pricing are not as reliable, it's a bit thinner, and I believe it doesn't have the filter, which is an advantage for pure airflow but a bit of a dust magnet for others. I think it's still an awesome case, just slightly less approachable. It's definitely more of a deal for intro RGB builds though.

Beyond that there are lots of cases out there, but they either have cost/airflow issues (NZXT) or one million variants with achilles heels (Cooler Master, etc). The Meshify C is almost like a car at this point with a well aged design, and you can get non-mesh/non-glass/mini variants. Heck, you can even buy replacement front panels in a variety of colors...

Last edited:

ABeezy1388

Apr 5, 2018
Hey everyone I got kind of a lame question... its a two parter...

So I have 300MBPS speed internet, sometimes upstairs I only get half that so 150, which is still solid. I have never had any issue streaming shows or movies, lately I get buffering like every few seconds and a 30 minute show takes who knows how long, its ridiculous. Anyone have any resolution to this? (For what its worth I am watching movies through a "site" that "obtains" all of their content... not sure if thats the issue? I have used this for quite a while though, over a year and I never had any issues with bufering like I do now).

Second is in relation to my motherboard and I thought that could be having an effect? Every time I start windows I get a little system notification that my bios or motherboard (forget which off hand) has updates. I click it and I get the app center app come up. I have a GIGABYTE X570 AORUS ITX WIFI and i downloaded everything that needs updates but one thing fails everytime I update it. Was wondering if anyone knows how to get around this? I am new back to the PC game as of a few months ago so learning as I go as its been a long time since I have had a windows PC. Here is a screen shot too of what will just not update:

hd6wmlK.png

Oct 27, 2017
Probably the same price points. It's not a hard rule but generally pricing is in tiers and one part swaps for the next (1060>2060, and so on). We don't really know the performance comparison yet as the RTX30 series is a new architecture. 20>Super was the same architecture so it was easy to paint them as "inbetween steps" (60>60 Super>70>70 Super, etc). But when the architecture changes, there can be bigger performance jumps. So yeah, maybe the 3060 will be comparable to a 2070 Super on games right now. But you'll see more difference over time as the 3060's modern architecture wins out.

In addition, Nvidia's other components (Tensor/RT cores) are advancing much faster because they aren't tied to generic GPU processing. So that situation is much like Apple's advancements in ML processing; it's possible that maybe the generic GPU sees a modest advancement while tensor and raytracing see, say, 3x boosts. We won't know until we see consumer parts, but that's what's on the table.

I haven't use the Monoprice monitors but from what I've seen reaction is mixed. You're basically just buying a random noname Korean panel as you can get on eBay. So if you find it more convenient and the return (and dead pixel) policies work for you, then it's a fine option. Monoprice really isn't doing any QC though, if they don't have an easy way to send it back I would stay far away. It's literally no different than buying from eBay if there is no advantage in support.

The downsides of these cheap monitors are random, but many:
  • Uneven backlight (honestly no backlight is perfect, but maybe the imperfections are more glaring here on bad sets)
  • Terrible stands (always the case; I won't buy a monitor without a VESA mount)
  • No frills (not really a big deal, some people like to have speakers or USB ports or 3x HDMI...)
  • Bad OSD (a very common problem, OSD is bad everywhere, but on these monitors they are also slow, which is frustrating. There are sometimes OK OSDs...but it's totally random)
  • Limited low resolution support (my personal example is that my essentially offbrand display cannot show BIOS on DisplayPort, only HDMI)
  • Technical flaws (higher change of dead/stuck pixels, scratches, sometimes one port causes the screen to blink, that sort of thing.)
The main reason I look at label displays is for that smooth user experience. In theory, depending on what you buy, you get the ports, the responsive OSD, sometimes the better specs. But it really depends on the model; I almost always buy the cheaper local displays here because the price difference between KR 1440p144 AHVA and, say, LG 1440p144 IPS is huge. But I also know that if I wanted a smooth experience across multiple devices and a return policy I would aim for LG, AOC, etc. And I'm saying that as someone who hasn't bought a name panel in 8 years. 😆
Dude, thank you so much. You are a ton of help.

I have enough to play on PS4/NSW, so I'm gonna wait for the new generations. Seems dumb to build right now if it's not needed.

