RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
Screenshot_20231207_213939_Twitch.jpg

You ain't getting your primogems

Wane

Nov 3, 2019
As someone who just deleted Genshin (and will probably download it again when 5.0 drops) I cannot fathom would anyone could vote Genshin in good conscience.

Yes, the post launch support the game has received is amazing. The constant new updates, events, areas etc. makes the game feel ever evolving and growing. Like, right before the players eyes.
Yes, Fontaine might be an even better addition to the game than Sumeru - which is the point where Genshin truly started coming into its own.

But no. It is not more groundbreaking than an entire new game. It is the same exact game it always has been - but now with some barebones diving mechanics.

The reason why people vote for Genshin anyway, is that the game is frighteningly efficient at pushing all other games off your radar and monopolising all the time you have to play games.

How they accomplish this is a long story but it involves every just about every kind of shitty, manipulative design ever conceived.
I am hands down very impressed at how they managed to make FOMO a permanent feature - and that the simple act of buying a thing, has become it's own game.

Make no mistake: many people are literally addicted to getting primogems - and it is being dripfed to the players at every opportunity. That's why it is easy for them to buy votes without even promising the player base anything.

Don't support the business model behind this game - if you don't want other games to emulate it. I certainly wouldn't.

Ascheroth

Oct 25, 2017
My bet was correct.
Same amount as last year's. What did I win?
Yeah, they literally give the same amount of freebies for awards and nominations every year regardless of whatever the actual awards and nominations are.
I think it's amusing that the folks shouting loudly about them "bribing the playerbase" probably contribute to part of the playerbase actually believing that nonsense, which means they spread it as well and then detractors spread it again and it's all just a circle of misinformation fueled by both diehards and haters alike.

rzks21

Banned
Aug 17, 2023
More than anything else, seeing BG3 win makes me happy as it once and for all shows that you can do top down turn-based games and still have mainstream appeal. It might not seem like a huge thing after the fact but earlier this year and over the past decade we had seen a few beloved developers claim that doing so was commercial suicide.

I really hope this gets Microsoft to invest in proper CRPGs by inXile and Obsidian. The first-person RPGs look cute and all but I will always consider it a waste to have these studios try to churn out action combat mechanics and utterly fail at it whereas they have shown with Wasteland 3 and PoE2 that they are capable of great things when allowed to design systems on their own terms.

Bonus point if Square Enix goes full circle with their "FF should always try new things bruh" philosophy and does grid-based combat in a mainline FF game.