Votes: 353 24.0%
  • Wait until PS5 and play it on that

Votes: 419 28.5%

• Total voters

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
This thread has to be a joke... potentially-quite-bad graphics? Gtfo

and there is no dillema, hugely anticipated games need to be played as soon as possible... Why wait months if you have the possibility? Do people not play games on PC because Nvidia will release a new gpu in half a year? Lol come on. I havent seen any thread about anyone skipping games on Xbox for the Series X too.

not to say that there is nothing confirmed regarding better framerate (60fps, I can inderstand the "improvement" here though) or better res (lol this has to be a joke, not play in 4k cb or 1440p and wait months to play in real 4k? Seriously?)

I think everyone considering not playing now (if they have the means and are hyped) should lose their true gamer credentials.

SweetBellic

Oct 28, 2017
As someone who primarily plays on PC, I'm already accustomed to waiting to play better versions of games months after their initial subpar release. This is usually made easier when there's some announcement or some reassurance that that better version is coming, which is the case with TLoU2 and GoT with confirmation of enhanced BC for PS4 on PS5. Of course, playing the better versions of those games also involves a substantial hardware investment, so I'd like to learn more about PS5 before making a final decision (hopefully they'll sell me with the June event).

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
Sold my PS4 a year ago. I'll play from Spiderman onwards on PS5, at a cheaper price.

Also count me in on the list of weirdos who wait for new cards to play older games at higher refresh rates.

I have a huge backlog so this is a win-win for me.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2019
Playing at launch on a PS4 Pro

the games are still going to look and play great, I'll want to play next gen games on PS5

the only title that I could probably hold off on is cyberpunk

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't this what happened with TLOU1 and and such wtih the PS4? Granted, the PS4 doesn't have backwards compatibility, but if you're worried wait for PS5 to come out an get the remastered version or whatever of TLOU2 and/or GoT

Oct 29, 2017
Pretty sure it's safe to say majority of the people will play through it multiple times, the latest video from the inside episodes of the last of us, one of the devs admitted on the first play through you won't be able to max out Ellie, so multiple play through maybe needed.

Will do 1 play through on the pro and then the next on PS5.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
I'm surprised so many are planning on waiting for the 5, almost a third!

That's what I'm planning on doing though. I moved last August and sold a bunch of stuff I wasn't using, I actually was still playing my PS4 but I figured it made sense to sell it while it was still worth something and catch up on exclusives when the 5 launches. I'm pretty excited, Death Stranding, TLoU2, and the new version of Persona 5 should keep me busy for quite awhile regardless of what new games we end up getting at launch.

OP
OP
Plum

Plum

May 31, 2018
This thread has to be a joke... potentially-quite-bad graphics? Gtfo

and there is no dillema, hugely anticipated games need to be played as soon as possible... Why wait months if you have the possibility? Do people not play games on PC because Nvidia will release a new gpu in half a year? Lol come on. I havent seen any thread about anyone skipping games on Xbox for the Series X too.

not to say that there is nothing confirmed regarding better framerate (60fps, I can inderstand the "improvement" here though) or better res (lol this has to be a joke, not play in 4k cb or 1440p and wait months to play in real 4k? Seriously?)

I think everyone considering not playing now (if they have the means and are hyped) should lose their true gamer credentials.

It's not a joke, why would it be? It's not a very funny one.

As for the rest; my personal reasons for waiting for the PS5 is the fan noise from the PS4 Pro and not the Pro's graphics. I've got no doubt after playing recent Sony-published titles that the PS4 Pro version is going to be look incredible, but I also know that my only other option at launch is the PS4 Slim version at a maximum of 1080p/30fps. That's a fairly sizeable jump for games which are seemingly priding themselves on how good they look.

I won't get into the "true gamer credentials," bit lol

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm waiting for PS5, simply because I just bought a LG OLED and have no other 4k device/pro/x. Might as well get full value out of it.

jman1954goat

Linked the Fire
May 9, 2020
What dilemma?

If there's an opportunity to play them on better hardware and in a better form mere months from launch, why wouldn't you wait?

Especially given we don't know what the upgrade/cross buy situation is yet for PS5.
I would play last of us part 2 right away even if it looked and played like the old ps3 game.

PeterLegend

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Good luck to you guys/girls trying to avoid spoilers until November. I'm playing on my PS4 Pro, then trading it in when there are deals...

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The difference between PS3 and PS4 TLOU is pretty huge, so I get where OP is coming from. I'd say if framerate is a big deal for you, then hold off. If not, the graphical difference likely won't be that huge.

beelulzebub

Oct 25, 2017
Hmmm, that might be something to try. Thanks for the suggestion! :)

Already addressed that, read the thread.
Lifelong tinnitus sufferer here, but headphones are definitely usable, you'll just need to invest in some good closed back ones and a decibel meter to measure it once you've set the volume of them. If you can't, then, yeah, no worries.

s y

Nov 8, 2017
To the people playing at launch on Pro: How are you getting around the noise issue?

Are yours just miraculously quiet when playing high-intensity games or are you just wearing headphones or something?

I wish there was a way for me to mitigate it but I can't use headphones (I've sworn off using those for long sessions) and i don't really think I can reduce the noise levels myself.
Install a replacement fan

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
If you got the console just play it. I mean look at the times we are living, one might not even make it to the release of PS5.
If you can hold on, you should probably wait until the BC situation of PS5 is further explained.
Personally, I think we'll get next gen ports in 2021 with Part 2 getting Multiplayer and Tsushima possible getting a DLC/Expansion.