Deleted member 35509

Account closed at user request
Banned
Dec 6, 2017
Hey everyone! I'm having issues finding what's perfect for my budget so I decided to follow the guide and ask for help. Quick question. My monitor features "AMD FreeSync". Does that mean to take advantage of it, I need an AMD GPU or will an NVIDIA card take advantage of it too? Thanks everyone.

I've been watching build videos for weeks and it's making it even harder to decide on parts so please, make the decisions for me with these answers because I have no idea what I'm doing. I have a Micro Center a few blocks from me too.

1. What's your budget and currency? 1,000 USD
  2. What do you want to use the computer for? (gaming? web? video editing? everything?) Gaming
  3. When do you plan to purchase the parts and build it? ASAP
  4. Are you reusing any parts or are you building a completely new computer? Completely new
  5. Do you only need the computer itself or do you need accessories, such as a monitor, mouse, keyboard, and speakers? Only the computer
  6. Do you want to overclock? (will make your PC faster, but requires better cooling and can have various side effects) Nope

OP
OP
Crazymoogle

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
Dude, thank you so much. You are a ton of help.

I have enough to play on PS4/NSW, so I'm gonna wait for the new generations. Seems dumb to build right now if it's not needed.

It's hardly dumb; I mean I'm probably (government forecast) going to be working from home through October. So having a build that makes that work well is ideal. And maybe you're just sitting at home and want to play games more comfortably under these complex/dramatic circumstances? Nothing wrong with that, either. You just have to weigh that against the money saved by waiting.

That's why a bunch of us - yes, including myself - bought 3600+X570, to give us something now and an upgrade path later this year. But that was because my system? 6 years old. And I'm still struggling along with a GTX970. 😆

Hey everyone! I'm having issues finding what's perfect for my budget so I decided to follow the guide and ask for help. Quick question. My monitor features "AMD FreeSync". Does that mean to take advantage of it, I need an AMD GPU or will an NVIDIA card take advantage of it too? Thanks everyone.

FreeSync is AMD's free-to-use version of G-Sync, and is effectively an open standard so you don't even need to call it an AMD thing (though they drive some parts of it themselves) Unlike G-Sync you don't need a chip, so monitor cost goes down quite a bit. It's not quite as good, but it's good?

Anyway, to use it you need:
  • A monitor supporting it (most gaming monitors support FreeSync)
  • A graphics card supporting it (anything AMD, or anything GTX10 series or above. So GTX1060, RTX, etc...)
  • A displayport or HDMI cable to link the two. I think DP is preferred but AFAIK both work...
NVidia used to support their own standard only, but recently (10 series) unlocked "G-Sync compatible" for those cards and newer. If your monitor is not on their approved list you need to make a few more tweaks but it basically works with almost any FS monitor.

Stacey

Banned
Feb 8, 2020
I have 2 x 4+4 CPU cables.

Can I use 3 of them (4+4+4) for the 8+4 CPU connector on the motherboard?

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
Hey everyone I got kind of a lame question... its a two parter...

So I have 300MBPS speed internet, sometimes upstairs I only get half that so 150, which is still solid. I have never had any issue streaming shows or movies, lately I get buffering like every few seconds and a 30 minute show takes who knows how long, its ridiculous. Anyone have any resolution to this? (For what its worth I am watching movies through a "site" that "obtains" all of their content... not sure if thats the issue? I have used this for quite a while though, over a year and I never had any issues with bufering like I do now).

Second is in relation to my motherboard and I thought that could be having an effect? Every time I start windows I get a little system notification that my bios or motherboard (forget which off hand) has updates. I click it and I get the app center app come up. I have a GIGABYTE X570 AORUS ITX WIFI and i downloaded everything that needs updates but one thing fails everytime I update it. Was wondering if anyone knows how to get around this? I am new back to the PC game as of a few months ago so learning as I go as its been a long time since I have had a windows PC. Here is a screen shot too of what will just not update:

hd6wmlK.png

Reboot your router and remove the Aorus software. It's generally just not worth installing any motherboard vendor's software because most of them are buggy pieces of crap. You can find any driver updates on their website and install them yourself if you want, so no need for some flaky app updater.

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
FreeSync is AMD's free-to-use version of G-Sync, and is effectively an open standard so you don't even need to call it an AMD thing (though they drive some parts of it themselves) Unlike G-Sync you don't need a chip, so monitor cost goes down quite a bit. It's not quite as good, but it's good?