Sangetsu-II

Oct 26, 2017
The answer is very easy, play the games on normal on PS4 at launch and then play them on Hard boosted with PS5 and get that platinum!

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
It's extremely easy to wait for Tsushima and see if there's a PS5 version or a boost mode or whatever. There's plenty of other games to play, my PS4 Pro is excessively loud and that "you're not a true gamer" garbage up there is embarrassing. I'll play TLoU2 day one but I'm putting off anything beyond June until the PS5 comes out just to have a nice big build up of stuff to play on it.

OP
OP
Plum

Plum

May 31, 2018
Just realised I should have probably added an option for a "mixture" (so GoT on PS4 and TLoU:P2 on PS5 or TLoU:P2 on PS4 and GoT on PS5).

Ah, well.

Scruffy8642

Jan 24, 2020
Will probably make my decision once we see the showcase. Depends on cross-buy, any performance increases, PS5 launch/near launch games ect. I'm not desperate for something to play now, and having more to play on PS5 near release is a big incentive. Plus they're gonna be some of the best looking games of all time, so I think it'd be nice to experience them at their best. Only gonna be a few month wait anyway.

Speaking of fan noise anyway, had to pull out my OG PS4 recently due to not having access to my Pro and I'm shocked how quiet it is. Have it on my desk pretty close to myself and haven't heard it once in days now. Surprising after a year with a Pro being audible from meters away.

Last edited:

Ovvv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 11, 2019
Yeah that's not an option for me. I'm not risking my hearing any more by playing a game loudly on headphones (which is what is required with the Pro).

You can adjust game volume in headphones on the Pro if that changes things. I've got tinnitus myself and that's what I do

cmdrshepard

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
TBH after seeing the TLOU2 leaks I am happy to wait till PS5 to play it and hopefully might be on discount by then.

Ghosts though looks right up my alley but again I would love to try to wait till PS5 and just work on my pile of shame in the meantime

Quick note about a certain term
OP
OP
Plum

Plum

May 31, 2018
You can adjust game volume in headphones on the Pro if that changes things. I've got tinnitus myself and that's what I do

Thanks, but I'm going to stick with it.

Also, and this isn't personal or anything (seriously, no worries), but can people stop writing that word (the 't' word) in here? I know it's relevant (as I did bring it up myself...) but simply seeing it is a legitimate trigger for me. I'l threadmark this post so people can see.

beelulzebub

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks, but I'm going to stick with it.

Also, and this isn't personal or anything (seriously, no worries), but can people stop writing that word (the 't' word) in here? I know it's relevant (as I did bring it up myself...) but simply seeing it is a legitimate trigger for me. I'l threadmark this post so people can see.
If you're referring to me, not trying to trigger you, just trying to give my own coping mechanisms. Apologies if I didn't help things. I'll step out of the thread now.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
It's not a joke, why would it be? It's not a very funny one.

As for the rest; my personal reasons for waiting for the PS5 is the fan noise from the PS4 Pro and not the Pro's graphics. I've got no doubt after playing recent Sony-published titles that the PS4 Pro version is going to be look incredible, but I also know that my only other option at launch is the PS4 Slim version at a maximum of 1080p/30fps. That's a fairly sizeable jump for games which are seemingly priding themselves on how good they look.

I won't get into the "true gamer credentials," bit lol
I was mostly joking, dont take it that serious
the pro really is loud though, not enough for me to consider not playing games though

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Will probably play TLoU2 at launch to avoid spoilers. Ghost I don't know yet. I can wait on that one. Will see after reviews come out.

OP
OP
Plum

Plum

May 31, 2018
I'm gonna move back down to my PS4 Slim for now and test out some slightly older games to see how 'OK' I am with how they run. Namely Days Gone (as GoT will probably be on a similar level of tech to it), God of War (as it's the most recent 'cinematic' PS4 exclusive) and Uncharted 4 (because it's Naughty Dog's game and I don't own The Lost Legacy).

Then based on how I feel about those I'll make my final decision, but right ow I'm veering towards "deal with the lesser graphics." i'm able to do that with literally every single Switch game (and personally I think Animal Crossing is one of the most visually pleasing games I've played in a while).

In the end though, and this is a bit of a tangent, but this all just makes me wish that PCSS was a thing in console gaming. That honestly does to resolution what Variable Refresh Rate did to fixed-hz displays.

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
There's no dilemma for me, I'm playing these right away on PS4. Especially The Last of Us 2. No way am I waiting to play that.

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
I'll be playing TLOU at launch for sure. Gotta be a part of that zeitgeist.

The other one I can wait on, if I get it at all. We'll see how it reviews.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Play at launch. As a PC guy I'm kinda immune to this sort of dilemma as an upgrade is always over the hill. Wouldn't be able to play any games otherwise.

Yasuke

Oct 25, 2017
No dilemma for me. Won't have any till CP2077 drops. I feel like I'm a wait to play that one on PS5.

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
I will wait for confirmation that there will be "smart delivery" and buy at launch(GoT). If there isn't, I'm not buying it twice so will just wait for PS5 version. Not sure about The Last of Us 2 yet.

DreadfulOmen

Feb 6, 2018
I'll play tlou 2 on launch because i don't want the story to get spoiled. Haven't watched any of the recent trailers either.

Akauser

Oct 28, 2017
London
What makes you think the PS5 wont sound like a hairdryer? and that if the game is even supported? Or if its supported but the same level as on PS4? Too many variables and ifs and buts... I'll make my decision if Sony tells me otherwise before The Last of Us' launch if not then day 1 on PS4 Pro becuase it will at that point be the best way to enjoy the game.