Anyway, to use it you need:
  • A monitor supporting it (most gaming monitors support FreeSync)
  • A graphics card supporting it (anything AMD, or anything GTX10 series or above. So GTX1060, RTX, etc...)
  • A displayport or HDMI cable to link the two. I think DP is preferred but AFAIK both work...
NVidia used to support their own standard only, but recently (10 series) unlocked "G-Sync compatible" for those cards and newer. If your monitor is not on their approved list you need to make a few more tweaks but it basically works with almost any FS monitor.

The standard is "adaptive sync", G-Sync and Freesync are just different implementations of this. Nvidia makes things ever more confusing with their "G-Sync compatible" branding which encompasses both Freesync and HDMI 2.1 variable refresh rate.

On Nvidia GPUs, you can use adaptive sync on Freesync monitors over DisplayPort and HDMI 2.1 VRR on TVs (basically just the LG C9/CX OLEDs at the moment) over HDMI. Freesync over HDMI does not work on Nvidia GPUs because it was a proprietary AMD implementation originally that Nvidia did not want to reverse engineer.

So in short if you have a Nvidia GPU:
  • G-Sync monitor with a G-Sync module in it: you can use DisplayPort or HDMI.
  • Freesync aka "G-Sync compatible" monitor: you can use DisplayPort.
  • HDMI 2.1 VRR aka "G-Sync compatible" monitor: you can use HDMI 2.0 or 2.1 port.
If you have an AMD GPU:
  • G-sync monitor: No VRR for you!
  • Freesync: you can use DisplayPort or HDMI.
  • HDMI 2.1 VRR: apparently support is coming at some point, maybe by the time AMD next gen cards launch.
I would recommend sticking to DisplayPort if that is an option. HDMI is often limited in max refresh rate and possibly resolutions supported.

flkRaven

Oct 25, 2017
So have almost all the parts for my first real PC in like 12 years.

Ryzen 3600
ASUS TUF Gaming X570-Plus (Wi-Fi)
16GB Ram
512MB SSD M.2 drive
RX 590 8GB

Very excited to put it together friday. Going to immediately start jumping on those PC exclusives I've been missing

SayemAhmd

Unshakable Resolve
Dec 3, 2019
Managed to flip my 6 month old 2070S for retail just now, got a cheap 1060 on the way as an interim before Ampere drops in september (hopefully), but still won't be too boned if it doesn't.

OP
OP
Crazymoogle

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
I have 2 x 4+4 CPU cables.

Can I use 3 of them (4+4+4) for the 8+4 CPU connector on the motherboard?

Are you sure they are both CPU and not PCIe? I know some PSUs sort of fudge the labelling...if they are truly both CPU connectors (so, probably a 750W PSU?) then I guess you can plug in a piece of one for the LN2 rail. But it's completely unnecessary. You only need the 8pin rail for any consumer CPU. And if you're running Threadripper I'm guessing your motherboard has 8+8 instead of 8+4...

Anyway, in theory it should work, but you have to be absolutely sure it's a CPU rail and cable, not 6+2

The standard is "adaptive sync", G-Sync and Freesync are just different implementations of this. Nvidia makes things ever more confusing with their "G-Sync compatible" branding which encompasses both Freesync and HDMI 2.1 variable refresh rate.

On Nvidia GPUs, you can use adaptive sync on Freesync monitors over DisplayPort and HDMI 2.1 VRR on TVs (basically just the LG C9/CX OLEDs at the moment) over HDMI. Freesync over HDMI does not work on Nvidia GPUs because it was a proprietary AMD implementation originally that Nvidia did not want to reverse engineer.

So in short if you have a Nvidia GPU:
  • G-Sync monitor with a G-Sync module in it: you can use DisplayPort or HDMI.
  • Freesync aka "G-Sync compatible" monitor: you can use DisplayPort.
  • HDMI 2.1 VRR aka "G-Sync compatible" monitor: you can use HDMI 2.0 or 2.1 port.
If you have an AMD GPU:
  • G-sync monitor: No VRR for you!
  • Freesync: you can use DisplayPort or HDMI.
  • HDMI 2.1 VRR: apparently support is coming at some point, maybe by the time AMD next gen cards launch.
I would recommend sticking to DisplayPort if that is an option. HDMI is often limited in max refresh rate and possibly resolutions supported.

laxu with the awesome explanation that digs into all of the details I couldn't recall!

guys, help me out here... moving from a GTX 1080 to an RTX 2070 Super is a good upgrade?

Not really? The 1080 is pretty good...sure, the 2070 will improve your performance but not by a huge amount. You'll see more dividends at 1440p/4k...but I mean here's a comparison from 2019.

Deleted member 51957

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 14, 2019
The way things are going, I think Ryzen 4000 is Novemberish. But we truly have no ETA apart from "2020". Could come with Cyberpunk, could come end December. I'm starting to think more December, especially if the 3900XT is real, but there is absolutely precedent to have that kind of part and then still have a new CPU generation two months later.

B550 will not be much cheaper at launch, but prices will eventually come down, same as B450. But you're not missing out on anything since X570 has it beat in specs, generally. So what you're really missing out on is long term price saving, and I don't think there are enough dollars there to wait substantially. I guess it depends what board you want.

Awesome! Thanks for the perspective on the CPU releases and the board info. Now I'm so conflicted, since X570 boards are nowhere to be found and I imagine that will be the same for b550s when they come (or, if not, they will be more expensive as we noted).

I started looking at b450s since I am starting to think PCIe4 won't be as important for the next 5 years from a gaming perspective (I don't want to upgrade my PC for another 5 years at least). I even started looking at the new intel line-up just cause I don't want to wait. Gah.

PhantomFFR

Oct 25, 2017
Vienna, Austria, EU, Earth
guys, help me out here... moving from a GTX 1080 to an RTX 2070 Super is a good upgrade?

Unless you were able to sell your GTX 1080 for a really good price I don't think 33% more performance justifies the expenditure. Or to put it another way, you probably would have been better of, had you bought a 1080Ti instead of the 1080 in terms of performance, money and value. Also considering the not too distant launch of the RTX 30xx series, buying a 2070 Super now for the regular price seems like an unwise decision.

I can confirm it is a superb upgrade. Just bought Control from EGS with the 10 code and I run the game at 2K wiht 60FPS, everything on max. If you can not wait for the 3000 series, I would say 2070 S is a great choice.

What metrics do you use to consider it a "superb" upgrade? The price/perfomance does not appear very favorable, which I would consider a prerequisite for "superb".

Last edited:

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Awesome! Thanks for the perspective on the CPU releases and the board info. Now I'm so conflicted, since X570 boards are nowhere to be found and I imagine that will be the same for b550s when they come (or, if not, they will be more expensive as we noted).

I started looking at b450s since I am starting to think PCIe4 won't be as important for the next 5 years from a gaming perspective (I don't want to upgrade my PC for another 5 years at least). I even started looking at the new intel line-up just cause I don't want to wait. Gah.

This X570 is available to order now but won't be in stock for a couple more weeks.

Amazon.com: GIGABYTE X570 I AORUS Pro WIFI (AMD Ryzen 3000/X570/Mini-Itx/PCIe4.0/DDR4/USB 3.1/Realtek ALC1220-Vb/DisplayPort 1.4/2xHDMI 2.0B/RGB Fusion 2.0/Gaming Motherboard): Computers & Accessories

Buy GIGABYTE X570 I AORUS Pro WIFI (AMD Ryzen 3000/X570/Mini-Itx/PCIe4.0/DDR4/USB 3.1/Realtek ALC1220-Vb/DisplayPort 1.4/2xHDMI 2.0B/RGB Fusion 2.0/Gaming Motherboard): Motherboards - Amazon.com ✓ FREE DELIVERY possible on eligible purchases

IvanSlavkov

Oct 27, 2017
Bulgaria
What metrics do you use to consider it a "superb" upgrade? The price/perfomance does not appear very favorable, which I would consider a prerequisite for "superb".

Well I bought my ROG 2070 S last November with a 15% discount around BF. So far there is no single game that can slow it down on max/ultra settings. Cyberpunk will show if I need to jump on the 3000 series when they come out.

fracas

Oct 27, 2017
Man the 3700x is a beast! Glad I went with it. The H510i was a joy to build in as well. I know it's a pretty mainstream case and my PC looks like many others, but it's a really well-designed case in terms of layout and overall thoughtfulness. Temps seem fine with both GPU and CPU; CPU didn't go over 65C under stress and that was really impressive, especially since I'm using a wraith prism.

Only thing I dislike is the start up time. My 665p SSD is performing great, but apparently my mobo (x570 TUF) takes longer to boot than other boards. It's not hideous or anything, just something I might see if I can improve upon.